Craig Smith says he wants to play Utah State

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Craig Smith says he wants to play Utah State

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 20th, 2021, 11:05 am

sancho839 wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 10:54 am
There's a difference between cheering for and not booing. And those Cleveland fans were dumb. Don't you remember every story being about how lame they were?
Pretty much any rival coach is going to get booed on their return. That is just part of sports. Here is maybe a better example than the Lebron one with Rick Pitino getting booed when he coached rival Louisville on his return to Kentucky:
https://www.newson6.com/story/5e3680a32 ... rupp-arena

Here is what one fan says that sums it up: ``He's a traitor,'' ``For him to choose Louisville, it means he couldn't care less about what he accomplished at Kentucky. I would've respected him choosing any other school, even Tennessee. But not Louisville.''

Craig Smith could have gone to Minnesota, Iowa State, or pretty much everywhere else and it would have been business. Going to a hated rival shows he doesn't respect Utah State.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 20th, 2021, 11:16 am

This is the Spectrum we are talking about. We boo everyone. Every opponent, every opposing coach, even opposing bench players. That's part of the magic. Doesn't have to be personal, but if you come into our house, you are going to get an ear full!
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieaggies22Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 20th, 2021, 12:33 pm

AggiePT wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 11:16 am
This is the Spectrum we are talking about. We boo everyone. Every opponent, every opposing coach, even opposing bench players. That's part of the magic. Doesn't have to be personal, but if you come into our house, you are going to get an ear full!
I've accepted what happened, and I wish him success because I hold no ill will against Craig Smith.

But it would also be against the spirit of the Spectrum not to yell and heckle and drown him/his team with a verbal assault should they choose to come up here. It's not out of spite or "I hate that guy". It would be dishonest and disingenuous not to give him/them the full Spectrum experience.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
AggiePT

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 20th, 2021, 3:50 pm

AggiePT wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 11:16 am
Oh but in this case, you better believe it is personal. Utah sucks!!!! Majerus, Boylen, Krysto and now Smith. F*ck them all! Again, Utah sucks!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 21st, 2021, 12:25 am

If I'm in attendance I won't be booing. I would probably give the guy a standing ovation for pulling our program out of the ashes that Duryea left us in and bringing us to three straight NCAA tournaments and multiple MW Championships.

Am I sad he left? Yes. Am I butt hurt to the point where I would boo him? Not even close. Dude was probably my favorite Aggie coach ever.

This is a business and he got an opportunity to further his career while getting more than double the pay. He made the best decision for himself and his family. Time to move on.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
gomretatReal Life AggiePacobagBank ShotJSHarvey

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 21st, 2021, 2:39 am

Luckily I think we’ll never have to decide whether to boo or not. At least not in the near future.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 21st, 2021, 5:17 am

Craig Smith did what many of us have done - which is make a job change that we felt was best for us and for our family. I wish he would have stayed but him leaving was inevitable. For me, where he chose to go was his call and should have nothing to do with any kind of loyalty or rivalry with a former employer. I am considering a job change right now with a different consulting firm. It is part of the game.
As for being different from what he said, that happens all the time with coaches. I don't care for that but I get it and I think I get why they do it. They have to keep their current players and recruits comfortable in the event they stay put. I am all for playing the Utes in basketball as long as it doesn't involve a neutral court and it is a home and home situation.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 21st, 2021, 9:22 am

Micheal Scott said, We must boo him, so as to not give him preferential treatment, and in that way, we honor him! :)
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post:
NVAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 21st, 2021, 9:35 am

treesap32 wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 12:25 am
If I'm in attendance I won't be booing. I would probably give the guy a standing ovation for pulling our program out of the ashes that Duryea left us in and bringing us to three straight NCAA tournaments and multiple MW Championships.

Am I sad he left? Yes. Am I butt hurt to the point where I would boo him? Not even close. Dude was probably my favorite Aggie coach ever.

This is a business and he got an opportunity to further his career while getting more than double the pay. He made the best decision for himself and his family. Time to move on.
I'd like to think I would join you in the standing O when they announced his name. Could I persuade you to then join me in the "Welcome to Hell" chant directly afterward and then berating him and booing him mercilessly the entire game? I think it's a good compromise. :devil:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 9):
AggiePTereksonaggieUSU78hipsterdoofus21Fullsancho839NVAggieUSUaggieaggieguy13

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 21st, 2021, 12:28 pm

gomretat wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 5:17 am
Craig Smith did what many of us have done - which is make a job change that we felt was best for us and for our family. I wish he would have stayed but him leaving was inevitable. For me, where he chose to go was his call and should have nothing to do with any kind of loyalty or rivalry with a former employer. I am considering a job change right now with a different consulting firm. It is part of the game.
As for being different from what he said, that happens all the time with coaches. I don't care for that but I get it and I think I get why they do it. They have to keep their current players and recruits comfortable in the event they stay put. I am all for playing the Utes in basketball as long as it doesn't involve a neutral court and it is a home and home situation.
No offense dude, but these posts shouldn't still be popping up. It has been explained over and over, people aren't upset that he left, but where he left to.

If you don't hate Utah, that is your right, but I and many other Aggie fans do. We aren't going to be a fan of the Ute coach just because he had success at USU. Nobody expected Craig Smith to stay at USU forever, or even stay another year. He decided to leave for the enemy.

In the article I posted about when Pitino was coaching Louisville and returned back at Kentucky a fan being interviewed say this on why she was booing Pitino: `For him to choose Louisville, it means he couldn't care less about what he accomplished at Kentucky. I would've respected him choosing any other school, even Tennessee. But not Louisville.''

I want Utah to fail and fail miserably in all sports as do many other Aggie fans. This isn't about getting a higher paying job. He could have done that at any other P5 school and people would have been fine with it.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 4):
hipsterdoofus21aggieguy13flying_scotsman2.0NowhereLandAggie

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 21st, 2021, 1:28 pm

Decades ago, as a young teenager, I disliked students of two rival high schools. When I turned 16 and began working, I started meeting and actually getting to know people from those schools. Turns out they were pretty cool. My dislike then shifted from entire fanbases and schools, instead to obnoxious and hateful behavior of fans.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 21st, 2021, 1:44 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 1:28 pm
Decades ago, as a young teenager, I disliked students of two rival high schools. When I turned 16 and began working, I started meeting and actually getting to know people from those schools. Turns out they were pretty cool. My dislike then shifted from entire fanbases and schools, instead to obnoxious and hateful behavior of fans.
I hate the institution. I know a lot of U and BYU fans personally. While they may not be of the highest quality, they’re still decent people overall. However, it’s still important to me that both teams fail.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
JSHarvey

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 21st, 2021, 2:55 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 1:28 pm
Seeing how both my parents graduated from BYU (my dad did his Master's at USU and worked for them for 33 years), my grandparents went to the U, and many other siblings and relatives went all over, I can easily say I don't hate fans of the institution. Truly I don't hate the institutions themselves. I have taken people to the U of U hospital in my own family, visited BYU etc.

I just don't like their athletic teams, never really will. I don't wish ill on the schools, nor the students that go there. There are about 40 things in my life more important than college sports, but I will cheer for USU over anyone else. I won't cheer for Utah Basketball, it is that simple.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 21st, 2021, 3:02 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 9:35 am
treesap32 wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 12:25 am

I'd like to think I would join you in the standing O when they announced his name. Could I persuade you to then join me in the "Welcome to Hell" chant directly afterward and then berating him and booing him mercilessly the entire game? I think it's a good compromise. :devil:
Yes! :cheers: I'm guessing Craig would understand that and get a kick out of it.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
newhouse9

Locked Previous topicNext topic