I am a little worried

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

I am a little worried

Post by troutputz » April 16th, 2021, 6:57 pm

For some reason my gut feeling is telling me to be wary of this new coach and staff. Heaven forbid but I keep dwelling on the past coach that we had once. When Ladell left for the Utah Stars he told everyone that Dale Brown, assistant to Ladell should be the new coach. The Ad and powers that be said no. Right there in 1971 was the biggest mistake in the history of Aggie basketball. Dale was an amazing recruiter, and then a head coach. Dale put LSU basketball on the map. So USU decided to hire a Adolf Rupp assistant from Kentucky! His name was T.L. Plain.....as my dad called him too late plain because of his ball control offense. We were used to Ladell’s run and gun style of play. We had the thoroughbreds to run with, Shaler Halimon, Marv Roberts, Nate Williams. Others through the years before and after. Was Cornell Green, Leroy Walker, Estes who was faster than people gave him credit. Jeff Tebbs, Hal Hale, Edd Epps and many others.
So the first strike agains Plain was his slower style of play. He lasted 2 years. The sad thing is that Ladell had left him some good basketball players. Glen Hansen, Daryl Owens, Rich Haws, Jim Boatright, Bob Lauriski, Terry Wakefield, Ron Hatch, Jeff Tebbs, Jimmy Moore, Lafayette Love, Sky View’s Kenny Thompson, Bryan Pavlish. Even back then Glen Hansen followed Dale to LSU. Plain ended first season at 16-10. And second season 12-14. Plain was fired after second season. Hell,, look at the players he had then, would that we could have such recruits as that list!

What’s my point? This new hire and staff, and lack of information about Players For the future, plus lack of any press coming from the coach, we’ve gone to long with silence. It reminds me of the T.L. Plain era! I pray I am totally wrong, but being a True Aggie I feel that if anything can go wrong, it would, because it’s Utah State. We want to be positive but when things are going great with winning seasons in basketball and football, in the back of our skeptical, cynical, mind is things are great, what thing will happen now to destroy our gains. And it does. T. L. Plain, Chris Pella, Kohn Smith, Brent Guy, Tim Duryea, Gary Anderson 2,0. Murphy’s Law applies to us way to much.
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
mcaggie1

USU73
Has thanked: 0

Re: I am a little worried

Post by USU73 » April 16th, 2021, 10:05 pm

Spot on!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 16th, 2021, 10:28 pm

troutputz wrote:For some reason my gut feeling is telling me to be wary of this new coach and staff. Heaven forbid but I keep dwelling on the past coach that we had once. When Ladell left for the Utah Stars he told everyone that Dale Brown, assistant to Ladell should be the new coach. The Ad and powers that be said no. Right there in 1971 was the biggest mistake in the history of Aggie basketball. Dale was an amazing recruiter, and then a head coach. Dale put LSU basketball on the map. So USU decided to hire a Adolf Rupp assistant from Kentucky! His name was T.L. Plain.....as my dad called him too late plain because of his ball control offense. We were used to Ladell’s run and gun style of play. We had the thoroughbreds to run with, Shaler Halimon, Marv Roberts, Nate Williams. Others through the years before and after. Was Cornell Green, Leroy Walker, Estes who was faster than people gave him credit. Jeff Tebbs, Hal Hale, Edd Epps and many others.
So the first strike agains Plain was his slower style of play. He lasted 2 years. The sad thing is that Ladell had left him some good basketball players. Glen Hansen, Daryl Owens, Rich Haws, Jim Boatright, Bob Lauriski, Terry Wakefield, Ron Hatch, Jeff Tebbs, Jimmy Moore, Lafayette Love, Sky View’s Kenny Thompson, Bryan Pavlish. Even back then Glen Hansen followed Dale to LSU. Plain ended first season at 16-10. And second season 12-14. Plain was fired after second season. Hell,, look at the players he had then, would that we could have such recruits as that list!

What’s my point? This new hire and staff, and lack of information about Players For the future, plus lack of any press coming from the coach, we’ve gone to long with silence. It reminds me of the T.L. Plain era! I pray I am totally wrong, but being a True Aggie I feel that if anything can go wrong, it would, because it’s Utah State. We want to be positive but when things are going great with winning seasons in basketball and football, in the back of our skeptical, cynical, mind is things are great, what thing will happen now to destroy our gains. And it does. T. L. Plain, Chris Pella, Kohn Smith, Brent Guy, Tim Duryea, Gary Anderson 2,0. Murphy’s Law applies to us way to much.
This post got more dumb with each sentence (and it’s a loooooong post).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 2):
jackattackutaggies

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 16th, 2021, 10:37 pm

I think we are to the point to demand the contract be void and move on from Odom.

USU73
Has thanked: 0

Post by USU73 » April 17th, 2021, 8:31 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
troutputz wrote:For some reason my gut feeling is telling me to be wary of this new coach and staff. Heaven forbid but I keep dwelling on the past coach that we had once. When Ladell left for the Utah Stars he told everyone that Dale Brown, assistant to Ladell should be the new coach. The Ad and powers that be said no. Right there in 1971 was the biggest mistake in the history of Aggie basketball. Dale was an amazing recruiter, and then a head coach. Dale put LSU basketball on the map. So USU decided to hire a Adolf Rupp assistant from Kentucky! His name was T.L. Plain.....as my dad called him too late plain because of his ball control offense. We were used to Ladell’s run and gun style of play. We had the thoroughbreds to run with, Shaler Halimon, Marv Roberts, Nate Williams. Others through the years before and after. Was Cornell Green, Leroy Walker, Estes who was faster than people gave him credit. Jeff Tebbs, Hal Hale, Edd Epps and many others.

You sounds like a slow reader.

Donman

Post by Donman » April 17th, 2021, 9:11 am

USU73 wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 8:31 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

You sounds like a slow reader.

Am I the only one who finds the irony in this post?
These users thanked the author Donman for the post:
utaggies

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » April 17th, 2021, 9:16 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 10:37 pm
I think we are to the point to demand the contract be void and move on from Odom.
Yep, two weeks is enough for me

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 17th, 2021, 12:23 pm

One things for sure, we need PR wins. That's all that matters. Wins on the court are overrated.

Seriously though, stop getting over-excited and over-depressed about coaching hire news and recruiting news. Let's see where we are next February.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
cdaAgAggieFBObsessionmcaggie1

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 17th, 2021, 12:31 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 12:23 pm
One things for sure, we need PR wins. That's all that matters. Wins on the court are overrated.

Seriously though, stop getting over-excited and over-depressed about coaching hire news and recruiting news. Let's see where we are next February.
What should be talked about for the next 10 months on here?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 17th, 2021, 1:07 pm

brownjeans wrote:One things for sure, we need PR wins. That's all that matters. Wins on the court are overrated.

Probably should just shut it down altogether until then.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » April 17th, 2021, 1:21 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 1:07 pm
brownjeans wrote:One things for sure, we need PR wins. That's all that matters. Wins on the court are overrated.

Probably should just shut it down altogether until then.

Then we'd all have to find something productive to do.
These users thanked the author stwinward for the post:
brownjeans

rAggie

Post by rAggie » April 17th, 2021, 3:49 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 10:37 pm
Lmao spit out my drink reading this :notworthy:
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Showing my True Colors since 2022

cval

Post by cval » April 17th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Well. I do remember the TLPlain years They were painful. A number of good players disappeared because they weren’t his guys, then he was gone.

This doesn’t feel anything like that.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 18th, 2021, 10:36 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 12:31 pm
brownjeans wrote:

I believe you are capable of discussing offseason activities without exaggerating their importance. Some others, I'm not certain, but I think you can do it.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 10:39 am

brownjeans wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 10:36 am
brownjeans wrote:

I believe you are capable of discussing offseason activities without exaggerating their importance. Some others, I'm not certain, but I think you can do it.
Recruiting is very important. How we fill out the roster over the next few weeks will determine if we are competitive next February.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 18th, 2021, 10:56 am

April 18th, 2021, 10:39 am
brownjeans wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Recruiting is very important. How we fill out the roster over the next few weeks will determine if we are competitive next February.
Winning in recruiting isn't as important as winning on the court.

Stew had great success with recruits most fans wouldn't be very excited about. Year after year the NewMags and other conference rivals would come pounding their chest about their great recruits, how our recruits sucked, how they were going to dominate us the next season. With the exception of Stew's final years, Stew's teams would simply win regardless of the hype or lack of hype about his recruits.

In those days we used to say that only fans of bad teams got excited about recruiting wins - it's all they had to get excited about. We were a good program and we knew we were going to win. We didn't hang on every word of recruiting news - we knew we were going to win anyway. Until Odom gives me cause for concern (loses a lot of games next year), I expect the same results.

I think we can discuss the offseason without a Pollyanna or the Chicken Little attitude. Let's see what the team looks like this November; see how they are playing in late January, before we declare the sky is falling.

Maybe, given the total lack of recruiting Smith & co. did this year, we should even consider giving Odom a year before we hit the panic button.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 11:03 am

brownjeans wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 10:56 am
brownjeans wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Stew had great success with recruits most fans wouldn't be very excited about. Year after year the NewMags and other conference rivals would come pounding their chest about their great recruits, how our recruits sucked, how they were going to dominate us the next season. With the exception of Stew's final years, Stew's teams would simply win regardless of the hype or lack of hype about his recruits.

In those days we used to say that only fans of bad teams got excited about recruiting wins - it's all they had to get excited about. We were a good program and we knew we were going to win. We didn't hang on every word of recruiting news - we knew we were going to win anyway. Until Odom gives me cause for concern (loses a lot of games next year), I expect the same results.

What I'm saying is I think we can discuss the offseason without the chicken little attitude. I'm probably less excited than most about the hire of Odom - but I seem to be less panicked about things too. Let's see what the team looks like this November; see how they are playing in late January, before we declare the sky is falling.

Maybe, given the total lack of recruiting Smith & co. did this year, we should even consider giving Odom a year before we hit the panic button.
I'm not hitting the panic button. I'm excited about Odom and excited about the future. I disagree that recruiting isn't a big deal. Sure, not every recruit lives up and some turn out to be better than predicted, but the players we bring in do give us a gage on how well we will do next year. This year more than most since the transfer portal is bigger than ever. We have seen how well these guys have done in college already. As for recruiting under Stew, there were a ton of players we recruited under Stew that I was excited about. Sure, not all lived up to the hype. When we got James Walker III, I was pretty excited and we saw how that played out. Most did work out though and we won a ton of games.

As for New Mexico State, I hate to say anything good about them, but they did win the Wac 3 of the last 4 years we were in the Wac, so I wouldn't say their recruiting didn't matter.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 18th, 2021, 2:17 pm

troutputz wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 6:57 pm
For some reason my gut feeling is telling me to be wary of this new coach and staff. Heaven forbid but I keep dwelling on the past coach that we had once. When Ladell left for the Utah Stars he told everyone that Dale Brown, assistant to Ladell should be the new coach. The Ad and powers that be said no. Right there in 1971 was the biggest mistake in the history of Aggie basketball. Dale was an amazing recruiter, and then a head coach. Dale put LSU basketball on the map. So USU decided to hire a Adolf Rupp assistant from Kentucky! His name was T.L. Plain.....as my dad called him too late plain because of his ball control offense. We were used to Ladell’s run and gun style of play. We had the thoroughbreds to run with, Shaler Halimon, Marv Roberts, Nate Williams. Others through the years before and after. Was Cornell Green, Leroy Walker, Estes who was faster than people gave him credit. Jeff Tebbs, Hal Hale, Edd Epps and many others.

And I don’t think T.L. Plain was ever sober. He showed up for some games hardly able to walk.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 18th, 2021, 2:19 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Can’t take history huh?
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 18th, 2021, 2:39 pm

brownjeans wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

I think we can discuss the offseason without a Pollyanna or the Chicken Little attitude. Let's see what the team looks like this November; see how they are playing in late January, before we declare the sky is falling.

Why are you pretending that winning recruiting battles isn’t related to winning on the court ?

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
utaggies

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 18th, 2021, 2:59 pm

brownjeans wrote:

There's a lot of wisdom in this post. The only exception I'd make is that you can't lose in recruiting year after year after year, or eventually you're going to be losing year after year after year on the court. So, while I agree that the first year he needs to be given some slack, we need to see what happens after year 2 of recruiting before I get cold feet about him.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
brownjeans

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 4:29 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 2:59 pm
brownjeans wrote:

There's a lot of wisdom in this post. The only exception I'd make is that you can't lose in recruiting year after year after year, or eventually you're going to be losing year after year after year on the court. So, while I agree that the first year he needs to be given some slack, we need to see what happens after year 2 of recruiting before I get cold feet about him.
I don't think anyone on here isn't giving him slack. Nobody is saying he should be fired if we have a bad year next year or if we don't recruit well this offseason.

As you point out though, if you lose in recruiting you lose on the court. Recruiting is a major topic. Hopefully we will start hearing some good news of good players coming into the program.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 18th, 2021, 6:34 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 2:19 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Can’t take history huh?
The ignernt taketh the truth to be hard.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 18th, 2021, 7:18 pm

I am not worried.

We’ve added one player in the grad transfer market so far that I believe will be an impact player for us. We have three remaining scholarship and a boatload of high level players still in the portal, as well as HS and JUCO players to choose from. If Miller is done we could have 4 more scholarships. Plenty of roster maintenance still to do and time and players left to do it.

I am, however, impatient because I love USU basketball and love hearing good, exciting news about recruits, coaches, and the direction of the team.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
Bank ShotnswaggieBLUERUFiO

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 18th, 2021, 8:26 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 2:39 pm
Why are you pretending that winning recruiting battles isn’t related to winning on the court ?
That's not what I'm doing. What I'm doing is saying I couldn't care less about offseason PR wins IF we are winning where it matters most - games & championships.
When we aren't winning, THEN I'll worry about recruiting, not the other way around.
Last edited by brownjeans on April 18th, 2021, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 18th, 2021, 8:30 pm

I would say the fear of unknown is never rational since what is unknown is unknown. I am excited since the numbers, data, and information all point in the positive direction at this point in time.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 18th, 2021, 8:33 pm

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
That's not what I'm doing. What I'm doing is saying I couldn't care less about offseason PR wins IF we are winning the things that matter - games & championships. When we aren't winning, THEN I'll worry about recruiting, not the other way around. Let's see what Odom does on the court..
No you didn’t. You said you didn’t care about recruiting wins. You didn’t say PR wins. There is a direct correlation to recruiting wins and wins on the court.

You’re moving the goalposts by now saying PR wins.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 18th, 2021, 8:35 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 8:33 pm
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
That's not what I'm doing. What I'm doing is saying I couldn't care less about offseason PR wins IF we are winning the things that matter - games & championships. When we aren't winning, THEN I'll worry about recruiting, not the other way around. Let's see what Odom does on the court..
No you didn’t. You said you didn’t care about recruiting wins. You didn’t say PR wins. There is a direct correlation to recruiting wins and wins on the court.

Read my first post in this thread... PR wins was the first place I put the goalposts.
https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 38#p716005

Maybe try to understand people more, troll less

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 9:35 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 8:26 pm
2004AG wrote:
That's not what I'm doing. What I'm doing is saying I couldn't care less about offseason PR wins IF we are winning where it matters most - games & championships.
When we aren't winning, THEN I'll worry about recruiting, not the other way around.
It is more than a "PR win." Getting good players means you will win on the court. Failing in recruiting means you won't. The next few weeks are critical for our on court success next season.

2004AG

I am a little worried

Post by 2004AG » April 18th, 2021, 9:40 pm

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 8:33 pm
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Read my first post in this thread... PR wins was the first place I put the goalposts.
https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 38#p716005

Maybe try to understand people more, troll less
I’m trolling by quoting you? Pay close attention to the post of yours that I quoted and highlighted. You’re moving the goalposts by pretending I was referencing a different post.

Here is your direct quote that I am referencing:

“Winning in recruiting isn't as important as winning on the court.”

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 18th, 2021, 9:55 pm

brownjeans wrote:

I think Stew Morrill was a little underrated during the first decade of this century when it came to recruiting. Maybe it wasn't hyped enough, but these were some of the recruits he had.

Tai Wesley-Utah HS POY
Tyler Newbold-Utah All State
Nate Harris-Utah HS POY
Jaycee Carroll-Wyoming HS POY
Brady Jardine-Idaho HS POY
Mark Brown-JC MVP for his league
Gary Wilkinson-JC All American
Chaz Spicer-JC All American
Desmond Penigar-JC runner up player of year for California
Jared Quayle-2nd Team JC All American

And even though he didn't recruit them, he coached them.

Tony Brown-Utah POY
Spencer Nelson-Idaho POY

He also recruited Sam Merrill and Jalen Moore who were both POY or All State players.

Most of these guys were quite good players before coming to Utah State, and it showed with the run that Morrill put together, particularly winning so many conference titles. There were some others that didn't pan out that had decent HS and college careers as well.

I don't think football has landed that many state players of the year, though I know that you are comparing 13 scholarships to 85 scholarships.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 18th, 2021, 10:30 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 9:40 pm
“Winning in recruiting isn't as important as winning on the court.”
That's a true statement. Winning on the court is MORE important. That doesn't mean recruiting doesn't matter - it means winning games matters MORE.

You don't believe that? Show me the trophies and banners schools display for recruiting and I'll change my mind.

As for trolling - I apologize if that's not what you're doing. But it seems you are working around the edges of what I'm saying looking for opportunities to reframe my words to dig at irrelevant points. You seem less interested in coming to an understanding, more interested in conversational contests. I'm not interested in that.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 18th, 2021, 10:45 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 9:55 pm
brownjeans wrote:

I think Stew Morrill was a little underrated during the first decade of this century when it came to recruiting. Maybe it wasn't hyped enough, but these were some of the recruits he had.

Tai Wesley-Utah HS POY
Tyler Newbold-Utah All State
Nate Harris-Utah HS POY
Jaycee Carroll-Wyoming HS POY
Brady Jardine-Idaho HS POY
Mark Brown-JC MVP for his league
Gary Wilkinson-JC All American
Chaz Spicer-JC All American
Desmond Penigar-JC runner up player of year for California
Jared Quayle-2nd Team JC All American

And even though he didn't recruit them, he coached them.

Tony Brown-Utah POY
Spencer Nelson-Idaho POY

He also recruited Sam Merrill and Jalen Moore who were both POY or All State players.

Most of these guys were quite good players before coming to Utah State, and it showed with the run that Morrill put together, particularly winning so many conference titles. There were some others that didn't pan out that had decent HS and college careers as well.

I don't think football has landed that many state players of the year, though I know that you are comparing 13 scholarships to 85 scholarships.
I agree that Stew had great players. I also agree his recruiting was underrated. But no one was writing about how USU was killing it in recruiting. Recruiting wasn't nearly as important to USU fans as winning games - and shouldn't be.
Again, my point isn't that recruiting doesn't matter (I never said that) - but that winning games matters MORE and should be our focus and our expectation regardless of what people are saying about our recruiting.

Seems people are getting worried (title of the thread) over the PR and twitter buzz around offseason activities. Follow it, yes. Talk about it, yes. But don't get too high or too low over it. We should demand winning of GAMES. If we demand that from our coaches, then good recruiting, staff hires, and internal development will naturally follow.
And if we are getting wins and championships, then who cares about the PR and twitter buzz. No one wears twitter buzz rings, let the bad teams focus on those things while we win games and wear rings for it.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Pacobag

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 19th, 2021, 8:58 am

I agree, winning on the court is more important than winning in the recruiting world.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 19th, 2021, 9:23 am

NVAggie wrote:I agree, winning on the court is more important than winning in the recruiting world.
Who is saying otherwise ?

There is an undeniable direct correlation between the two though.

Locked Previous topicNext topic