The hopefully definitive offseason thread

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

The hopefully definitive offseason thread

Post by ineptimusprime » May 17th, 2021, 11:51 pm

Well, the hopefully definitive transfer portal thread was a rousing success, so prepare yourselves for the sequel — the hopefully definitive offseason thread. Feel free to use this thread for updates on player arrivals, summer workouts, ratball reports, schedule updates, etc.

I’ll start with a couple of questions:

(1) when are players supposed to report back for summer workouts?
(2) when do we usually start hearing ratball reports?
(3) we usually don’t start hearing schedule updates until later in the summer, right? Hopefully we can find an MTE to participate in.

I’m excited to start hearing reports about how things are developing and how the new guys are looking. This is one of the most interesting offseasons in a while because of all if the newcomers to the roster.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Real Life Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: The hopefully definitive offseason thread

Post by aggies22 » May 18th, 2021, 6:42 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 11:51 pm
Well, the hopefully definitive transfer portal thread was a rousing success, so prepare yourselves for the sequel — the hopefully definitive offseason thread. Feel free to use this thread for updates on player arrivals, summer workouts, ratball reports, schedule updates, etc.

I’ll start with a couple of questions:

(1) when are players supposed to report back for summer workouts?
(2) when do we usually start hearing ratball reports?
(3) we usually don’t start hearing schedule updates until later in the summer, right? Hopefully we can find an MTE to participate in.

I’m excited to start hearing reports about how things are developing and how the new guys are looking. This is one of the most interesting offseasons in a while because of all if the newcomers to the roster.
I can help you with the first two questions.

1 - The players are all expected to report the first week of June. This includes the transfers and Zee Hamoda. The only one that might be up in the air is Thelissen.

2 - Rat ball usually starts taking place once the high school team and individual position camps begin.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » May 19th, 2021, 10:12 am

These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post:
Bank Shot

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 21st, 2021, 3:36 am

Here’s a recent interview with RJ Eytle-Rock that YouTube suggested for me. The kid interviewing him is very endearing, and there’s some discussion about him choosing USU as his transfer destination. Seems excited about the Spectrum and challenging himself against a higher level of competition.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 5):
slcaggAggieArmyReal Life AggieWinkieHakeemMyDream

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 21st, 2021, 5:44 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 3:36 am

Here’s a recent interview with RJ Eytle-Rock that YouTube suggested for me. The kid interviewing him is very endearing, and there’s some discussion about him choosing USU as his transfer destination. Seems excited about the Spectrum and challenging himself against a higher level of competition.
Dude this is impressive middle of the night posting.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 21st, 2021, 7:32 am

slcagg wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 5:44 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Insomnia-induced YouTube binging.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 21st, 2021, 8:05 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 7:32 am
slcagg wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 5:44 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Insomnia-induced YouTube binging.
Get some sleep my friend!

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 21st, 2021, 9:19 am

Thanks for sharing the vid! The kid is quite endearing. I'm curious for everyone's thoughts on the following:

1) Which of the new players is everyone most excited to watch this season?
- For me it's RJ. He's not real flashy but is smooth and level headed and his game reminds me a bit of VanVleet, who I love to watch.

2) Which of the new players will have the biggest immediate impact?
- I think Rylan is a true PG and will be able to facilitate a better offense for us. He may not put up huge scoring numbers but his presence and playmaking will do wonders for us.

3) Which returning player will make the biggest leap forward (improvement) this season?
- I think probably Bairstow or Shulga. I would say Shulga but I think he'll be buried behind RJ a bit. If Bairstow can hold off Thelissen I could see him getting more minutes at wing and settling into a better suited role than the past.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
Winkie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 21st, 2021, 9:52 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 9:19 am
Thanks for sharing the vid! The kid is quite endearing. I'm curious for everyone's thoughts on the following:

1) Which of the new players is everyone most excited to watch this season?
- For me it's RJ. He's not real flashy but is smooth and level headed and his game reminds me a bit of VanVleet, who I love to watch.

2) Which of the new players will have the biggest immediate impact?
- I think Rylan is a true PG and will be able to facilitate a better offense for us. He may not put up huge scoring numbers but his presence and playmaking will do wonders for us.

3) Which returning player will make the biggest leap forward (improvement) this season?
- I think probably Bairstow or Shulga. I would say Shulga but I think he'll be buried behind RJ a bit. If Bairstow can hold off Thelissen I could see him getting more minutes at wing and settling into a better suited role than the past.
(1) I’m really excited about all of the new players. But I am most excited to see how RJ and Horvath translate to the Mountain West level. If they translate well, I think we can be really good. I’d go Thelissen next. I think he could crack the rotation given his age and skill level. But seeing how Jones rebounds from this year and seeing if Hamoda is the next Queta-like diamond in the rough will also be fun to see;

(2) because they are seniors, I think Horvath and Eytle-Rock will have the biggest contribution next year.

(3) I’m going with Shulga or Ashworth. I think they’ll have the most opportunity for PT. My dark horse is Zapala. I think he could play a bit of a bench scorer/enforcer role and could play a lot if he can make a leap.

Listening to RJ, he called next year his “senior year.” I kind of got the sense he will be a one year guy for us even though he can stay two if he wants.

We may have a lot of open scholarships next year with Horvath, Eytle-Rock, Bean, and Miller all possibly being done and the inevitable transfer or two. Hopefully some of the young guys impress this year!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 21st, 2021, 10:33 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

Heck yeah, RJ. The Spectrum IS jumping.

Winkie

Post by Winkie » May 21st, 2021, 10:41 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

The value of being in a respectable conference ..... the TV deal!
"...being able to compete, be on TV." Yes, I heard those words from this recruit.
These users thanked the author Winkie for the post:
slcagg

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 21st, 2021, 11:38 am

Thanks for sharing the interview. I'll be honest, the kid interviewing him is obviously not polished, but his questions were on point! It was a better interview than a lot of ones I've seen from polished news media people. I wouldn't mind seeing him interview some of our other players.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieAggieFBObsessionIdaAg93

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 21st, 2021, 12:16 pm

I thought that too...the kid was sincerely interested and prepared. Refreshing!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 21st, 2021, 12:25 pm

treesap32 wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 11:38 am
Thanks for sharing the interview. I'll be honest, the kid interviewing him is obviously not polished, but his questions were on point! It was a better interview than a lot of ones I've seen from polished news media people. I wouldn't mind seeing him interview some of our other players.
Not too bad for a little kid. It’s pretty gutsy to even put himself out there to interview these guys!
AggieFBObsession

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 21st, 2021, 12:38 pm

My hat is off to RJ for that interview. He was very patient and engaging with the kid and seems like a pleasant person. It would have been so easy for him to give short, canned answers just to get the interview over with. He took the time to have a conversation with the kid, and I respect that. Looking forward to watching RJ play.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggie3rdGenAggieAggieFBObsession

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 21st, 2021, 12:44 pm

It's good to know there are good men like you guys in the world. As for myself? I found an overwhelming desire build up in me to want to punch that kid in the face after about the third time he parroted the answer back to RJ.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 12:44 pm
It's good to know there are good men like you guys in the world. As for myself? I found an overwhelming desire build up in me to want to punch that kid in the face after about the third time he parroted the answer back to RJ.
Lol.

There was shades of this, not gonna lie. But the kid got some good questions in and good answers out of him!

But yeah, RJ seems like a good guy.
osuaggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm

Aglicious wrote:
:) Yes, that was a clear tactic that he employed after every answer. I'm guessing it was intentional. But given his age, I thought he did a good job with the questions.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
IdaAg93

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm

treesap32 wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm
Aglicious wrote:
:) Yes, that was a clear tactic that he employed after every answer. I'm guessing it was intentional. But given his age, I thought he did a good job with the questions.
Also, pretty ballsy for a 12 year old to reach out to a college player and ask for an interview. While I can understand Aglicious now that he mentions it, I mostly found the interview endearing.

Respect for RJ... he was nice and thoughtful. He could have felt or acted like he was above interviewing with this kid, but he was really kind and responsive.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 7th, 2021, 12:41 pm

There’s a zero percent chance UNLV finishes higher than us, but hard to argue too much with the rest.

I’d probably slot CSU over Nevada considering they were better last year and return their whole team. :noidea:.

I’d probably slot SDSU over Nevada too. I think either us or Nevada finishes 3rd. Sorry spuds, I don’t like your team as much as everyone else. :lol: But you can make a case for his list here except for UNLV.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 7th, 2021, 2:04 pm

You never have to apologize to me..Summer is the time for optimism and we are all just guessing anyway..Including Sean Paul.

I would have SDSU as the clear favorite for my unscientific guess..

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » June 7th, 2021, 4:30 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 12:41 pm

There’s a zero percent chance UNLV finishes higher than us, but hard to argue too much with the rest.

I’d probably slot CSU over Nevada considering they were better last year and return their whole team. :noidea:.

I’d probably slot SDSU over Nevada too. I think either us or Nevada finishes 3rd. Sorry spuds, I don’t like your team as much as everyone else. :lol: But you can make a case for his list here except for UNLV.
New Mexico taking this season off?

Nobody here knows anything.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 7th, 2021, 4:57 pm

OKAggie wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 4:30 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 12:41 pm

New Mexico taking this season off?
You'll have to forgive Sean Paul. He got the am/pm buttons mixed on his alarm clock and woke up late and in a rush when he put this together.

Eutaw St. Aggie

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 7th, 2021, 5:20 pm

So..What are you guys thinking are reasons for optimism and what are your question marks?

t_creer54

Post by t_creer54 » June 7th, 2021, 6:42 pm

nvspuds wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 5:20 pm
So..What are you guys thinking are reasons for optimism and what are your question marks?
I’ll take a crack at this.

Reasons for optimism:

New coaching staff knows how to win. Ryan Odom and has staff had great success at UMBC, including the historic 16/1 upset over Virginia.

Transfers. With the additions of RJ Eytle-Rock and Brandon Horvath from UMBC, these are 2 guys with lots of experience at the D-1 level. Both should fit in nicely having played under coach Odom for most (if not all) of their collegiate careers. Rylan Jones and Norbert Theilessen are 2 new guys from another in state school that are very talented and should play at a high level in the MW conference.

Returning guys. Justin Bean, Brock Miller, and Steven Ashworth all return. Miller and Bean will both be seniors and Ashworth got some good experience last year. Bean should be an all conference caliber player this season and hopefully Brock Miller can get healthy and play like he was before the end of this season.

Now, a few questions that need to be asked:

Can we shoot the basketball at an efficient rate? It feels like that has been one of our biggest weaknesses these last few years. We have guys that on paper can shoot, but we’ll see if it translates on the court.

Will the new guys and returners mesh under the new staff? There are a lot of new pieces in the program. If coach Odom and his staff can fit them together, we could be really good next season.

How will we do now that the Queta/Merrill era is over? I know that Sam Merrill left a year ago, and Nemi played phenomenally last season without Merrill. How will we play without the leadership and talent of those 2? Hopefully Nemi gets drafted in a couple of months from now.

How good will other teams be? Schools like UNLV and UNM have undergone coaching changes as well but seem to be bringing in new talent as well. SDSU, CSU, and Nevada will all be really good next year. We’ll have to see how these schools continue to do in the off-season. It’s tough to judge until games are actually played in November.

Hope I didn’t miss anything obvious here 😅
These users thanked the author t_creer54 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Winkie

"Life's short, stunt it!" - Rod Kimble

Go Aggies!

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 7th, 2021, 7:15 pm

NV reasons for optimism. The Pack returns 8 guys including the 5 starters from last season. Sherfield and Cambridge are really good.

Washington has emerged as a very solid big and Hymes and Will Baker provide plenty of depth. Coleman was coming on at the end of the season and should be in line for a significant sophomore jump. Foster is a versatile player who will, at times, be a 1, 2, 3 and 4..

The team is not so young anymore..2 frosh and 4 sophs..7 upper classmen.

questions to be answered..

NV lost 3 guys to transfer..Meeks, Millings and Robinson. They have been replaced by AJ Bramah, Kenan Blackshear and Baker.

How those guys blend in will be very important as the 3 who left played a lot.

Bramah might be the key. He is a completely different player than Meeks. He is a slasher on offense, who does not shoot 3's at all. Still, he put up 21 and 10 at Robert Morris and he is reportedly a very good defender. He also gets to the line a lot and makes his free throws at a good clip He is very athletic. Meeks was somewhat limited by bad knees..I think Bramah will be the starting 4 and play a lot of minutes.

Baker, is a project..I am not sure how Alford will utilize him..He is tall, has good hands and excellent footwork.. If Alford can polish up his game, look out.

Blackshear is another slasher who doesn't shoot a lot of 3's but can knock one down at an okay clip. Another really bouncy guy. Millings was a solid 3 point shooter and pretty versatile.

2 sophs who did not transfer even though they didn't get much run as frosh are Husseinovic and Henry. I think Henry is my choice to surprise this season..

The two freshmen, Nick Davidson and Jalen Weaver look very promising.

The team is long and athletic and is deep with experienced players..They should certainly be improved but youneverknow...

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 7th, 2021, 7:59 pm

Is Blackshear any relation to the Blackshear that played at VaTech and Florida a few years back?

Eutaw St. Aggie

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 7th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Younger brother..

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 7th, 2021, 10:03 pm

nvspuds wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 7:15 pm
NV reasons for optimism. The Pack returns 8 guys including the 5 starters from last season. Sherfield and Cambridge are really good.

Washington has emerged as a very solid big and Hymes and Will Baker provide plenty of depth. Coleman was coming on at the end of the season and should be in line for a significant sophomore jump. Foster is a versatile player who will, at times, be a 1, 2, 3 and 4..

The team is not so young anymore..2 frosh and 4 sophs..7 upper classmen.

questions to be answered..

NV lost 3 guys to transfer..Meeks, Millings and Robinson. They have been replaced by AJ Bramah, Kenan Blackshear and Baker.

How those guys blend in will be very important as the 3 who left played a lot.

Bramah might be the key. He is a completely different player than Meeks. He is a slasher on offense, who does not shoot 3's at all. Still, he put up 21 and 10 at Robert Morris and he is reportedly a very good defender. He also gets to the line a lot and makes his free throws at a good clip He is very athletic. Meeks was somewhat limited by bad knees..I think Bramah will be the starting 4 and play a lot of minutes.

Baker, is a project..I am not sure how Alford will utilize him..He is tall, has good hands and excellent footwork.. If Alford can polish up his game, look out.

Blackshear is another slasher who doesn't shoot a lot of 3's but can knock one down at an okay clip. Another really bouncy guy. Millings was a solid 3 point shooter and pretty versatile.

2 sophs who did not transfer even though they didn't get much run as frosh are Husseinovic and Henry. I think Henry is my choice to surprise this season..

The two freshmen, Nick Davidson and Jalen Weaver look very promising.

The team is long and athletic and is deep with experienced players..They should certainly be improved but youneverknow...
Don’t know about the others, but I’d lower your expectations for Will Baker. I’d be surprised if he played a key role at all for you guys.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 7th, 2021, 10:23 pm

I have no particular expectations one way or the other..I know Alford was very excited to get him..He tried to get him at UCLA.. He is in a good position because he can take some time to develop as the Pack has 2 other bigs in Washington and Hymes. Both of them struggled mightily as freshmen but it is not unusual for big guys to start slow..

Winkie

Post by Winkie » June 8th, 2021, 12:19 pm

.....I appreciate the respectful interactions!! Any "lurkers" on this fan board with a report on what SDSU expects next season? Maybe CSU?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 8th, 2021, 12:29 pm

Nevada could be sneaky good this season. They match up athletically with SDSU. If Blackshear is even close to the player his brother was at VaTech and Florida, that is huge for the Pack. I like Washington and Hymes in the post. Cambridge and Sherfield are both all-conference candidates. This is going to be tough team for anyone to defend. If they can shoot at all from outside (and not just rely on attacking the basket), they will be scary good.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » June 8th, 2021, 9:03 pm

:stirpot:

Colorado State
Nevada
San Diego State
Boise
New Mexico
UNLV
Utah State
Fresno
Wyoming
SJSU
Air Force

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 9th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Chris Murray checks in with his thoughts..

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/report ... r-rankings
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 3):
Bank Shotbrossp24Real Life Aggie

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 9th, 2021, 6:20 pm

nvspuds wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 5:48 pm
Chris Murray checks in with his thoughts..

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/report ... r-rankings
At this point, I think he's a heck of a lot closer than Sean Paul.

Locked Previous topicNext topic