What if I told you Craig Smith

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Real Life Aggie

Re: What if I told you Craig Smith

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 27th, 2021, 7:50 pm

The U consistently brings in better talent than we do, and they piss it away with mediocre leadership. Coach Smith will take the U places.

I'm not happy about it, but that's what it is. I'm glad he was here. I'm disappointed he's leaving (esp. in this way to the U), but we'll move forward with someone else.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
AndroidAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 27th, 2021, 7:52 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 6:36 pm
DCAggie24 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 6:30 pm
How much of Craig Smiths lack of recruiting was more on kids not wanting to come to Logan, UT. What if the staff as a whole connected with kids that were interested in the program but ultimately didn’t want to spend the best 4ish years of their lives in Logan? This is a genuine question. Coming off those last two seasons prior to this last one and the USU brand was probably at its height in recent memory. Maybe a top 20 ranking for a few minutes, back to back MWC Championships, two Tourney bids etc doesn’t help the brand enough to generate more interest. Or maybe Craig was that bad of a recruiter that even with all that he came away with not that much.(that we can tell).
We all revere USU, The Spectrum, and generally Cache Valley as a whole but it seems like USU had to find the players like Bean, who slip through the cracks a bit. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see recruits lining up to come play in Logan if they have other options in warmer, larger destinations(generalization). Could another coach do a better job at convincing those higher recruited kids with options?? I guess we will find out.
I've thought about this a lot but then I come back to the point that from what I saw of Wyoming this year, what the heck does Laramie offer that Logan doesn't. Or is it blasphemy to even compare?
The answer is nothing. The notion that we cant get good talent to Logan is completely false. Larry E., Stew, and even Duryea proved that really good athletes and great basketball players from all over the country can be brought to Logan, UT.

I've brought it up repeatedly but the lack of diversity on the court and on the sidelines under Craig's watch was concerning to me if the goal is to win at the highest level.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 27th, 2021, 7:55 pm

I don’t rag on smith. He did great things here.,..

but have you ever seen outside shooting as bad as this year at USU?

Stew lost tournament games because we couldn’t get a shot off against bigger athletic teams. We lost this year because we couldn’t hit wide open 3s. Shotibg wasn’t even naia worthy
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
BustaMcNutt

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 27th, 2021, 7:55 pm

I totally agree. So does this guy:
These users thanked the author freakboy for the post (total 2):
AndroidAggiesam tingey

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 27th, 2021, 8:58 pm

What’s @aggies22 take on smiths recruiting? I think to most of us it seemed lackluster, but none of us have much insight...

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 27th, 2021, 9:38 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:Stew Morrill would not have done better. But I have been really nervous that in the middle of recruiting season we have nothing announced. NADA. What has this staff been doing?
I think Stew knew how to use big men and I think Stew with Queta would have been tremendously dangerous team. My biggest gripe with Smith was we never seems to really seem to know how to get Queta the ball in good position or run many plays for him. Teach him a drop step and run a pick and roll for goodness gracious! I felt that in respect to Queta, Smith underperformed and that the last 3 hrs are completely different without Queta on the team. He does get credit for getting Queta here though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
GUS

cval

Post by cval » March 27th, 2021, 9:42 pm

I felt the same about Miller. Seemed like we should have been able to set a screen to get him an open look.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 9:56 pm

cval wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:42 pm
I felt the same about Miller. Seemed like we should have been able to set a screen to get him an open look.
Miller had plenty of open looks, he just missed them.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 27th, 2021, 10:00 pm

Agree Smith under performed. If you were down at half with Stew you knew he was making a killer adjustment and coming back. His ability to develop under athletic people, make adjustments, and use big men was in a different level from South Dakota Smith.

#hornsup!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 10:05 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:50 pm
The U consistently brings in better talent than we do, and they piss it away with mediocre leadership. Coach Smith will take the U places.

I'm not happy about it, but that's what it is. I'm glad he was here. I'm disappointed he's leaving (esp. in this way to the U), but we'll move forward with someone else.
Unfortunately this is probably true. This thread claims he underachieved, I believe the opposite. He just took a team with one superstar, but with an otherwise very flawed roster who struggled to make shots to the tournament. He'll get the most out of Utah and if he can actually learn how to recruit, he'll win a lot of games there. I don' question his coaching skills.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 27th, 2021, 10:16 pm

AgMac wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:46 pm
I hate Craig Smith. I hope he never wins another game.

But no, he didn't underperformed here.
Disagree, smith failed to develop players around Neemis, left the cupboard empty. Were you not concerned about next year or notice usu lacked supporting cast in the championship game and tourney game? That’s a direct reflection of the coach. Never beating BYU even with Merrill and Neemi??? UGH!!!! Sure he was good but I guess I was feeling a little underwhelmed. After all it’s not like we changed the forum name which means he did not exceed the bar that had been set. Stew beat BYU and grabbed an NC2A win and he did it with less. All hail Stew, now there was greatness!

#hornsup!

cval

Post by cval » March 27th, 2021, 10:24 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:56 pm
cval wrote:
Post injury that is true. Pre-injury, not true at all. There were a number of times we needed a three and he was unable to get an open look.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 27th, 2021, 10:27 pm

cval wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:24 pm
Post injury that is true. Pre-injury, not true at all. There were a number of times we needed a three and he was unable to get an open look.
Yeah, for one thing, Miller is good at hitting threes against teams like San Jose State when we don't need them. It's doing it when we need it cause we aren't playing someone we overmatch is the problem.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:16 pm
AgMac wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:46 pm
I hate Craig Smith. I hope he never wins another game.

But no, he didn't underperformed here.
Disagree, smith failed to develop players around Neemis, left the cupboard empty. Were you not concerned about next year or notice usu lacked supporting cast in the championship game and tourney game? That’s a direct reflection of the coach. Never beating BYU even with Merrill and Neemi??? UGH!!!! Sure he was good but I guess I was feeling a little underwhelmed. After all it’s not like we changed the forum name which means he did not exceed the bar that had been set. Stew beat BYU and grabbed an NC2A win and he did it with less. All hail Stew, now there was greatness!
Him not leaving USU in a good spot is a fair criticism and one I expressed before he left. Next year could be rough.

But spare me you are feeling underwhelmed. There is no Aggie fan that is being honest that if they were told 3 years ago we would win 76% of our conference games, 2 championships and be in the tournament all 3 years would say they were underwhelmed. He greatly overachieved with the roster he had this year and has been great the past 3 years. There was talk it might not be possible to win in the MW before he took over. Yet he leaves with a higher winning percentage than what Alford produced at New Mexico.

As for not beating byu, yeah it sucks. He had two games against them and lost to a bad byu team in Provo in 2018 and in a game in 2019 with Queta coming off the bench injured. He of course didn't coach against them this year. As for not beating byu with Merrill, well Merrill never had a great game against byu. He shot 2-10 and was 0-4 from 3 last year when byu won a close game. Queta played, but didn't start and was coming off an injury. I'm not going to blame Smith for that.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 10:32 pm

cval wrote:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:56 pm
cval wrote:
I know Miller is loved on this board, but the reality is Miller isn't a great college basketball player. I know that is blasphemy to say on this board, but if anything Smith gave him too much of a greenlight and played him too much. Hopefully next year he will have a much more reduced role.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 27th, 2021, 10:46 pm

This thread is ridiculous

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 11):
aggieguy13ProvoAggieAggieiesterbluegrouseAggie formerly in HawaiiReal Life AggieFullBLUERUFiOGeoAgUSUaggie and one more user

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 27th, 2021, 11:08 pm

While we are definitely missing some critical pieces, I don’t think it’s fair to Bean/Marco/Rollie to say Craig is leaving the cupboard completely bare.

Craig hit a home run with Neemi. He got a transfer from Virginia’s national championship team. He picked up the Montana player of the year. Overall his recruiting seems average for USU considering all of the misses, although most teams seem to have plenty of misses.

At this point we really need someone who can come in quickly and reassure the existing players while also hitting a home run on at least 1 of the available scholarships.

Will any current players step it up and surprise us next season.... I really hope so. I think we will need some good fortune to avoid a multi year rebuild.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
utaggies

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 11:09 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:46 pm
This thread is ridiculous

Yep. I will cheer against Craig Smith every minute he leads the enemy, but the guy was a great coach at USU.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 27th, 2021, 11:12 pm

I loved what Smith did while here. With that said, he has as many tourney wins as Duryea.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 27th, 2021, 11:20 pm

Dude was picked to come in close to last in the conference when hired, led the team to the conference and tournament title.

Got us to three straight NCAA tournament invites.

Beat multiple top 25 teams including some big conference blue bloods away from the Spectrum for the first time in many many years.

Beat a top 10 conference foe multiple times including one for a tournament championship.

Best winning percentage in the history of Utah State basketball.

Best winning percentage in mountain west tournament history.

Took walk-ons and made them into starters. Even All Conference and fringe NBA guys.

Got our first draft pick in what, 40 years? Will get us our second this next draft.

Was coach of the year his first year.

Brought in the Freshman of the year, defensive player of the year, and conference POY his first year. Oh, and did I mention he was the coach of the year?

Dude was incredible. Perfect? Obviously not, but the dude was incredible. I'm very sad to see him go but extremely happy we had him the last three years.

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 8):
vegasaggieProvoAggieaggieguy13Aggie in BoiseCanuckAggieReal Life AggieFredMeyersBLUERUFiO

stang

Post by stang » March 27th, 2021, 11:26 pm

These users thanked the author stang for the post:
CanuckAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 28th, 2021, 12:18 am

Aglicious wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:52 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
DCAggie24 wrote:
How much of Craig Smiths lack of recruiting was more on kids not wanting to come to Logan, UT. What if the staff as a whole connected with kids that were interested in the program but ultimately didn’t want to spend the best 4ish years of their lives in Logan? This is a genuine question. Coming off those last two seasons prior to this last one and the USU brand was probably at its height in recent memory. Maybe a top 20 ranking for a few minutes, back to back MWC Championships, two Tourney bids etc doesn’t help the brand enough to generate more interest. Or maybe Craig was that bad of a recruiter that even with all that he came away with not that much.(that we can tell).
We all revere USU, The Spectrum, and generally Cache Valley as a whole but it seems like USU had to find the players like Bean, who slip through the cracks a bit. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see recruits lining up to come play in Logan if they have other options in warmer, larger destinations(generalization). Could another coach do a better job at convincing those higher recruited kids with options?? I guess we will find out.
I've thought about this a lot but then I come back to the point that from what I saw of Wyoming this year, what the heck does Laramie offer that Logan doesn't. Or is it blasphemy to even compare?
The answer is nothing. The notion that we cant get good talent to Logan is completely false. Larry E., Stew, and even Duryea proved that really good athletes and great basketball players from all over the country can be brought to Logan, UT.

I've brought it up repeatedly but the lack of diversity on the court and on the sidelines under Craig's watch was concerning to me if the goal is to win at the highest level.
This is where the program has to define itself. Are we content being a mid-major team from a smallish conference that likes to load the roster with a bunch of scrappy kids from local high schools that lack the size and athleticism to compete at a high level but the locals can get behind them?

Or do we want to build a team that looks more like the teams we see winning in the NCAA tournament? The last NCAA and NBA teams to win championships that were led by guys that look like our guys were Christian Laettner's Duke Blue Devils in 1992 and Larry Bird's Boston Celtics in 1986.

Someone has to come in and decide what identity the program is going to take.

Eutaw St. Aggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 28th, 2021, 12:19 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:27 pm
cval wrote:
Yeah, for one thing, Miller is good at hitting threes against teams like San Jose State when we don't need them. It's doing it when we need it cause we aren't playing someone we overmatch is the problem.
Moot point, hopefully, he'll follow Smith to Utah (but no one else).

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 28th, 2021, 12:24 am

Yossarian wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 12:18 am
Aglicious wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:52 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
DCAggie24 wrote:

This is where the program has to define itself. Are we content being a mid-major team from a smallish conference that likes to load the roster with a bunch of scrappy kids from local high schools that lack the size and athleticism to compete at a high level but the locals can get behind them?

Or do we want to build a team that looks more like the teams we see winning in the NCAA tournament? The last NCAA and NBA teams to win championships that were led by guys that look like our guys were Christian Laettner's Duke Blue Devils in 1992 and Larry Bird's Boston Celtics in 1986.

Someone has to come in and decide what identity the program is going to take.
And which of ant of the coaches we’ve had ever came in and said, “My goal is to be mediocre!”?

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » March 28th, 2021, 8:47 am

After reading all of this **** I must conclude that he did indeed bring the magic back to the Spectrum. I hate to see him leave and I suppose he could handled this better, but we really don't know the whole story. I recall that similar things were said about Wells and others when they left. I certainly don't hate the guy!!! In fact, I hope he makes things right with the USU players etc. and develops a winning program at the U.

FredMeyers

Post by FredMeyers » March 28th, 2021, 8:56 am

treesap32 wrote:Dude was picked to come in close to last in the conference when hired, led the team to the conference and tournament title.

Got us to three straight NCAA tournament invites.

Beat multiple top 25 teams including some big conference blue bloods away from the Spectrum for the first time in many many years.

Beat a top 10 conference foe multiple times including one for a tournament championship.

Best winning percentage in the history of Utah State basketball.

Best winning percentage in mountain west tournament history.

Took walk-ons and made them into starters. Even All Conference and fringe NBA guys.

Got our first draft pick in what, 40 years? Will get us our second this next draft.

Was coach of the year his first year.

Brought in the Freshman of the year, defensive player of the year, and conference POY his first year. Oh, and did I mention he was the coach of the year?

Dude was incredible. Perfect? Obviously not, but the dude was incredible. I'm very sad to see him go but extremely happy we had him the last three years.

ImageImageImage

FredMeyers

Post by FredMeyers » March 28th, 2021, 9:01 am

treesap32 wrote:This thread is ridiculous

Right? Everyone acting like he didn’t just turn our entire program around the past 3 years. He left the program better than he found it and now he’s doing what’s best for him and his family. He has no alumni ties to USU, he came out here and accomplished a lot in a small amount of time, a coach like that is definitely going places and now he is.

We should all be grateful for what he did and hope Hartwell picks someone to keep the momentum.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 28th, 2021, 9:22 am

FredMeyers wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 9:01 am
treesap32 wrote:This thread is ridiculous

Right? Everyone acting like he didn’t just turn our entire program around the past 3 years. He left the program better than he found it and now he’s doing what’s best for him and his family. He has no alumni ties to USU, he came out here and accomplished a lot in a small amount of time, a coach like that is definitely going places and now he is.

We should all be grateful for what he did and hope Hartwell picks someone to keep the momentum.

Even if "what's best for him and his family" is nothing more than a huge af paycheck, that's legit.

afausu

Post by afausu » March 28th, 2021, 9:30 am

Great post, treesap. Some of you don’t realize just how zoobie-ish you sound. Craig did an amazing job. Brought back, at least for me, passion for basketball. Yesterday was a bummer of a day, and Craig handled it very poorly. But underperformed? What bizarro world are you living in?
These users thanked the author afausu for the post:
ProvoAggie

FredMeyers

Post by FredMeyers » March 28th, 2021, 9:40 am

afausu wrote:Great post, treesap. Some of you don’t realize just how zoobie-ish you sound. Craig did an amazing job. Brought back, at least for me, passion for basketball. Yesterday was a bummer of a day, and Craig handled it very poorly. But underperformed? What bizarro world are you living in?
Exactly Image Ya, it sucks and how he did it, but the spectrum magic is back and we are now on the map to be more nationally recognized. People saying Sam and Nemi fell in his lap? So dramatic. He help build Sam, Sam was at USU two years prior and was never utilized to his full potential until Smith arrived. I mean look at Bean even, he was a walk on sitting on the bench and Smith saw something in him no other coach took a chance on. Let’s not downplay his success and act like anybody else in his position wouldn’t of taken this job. Sucks to lose him and especially to the U, but let’s hope whoever replaces him comes in with just as much energy and potential and helps continue building our program for success.

FredMeyers

Post by FredMeyers » March 28th, 2021, 9:49 am

Does anyone know for sure that he didn’t tell the players? Just curious if anyone talked to them personally

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 28th, 2021, 9:50 am

FredMeyers wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 9:49 am
Does anyone know for sure that he didn’t tell the players? Just curious if anyone talked to them personally

Yes. People were asking the players Friday night about the reports, and the players STILL thought then that he wasn't leaving.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 28th, 2021, 10:00 am

FredMeyers wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 9:49 am

During the press conference someone asked Smith about telling his former players and he said that he hadn't talked to any of them.

coolag

Post by coolag » March 28th, 2021, 10:20 am

Okay fine we are whiners but hope Craig Smith makes Utah a winner? Come on now. That's just screams not a true aggie.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

Regulator of Class

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 28th, 2021, 10:38 am

coolag wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 10:20 am
Okay fine we are whiners but hope Craig Smith makes Utah a winner? Come on now. That's just screams not a true aggie.
Come on now, some are telling us that we should hope that coach Smith is super successful at Utah. I mean they (Utah) already treat us (USU) with the utmost respect so we should also hope they are successful. If we don't wish Utah success and hope they win every game we are being rude people because we should never hope that any other team struggles to find success.

Locked Previous topicNext topic