Eytle-Rock

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: Eytle-Rock

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2021, 1:07 pm

nvspuds wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:06 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:04 pm
Aglicious wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:00 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 12:57 pm
Aglicious wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 12:50 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 12:11 pm
Some people have expressed a big "meh" at this transfer. I will say though he was a 40% 3 point shooter & this team desperately needs that. If we can now just add one more very athletic transfer Guard I'll be really pleased with the offseason.
That would be me. :anonymous: I just worry about what we are up against in the MWC when it comes to guards. Thank goodness Marcus Williams moved on but we still have to contend with guards like Stevens, Moore, Butler, Sherfield, Cambridge, etc. I don't think this signing still gives us anyone on par with these guys but I do think he helps fill a role as another ball handler on the court and someone who can create for himself and others.

If we can add a quick athletic guard that has more traditional elite PG skills then I'm a bit more on board with this transfer. If he is being looked at as the main solution at PG, I don't think we are going to measure up. I do like his 3-pt shooting % but his shot motion is awfully slow. I'm not sure he'll have the luxury of having that much time in this league so it will be interesting if he can make it at the same rate if he is sped up.
I suppose I’m just not as impressed with the guards in the MW as many of you. I’d take Moore, Stevens, and Sherfield on our team for sure, but, if I’m honest, no one else we played last year was that memorable. Maybe that was Marco playing good defense?
I would take the 3 you listed but I would take Cambridge above all of them....and I would take Matt Bradley (now at SDSU) above them too.
I mean, maybe? Matt Bradley filled a stat sheet on a really bad Cal team, but I would be excited if we had signed him.

I’d take CSU’s guard line over Nevada’s. Not even hesitation (sorry nvspuds).

If we can sign someone like a Kendle Moore with the last two scholarships, I’d be over the moon.
Never apologize.
Well, if it helps, I’m considering Roddy as a guard too. CSU and Nevada should be the favorites next year. Let’s hope they wear the crown better than Boise did. CSU and Nevada are my favorite conference mates (slight edge to CSU because of that poor fire extinguisher)

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2021, 1:14 pm

So two years of RJ and one year of Horvath, right?

FWIW, UMBC G/F Keondre Kennedy retweeted RJ’s announcement. Could just be supporting a teammate, but thought I’d pass that along.

Kennedy is a pretty bad three point shooter, but seems to be able to create his own shot, and was the AE SMOTY. Might be a nice bench piece, especially if we have any more departures. I don’t know that he’d be my first choice of how to use the last two scholarships, but not the last either. Any of our UMBC friends want to chime in?
Last edited by ineptimusprime on April 19th, 2021, 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 19th, 2021, 1:22 pm

These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
slcagg

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 19th, 2021, 1:31 pm

Looking at his highlights, I really like how he uses his left hand, but the number of long 2's concern me. Unless he can hit those in the high 40% range or better (really rare, even in the NBA) it's not a good shot. I'd much rather see him take a step back and shoot those as threes.

As mentioned, he'd probably be a bit better if he could play at around 210 rather than 225 provided he kept his strength. Would probably make him a bit quicker.

What kind of a defender is he?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

SLB

Post by SLB » April 19th, 2021, 1:33 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:14 pm

FWIW, UMBC G/F Keondre Kennedy retweeted RJ’s announcement. Could just be supporting a teammate, but thought I’d pass that along.

Kennedy is a pretty bad three point shooter, but seems to be able to create his own shot, and was the AE SMOTY. Might be a nice bench piece, especially if we have any more departures. I don’t know that he’d be my first choice of how to use the last two scholarships, but not the last either. Any of our UMBC friends want to chime in?
And he was 93.8% on FTs
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieAggiePTtreesap32

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 19th, 2021, 1:33 pm

Really solid pickup. I like how strong he is and is able to finish at the rim. Not the fastest or quickest player, but really solid pickup. Would like to see a PG and a good shooting 2/3 position for the remaining spots. RJ for sure lessens the sting of losing Rollie. I don't know how good defensively RJ is, but we need to him to be good at defense as well considering Anthony was a beast at that position on defense.

This for sure eases everyone's frustrations on all of the silence from the new coach. Any time you can get 2 first team all conference players from a conference similar to the Big Sky I consider that a good step in the right direction.

cval

Post by cval » April 19th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Loved the highlight film. Didn't miss a single shot :)

He seems to release his outside shot a little low, but the defender seemed to have no idea when he was going to release it, so he seemed to be crafty enough to get it off.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:33 pm
Really solid pickup. I like how strong he is and is able to finish at the rim. Not the fastest or quickest player, but really solid pickup. Would like to see a PG and a good shooting 2/3 position for the remaining spots. RJ for sure lessens the sting of losing Rollie. I don't know how good defensively RJ is, but we need to him to be good at defense as well considering Anthony was a beast at that position on defense.

This for sure eases everyone's frustrations on all of the silence from the new coach. Any time you can get 2 first team all conference players from a conference similar to the Big Sky I consider that a good step in the right direction.
Exactly. The Groves twins from EWU ended up at Oklahoma. I think landing Horvath and Eytle-Rock is comparable.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2021, 1:38 pm

SLB wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:33 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

And he was 93.8% on FTs
Good catch. We could always use a guy that can get to the cup and make 90+ percent from FT.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on April 19th, 2021, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 19th, 2021, 1:43 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Some people have expressed a big "meh" at this transfer. I will say though he was a 40% 3 point shooter & this team desperately needs that. If we can now just add one more very athletic transfer Guard I'll be really pleased with the offseason.
I don’t know how you can watch his highlights and not be intrigued by his handles and ability to attack the rim. Not to mention his 3 pt%. Has a strong build like Matt Mitchell and won’t get knocked around. I love this signing.
And with some strict dieting and strength training he could get whipped into shape quickly.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 19th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Yessir! Super excited to see him and Brandon play together with Odom again.

This is going to be good test for his game. He's been progressing tremendously with Odom over the past 3 seasons so I don't doubt he'll continue to grow. Really smart player with ability to consistently hit open 3's, but hoping to see some improvement in creating his own 3.
These users thanked the author umbc32244 for the post (total 5):
Roy McAvoyReal Life AggieBLUERUFiOAggieArmy3rdGenAggie

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 19th, 2021, 1:49 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Love, love Kennedy's game. His 3 ball has been inconsistent in D1, but shot 41% from 3 in JUCO (69/173). He is quick, crafty, has an amazing passing IQ, and can get his shot off against anyone. He is due for that 3 ball to find some consistency too...

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 19th, 2021, 1:49 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:46 pm

This is going to be good test for his game. He's been progressing tremendously with Odom over the past 3 seasons so I don't doubt he'll continue to grow. Really smart player with ability to consistently hit open 3's, but hoping to see some improvement in creating his own 3.
Do you think he has the ability to play a true full-time PG or do you see him more as a combo guard and not really an effective full-time PG in a conference full of good PG's?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 19th, 2021, 1:49 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 12:42 pm
aggies95 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 12:08 pm
Those that I've spoken to know that I've been waiting for this one for almost a week. This is one of the reasons I've been saying relax.
aggies22 saying relax = something good is about to happen

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 19th, 2021, 1:52 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:49 pm
umbc32244 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Do you think he has the ability to play a true full-time PG or do you see him more as a combo guard and not really an effective full-time PG in a conference full of good PG's?
Not too familiar with USU's roster but I'd surmise combo guard - I liked having Rogers/Kennedy at point at UMBC. While he was a great team defender, he struggled with some lateral quickness at times with the quicker guards so also imagine he won't defend the MW PGs too much.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » April 19th, 2021, 2:14 pm

So do we really expect him to wear #5?

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2021, 2:23 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Love, love Kennedy's game. His 3 ball has been inconsistent in D1, but shot 41% from 3 in JUCO (69/173). He is quick, crafty, has an amazing passing IQ, and can get his shot off against anyone. He is due for that 3 ball to find some consistency too...

I like those highlights. How does he defend?

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 19th, 2021, 2:25 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 2:23 pm
umbc32244 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

We could use an athlete like this. We always seem to not be the most athletic team, but this guy would help.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2021, 2:29 pm

If we play Valley Forge next year, I'm feeling pretty confident.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggiemcaggie1

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 19th, 2021, 2:37 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 2:23 pm
umbc32244 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Solid man defender, and I think it was a key reason he was 6th Man of the Year. Odom really only played guys who could defend, though, aside from one big he played for his inside-out offensive sets. Odom let a young PG go (Jose Placer at UNF who scored 15 PPG as a sophomore this season) because he wasn't buying in defensively like Eytle-Rock.

Only negative thing I can really say about Kennedy's game at the America East level was his lack of 3 point success.

usujazz

Post by usujazz » April 19th, 2021, 2:44 pm

2 years left to play?

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » April 19th, 2021, 3:46 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:43 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I don’t know how you can watch his highlights and not be intrigued by his handles and ability to attack the rim. Not to mention his 3 pt%. Has a strong build like Matt Mitchell and won’t get knocked around. I love this signing.
And with some strict dieting and strength training he could get whipped into shape quickly.
I've noticed with players that either have a thicker build or even if they are overweight, they probably aren't going to be slimming down to your prototypical Jordan style build. If you can keep weight on playing college basketball then you either need to stop eating so much or your body is just naturally that shape. I don't think this dude needs to be in better shape unless you saw game film of him being gassed or something.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 19th, 2021, 4:04 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 3:46 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I've noticed with players that either have a thicker build or even if they are overweight, they probably aren't going to be slimming down to your prototypical Jordan style build. If you can keep weight on playing college basketball then you either need to stop eating so much or your body is just naturally that shape. I don't think this dude needs to be in better shape unless you saw game film of him being gassed or something.
ER will definitely benefit from better nutrition. I'm not sure how strong he is or what his endurance is like but he likely needs to put a little more emphasis into strength training. No question that he can and needs to transform his body if he wants to get better and become more athletic. Look at what Matt Mitchell and Sam Merrill were able to do. Sam never dunked in his four years of college basketball and now he's dunked twice in the NBA with extremely limited playing time. Sam worked his a$s off during the off season and focused on his diet. Through strength training and nutrition bodies WILL change shape.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 19th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 4:04 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 3:46 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
ER will definitely benefit from better nutrition. I'm not sure how strong he is or what his endurance is like but he likely needs to put a little more emphasis into strength training. No question that he can and needs to transform his body if he wants to get better and become more athletic. Look at what Matt Mitchell and Sam Merrill were able to do. Sam never dunked in his four years of college basketball and now he's dunked twice in the NBA with extremely limited playing time. Sam worked his a$s off during the off season and focused on his diet. Through strength training and nutrition bodies WILL change shape.
That conditioning comes into play when playing at altitude, as well.

Eutaw St. Aggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 19th, 2021, 5:04 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I wouldn't use the phrase "whipped into shape"

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 19th, 2021, 5:13 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 5:04 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I wouldn't use the phrase "whipped into shape"
Yeah perhaps "whipped" isn't a good word for it but he could transform his body pretty quickly. It's not like he has a lot of work to do.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 19th, 2021, 5:14 pm

aggies22 wrote:
aggies95 wrote:
Those that I've spoken to know that I've been waiting for this one for almost a week. This is one of the reasons I've been saying relax.
Objectively, it's a good pick-up. However, the coaching staff thus far has only managed to lose key players from last year's team and bring a few from their old school. Not terribly impressive. Are they adding any new talent in the near future that we should be excited about?

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » April 19th, 2021, 5:17 pm

40% from 3 is music to my ears!! Our shooting was awful
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieBLUERUFiO

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 19th, 2021, 5:20 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 5:14 pm
aggies22 wrote:
aggies95 wrote:
Objectively, it's a good pick-up. However, the coaching staff thus far has only managed to lose key players from last year's team and bring a few from their old school. Not terribly impressive. Are they adding any new talent in the near future that we should be excited about?
But the 2 BEST players from their old school. I would take the top 2 players from the top team in the American East any day. We knew we would lose Queta and probably a few other guys. Rollie and Marco leaving was a surprise, but Eytle Rock and Horvath have more D1 playing experience and seem to be more of an offensive threat.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2021, 5:22 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
aggies95 wrote:
The other day you were saying our foundational players were already on the team lol. Now you are coming to the basic understanding that Smith didn't leave the necessary talent to win the MW?

Horvath and Eytle-Rock are great pick ups.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 19th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Watching his highlights, he really reminds me of Matt Mitchell. It looks like he likes to dribble a lot. It also looks like he plays pretty darn calm and collected.

I've got to go watch a full UMBC game from last year, now.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 19th, 2021, 5:40 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 5:22 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
aggies95 wrote:
The other day you were saying our foundational players were already on the team lol. Now you are coming to the basic understanding that Smith didn't leave the necessary talent to win the MW?

Never said that, said there are guys on the roster that could potentially be foundational players. They have the talent, it's on them.

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 19th, 2021, 5:43 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 5:34 pm
Watching his highlights, he really reminds me of Matt Mitchell. It looks like he likes to dribble a lot. It also looks like he plays pretty darn calm and collected.

I've got to go watch a full UMBC game from last year, now.

This was the de facto "AE Regular Season Title" game. Winner got #1 seed.
These users thanked the author umbc32244 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2021, 5:43 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 5:40 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
aggies95 wrote:

Never said that, said there are guys on the roster that could potentially be foundational players. They have the talent, it's on them.
Disagree they have the talent to be foundational players. Foundational players mean your best players, your leaders and guys you build around to win at a high level. The three you mentioned don't match the criteria. Hope they contribute and are solid, but you aren't making the NCAA tournament building around Bairstow and McChesney, sorry. Besides Bean there is a good chance Eytle-Rock and Horvath will be our best players next year. Hopefully Odom adds another proven transfer before this is done.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2021, 5:48 pm

April 19th, 2021, 5:43 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 5:40 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
aggies95 wrote:

Disagree they have the talent to be foundational players. Foundational players mean your best players, your leaders and guys you build around to win at a high level. The three you mentioned don't match the criteria. Hope they contribute and are solid, but you aren't making the NCAA tournament building around Bairstow and McChesney, sorry. Besides Bean there is a good chance Eytle-Rock and Horvath will be our best players next year. Hopefully Odom adds another proven transfer before this is done.
Or two. Or three. Or hey, let’s talk Marco into staying. Or maybe Fonz?

Between Miller’s health issues, and guys currently on the roster maybe wanting to leave after guys are added that will be taking PT from them, I think the odds are good that we will be adding at least 3 more players to the roster next year that are not currently on the roster.

Locked Previous topicNext topic