Stew was a True Aggie! Why?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » March 27th, 2021, 1:45 pm

Stew was courted several times by the Eweniversity of Ewetah several times and always turned them down. He knew he was king in Cache Valley. Stew also had other schools across the nation wanting him. He knew he had it good here. For me, that is why I look at Stew as a True Aggie! I tell two of my kids that graduated from the Ewe that I am glad they got a degree but then I always say, you know your not a True Grant! My son that lives in Hyde Park got his EE degree from USU. I tell him he is a True Grant and, gets all that I have when I go by way of the Earth! The other kids just say woo what’s he going to get your doll head collection?

At least Larry Eustachy stayed 5 years!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 4):
AggieFBObsessionUSU78cdaAgAggieArmy

FL350Aggie

Re: Stew was a True Aggie! Why?

Post by FL350Aggie » March 27th, 2021, 1:54 pm

It’s because the older generation knew it wasn’t just about them. This younger coaching generation is only about number 1. Which is fine get paid, but the the athletes are left hanging and caught in the crossfire.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
mcaggie1

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 27th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Stew grew up in Provo and was essentially part of the culture, he had loads of friends and family, some of whom I knew pretty well. He had a support system, that's what kept him grounded in Utah. Stew was a great Big West Coach, and a good WAC coach, but that's about it. I'm happy we had him and continue to wish him well in retirement.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
mcaggie1AggieFBObsession

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 27th, 2021, 1:59 pm

Coaching contacts have gotten out of control. Stew was loyal but there weren't teams throwing $18 million at him or even whatever the amount would have been adjusted for inflation. It started with football and had spilled over into basketball. Stew could have made more money no doubt but he had a good thing going and it wouldn't have been as big of a jump as coaches are getting now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
oleblu111

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 27th, 2021, 2:04 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 1:59 pm
Coaching contacts have gotten out of control. Stew was loyal but there weren't teams throwing $18 million at him or even whatever the amount would have been adjusted for inflation. It started with football and had spilled over into basketball. Stew could have made more money no doubt but he had a good thing going and it wouldn't have been as big of a jump as coaches are getting now.

Most definitely. The disparity is only getting bigger, and it doesn’t seem like it’s ever going to slow down.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 27th, 2021, 2:24 pm

troutputz wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 1:45 pm
Stew was courted several times by the Eweniversity of Ewetah several times and always turned them down. He knew he was king in Cache Valley. Stew also had other schools across the nation wanting him. He knew he had it good here. For me, that is why I look at Stew as a True Aggie! I tell two of my kids that graduated from the Ewe that I am glad they got a degree but then I always say, you know your not a True Grant! My son that lives in Hyde Park got his EE degree from USU. I tell him he is a True Grant and, gets all that I have when I go by way of the Earth! The other kids just say woo what’s he going to get your doll head collection?

At least Larry Eustachy stayed 5 years!
Stew was a true Aggie, as defined by not leaving the program he successfully inherited and sustained) because his aging mother lived in Logan. Stew was born in Provo and attended Ricks College and then Gonzaga. Je had no ties to USU. Stew left CSU after 7 years. It was a lateral move for no other reason than to continue coaching and be near family. Otherwise Stew had no particular loyalty to USU. After Stew found success in Logan he rode the wave until he retired and by the time he did it was time — perhaps a little past time. Stew wasn’t a sexy up and coming young coach. He was a bit boring and not an eye-catcher for schools looking for a coach. I believe Stew’s longevity in Logan was more a product of his familial situation and his comfort zone (or perhaps his discomfort in picking up and starting over again at a new university with higher expectations while in his mid-50’s) rather than pure loyalty to USU.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 27th, 2021, 2:48 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:

Stew had the opportunity to be courted by Utah but he never took it seriously. He wasn't looking for a stepping stone when he came to Utah State for personal reasons as well as being old school. It was both a benefit and a detriment for Utah State that he was "old school", probably mostly a benefit.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
cdaAg

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 27th, 2021, 2:54 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Stew had the opportunity to be courted by Utah but he never took it seriously. He wasn't looking for a stepping stone when he came to Utah State for personal reasons as well as being old school. It was both a benefit and a detriment for Utah State that he was "old school", probably mostly a benefit.
Utah was in the WAC and MWC back then. The job would have come with a raise but nothing life changing and the pressure would have been higher.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 27th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Stew stayed because it was comfortable. He knew after those first few year that if he won at least 20 games and made the occasional trip to the dance people would be happy. He brought up more than once how people had grown restless at CSU after he won 20 games. He didn’t want the added pressure that comes with a bigger job.
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post:
BobWilson

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 3:35 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 2:54 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Utah was in the WAC and MWC back then. The job would have come with a raise but nothing life changing and the pressure would have been higher.

Yep, I guess Stew could have taken the job when there was an opening in 2011 with Utah in the PAC 12, but at that point Stew was more than settled and the last thing he wanted to do was another move.

It would have been interesting how USU fans would have perceived him. He would have left coming off a 30-4 season with 12 straight NCAA/NIT years and the only real down year being his first year. He probably tanks at Utah considering they were in a really bad spot at that point and Stew's last few years at USU weren't great.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » April 2nd, 2021, 7:34 pm

brian5562 wrote:Stew stayed because it was comfortable. He knew after those first few year that if he won at least 20 games and made the occasional trip to the dance people would be happy. He brought up more than once how people had grown restless at CSU after he won 20 games. He didn’t want the added pressure that comes with a bigger job.
The lack of fan support is why Stew left CSU. During a gossner classic game Randy told my friends and I that they had a game where Utah was ranked and CSU was also either ranked or they were getting votes. It was a huge game for CSU. When they came out right before the introductions and the place was only half full, Stew turned to Randy and said, the next chance we have we are out of here. He was very disappointed in the support that they were receiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author blueblood for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessioncdaAg

cval

Post by cval » April 2nd, 2021, 8:37 pm

I always remember the game where we came from behind to beat Boise on a last second shot. On his way up the tunnel Stew turned around and acknowledged the student section and applauded them.

I think he really appreciated what he had in the Spectrum.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 3):
bigblue32stewusu98cdaAg

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » April 2nd, 2021, 9:12 pm

There’s a reason this forum is called Stews spectrum.
Not sure there will ever be a Craig Smith or Matt Wells forum. Those two probably don’t care.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionProvoAggiecdaAg

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » April 2nd, 2021, 10:14 pm

Stew was fantastic. He wasn't perfect. He also stayed long enough to have his imperfections on full display. I had to chuckle at the comment about the "occasional trip to the dance." He went 8 times in his first 13 years, obviously didn't go in his last four years. His stretch was phenomenal compared to what we did under the three previous coaches in the previous two decades. Stew has as many tourney appearances as LaDell and Rod Tueller combined. The obvious knock is that he only won once. LaDell has four of the Aggies' six tourney wins. Stew's one of three who've won in the tournament, along with LaDell and Dick Romney.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkAggieFBObsession

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 2nd, 2021, 10:37 pm

Stew was awesome. Loved that he stuck around and the fact that we were battling for tourney births every year. I know fans are giving Smith lots of flack for seemingly chasing the Benjamins. That may or may not be the reason he left. Lots of coaches want to be on the biggest stage and challenge themselves to see how far they can take themselves on a competitive level. Compete at the highest level. Could be that Craig has visions of competing for nation championships and going deep into the dance and felt his chances were better to accomplish that at a P6 program with more resources. Sucks for us that it was our stuck up brother.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
cdaAg

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 3rd, 2021, 6:21 am

Stew is an Aggie legend and always will be. To be clear.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
cdaAg

Stucki

Post by Stucki » April 3rd, 2021, 9:48 am

Stew didnt' leave because he didn't like media attention and never really got any in Logan.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 3rd, 2021, 1:20 pm

More than likely if you want someone who could be very good and who would stick around you are looking for someone who is not on the same list and young and upcoming coaches. Most of them will do exactly what Craig Smith did if they come here and have success. Glad we had a coach that had enough success that he was a target of other programs.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » April 3rd, 2021, 1:22 pm

I have never spoken to Stew directly about why he stayed at USU, so anything I would say would be a guess. I don’t really need to know, glad he stayed. Glad Smith came and spent 3 years here. Stew was more of a staple than your average coach - he kind of defined USU BB for a while. But I don’t think a coach will be that anymore - times have changed and at this point I just hope that while we have a coach he gives us his best. I will always be loyal to the school first, then the players, then the current coach. No sense in getting attached to a coach that will not get attached to the school. The good thing about our BB situation is we usually have a good program and are in a good conference. We will attract good, hungry, motivated coaches. Because of that they won’t stay - but they should build the program while here

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 3rd, 2021, 1:46 pm

gomretat wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 1:20 pm
More than likely if you want someone who could be very good and who would stick around you are looking for someone who is not on the same list and young and upcoming coaches. Most of them will do exactly what Craig Smith did if they come here and have success. Glad we had a coach that had enough success that he was a target of other programs.
Sure. If we hire an up and comer, USU won't be their dream destination. Reality is coaches want to get paid a ton of money and coach at as high of a level as they can.

If anyone on here wants a coach that will stay for a long time, Tim Miles is probably that coach and only because I don't think he'll be in high demand by any P5 schools after his Nebraska stint and him being in his mid 50's. He probably would be the Aggie coach until he retires if he does well.

I personally would rather have an up and comer who will come in and do a great job and move to a P5.

Locked Previous topicNext topic