Aggies 22 Says It's Odom

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Re: Aggies 22 Says It's Odom

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 5th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 11:49 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 11:45 am
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:Pretty underwhelming hire tbh. Hope I'm wrong.
By what metric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's won 1 more NCAA tournament game than we have in the last 20 years, but I'm just not sold on his ability to recruit. Would've preferred Riley, but looks like he might've turned us down.
Gonna be extremely tough to recruit to UMBC.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 5th, 2021, 1:39 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm
Ryan Odom = solid 8/10 in the looks department. Will probably be with you for at least a good five years, maybe forever depending on how things go. Much more sensible decisions will be made, and it’ll still be pretty fun.
Based on what evidence?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 5th, 2021, 1:40 pm

jpswensen wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 1:36 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 12:13 pm
Can somebody let Jeff Goodman know that I beat him by 36 minutes?
Only blue checkmarks are believable.

Seriously, though, why don't you have a blue check by now?
Twitter put the Blue Checkmark program on hold a while back and hasn't resumed it yet. Anyone that already had one can keep it but no one else can apply for one.

https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-yo ... d-accounts

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 5th, 2021, 1:45 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 12:13 pm
Can somebody let Jeff Goodman know that I beat him by 36 minutes?
I assumed you were his source. :joking:

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » April 5th, 2021, 1:45 pm

Anyone know his coaching philosophies at all. Is he all about the defense, does he go with run and gun, does he use a smaller lineup? What style of play should we be expecting?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 5th, 2021, 1:48 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 1:45 pm
Anyone know his coaching philosophies at all. Is he all about the defense, does he go with run and gun, does he use a smaller lineup? What style of play should we be expecting?
WIN!

:joking:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 5th, 2021, 1:50 pm

I like that he’s from D1 coaching stock - his father Dave Odom coached at South Carolina and Wake Forest.

Nobody here knows anything.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » April 5th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Welcome aboard Coach Odom!

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » April 5th, 2021, 1:56 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 1:48 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
WIN!

:joking:
Winning would just be the outcome of whatever style he uses. I just feel that we will only keep winning at Utah State if we keep emphasis on defense and rebounding. We don’t typically get the athletically natural scoring players other schools seem to be able to get and it seems you need to have those players less when your teams identity is a defensive one.

So I am curious to see what he preaches.
Last edited by frankiesaysrelax on April 5th, 2021, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » April 5th, 2021, 1:56 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/ame ... eview-2021

This was a preview coming into the year that gives some background on how impressive his turnaround at UMBC has been and has some insight into Xs and Os.
These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post:
slcagg

SLB

Post by SLB » April 5th, 2021, 2:00 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:

These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
AggieArmy

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 5th, 2021, 2:03 pm

That article makes me even more all-in on Odom. His questionable performance in 19-20 when he went 16-17 was done while missing 3 starters for most or all of the season, 1 that missed half, and 1 more that missed 4 games. He had to use 12 starting lineups in the first 15 games. Just a brutal number of injuries, so to salvage a nearly .500 season is an impressive feat.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0AggieFBObsession

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » April 5th, 2021, 2:19 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 1:35 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 1:32 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 1:27 pm
ViAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 1:20 pm
Their fans know it's happening as well.
Do you have a link to their board?
Here is one:
https://www.basketballforum.com/threads ... um.692500/
99.9% complimentary to Odom and USU, good to see no bitterness there.
Seriously what gracious fans they have! Seems to be such a rare sight in the sports world today.
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post (total 3):
umbc32244bluegrouseBLUERUFiO

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 5th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Hi all. I've been a UMBC fan since 2004. Congrats on landing Coach Odom - you now have a new fan! Your friend ineptimusprime popped over to our board so thought I'd say hello.

While it is sad to see Odom go, he resurrected one of the worst D1 programs (previous coach was 28-95, who replaced a coach who finished 13-77) and absolutely cemented his place in program lore with the biggest two wins in school history. I can't wait to see him coach at a higher level.

Having watched nearly every UMBC game during Odom's tenure, I feel I have a good sense of what he likes to as a coach. When arriving at UMBC he was all about pace and scoring, and the team jumped to Top 20 in scoring in his first season (300th or so in defense). However, as the years have gone by and he's built his own roster, the tempo has slowed and the defense has tightened. One of our best players, Brandon Horvath, said it best when he said that they like to win '50-40.' It's not a Virginia packline defense by any means, and they'll run when needed/able, but his teams the past 3 seasons have really embraced the defensive end of the floor and made it their identity. This past season they've been top 50 in DRtg all season and only missed the NCAAs (in my opinion) because one kid from UMass Lowell made 9 3's. Primarily would run man to man - maybe a rare zone at times, and not much full court pressure, unless time was of the essence.

On offense, Odom is particularly phenomenal after time-outs. I'd check out this video for starters:

UMBC the past two seasons has run a lot of inside-out sets, but Odom seemingly always makes adjustments throughout the game. Another video rec to understand how Odom likes to run his offense would be seen here:

In terms of recruiting, he's done well for himself at a low mid major competing with 10+ schools in the Baltimore area. This past season he had two 4-year players (Horvath and Eytle-Rock, who is technically in year 3) make All America East First Team. He's also been really good identifying JUCO talent, snagging the infamous PG KJ Maura for the NCAA run, the 5'2 shifty PG Darnell Rogers and 2020 AE 6th Man of the Year Keondre Kennedy. The only knock on Odom's recruiting has been his inability to bring in perimeter shooting. However, the development of his four-year players over the years has been very impressive.

Not sure if this is helpful or wanted, but thought I'd share some thoughts. Go Aggies, and Retrievers!
These users thanked the author umbc32244 for the post (total 19):
Aggie193rdGenAggieNowhereLandAggiedirtnsnowsam tingeyFullRoy McAvoyvegasaggieflying_scotsman2.0AggieFBObsession and 9 more users

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 5th, 2021, 2:23 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
There are a whole bunch of youtube videos showing drills he runs in practice and interviews that help you learn about his philosophies. He is definitely a student of the game and not just a spokesman.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 5th, 2021, 2:24 pm

Thank you for that review! Go Retrievers!

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » April 5th, 2021, 2:24 pm

So he is from Annapolis- Don't we have to have General Odom on twitter?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 5th, 2021, 2:25 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:21 pm
Hi all. I've been a UMBC fan since 2004. Congrats on landing Coach Odom - you now have a new fan! Your friend ineptimusprime popped over to our board so thought I'd say hello.

While it is sad to see Odom go, he resurrected one of the worst D1 programs (previous coach was 28-95, who replaced a coach who finished 13-77) and absolutely cemented his place in program lore with the biggest two wins in school history. I can't wait to see him coach at a higher level.

Having watched nearly every UMBC game during Odom's tenure, I feel I have a good sense of what he likes to as a coach. When arriving at UMBC he was all about pace and scoring, and the team jumped to Top 20 in scoring in his first season (300th or so in defense). However, as the years have gone by and he's built his own roster, the tempo has slowed and the defense has tightened. One of our best players, Brandon Horvath, said it best when he said that they like to win '50-40.' It's not a Virginia packline defense by any means, and they'll run when needed/able, but his teams the past 3 seasons have really embraced the defensive end of the floor and made it their identity. This past season they've been top 50 in DRtg all season and only missed the NCAAs (in my opinion) because one kid from UMass Lowell made 9 3's. Primarily would run man to man - maybe a rare zone at times, and not much full court pressure, unless time was of the essence.

On offense, Odom is particularly phenomenal after time-outs. I'd check out this video for starters:

UMBC the past two seasons has run a lot of inside-out sets, but Odom seemingly always makes adjustments throughout the game. Another video rec to understand how Odom likes to run his offense would be seen here:

In terms of recruiting, he's done well for himself at a low mid major competing with 10+ schools in the Baltimore area. This past season he had two 4-year players (Horvath and Eytle-Rock, who is technically in year 3) make All America East First Team. He's also been really good identifying JUCO talent, snagging the infamous PG KJ Maura for the NCAA run, the 5'2 shifty PG Darnell Rogers and 2020 AE 6th Man of the Year Keondre Kennedy. The only knock on Odom's recruiting has been his inability to bring in perimeter shooting. However, the development of his four-year players over the years has been very impressive.

Not sure if this is helpful or wanted, but thought I'd share some thoughts. Go Aggies, and Retrievers!
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 5th, 2021, 2:25 pm

I'm just really hoping to get my regular seats back in the Spectrum and watch some Aggie basketball with a full arena. Here's hoping!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
AggieArmyMrBiggle

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 5th, 2021, 2:25 pm

Oh no he’s a hampden Sydney grad. I haven’t had good experiences with those guys.

Def. a good ole boys club. But that could have just been my experience.

I trust Hartwell more than my own perceptions of local schools.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 5th, 2021, 2:26 pm

umbc32244 wrote:

That’s very kind of you to assume they see me as a friend here. :joking:

Thanks for the write up!
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 5th, 2021, 2:28 pm

umbc32244 wrote:

Thank you for the thorough write-up. Very thoughtful of you to pop by and to this. Where should I send the Aggie gear to a new Aggie fan?

Also, I really hope you're wrong about perimeter shooting. We were one shooter away this year from being really good.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 5th, 2021, 2:28 pm

I like the hire, someone that has already been head coach is less of a gamble in my opinion.

Always a risk, but even Craig Smith staying presented a risk.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » April 5th, 2021, 2:29 pm

Does his wife absolutely love Logan?
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 7):
MadmartiganbluegrouseAggieFBObsessionflying_scotsman2.0mcaggie1Real Life AggieAggieArmy

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 5th, 2021, 2:30 pm

nvspuds wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:29 pm
Not as much as Eric Musselman's...
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post (total 4):
bluegrouseAggieFBObsessionAggieArmyAggiePT

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 5th, 2021, 2:35 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:30 pm
nvspuds wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:29 pm
Not as much as Eric Musselman's...
She DID NOT feel safe in Logan.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
AggieArmy

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 5th, 2021, 2:36 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:24 pm
So he is from Annapolis- Don't we have to have General Odom on twitter?
Admiral Odom

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 5th, 2021, 2:41 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 1:39 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm
Ryan Odom = solid 8/10 in the looks department. Will probably be with you for at least a good five years, maybe forever depending on how things go. Much more sensible decisions will be made, and it’ll still be pretty fun.
Based on what evidence?
I deal too much with evidence in real life to have to worry about presenting evidence on a message board. This is just a gut prediction.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » April 5th, 2021, 2:43 pm

I am a big old white dude and I don't feel safe in Logan..However, my little jest was about the departed Smith saying his wife loved Logan when he was pretending he was sticking around..

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 5th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Thank you for the thorough write-up. Very thoughtful of you to pop by and to this. Where should I send the Aggie gear to a new Aggie fan?

Also, I really hope you're wrong about perimeter shooting. We were one shooter away this year from being really good.
T-shirt size large! :lol:

To be fair, UMBC still shot a respectable 34% (about 50th percentile in D1) this season. I don't doubt Odom's ability to find shooters at USU, but if looking for a critique in a pile of successes that would be one of the only critiques I'd find. The team was top 25 or so in 3 point % in his first two seasons, so he can certainly run an offense that creates open perimeter shots. Unfortunately some of 'shot-makers' were too inconsistent to hit even the most wide-open of looks the past two years.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 5th, 2021, 2:46 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:44 pm
Madmartigan wrote:

To be fair, UMBC still shot a respectable 34% (about 50th percentile in D1) this season. I don't doubt Odom's ability to find shooters at USU, but if looking for a critique in a pile of successes that would be one of the only critiques I'd find. The team was top 25 or so in 3 point % in his first two seasons, so he can certainly run an offense that creates open perimeter shots. Unfortunately some of 'shot-makers' were too inconsistent to hit even the most wide-open of looks the past two years.
This sounds very familiar.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
3rdGenAggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 5th, 2021, 2:47 pm

nvspuds wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:43 pm
I am a big old white dude and I don't feel safe in Logan..However, my little jest was about the departed Smith saying his wife loved Logan when he was pretending he was sticking around..
Nor should you, it is a dangerous place.

https://www.ksl.com/article/18565982/lo ... -free-area

I just like to take shots at Eric Musselman's wife's comments.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post (total 2):
MadmartiganUSU78

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 5th, 2021, 2:50 pm

nvspuds wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:43 pm
I am aware and appreciate the jest. There is no love lost here for Musselman and his wife post fire prevention equipment destruction. I saw an opening and took it. Thanks for giving me this indulgence.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 5th, 2021, 2:54 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 2:44 pm
Madmartigan wrote:

Everyone looks good in Aggie Blue. Consider it done.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 5th, 2021, 2:56 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

With UMBC’s top three guards (Eytle-Rock, Owens, Darnell) all shooting around 40% from beyond the arc this last season, I’m surprised that aspect of the team is a gripe. We would have given up valuable parts of our anatomy for those shooting percentages this year. We’d probably have made it to the second weekend if Rollie, Marco, and Brock all had 40%.

Locked Previous topicNext topic