Staff

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Re: Staff

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 5th, 2021, 10:33 pm

Spencer is great at relating to people, but that may or may not mean he is as great at stuff like correcting skills and designing plays as someone else we could get. Like maybe he was part of the problem with how they ran practices, reseting things without explaining things.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 5th, 2021, 10:39 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 9:13 pm
2004AG wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 8:55 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
utaggies wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 7:38 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 4:37 pm
bpd wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 4:34 pm
I brought it up in the other thread but it got lost a little. One of the big questions JH was going to ask in interviews, is who would make up the staff. Does anybody have any insight on this. Is Odom bringing some of his staff with him. Is he going to retain some current. Or is he just going to start over?
Is he going to get Spencer or Jaycee?
Why are you enamored with Spencer as an assistant? Went Smith came in and did not retain him Spencer took a job with a financial advisory group. He’s been out of the coaching ranks for three years.
There were people on here that made it out to be this horrible thing that Craig Smith didn't retain Spencer. Then Smith went out and won 76% of his MW games over the next 3 years, something nobody thought possible.

Just because someone was great as a player at USU doesn't mean they are a good coach and should be on staff.
Not quite. Nobody thought it was “horrible”. Some of us did think it might be a good idea to have someone act as a “bridge” for the current players and to help navigate the state of Utah.

It has been blown WAYYYYYYYYYY out of proportion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think so. I remember there being so much pressure there Craig Smith had to address the topic of Spencer Nelson early on in interviews & maybe even his introductory press conference.
Yeah there were some people pretty angry with Smith on this board for not retaining Nelson. Obviously not everyone who wanted Nelson to be retained thought it was "horrible" but some certainly did. Until Smith leaving for Utah, it was by far the thing Smith got the most criticism for on this board.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 5th, 2021, 10:42 pm

utaggies wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 9:46 pm
cval wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 9:28 pm
Do you guys know Spencer? There is a reason people are high on him.

He just relates to people, pretty much everyone. He can return to the investment banking business anytime he wants, but was excited to try coaching, and by all accounts was really good at it.

I don’t know if he still wants to, but if he did, he would be successful, and I would love to see it.
Spencer is one of my all-time favorite Aggie players. But I’m interested in the evidence of your statement that “by all accounts” he was really good as an assistant. He was on Duryea’s staff for two years. During those two years we finished 7th and 8th in the conference and were a combined 6 games under .500. What am I missing?
And he has coached nowhere else since that time. If he is this amazing coach why isn't he in big demand or pursuing a job in the coaching profession?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 5th, 2021, 10:42 pm

April 5th, 2021, 10:39 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
2004AG wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
bpd wrote:
I brought it up in the other thread but it got lost a little. One of the big questions JH was going to ask in interviews, is who would make up the staff. Does anybody have any insight on this. Is Odom bringing some of his staff with him. Is he going to retain some current. Or is he just going to start over?
Why are you enamored with Spencer as an assistant? Went Smith came in and did not retain him Spencer took a job with a financial advisory group. He’s been out of the coaching ranks for three years.
There were people on here that made it out to be this horrible thing that Craig Smith didn't retain Spencer. Then Smith went out and won 76% of his MW games over the next 3 years, something nobody thought possible.

Just because someone was great as a player at USU doesn't mean they are a good coach and should be on staff.
Not quite. Nobody thought it was “horrible”. Some of us did think it might be a good idea to have someone act as a “bridge” for the current players and to help navigate the state of Utah.

I don’t think so. I remember there being so much pressure there Craig Smith had to address the topic of Spencer Nelson early on in interviews & maybe even his introductory press conference.
Yeah there were some people pretty angry with Smith on this board for not retaining Nelson. Obviously not everyone who wanted Nelson to be retained thought it was "horrible" but some certainly did. Until Smith leaving for Utah, it was by far the thing Smith got the most criticism for on this board.
Aside from leaving to Utah I would say Smith got more heat on this board for not recruiting a point guard or shooter in addition to playing miller so much.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 5th, 2021, 10:48 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 10:42 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
2004AG wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
bpd wrote:

Aside from leaving to Utah I would say Smith got more heat on this board for not recruiting a point guard or shooter in addition to playing miller so much.
Over the course of time, sure giving such a greenlight to Brock Miller was criticized by many. As far as one incident that jumps out, him not retaining Nelson was pretty heavily criticized. Miller was more of a general complaint over a period of time.

stang

Post by stang » April 5th, 2021, 10:57 pm

April 5th, 2021, 10:42 pm
utaggies wrote:
cval wrote:

He just relates to people, pretty much everyone. He can return to the investment banking business anytime he wants, but was excited to try coaching, and by all accounts was really good at it.

I don’t know if he still wants to, but if he did, he would be successful, and I would love to see it.
Spencer is one of my all-time favorite Aggie players. But I’m interested in the evidence of your statement that “by all accounts” he was really good as an assistant. He was on Duryea’s staff for two years. During those two years we finished 7th and 8th in the conference and were a combined 6 games under .500. What am I missing?
And he has coached nowhere else since that time. If he is this amazing coach why isn't he in big demand or pursuing a job in the coaching profession?
I believe it's by choice. Spencer left a very good job to take a coaching position at his Alma Mater and try the coaching thing out. Duryea wasn't a good coach and things clearly didn't work out with that staff, so he chose to return to the world of finance where he's done quite well for himself.

Not saying he is a good coach or isn't a good coach, but him not being a coach right now doesn't have anything to do with that.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 5th, 2021, 11:01 pm

utaggies wrote:
cval wrote:

Fun Spencer story that shows some of his friendly personality.
I don't make it to a lot of games in person, because I live out of state I made it to a game when he was an assistant on Durea's staff and was sitting about three rows up next to the tunnel. Spencer walks up to me before the game and says, hey you look really familiar do I know you? I just said I'm a big fan and I went to school at USU when he was playing. He was really cool, and told me to enjoy the game. He is a very likeable guy and is easily one of my all-time favorites. Just because of his personality and where he has been in life I'll bet his network is almost endless.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 5th, 2021, 11:41 pm

coolag wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 8:05 pm
Maybe brady jardine or matt formisano or k.c. comadena or brayden Bell or mike ahmad or jeremy vague?
I would think Brady's pretty happy hauling in the big bucks where he is right now.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 6th, 2021, 1:36 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 6:51 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 6:49 pm
Aggieiester wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 5:06 pm
Are there any former Aggie basketball players are working their way up through the coaching profession like Chucky, DJ or AL on the football side?
Tai Wesley just wrapped up his pro career and I believe is living in Utah somewhere. He'd be an amazing assistant coach! Or maybe Jalen Moore.
Tai is doing mortgages in Pocatello, ID.
Really? He went from playing professional basketball in New Zealand to working mortgages in Pocatello? That's depressing.
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on April 6th, 2021, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 6th, 2021, 1:40 am

utaggies wrote:
cval wrote:

Well, he did buy a guy a sub sandwich in Reno once.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » April 6th, 2021, 1:57 am

Spencer is awesome, but I doubt he comes back. He's a bishop now or in a bishopric from what I've heard.

ususports

Post by ususports » April 6th, 2021, 2:53 am

Ahbye wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 1:57 am
Spencer is awesome, but I doubt he comes back. He's a bishop now or in a bishopric from what I've heard.
I haven’t read anything in the church handbook that would restrict him from coaching because of that. I will send an email to President Nelson to see if we can get that removed if it is there.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 6th, 2021, 4:00 am

ususports wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 2:53 am
Ahbye wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 1:57 am
I haven’t read anything in the church handbook that would restrict him from coaching because of that. I will send an email to President Nelson to see if we can get that removed if it is there.
Also, see if the men can get the soft chairs too.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
AggieFanNateCastIronAggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 6th, 2021, 6:50 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
2004AG wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
bpd wrote:

You're trying to argue something subjective. Your perception is "people thought it was horrible", but that's not accurate, that's just how you remember it because there were some people who thought it would be a good idea. You're projecting. I doubt more than one or two people thought it was "horrible". The rest of us in that camp just thought it might be a good idea for the third assistant to be familiar about recruiting to Utah State and being familiar to the current players, etc. I don't see how that is controversial whatsoever.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Chatman

Post by Chatman » April 6th, 2021, 7:03 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 8:48 pm
coolag wrote:
Maybe brady jardine or matt formisano or k.c. comadena or brayden Bell or mike ahmad or jeremy vague?
Jaxon Myaer has done some coaching and a great Aggie regardless of if he measured up on the court here.
Here are some other possibilities for assistances:

Greg Grant, Danny Conway, Gilbert Pete, Greg Housekeeper, Leo Cunningham, Vince Washington, Michael McCullough, Chris McMullin, Tan Tueller, Ron Ence, or Jeff “Omar” Anderson

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 6th, 2021, 7:28 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 1:36 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:
Are there any former Aggie basketball players are working their way up through the coaching profession like Chucky, DJ or AL on the football side?
Tai Wesley just wrapped up his pro career and I believe is living in Utah somewhere. He'd be an amazing assistant coach! Or maybe Jalen Moore.
Really? He went from playing professional basketball in New Zealand to working mortgages in Pocatello? That's depressing.
There is nothing wrong with the pocatello area. I lived close by in american falls for 3 years after college, really enjoyed it there.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » April 6th, 2021, 7:39 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 7:28 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the pocatello area. I lived close by in american falls for 3 years after college, really enjoyed it there.
Not to mention the housing market is booming there. Pocatello always gets overlooked, but it is one of the finest cities in Idaho.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 6th, 2021, 7:42 am

The way you build your staff reflects both your playing and your recruiting philosophy. I didn't care with Smith who he hired but I would have loved to have seen one coach with local ties. Still feel the same and hope we get one local guy and I hope we aggressively recruit this area. And I wholeheartedly agree that former players don't always make good coaches.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 6th, 2021, 8:07 am

Chatman wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 7:39 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 7:28 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:
Not to mention the housing market is booming there. Pocatello always gets overlooked, but it is one of the finest cities in Idaho.
I always thought it was pretty country surrounding Pocatello as well, but my biggest beef was the downtown trainyards and industrial eye sore. Have they cleaned it up yet?

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 6th, 2021, 8:55 am

The "aggie" being mentioned is not spencer nor has it been named in this thread. We'll see if it pans out, but it's very likely to happen.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
aggies22

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 6th, 2021, 9:11 am

Ronnie Ross and his AAU ties come on down

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 6th, 2021, 9:16 am

brian5562 wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 9:11 am
Ronnie Ross and his AAU ties come on down
Ok. How old is his son now?

Also what about coach Jones? 😜

antibluehair

Post by antibluehair » April 6th, 2021, 9:18 am

I would personally like to see guys retained from the previous staff rather that hiring a former player or "Alumnus".
I would like to see the best Assistants not some dude that's an Aggie.
These users thanked the author antibluehair for the post (total 6):
slcaggutaggiesSl7vkFullBLUERUFiO3rdGenAggie

RivertonAG

Post by RivertonAG » April 6th, 2021, 10:05 am

Phil Johnson? I know...I'm sure he is enjoying retirement.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 6th, 2021, 10:06 am

Maybe someone from the Jazz

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 6th, 2021, 10:07 am

bpd wrote:I brought it up in the other thread but it got lost a little. One of the big questions JH was going to ask in interviews, is who would make up the staff. Does anybody have any insight on this. Is Odom bringing some of his staff with him. Is he going to retain some current. Or is he just going to start over?
He said in his interview he is going after RM’s and Polynesian kids. With the output of Bean and Porter wants to step up the walk on program too.
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
sam tingey

Hail Aggies!

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » April 6th, 2021, 10:32 am

Aggieiester wrote:
I heard on a podcast that Preston Medlin is living in Logan and looking to get into coaching.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » April 6th, 2021, 10:36 am

SLB wrote:Maybe someone from the Jazz
I can’t speak for the new BYU grad owner, but the previous owner never gave me the impression that they gave two (I can't express myself without swearing) about USU.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 6th, 2021, 10:36 am

sstrasser wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 10:32 am
Aggieiester wrote:
I heard on a podcast that Preston Medlin is living in Logan and looking to get into coaching.
He could teach guards how to shoot the ball. Medlin shot the ball well.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 6th, 2021, 10:39 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 10:36 am
I can’t speak for the new BYU grad owner, but the previous owner never gave me the impression that they gave two (I can't express myself without swearing) about USU.

I am not talking about Jazz owner, but the Jazz assistants and scouts themselves could be interested. Odom's brother could be an assistant coach and recruiter for us.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » April 6th, 2021, 10:39 am

sstrasser wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:
Brian Green was at one point a grad assistant... not sure where he is now.

These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
ProvoAggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 6th, 2021, 10:42 am

Chatman wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 7:03 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 8:48 pm
coolag wrote:
Jaxon Myaer has done some coaching and a great Aggie regardless of if he measured up on the court here.
Here are some other possibilities for assistances:

Greg Grant, Danny Conway, Gilbert Pete, Greg Housekeeper, Leo Cunningham, Vince Washington, Michael McCullough, Chris McMullin, Tan Tueller, Ron Ence, or Jeff “Omar” Anderson
Are these former players coaching now, or are you just naming some of your favorite players? Maybe I’m missing something here, but if I were a new head coach choosing my staff, I would want assistants who have been coaching COLLEGE level. Have serious experience recruiting, and know X’s and O’s. Smith, for example, brought in Peterson because his specialty was defense, and he made us a great defensive team.
If the former players you named are now successful assistants in the college game....great. But if not, it would scare me to see them on the sidelines wondering “what the hell do we do next?”

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 6th, 2021, 10:45 am

sstrasser wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 10:32 am
Aggieiester wrote:
Geese!

:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » April 6th, 2021, 10:53 am

SLB wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 10:39 am
CaptainChaos wrote:

I am not talking about Jazz owner, but the Jazz assistants and scouts themselves could be interested. Odom's brother could be an assistant coach and recruiter for us.
I know- I'm just saying history wouldn't indicate a lot of understanding/encouragement or even just good will towards us from ownership.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 6th, 2021, 11:25 am

SLB wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 10:39 am
CaptainChaos wrote:

I'm wondering if Odom's cousin, Lamar, could help us out. He surely has NBA ties.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Locked Previous topicNext topic