Change I was hoping for

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Change I was hoping for

Post by aggies1 » April 13th, 2021, 2:30 pm

I loved Craig Smith, but one thing that drove me crazy was his recruiting style. There seemed to be very little information about kids we were seriously after until they committed. Maybe he liked this style to try to keep other schools from getting on the same kids we were after. I personally was hoping That would change with this new staff. But it seems like Odom is very much the same with keeping things on the down low. Don't get me wrong, I can see why coaches go about recruiting this way, but I also think there is something to be said for getting recruits/fans/current team excited about some guys even if they don't pan out. The no news approach makes everyone question what is going on and I mean look at this board and the current team. If the assistant coaches have been decided, why not get the team and fans excited about it by announcing as soon as possible? If there are recruits we are interested in, why not get the current team excited and fan base excited about the possibilities instead of having everyone wonder what is going on? Im not saying Rollie or Marco would have stayed, but if a current player is sitting on the fence and they just don't hear or see anything happening, does that push them off the fence to the other side? Maybe they know more than we know? But then again maybe not.
These users thanked the author aggies1 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggiealum13

Re: Change I was hoping for

Post by Aggiealum13 » April 13th, 2021, 3:19 pm

aggies1 wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 2:30 pm
I loved Craig Smith, but one thing that drove me crazy was his recruiting style. There seemed to be very little information about kids we were seriously after until they committed. Maybe he liked this style to try to keep other schools from getting on the same kids we were after. I personally was hoping That would change with this new staff. But it seems like Odom is very much the same with keeping things on the down low. Don't get me wrong, I can see why coaches go about recruiting this way, but I also think there is something to be said for getting recruits/fans/current team excited about some guys even if they don't pan out. The no news approach makes everyone question what is going on and I mean look at this board and the current team. If the assistant coaches have been decided, why not get the team and fans excited about it by announcing as soon as possible? If there are recruits we are interested in, why not get the current team excited and fan base excited about the possibilities instead of having everyone wonder what is going on? Im not saying Rollie or Marco would have stayed, but if a current player is sitting on the fence and they just don't hear or see anything happening, does that push them off the fence to the other side? Maybe they know more than we know? But then again maybe not.
I believe we got lucky in Craig Smith's first year. The reason why we got lucky is because Sam Merrill stayed. I wish I could give Craig Smith more credit on the recruiting of him to stay, but I believe Sam was born and bred an Aggie no matter who came in. Sam thrived under Craig Smith's system, but he was always a solid player for us even under Duryea. What I'm trying to say is I don't know if lightning is going to strike twice. It sounds like we as fans are hoping (even though not directly) to replicate three straight years of NCAA tournament action in the first 3 years of this coach's tenure like Smith did. I'm not saying it can't happen, but if that's the expectation for us fans then we need to reevaluate those expectations. I'm not saying Odom won't get us to three straight NCAA tournaments, but it may not be his first 3 years let me just say that. However, I would hope that somewhere in the next 3 to 4 years we can get into the tournament again and start getting into it regularly from that point on once his plan, schemes, and players are mastered into his system.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 13th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 3:19 pm
aggies1 wrote:
I believe we got lucky in Craig Smith's first year. The reason why we got lucky is because Sam Merrill stayed. I wish I could give Craig Smith more credit on the recruiting of him to stay, but I believe Sam was born and bred an Aggie no matter who came in. Sam thrived under Craig Smith's system, but he was always a solid player for us even under Duryea. What I'm trying to say is I don't know if lightning is going to strike twice. It sounds like we as fans are hoping (even though not directly) to replicate three straight years of NCAA tournament action in the first 3 years of this coach's tenure like Smith did. I'm not saying it can't happen, but if that's the expectation for us fans then we need to reevaluate those expectations. I'm not saying Odom won't get us to three straight NCAA tournaments, but it may not be his first 3 years let me just say that. However, I would hope that somewhere in the next 3 to 4 years we can get into the tournament again and start getting into it regularly from that point on once his plan, schemes, and players are mastered into his system.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 13th, 2021, 3:48 pm

aggies1 wrote:
I agree completely.

I hope this staff doesn't feel the necessity to operate so much under the radar.

Pope and BYU make sure to leak who they are recruiting, because it creates support, investment, and buy-in from fan base. Recruits feel that (sometimes too directly, which I'm not advocating for). But I think doing recruiting in the shadows, like the previous staff did, ultimately puts a bigger burden on the staff and makes recruiting harder in the long run. Make it known who you're after, get the fan base behind you, and invested! This is the way.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
splintorb

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 13th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 3:48 pm
aggies1 wrote:
I agree completely.

I hope this staff doesn't feel the necessity to operate so much under the radar.

Pope and BYU make sure to leak who they are recruiting, because it creates support, investment, and buy-in from fan base. Recruits feel that (sometimes too directly, which I'm not advocating for). But I think doing recruiting in the shadows, like the previous staff did, ultimately puts a bigger burden on the staff and makes recruiting harder in the long run. Make it known who you're after, get the fan base behind you, and invested! This is the way.
Much like Blake Anderson as well.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
splintorb

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » April 13th, 2021, 3:56 pm

I agree! The excitement is lacking and the fan base and current players need the hype. It seems to be much easier to sell other recruits and current players as well. Blake Anderson gets it and there is "hype" around the football program again because of it.
These users thanked the author aggies1 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 13th, 2021, 3:58 pm

Pope puts it out there so Mr. Smith knows who to send money to
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post:
Aglicious

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 13th, 2021, 3:58 pm

I think it all boils down to the fact that most of the guys on this board have little to no patience. We want to know who coach has contacted and want to know how good they are and how their visit went, and who else is recruiting them, and expects a highlight video. All of that before the kid even makes a verbal commitment.
It drives us crazy when we don’t know about any recruit until he is announced as signing a LOI.

Read a good book, watch a movie, go on a short trip, play some golf, do some yard work and get our minds off of who we are going to sign to play for our AGGIES. We will know in due time.

You all take my advice, and I’ll sit here in my retirement and worry and stew, and cuss and have fits over who we are recruiting. :noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseReal Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 13th, 2021, 4:07 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 3:58 pm
I think it all boils down to the fact that most of the guys on this board have little to no patience. We want to know who coach has contacted and want to know how good they are and how their visit went, and who else is recruiting them, and expects a highlight video. All of that before the kid even makes a verbal commitment.
It drives us crazy when we don’t know about any recruit until he is announced as signing a LOI.

Read a good book, watch a movie, go on a short trip, play some golf, do some yard work and get our minds off of who we are going to sign to play for our AGGIES. We will know in due time.

You all take my advice, and I’ll sit here in my retirement and worry and stew, and cuss and have fits over who we are recruiting. :noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:
True, but what do you expect from a message board where there are posts almost every minute? People regularly post on this site, so they are going to give their opinion in that moment. I actually don't think people on here are as negative as some believe. It is just an instant feeling, so when there is bad news or in this case no real news, that is going to be magnified. Once we start getting good news, that will also be magnified.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 13th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 4:07 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
April 13th, 2021, 3:58 pm

True, but what do you expect from a message board where there are posts almost every minute? People regularly post on this site, so they are going to give their opinion in that moment. I actually don't think people on here are as negative as some believe. It is just an instant feeling, so when there is bad news or in this case no real news, that is going to be magnified. Once we start getting good news, that will also be magnified.
I know that. Did you read my last sentence?....and the imogi’s?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 13th, 2021, 5:17 pm

What were you hoping for more specifically?

Are you hoping for more generalized recruiting goals, and Insta pictures in airport lounges letting people know he’s on the trail?

Or are you looking for “we are going after this one dude who can hit from anywhere”

Are coaches allowed to openly discuss recruits that haven’t signed? I thought that’s why we always had fairly generalized Aggie up and we “just got better” type tweets on the football side

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 13th, 2021, 5:44 pm

I look forward to Odom having a staff in place and securing some recruits.

LoveMyAggies

Change I was hoping for

Post by LoveMyAggies » April 13th, 2021, 9:53 pm

I agree with a1, the fans need more excitement during this transition. The more the better.

I could see them possibly worrying about perception of whifs on impact players. IMHO the more we as fans are included, I think more donations and excitement build.

Locked Previous topicNext topic