Things are about to change

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NewUSUfan

Things are about to change

Post by NewUSUfan » April 12th, 2021, 7:14 am

This has been in the works for a while as some of you probably know. Man, this is going to change some things. Will high school sports survive? Will college sports, let alone most colleges? We are one of the last if not the last country to even have them. NCAA has to be sweating heavily on this one.

LarryTheAggie

Re: Things are about to change

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 12th, 2021, 7:30 am

Won't change a thing for high school hoops, except for schools like Wasatch academy that are essentially basketball boarding schools.

Probably won't change much for college either, sure the top end talent will be lower. But people do not watch college hoops because the talent, they watch college hoops because there is an emotional connection to your university.

If anything it levels the college hoops playing field a bit. There is a huge drop off in skill after the one and done players, if those players no longer go to bigger schools maybe that helps the little guys a bit.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 3):
AggiePTAggiealum13aggies22

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 12th, 2021, 8:11 am

Honestly, separating sports from colleges and high schools might not be a bad thing.
Sports has become so valuable ($) that people aren't making decisions that prioritize education and the best interests of the students.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 4):
NVAggieAggiePTCastIronAggieUSUaggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 12th, 2021, 8:26 am

Sounds like one team of elite high school players playing for money against teams from Europe?

Doesn’t seem to be on a large enough scale to really change much, or am I misunderstanding what it is?

Stuff like this might force the NCAA’s hand on the name, image, and likeness rules, which I am all for.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 12th, 2021, 8:42 am

I think this is an excellent move. We'll see how it plays out, and if it develops into anything more, but I think this is a killer move. What top high school prospect wouldn't want to move to make a 6 figure income while playing the sport they love?

I know it's been discussed on here, but I have a number of issues with the NCAA "student athlete" platform. While I don't think this is a panacea, it's innovation that will hopefully force change throughout the system.

imanaggie

Post by imanaggie » April 12th, 2021, 9:26 am

If anything, this probably helps the Utah States of the world.
These users thanked the author imanaggie for the post:
aggies22

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » April 12th, 2021, 9:30 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 7:30 am
Won't change a thing for high school hoops, except for schools like Wasatch academy that are essentially basketball boarding schools.

Probably won't change much for college either, sure the top end talent will be lower. But people do not watch college hoops because the talent, they watch college hoops because there is an emotional connection to your university.

If anything it levels the college hoops playing field a bit. There is a huge drop off in skill after the one and done players, if those players no longer go to bigger schools maybe that helps the little guys a bit.
I couldn't agree more. If this is going to hurt anyone then it will be the big programs. Utah State, G5 programs, and even a few P5 programs have the right balance of what college athletics should be. Maybe something like this will bring those bigger programs down to earth.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
aggies22

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 12th, 2021, 9:52 am

Basketball is extremely competitive, unlike FB where you can have like 60 guys on the team, BB doesn't have that problem, it's very difficult to make the BB team at any given HS, whereas if you are fast or big, you've got a guaranteed spot on the FB team.

NOW FB is a sport we should be worried about, participation levels are dropping fast on a national level. We have public HS here in CA w/o a JV FB program, some are even having to drop to 8 man, some don't even have it at all . All the HS used to have Freshman FB, but that's a thing of the past too.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 12th, 2021, 11:54 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 9:30 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 7:30 am

I couldn't agree more. If this is going to hurt anyone then it will be the big programs. Utah State, G5 programs, and even a few P5 programs have the right balance of what college athletics should be. Maybe something like this will bring those bigger programs down to earth.
Maybe, maybe not. I tend to think of college athletics as trickle down recruiting. There are always exceptions, but in general the best recruits go to the best schools, then schools in the MWC and elsewhere fight for the next best level of recruits, etc Sometimes you can find diamonds in the rough, or a good coach can maximize a players potential, etc., but this tends to be the way of the world. If the pool of best prospects shrinks substantially, the top schools will now be competing/going after the players we typically go after, making it harder for us to sign them and pushes us down to a lower level of recruit.

I've been wrong plenty, so I could certainly be wrong about this. I'm not worried yet, but between the end of the one and done rule and now these types of leagues, I'm concerned about the future of NCAA basketball (but no where close to panic level yet). While most of us diehards are going to watch our Aggies regardless, if the qualify of the product goes down substantially, you will continue to lose casual fans. Lose to many, then you start to lose revenue, and then you're really in trouble.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 12th, 2021, 9:14 pm

Watching Nico Mannion set the game of basketball back two generations tonight, something needs to be done to get these players more ready whether it is the NCAA making it more attractive to stay longer in college or a more serious development league. Not every 1 and done is Zion Williamson or Cade Cunningham. Many of these guys really need more development.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic