Gonzaga Recruit

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

Gonzaga Recruit

Post by Yossarian » April 19th, 2021, 11:04 pm

Is this what we have in McChesney? Similar build. I've heard tall about elite athleticism

https://fb.watch/4_6Hig1Gey/

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Gonzaga Recruit

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2021, 11:12 pm

Is McChesney going to be as good as the number 1 recruit in the country that will be a top 3 pick in the 2022 draft?

Don't get your hopes up.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 19th, 2021, 11:19 pm

Noted.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2021, 11:24 pm

But hey hope he is great. I gave OrangeCountyAggie a hard time for saying McChesney was going to be a foundational player over the next 3-4 years. In what little he played this year I wasn't impressed, but hope he continues to get better and that he becomes as good as some on here believe he will be.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 19th, 2021, 11:46 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 11:24 pm
But hey hope he is great. I gave OrangeCountyAggie a hard time for saying McChesney was going to be a foundational player over the next 3-4 years. In what little he played this year I wasn't impressed, but hope he continues to get better and that he becomes as good as some on here believe he will be.
That was kind of my point in posting this. McChesney has been hyped around these parts to the point of getting compared to Kevin Garnet. The poor kid has no chance of living up to that kind of comparison. If he can develop into a 10 ppg player by the time he leaves here, i will be pleasantly surprised. I think it is more likely he leaves before his eligibility is used up.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 20th, 2021, 12:21 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 11:46 pm
That was kind of my point in posting this. McChesney has been hyped around these parts to the point of getting compared to Kevin Garnet. The poor kid has no chance of living up to that kind of comparison. If he can develop into a 10 ppg player by the time he leaves here, i will be pleasantly surprised. I think it is more likely he leaves before his eligibility is used up.
Agreed with both points.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 20th, 2021, 1:46 am

I'm happy to stand alone on this hill. McChesney may never be fully healthy or may leave or whatever else. BUT there are real reasons for optimism:

1. He averaged 35 points, eight assists, and 14 rebounds in high school. I don't care if you averaged that in church ball, those numbers are outstanding (Jaycee-like stats).
2. He has unique size for his position. At 6'10'' he could be a nightmare for opposing wing players. We've never seen anything like it. The closest comparison would be Jalen Moore at 6'8'' - who was also underweight when he started here. Jalen developed into a fringe NBA guy.
3. We've heard coach Smith rave about his shooting ability, work ethic, and commitment to defense. Although we (as a fan base) have never been able to see any of that, he did show (in his very limited minutes) some ballhandling and fluidity as an athlete. This leads me to believe that he could (in theory) successfully play out on the wing in spite of his ridiculous size.
4. He's one of the highest recruits we've landed in recent years and we beat out a few P5 programs for his services. Due to the remoteness of his Canadian hometown, he was probably underscouted (similar to Queta).

You have to think the new coaching staff, coming in with a fresh perspective; will be intrigued with his potential and give him the attention and enough leeway to fully develop. Now it's up to him.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 2):
slcaggbrownjeans

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 20th, 2021, 7:22 am

I'm bearish on Liam. I just don't think he will ever be healthy.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 20th, 2021, 7:33 am

I’m not gonna be too hard on Liam until I have a better understanding of his injury history. Does anyone know when he was injured, what it was, and how long it lasted?

Either way, not great for Liam. He has either been too frail to stay healthy enough to play for two full seasons, or not good enough to see the floor despite that his skill set would have been extremely valuable the last two seasons.

The early returns don’t bode well for Liam, but that doesn’t mean he can’t develop.

dogie

Post by dogie » April 20th, 2021, 7:54 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 11:04 pm
Is this what we have in McChesney? Similar build. I've heard tall about elite athleticism

https://fb.watch/4_6Hig1Gey/

Just think what Holmgren can do at Gonzaga next year when he can play without a mask!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 20th, 2021, 8:07 am

Chet Holmgren sounds like the name of a dude that owns a couple Shell stations in Sheboygan, not the number 1 college basketball recruit.

It’s like Norm Powell of the Trailblazers. There can’t be someone named Norm Powell in the NBA. Norm Powell is a name for the local head of the IBEW or alternatively he does cabinets.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 20th, 2021, 8:57 am

I can't think of a school I'd rather play for less.

:headscratch:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 20th, 2021, 9:58 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 1:46 am
3. We've heard coach Smith rave about his shooting ability, work ethic, and commitment to defense. Although we (as a fan base) have never been able to see any of that, he did show (in his very limited minutes) some ballhandling and fluidity as an athlete. This leads me to believe that he could (in theory) successfully play out on the wing in spite of his ridiculous size.

You have to think the new coaching staff, coming in with a fresh perspective; will be intrigued with his potential and give him the attention and enough leeway to fully develop. Now it's up to him.
We heard Smith rave about a lot of guys to a microphone that was ultimately just fluff. I remember him going off once about how Bean has become this amazing 3 point shooter. I don't think Marco Anthony's skillset quite matched what I heard him say about Anthony as well.

I also remember him going off about how Carson Bischoff is just this absolutely incredible shooter and they lucked out getting him as a walk on. Then he transfers to UT-Arlington and goes 6-32 from the 3 point line on the season last year.

I don't think him hyping guys is a bad thing, I just mean I don't trust it.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Pacobag

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 20th, 2021, 12:17 pm

When the media asks about a player, how should the coach respond?

The coach is likely optimistic about a player’s potential or he/she wouldn’t have recruited the player in the first place. The player, team, player’s family, fans, etc. will get wind of any comments to the media. There are plenty of behind the scenes conversations between players and coaches that can be used for “constructive” criticisms. While sometimes fun to hear, based on what we’ve seen on the court thus far, I’m not going to put much stock into Zapala has NBA potential or Liam is Durrant lite. Would be great if they become significant contributors though.

Locked Previous topicNext topic