So Now What?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie

So Now What?

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 8th, 2021, 11:58 pm

I get that it has only been a few days since coach Odom was hired and he has a plan. However, besides players leaving, what if anything is going on with the program? Any rumors of coach Odom pursuing or landing any new players? Any coaching staff news?

Again, I'm not surprised or panicked (given Odom's more cerebral approach) by the lack of movement (yet) but rather anxious to hear some positive news. Anything yet?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: So Now What?

Post by aggies22 » April 9th, 2021, 7:12 am

Don't panic. It will take a week or two but the plan Coach Odom has is a good one.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 8):
hipsterdoofus21slcaggCastIronAggieWinkieEl SapoBLUERUFiObluegrouseReal Life Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 9th, 2021, 7:57 am

Coach Odom will be fine. Give him a week or 2 to get his staff and get an idea of where we need help. I am confident he will bring in some impact transfers.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » April 9th, 2021, 8:12 am

5 Trevin Dorius Szymon Zapala
4 Justin Bean Liam McChesney
3 Brock Miller
2 Sean Bairstow
1 Steven Ashworth

We have some serious holes to fill. I think we need a starting PG SG C and obviously competition at all positions. Fingers crossed brock is able to go. In a perfect world, I'd personally like to see him come off the bench. Zapala is still up in the air. The roster is in for a major overhaul. Not ideal but maybe best for a coach to get a reboot.

I did not list Marco because I think he will be leaving shortly.
These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 9th, 2021, 8:29 am

NewUSUfan wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:12 am
3 Brock Miller
2 Sean Bairstow
1 Steven Ashworth

We have some serious holes to fill. I think we need a starting PG SG C and obviously competition at all positions. Fingers crossed brock is able to go. In a perfect world, I'd personally like to see him come off the bench. Zapala is still up in the air. The roster is in for a major overhaul. Not ideal but maybe best for a coach to get a reboot.

What about Cade Potter?

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 9th, 2021, 8:31 am

I'm certain that Coach Odom has a plan. I know that I'll be hearing good things soon, as he executes his plan.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 5):
thegreendalegelfineptimusprimehipsterdoofus21slcaggaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 8:43 am

I get the frustration. Go read all the posts after the exodus during our last coaching change in 2018. At the same time, it was just this week Coach Odom became our coach. Give him some time to see what he can do as he works the transfer portal and the Juco ranks bringing in talent.

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » April 9th, 2021, 8:46 am

Time to panic! There's only 200 days until the season starts. If Odom doesn't have all roster spots filled in the next 24 hours with football stars from Montana, and he doesn't hire 8 former players as assistants, we are screwed! :sarcasm:

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author elcheque2 for the post (total 8):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggiePTWinkieaggies22AggiesForeverReal Life AggieAggieFBObsessionaggiesdotcom

bpd

Post by bpd » April 9th, 2021, 8:47 am

He was hired on Monday, you would think some staff hires would leak out.

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » April 9th, 2021, 8:55 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:29 am
NewUSUfan wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:12 am
3 Brock Miller
2 Sean Bairstow
1 Steven Ashworth

What about Cade Potter?
It's been two years, only time will tell.
I'm not saying we need to panic or that we shouldn't give Coach time to recruit. Just where we are in my opinion. I'm excited to see what he can build.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 9th, 2021, 9:17 am

Patience Brothers, Patience.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.
Odom is smart. Very smart. That gives me great comfort.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
AggiesForever

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 9th, 2021, 9:17 am

Potter was not highly recruited. I don't have high expectations there.

About odom's plan, how does the saying go? Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face. Time to start fighting.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » April 9th, 2021, 9:21 am

I’ve been stuck in hot humid weather, forced to wear a mask, spending an insane amount of money, and occasionally seeing a big mouse or a princess from afar. So I haven’t been keeping up with the forums but referring to the post above is Marco out too?

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 9th, 2021, 9:33 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:43 am
I get the frustration. Go read all the posts after the exodus during our last coaching change in 2018. At the same time, it was just this week Coach Odom became our coach. Give him some time to see what he can do as he works the transfer portal and the Juco ranks bringing in talent.
Having a mass exodus from an 8th place MWC team and having one from an NCAA at-large team with no seniors on the roster are two completely different scenarios.

This is the major problem about losing a successfull coach. The continuity gets shattered.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 9:40 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 9:21 am
I’ve been stuck in hot humid weather, forced to wear a mask, spending an insane amount of money, and occasionally seeing a big mouse or a princess from afar. So I haven’t been keeping up with the forums but referring to the post above is Marco out too?
Disney World?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 9:41 am

utaggies wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 9:33 am
Having a mass exodus from an 8th place MWC team and having one from an NCAA at-large team with no seniors on the roster are two completely different scenarios.

This is the major problem about losing a successfull coach. The continuity gets shattered.
Queta was an expected exit. Worster wasn't expected, but we'll see who we bring in. He was a good player with lots of potential, but he isn't irreplaceable. Bean is the only irreplaceable piece from last years team and he is staying. Let's see what Odom can bring in.

As for 3 years ago, yes the team was worse, but losing Koby was thought of as a colossal loss by many fans. Nobody had us jumping to the top spot in the MW after what we lost in 2018.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21AggiesForeveraggiesdotcom

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 9:45 am

April 9th, 2021, 9:41 am
utaggies wrote:

Queta was an expected exit. Worster wasn't expected, but we'll see who we bring in. He was a good player with lots of potential, but he isn't irreplaceable. Bean is the only irreplaceable piece from last years team and he is staying. Let's see what Odom can bring in.

As for 3 years ago, yes the team was worse, but losing Koby was thought of as a colossal loss by many fans. Nobody had us jumping to the top spot in the MW after what we lost in 2018.
Get out of my brain. Seriously, I feel like our views on Aggie sports are often so paralleled that I wonder if I have a secondary handle on this board that I'm accidently posting from. (I've been busted for this before)
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
USU78Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 9th, 2021, 9:58 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 9:45 am
utaggies wrote:

Get out of my brain. Seriously, I feel like our views on Aggie sports are often so paralleled that I wonder if I have a secondary handle on this board that I'm accidently posting from. (I've been busted for this before)
Has to be one of three things.
1) a cheap attempt at getting more likes
2) you enjoy arguing with yourself (which I do on all of life's decisions)
3) schizoaffective disorder.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 9th, 2021, 10:14 am

bpd wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:47 am
Unless it's being kept VERY quiet.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 10:14 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
utaggies wrote:

Haha yeah we do seem to align a lot more now compared to our debates over bringing back Andersen a few years ago.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 9th, 2021, 10:27 am

aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
Odom did mention on several occasions that he is waiting to see what happens with his old UMBC staff. In other words we would like to keep one or two from his prior staff if they don’t get better offers, such as taking over his vacated Hc position at UMBC. He also mentioned hiring some staff that had a pulse on the area (aka MWC, Utah, west coast). I’m excited to see how things shake out and hope we know here in a week or two.

bpd

Post by bpd » April 9th, 2021, 10:30 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 10:14 am
bpd wrote:
So, do you not know either?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 9th, 2021, 10:31 am

Damn, it's only April, chill man, the coach has a plan... Trust the plan!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 9th, 2021, 10:38 am

bpd wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 10:30 am
aggies22 wrote:
bpd wrote:
So, do you not know either?
Unless something changes, I do know. However, I have not been authorized to release anything yet. I hope you all understand.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 9th, 2021, 10:38 am

I'm optimistic. Queta is gone. It's a fresh slate, a new coach, a new team.

Same great fans

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » April 9th, 2021, 10:39 am

It sounds like he wants some of his old staff but needs to wait to see if they are offered his position or other opportunities. I imagine UMBC just needs to push the first domino

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 9th, 2021, 10:47 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
utaggies wrote:

Haha yeah we do seem to align a lot more now compared to our debates over bringing back Andersen a few years ago.
Yeah. There is someone on this board that I find is much the same as me, as far as their posts are concerned, but I am not revealing his name. I don’t want him to get a big head. :roll:

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 9th, 2021, 11:25 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 10:47 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
utaggies wrote:

Yeah. There is someone on this board that I find is much the same as me, as far as their posts are concerned, but I am not revealing his name. I don’t want him to get a big head. :roll:
So you have a board twin?

We’ve already found that hipster has found a long lost nephew and now his twin in hawaii. Heck of a genealogy week there!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 9th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 9:17 am

About odom's plan, how does the saying go? Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face. Time to start fighting.
Potter’s story reminds me a lot of Bean’s. Looked really good, then injured during senior year. I think he’ll turn out alright for us.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 9th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Blitz79 wrote:

Bean wasn’t highly recruited either. Neither was Wayne Estes really.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 12:29 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Blitz79 wrote:

True, but there weren't high expectations for Bean. Bean being as good as he has been is a pleasant surprise on steroids.
How high are your expectations for Potter?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 9th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Potter doesn’t seem to have the hops and athleticism as Bean but looks to be a better outside shooter (stretch 4 maybe). I see him having a hard time passing up Liam though as Liam is also a good shooter but more athletic than Potter. Who knows though.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 9th, 2021, 12:46 pm

April 9th, 2021, 12:29 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:

True, but there weren't high expectations for Bean. Bean being as good as he has been is a pleasant surprise on steroids.
How high are your expectations for Potter?
Actually, I don’t know much about Potter, except Colonel Potter, so I really don’t know what to expect. I think he will be good if he has slower people guard him. He looks like he has good skills, but is a little on the slow side. He may, like Dorius, have a hard time with the speed of the game.
As for Bean, I didn’t have real high expectations for him either.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 9th, 2021, 12:54 pm

What about Dallin Grant? Is he still coming and what does he bring to the table?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 9th, 2021, 12:59 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:

I mean, neither was Clint Lee.

But still. I have a tendency to get overhyped for incoming guys, so I'm dialing it back a bit. I hope Potter is great.

Locked Previous topicNext topic