The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Re: The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

Post by SLB » April 24th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 2:04 pm
I'm not as high on some of the unproven players as one or two others have mentioned, but I'm a little higher on Eytle-Rock and Horvath than some. Queta's presence, on both ends of the floor, really helped our other players look better. I'm optimistic that our new 1st team AEC guys will contribute more than Marco/Worster would have without Queta, and that's not a knock on Marco or Worster, I wish they would have stuck around.

Does anyone think Kolby Lee from BYU will be coming to USU? I came across an article in the D-News about why he is leaving BYU: https://www.deseret.com/2021/4/23/22398 ... -kayla-lee

He is transferring to another in-state school primarily for playing time and it will be announced where on Monday. His wife will continue playing at BYU.

“It’s a Utah school that’s somewhat close. My wife and I will still have to do long-distance, but it’s a lot closer than going to a school in California or back East,” Lee said. “At least it’s in the state and I’ll be able to drive down on the weekends and we’ll see each other.”

He says drive "down" so maybe it will be a school North of Provo.... I would guess Weber or Westminster. I wouldn't be excited if we used our last open scholarship on Lee, although he might be more serviceable than Zapala or Dorius if one of them were to leave for some reason.

From the same article: One program that showed interest was Wisconsin. While that was flattering to Lee, Madison is a long way from Provo. Besides, “I’d probably have to fight for minutes and you never know, it could be a similar situation to BYU this past year. It could be great to play in the Big Ten, but I could be another bench guy.”

While I totally get that all players want to play and not sit the bench, especially an upperclassman, making it sound like you are deterred by needing to "fight" for minutes is not the type of winner mentality I like to see in players. We want players that are going to fight as hard as they can to earn their minutes.

I hope we find a stud PG with the last scholarship but if another roster spot opens up for some reason, an athletic wing or a a player that could be part of the primary 3 man rotation at the 4/5 (along with Bean & Horvath) would be nice.
The point is that Lee wants minutes because he likes to play, and BYU got players to replace Lee. It is understandable that he wants end his career playing not on the bench.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 24th, 2021, 5:35 pm

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 24th, 2021, 6:06 pm

SLB wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 4:01 pm
The point is that Lee wants minutes because he likes to play, and BYU got players to replace Lee. It is understandable that he wants end his career playing not on the bench.
Yep, totally get that. He doesn't want to go somewhere where he is likely to sit the bench. I'm sure many are in the portal for the same reason.

Despite the context, I still think it sounds weak to state, "besides, I'd probably have to fight for minutes". Perhaps inaccurate, but it gives me the impression he is not the hardest working guy on a team.... just conjecture.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » April 24th, 2021, 6:10 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 6:06 pm
SLB wrote:
Yep, totally get that. He doesn't want to go somewhere where he is likely to sit the bench. I'm sure many are in the portal for the same reason.

Despite the context, I still think it sounds weak to state, "besides, I'd probably have to fight for minutes". Perhaps inaccurate, but it gives me the impression he is not the hardest working guy on a team.... just conjecture.
Lee got recruited over, and he knows that the minutes were not there. I agree with Lee on that he did play well and helped BYU, and it is awkward to be recruited over after starting and being a key player on a NCAA tournament team that upset Gonzaga.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 24th, 2021, 6:19 pm

It's just not a good look to express his views in the media. He comes off sounding like a Little League parent, only he's talking about himself. If he's found a spot with guaranteed minutes, just leave it at that.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
Pacobag

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 24th, 2021, 7:10 pm

SLB wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 6:10 pm
Pacobag wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 6:06 pm
SLB wrote:

Lee got recruited over, and he knows that the minutes were not there. I agree with Lee on that he did play well and helped BYU, and it is awkward to be recruited over after starting and being a key player on a NCAA tournament team that upset Gonzaga.
Lol what are you talking about?
He didn't play well, was out of their rotation by the end of the year and he wasn't a key player on their NCAA tournament team. He was close to a nonfactor. He transferred because he didn't play much and was not very good. He was byu's 11th leading scorer this past season. We can do better. He should not even be someone Odom considers.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 24th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 6:19 pm
It's just not a good look to express his views in the media. He comes off sounding like a Little League parent, only he's talking about himself. If he's found a spot with guaranteed minutes, just leave it at that.
The only thing worse than a headcase and potential team cancer is one who isn't any good. Hell no on Kolby Lee!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 24th, 2021, 7:32 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 7:13 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
The only thing worse than a headcase and potential team cancer is one who isn't any good. Hell no on Kolby Lee!
The only thing worse than a headcase and potential team cancer is one who isn’t any good that played for BYU.

The last part just compounds everything x10.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 24th, 2021, 8:08 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 7:32 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 7:13 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
The only thing worse than a headcase and potential team cancer is one who isn’t any good that played for BYU.

The last part just compounds everything x10.
Yeah the last thing we want is byu's trash.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 24th, 2021, 9:27 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 2:04 pm
I'm not as high on some of the unproven players as one or two others have mentioned, but I'm a little higher on Eytle-Rock and Horvath than some. Queta's presence, on both ends of the floor, really helped our other players look better. I'm optimistic that our new 1st team AEC guys will contribute more than Marco/Worster would have without Queta, and that's not a knock on Marco or Worster, I wish they would have stuck around.

Does anyone think Kolby Lee from BYU will be coming to USU? I came across an article in the D-News about why he is leaving BYU: https://www.deseret.com/2021/4/23/22398 ... -kayla-lee

He is transferring to another in-state school primarily for playing time and it will be announced where on Monday. His wife will continue playing at BYU.

“It’s a Utah school that’s somewhat close. My wife and I will still have to do long-distance, but it’s a lot closer than going to a school in California or back East,” Lee said. “At least it’s in the state and I’ll be able to drive down on the weekends and we’ll see each other.”

He says drive "down" so maybe it will be a school North of Provo.... I would guess Weber or Westminster. I wouldn't be excited if we used our last open scholarship on Lee, although he might be more serviceable than Zapala or Dorius if one of them were to leave for some reason.

From the same article: One program that showed interest was Wisconsin. While that was flattering to Lee, Madison is a long way from Provo. Besides, “I’d probably have to fight for minutes and you never know, it could be a similar situation to BYU this past year. It could be great to play in the Big Ten, but I could be another bench guy.”

While I totally get that all players want to play and not sit the bench, especially an upperclassman, making it sound like you are deterred by needing to "fight" for minutes is not the type of winner mentality I like to see in players. We want players that are going to fight as hard as they can to earn their minutes.

I hope we find a stud PG with the last scholarship but if another roster spot opens up for some reason, an athletic wing or a a player that could be part of the primary 3 man rotation at the 4/5 (along with Bean & Horvath) would be nice.
He will not be coming to Utah State. Think the opposite end of the state.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiPacobagReal Life Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 10:09 am

With the rumors Odom is recruiting Akin, I wonder if that means Potter isn’t coming? Apparently Akin was all set to announce last week, and then Odom offered and he still hasn’t made a decision. Makes me wonder if there is some other shoe to drop at USU first?

Here’s another thought — maybe Odom isn’t honoring Craig’s deathbed decision to award Trevin a scholarship?

Just trying to make sense of credible rumors that we are recruiting Akin when we still have need for a guard and seemingly only one scholarship left on paper.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 25th, 2021, 11:43 am

I am curious if we contacted this player.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » April 25th, 2021, 1:09 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 10:09 am
With the rumors Odom is recruiting Akin, I wonder if that means Potter isn’t coming? Apparently Akin was all set to announce last week, and then Odom offered and he still hasn’t made a decision. Makes me wonder if there is some other shoe to drop at USU first?

Here’s another thought — maybe Odom isn’t honoring Craig’s deathbed decision to award Trevin a scholarship?

Just trying to make sense of credible rumors that we are recruiting Akin when we still have need for a guard and seemingly only one scholarship left on paper.
Does Dorius even need a scholarship for basketball? I thought it’d been said on here that he was on academic or something like that?

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » April 25th, 2021, 2:09 pm

MalAgua wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 1:09 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Does Dorius even need a scholarship for basketball? I thought it’d been said on here that he was on academic or something like that?
I think it was said he is from a wealthy family and does not have the need for scholarship if I remember correctly

GUS

Post by GUS » April 25th, 2021, 2:34 pm

Problem is, once he has been awarded a scholarship, you can't withdraw it and keep him on the team.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 25th, 2021, 2:40 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 2:09 pm
MalAgua wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 1:09 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

I think it was said he is from a wealthy family and does not have the need for scholarship if I remember correctly
That's correct.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 2:44 pm

GUS wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 2:34 pm
Problem is, once he has been awarded a scholarship, you can't withdraw it and keep him on the team.
Was he ever officially put on scholarship before Smith left, or is this a Marbury v. Madison sort of scenario?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 25th, 2021, 3:26 pm

SLB wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 11:43 am

It looks pretty clear to me we haven’t contacted him. We aren’t contacting any of these dudes in the portal.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 3:26 pm
SLB wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 11:43 am

It looks pretty clear to me we haven’t contacted him. We aren’t contacting any of these dudes in the portal.
Well, if we are, none of them are too excited about it because no one is mentioning us contacting them.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Only former UMBC player still on the board is Akin.

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 25th, 2021, 6:34 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 6:29 pm

I am hyped! :rock:

While I will not bombard this forum with any UMBC updates during the season, I hope you all have a chance to check out some games next season with Kennedy, especially now that you have become acquainted with his game. Rogers is a fun watch as well.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » April 25th, 2021, 6:46 pm

A ball handler is probably the greatest area of need with the last scholarship but I wouldn't mind reaching out to this guy. Redshirted last year at Oklahoma. From the Cayman Islands, which would add to our international roster.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 6:50 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 6:34 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 6:29 pm

I am hyped! :rock:

While I will not bombard this forum with any UMBC updates during the season, I hope you all have a chance to check out some games next season with Kennedy, especially now that you have become acquainted with his game. Rogers is a fun watch as well.
I am hyped for you! Feel free to keep us posted!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 25th, 2021, 8:40 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 6:46 pm
A ball handler is probably the greatest area of need with the last scholarship but I wouldn't mind reaching out to this guy. Redshirted last year at Oklahoma. From the Cayman Islands, which would add to our international roster.
Approval from Mr. Worldwide himself.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 25th, 2021, 8:54 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 8:40 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:
Too bad we’re just not contacting any of those guys in the portal.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 25th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 8:54 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Josh- ... Interests/

Looks like he is from California too and was recruited by schools similar to USU (location wise) including Southern Utah. It's worth a shot. I would take him.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 25th, 2021, 10:04 pm

Maybe we aren't looking because we are "uniquely positioned" to utelize the portal. Is that the wording that was used by Odom?

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 25th, 2021, 10:13 pm

utaggies wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 7:41 am
What’s the over/under on the number of posts that will ensue on this thread? Since some follow the comings and goings on the portal religiously in order to post the latest info I’d say we are good for at least 10 more pages of profiles of players that will not be coming to USU. I can hardly wait.
I should have taken the over on 10 more pages of futility.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 10:20 pm

utaggies wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 10:13 pm
utaggies wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 7:41 am
What’s the over/under on the number of posts that will ensue on this thread? Since some follow the comings and goings on the portal religiously in order to post the latest info I’d say we are good for at least 10 more pages of profiles of players that will not be coming to USU. I can hardly wait.
I should have taken the over on 10 more pages of futility.
I mean, the entire point of the post was to discuss all things portal — Aggie or otherwise. If you don’t find it worthwhile or interesting, there is always just not reading it?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2021, 10:21 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 10:04 pm
Maybe we aren't looking because we are "uniquely positioned" to utelize the portal. Is that the wording that was used by Odom?
Well we have pulled two guys from the portal so far....
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggiePT

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 25th, 2021, 10:51 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 10:21 pm
Aglicious wrote:
So maybe what Odom meant to say was that “the transfer portal makes ME uniquely positioned to bring over as many of MY former players as I want”???

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 26th, 2021, 12:19 am

Odom also said that recruiting good high school and international players is important, so it's possible he's going that route instead. Don't know for this sure - just conjecture.

Maybe some of our insiders could tell us where the coaching staff is currently focusing their efforts in regards to recruiting? It would also be interesting to know what positions they are currently targeting? Thanks in advance.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 26th, 2021, 7:19 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
That is correct if you count the two players that followed their coach to his new gig.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 26th, 2021, 8:41 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 8:54 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
Wait... we have to contact them to get them to come here??

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 26th, 2021, 8:58 am

AggiePT wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 10:51 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
So maybe what Odom meant to say was that “the transfer portal makes ME uniquely positioned to bring over as many of MY former players as I want”???
Haha....yeah that fits better. I just find it funny that when asked about the transfer portal and if it is something he was going to use, that Odom seemed to portray that USU was in this unique position which I took at the time to mean that we have a successful program with lots to like, including some immediate playing time available. I guess I may have read too much into his "uniquely positioned" comment because I think you are more spot on given what we have done so far in the portal.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
AggiePT

Locked Previous topicNext topic