Odom addressed scheduling in the press conference

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Odom addressed scheduling in the press conference

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 7th, 2021, 10:24 pm

When asked about scheduling, Odom made a statement similar to what alot of fans would argue about why Stew should schedule tough teams, that you schedule to prepare for the NCAA Tournament, as playing weak competition can mask deficiencies And I do think most of us would agree with that.
Other facts
1. I don't think anyone actually argued that Stew SHOULD have continued to schedule the way he did, people just realized complaining wasn't going to change and thought we needed to let Stew do what he wanted and just wanted to talk about other things. But now that we are playing a few big schools a year, there is a near consensus among us that in liking this way of scheduling better.
2. Even the most critical, in your face about scheduling, people were NOT suggesting that Stew demoralize the team by scheduling a bunch of tough teams in the entire OOC, just one or two year was all anyone ever wanted Stew to schedule.
3. We did lose the tournament games for reasons other than scheduling, but your NCAA Tournament opponent should not be the toughest team you face all season.
4. Some people would argue that you get rewarded for having a tough SOS by scheduling tough. But the fact is, you only get rewarded if you win the tough games you schedule, you don't get any reward for losing to anyone.
5. While you want to schedule a few games that are likely losses, you also want to balance it out by playing some games that you can win by playing a D game.
6. There was also a consensus that we shouldn't schedule road games like IPFW and Jackson State where we gain next to nothing from a win while a loss is horrible. And I would say, and at least some would agree, that it's better that if you are going to schedule weak opponents on the road, then play at UVU or Idaho State where it's at least an easy bus ride as opposed to a long flight. However....
7. Where there was a disagreement back in the day was the definition of a crappy team, as teams that lack the name recognition can be quality opponents.

OrangeCountyAggie

Re: Odom addressed scheduling in the press conference

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 8th, 2021, 1:09 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 10:24 pm
When asked about scheduling, Odom made a statement similar to what alot of fans would argue about why Stew should schedule tough teams, that you schedule to prepare for the NCAA Tournament, as playing weak competition can mask deficiencies And I do think most of us would agree with that.
Other facts
1. I don't think anyone actually argued that Stew SHOULD have continued to schedule the way he did, people just realized complaining wasn't going to change and thought we needed to let Stew do what he wanted and just wanted to talk about other things. But now that we are playing a few big schools a year, there is a near consensus among us that in liking this way of scheduling better.
2. Even the most critical, in your face about scheduling, people were NOT suggesting that Stew demoralize the team by scheduling a bunch of tough teams in the entire OOC, just one or two year was all anyone ever wanted Stew to schedule.
3. We did lose the tournament games for reasons other than scheduling, but your NCAA Tournament opponent should not be the toughest team you face all season.
4. Some people would argue that you get rewarded for having a tough SOS by scheduling tough. But the fact is, you only get rewarded if you win the tough games you schedule, you don't get any reward for losing to anyone.
5. While you want to schedule a few games that are likely losses, you also want to balance it out by playing some games that you can win by playing a D game.
6. There was also a consensus that we shouldn't schedule road games like IPFW and Jackson State where we gain next to nothing from a win while a loss is horrible. And I would say, and at least some would agree, that it's better that if you are going to schedule weak opponents on the road, then play at UVU or Idaho State where it's at least an easy bus ride as opposed to a long flight. However....
7. Where there was a disagreement back in the day was the definition of a crappy team, as teams that lack the name recognition can be quality opponents.
The correct scheduling formula for us is actually fairly straightforward. Participate in a good preseason tournament with guaranteed games against quality opponents. Then sprinkle in a quality opponent or two during non-con (St. Marry's, BYU, for example). Win a few of those games and pick up some good quality top-of-conference wins, and we're good (assuming we don't crap our pants too many times against the bottom-feeders).

The biggest irritation with Stew's scheduling was his allegiance to the Gosner tourney which was a hot pile of garbage.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » April 8th, 2021, 7:35 am

Scheduling has and is an issue. But the problem isn't completely on the coaches. Some coaches just flat out will not come to Logan. Even coach Smith complained about try to get quality teams to Logan even though I felt he did a better job at scheduling that our previous coaches. We can schedule away games with quality teams for more easily than at home. I suspect that will continue unless we do more 2 to 1 agreements.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 8th, 2021, 8:54 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 1:09 am
The biggest irritation with Stew's scheduling was his allegiance to the Gosner tourney which was a hot pile of garbage.
My pile of 3000 worthless Gossner-branded knick knacks begs to differ.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 8th, 2021, 8:57 am

bigblue wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 7:35 am
Scheduling has and is an issue. But the problem isn't completely on the coaches. Some coaches just flat out will not come to Logan. Even coach Smith complained about try to get quality teams to Logan even though I felt he did a better job at scheduling that our previous coaches. We can schedule away games with quality teams for more easily than at home. I suspect that will continue unless we do more 2 to 1 agreements.

The whole home and home thing with a lot of quality opponents is just not realistic. Stew never clued into that but I think TD and Smith did. I'd be thrilled with a 2 for 1 with almost any quality P5 program. H-H with good mid majors like St. Mary's, Gonzaga, Wichita, etc would also be ideal.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 8th, 2021, 9:26 am

Madmartigan wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 8:57 am
bigblue wrote:

The whole home and home thing with a lot of quality opponents is just not realistic. Stew never clued into that but I think TD and Smith did. I'd be thrilled with a 2 for 1 with almost any quality P5 program. H-H with good mid majors like St. Mary's, Gonzaga, Wichita, etc would also be ideal.
I think it all depends on how you view your program. Let me ask this, does SDSU have to schedule 2-1? No, they don't, cuz they are a top 25 team and p5/6 means a whole lot less in basketball. Do we compete with SDSU? Damn right, we whoop that (I can't express myself without swearing) consistently. Do we want to be a 25 team? Yup. Then why bow down to schools that are perceived to be better than you? Neutral court is fine, but no way I concede your team is that much better when I have those aspirations by giving you a 2-1.

I guess that makes me a stubborn (I can't express myself without swearing) 😁

Go Aggies!

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 8th, 2021, 9:32 am

Aggie19 wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:26 am
Madmartigan wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 8:57 am
bigblue wrote:

I think it all depends on how you view your program. Let me ask this, does SDSU have to schedule 2-1? No, they don't, cuz they are a top 25 team and p5/6 means a whole lot less in basketball. Do we compete with SDSU? Damn right, we whoop that (I can't express myself without swearing) consistently. Do we want to be a 25 team? Yup. Then why bow down to schools that are perceived to be better than you? Neutral court is fine, but no way I concede your team is that much better when I have those aspirations by giving you a 2-1.

I guess that makes me a stubborn (I can't express myself without swearing) 😁
We regularly beat SDSU sure, but they have a better brand and perception than we do given their long track record of success in the MW, sweet 16 appearances, and consistent NBA caliber talent. We aren't quite there... yet. A few more years and a few tourney wins and we could be.

The thing holding us back is tournament success. If I weren't a USU fan, it would be comical how bad we are in tourney games. I am a USU fan, so I just have to shed a few tears at this. I hope Odom can change this.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 8th, 2021, 9:49 am

The reality is that there are more reasons for teams to travel to San Diego State than Logan.
1. There are teams able to take a bus ride to San Diego
2. For teams too far away to bus to San Diego, you can fly right into San Diego as opposed to an hour plus bus ride after you land. We could mitigate that by being willing to have our home game be in Salt Lake.
3. Teams recruit players from the San Diego area and have that incentive to schedule in that area to cater to the players families. There is not the same incentive for scheduling games in Logan unless someone from Cache Valley goes P5.

The fact is we have two choices. Be prideful and stubborn about not playing road games against teams that won't come here, and wonder why our schedule is weak like with Stew. Or have our schedule look decent even with all the decent opponents being road games, and just enjoy watching the Aggies face decent competition on TV.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 8th, 2021, 9:59 am

bigblue wrote:

It's not just that they won't come to Logan, most quality opponents don't play road games in OOC. You can either play them at their place or on a neutral floor somewhere but there are far too many teams that just refuse to place OOC games on the road. Even a team like Gonzaga that has built up a reputation get's maybe 1 quality home game every couple of years.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
Madmartigan

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » April 8th, 2021, 10:17 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
bigblue wrote:

It's not just that they won't come to Logan, most quality opponents don't play road games in OOC. You can either play them at their place or on a neutral floor somewhere but there are far too many teams that just refuse to place OOC games on the road. Even a team like Gonzaga that has built up a reputation get's maybe 1 quality home game every couple of years.
Lot of truth to your statement. If fact I feel it's more the reason to schedule the 2 to 1s. Win against quality opponents on the road and build the brand.

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Locked Previous topicNext topic