Recruiting for 2022.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Recruiting for 2022.

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 8th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Chandler has ALWAYS been a huge Doterra customer and couldn’t be more honored to represent their brand this upcoming season.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 1:24 pm
I thought they had rules against using NIL for recruiting or the University being involved in the NIL deals.

I think the NIL deals are probably a good thing, but there should be some better guidelines. This is getting out of hand.

Let the athletes get in campus before being contacted for NIL. And don't let the universities be involved to use them to recruit.
I have a good friend who is very well versed in the ins-and-outs of the NIL. He has told me that schools can and will negotiate these deals on behalf of their students athletes and will very likely begin to include them in a package when the kid signs his LOI.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » November 8th, 2021, 2:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
I thought they had rules against using NIL for recruiting or the University being involved in the NIL deals.

I think the NIL deals are probably a good thing, but there should be some better guidelines. This is getting out of hand.

Let the athletes get in campus before being contacted for NIL. And don't let the universities be involved to use them to recruit.
I have a good friend who is very well versed in the ins-and-outs of the NIL. He has told me that schools can and will negotiate these deals on behalf of their students athletes and will very likely begin to include them in a package when the kid signs his LOI.
Oh no doubt. Recruiting will now come down to whom is setting up the most NIL money for most of these athletes. And like @Aggie84025 pointed out there is a ton of donors with dough from the Y that live and die by Cougar athletics and they will be a major player.

No doubt UofU has their fair share of wealthy donors and the real holy war may now heat up between the donor groups of these schools and who is willing to fork over the most money

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 8th, 2021, 2:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Not good. Going. How can we compete against a team with a little more money. Then how can those schools compete with teams with a little more money.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 8th, 2021, 3:00 pm

slcagg wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 2:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Not good. Going. How can we compete against a team with a little more money. Then how can those schools compete with teams with a little more money.
My friend predicts it will be the beginning of the end for college football and hoops.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 8th, 2021, 3:02 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 2:33 pm
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Oh no doubt. Recruiting will now come down to whom is setting up the most NIL money for most of these athletes. And like @Aggie84025 pointed out there is a ton of donors with dough from the Y that live and die by Cougar athletics and they will be a major player.

No doubt UofU has their fair share of wealthy donors and the real holy war may now heat up between the donor groups of these schools and who is willing to fork over the most money
Don't you mean a holier than thou war?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
SpectrumMagic

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 8th, 2021, 3:08 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 3:00 pm
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

My friend predicts it will be the beginning of the end for college football and hoops.
Honestly, not sure how it won't be, it's sad It's pro sports without a salary cap. Seems far fetched, I know, for a small school like USU it is. But think about a school like byu-p with all the alumni and devout LDS members "obligated" to support the LDS school. I think the byu-p donors desire to fit in with the big boys will have them paying top dollar to all their athletes. Not sure how they get around the honor code, but money to players is how they get around everything else wrong with their institution and will allow them to compete. I wonder how badly someone like the new jazz owner wants byu-p to win? I don't think we have any donors like that.

Go Aggies!

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » November 8th, 2021, 3:17 pm

BYU will end with a mess. Tons of over leveraged MLM's will offer NIL and end up not paying the athletes.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
aggies22

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 8th, 2021, 3:20 pm

I think when everything is said and done, the advantage will be no bigger than it already was. Time will tell, but there are many factors that could lead to problems for these schools throwing money at recruits.

And really, are we at much more of a disadvantage?we are still competing with Nevada and UNM for recruits most the time, and we’re doing fine with those recruits.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 8th, 2021, 3:38 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:

Schools scoff at your "rules". There is a zero percent chance that there is a single school that will not use NLI in recruiting. The emails and communications will never come from an official university source, but beyond that it'll happen ALL THE TIME.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 8th, 2021, 3:42 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 3:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Honestly, not sure how it won't be, it's sad It's pro sports without a salary cap. Seems far fetched, I know, for a small school like USU it is. But think about a school like byu-p with all the alumni and devout LDS members "obligated" to support the LDS school. I think the byu-p donors desire to fit in with the big boys will have them paying top dollar to all their athletes. Not sure how they get around the honor code, but money to players is how they get around everything else wrong with their institution and will allow them to compete. I wonder how badly someone like the new jazz owner wants byu-p to win? I don't think we have any donors like that.
Ryan Smith has said publicly that he cares about 4 things in life: his family, his religion, the Jazz, and BYU athletics. He has and will continue to pump A LOT of money into BYU sports. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he has donated an amount equal to or greater than our entire athletic budget to BYU.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 8th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 3:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

There's already been a BYU-provo donor step up and offer the equivalent of full ride scholarships in NIL payments to all preferred walkons in the BYU football program to be "ambassadors" for his business. That essentially gives BYU unlimited scholarship offers to extend.

I'm anxious to see the billboards in Provo with 35 big hulking walkons promoting the latest and greatest pyramid scheme.

And as far as how to get around the honor code, they just don't apply it to their athletes. It's only meant for regular students who get tattled on by their holier than thou classmates.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 8th, 2021, 5:45 pm

aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

College athletics, at least at the "elite" level (P5?) will just become semi-pro, and is already in essence. Sure takes the fun out of the whole thing.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » November 8th, 2021, 7:09 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 3:02 pm
SpectrumMagic wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 2:33 pm
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Don't you mean a holier than thou war?
Lol yes

Or a war of who has more class 😂

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 8th, 2021, 8:52 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 5:45 pm
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

College athletics, at least at the "elite" level (P5?) will just become semi-pro, and is already in essence. Sure takes the fun out of the whole thing.
It will just bring it out of the shadows. There was an article a couple of years ago, can't remember what magazine, with a title something like "Confessions of an SEC Bag Man". Unofficial alumni networks operating without the knowledge of the university administration or the athletic department (nudge nudge, wink wink) were handing tens of thousands of dollars out to recruits and varsity athletes. Every SEC school had its network. A lot of these guys actually know each other. It's like legalizing drugs. It wasn't going to go away anyway. At least by bringing it out into the open, there is some hope of regulating it to some degree. That doesn't make it good, and it doesn't mean that this won't generate a whole slew of new and bigger problems.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 8th, 2021, 8:53 pm

LKGates wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 8:52 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

It will just bring it out of the shadows. There was an article a couple of years ago, can't remember what magazine, with a title something like "Confessions of an SEC Bag Man". It was an interview with an anonymous source who was the delivery man for payoffs to athletes for one of the SEC schools. Unofficial alumni networks operating without the knowledge of the university administration or the athletic department (nudge nudge, wink wink) were handing tens of thousands of dollars out to recruits and varsity athletes. Every SEC school had its network. A lot of these guys actually know each other. It's like legalizing drugs. It wasn't going to go away anyway. At least by bringing it out into the open, there is some hope of regulating it to some degree. That doesn't make it good, and it doesn't mean that this won't generate a whole slew of new and bigger problems.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » November 8th, 2021, 10:31 pm

Yeah paying the athletes is nothing new...just public now

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » November 9th, 2021, 7:53 am

Here’s the one thing that gives me hope. Each team does ultimately only have so many spots to give. There are plenty of fantastic athletes in the nation, and many that want to play the sport because they love it and get a good education on the way. They are going to be hard working and appreciative of the opportunities they have, instead of being divas worried about their next paycheck and deal.

I’m not saying this isn’t going to suck and make college sports less fun to follow, what I’m saying is I don’t think the little guys are completely out of competition because of it. There are TONS of talented athletes, so USU needs to find the right ones who fit in Logan. We’re in a good place with decent support as well, so we won’t have nothing to offer (but undeniably less than the 2 schools down south). I do wish there was a cap though.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » November 9th, 2021, 8:07 am

I would not say you are a small school at all. You have a competitive athletic budget in your conference..I think you will still get good recruits and be fine.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 9th, 2021, 1:01 pm

nvspuds wrote:
November 9th, 2021, 8:07 am
I would not say you are a small school at all. You have a competitive athletic budget in your conference..I think you will still get good recruits and be fine.
USU has always performed well above its paygrade. Keep being superior at finding/developing undervalued talent and outcoaching the competition and we'll continue to be competitive.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 9th, 2021, 1:05 pm

LKGates wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 8:52 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

It will just bring it out of the shadows. There was an article a couple of years ago, can't remember what magazine, with a title something like "Confessions of an SEC Bag Man". Unofficial alumni networks operating without the knowledge of the university administration or the athletic department (nudge nudge, wink wink) were handing tens of thousands of dollars out to recruits and varsity athletes. Every SEC school had its network. A lot of these guys actually know each other. It's like legalizing drugs. It wasn't going to go away anyway. At least by bringing it out into the open, there is some hope of regulating it to some degree. That doesn't make it good, and it doesn't mean that this won't generate a whole slew of new and bigger problems.
I remember that article.

bpd

Post by bpd » November 9th, 2021, 1:12 pm

Anyway, back to USU recruiting, it appears we are interested in Elijiah Price a small forward out of California.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 9th, 2021, 5:33 pm

Right now - I wouldn't care if our recruits going forward were one of two types of players:

1) The Justin Bean, Brennan Ray, Eric Franson type that can score in the post, play physical, and most importantly - rebound;
2) Guys that can shoot - guys of all sizes 5'9" -- 7'0", doesn't matter. A good mix of heights would be preferable, but the most important trait that they have is the ability to shoot the 3 at 40% or higher clip against mid-major college defenders.

That's all we need. They can be taught everything else. You can't teach shooting proficiency and you can't teach toughness and rebounding. Either you have those skills or you don't.

Eutaw St. Aggie

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » November 9th, 2021, 5:50 pm

Exactly. It’s not like we are getting top recruits or ever really have, so we just need to keep doing what we’ve done. Find and develop talent, play harder than the divas.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 9th, 2021, 6:11 pm

bpd wrote:
November 9th, 2021, 1:12 pm
Anyway, back to USU recruiting, it appears we are interested in Elijiah Price a small forward out of California.
This guy?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 10th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Chandler committed to BYU. I hate BYU, but Pope is doing a stand up job down there. He probably has a hug NLI MLM partnership all lined up.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 10th, 2021, 4:35 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 2:43 pm
Chandler committed to BYU. I hate BYU, but Pope is doing a stand up job down there. He probably has a hug NLI MLM partnership all lined up.
Him landing an NIL deal is the ONLY reason he is ending up in pwovo.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 10th, 2021, 6:16 pm

NIL is God’s gift to BYU sports.

Cougargradaggiefan

Post by Cougargradaggiefan » January 17th, 2022, 9:46 pm

Here is a kid who loves Utah State basketball (and football). In fact USU would be his first choice over any other school. Yes, undersized, but a really good player having a great senior season so far. I might know him..;)

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 18th, 2022, 9:45 am

Cougargradaggiefan wrote:
January 17th, 2022, 9:46 pm
Here is a kid who loves Utah State basketball (and football). In fact USU would be his first choice over any other school. Yes, undersized, but a really good player having a great senior season so far. I might know him..;)

How well does this kid shoot? I found a could of sites that detail how many shots he made, but not how many he took.

Aggies All the Way!

Cougargradaggiefan

Post by Cougargradaggiefan » January 18th, 2022, 11:23 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 9:45 am

How well does this kid shoot? I found a could of sites that detail how many shots he made, but not how many he took.
Good shooter. Probably around 38-40% from three. More of a true point guard with a pass first mentality but on Skyridge this year he has had to take on more of the scoring at 19 points per game but still averaging 7 assists.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 18th, 2022, 11:49 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 4:35 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Whatever he's doing, they have owned USU for the last, what, decade?

Eutaw St. Aggie

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 18th, 2022, 11:59 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 10th, 2021, 4:35 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
But wait, I thought pay for play was not allowed :headscratch: :puke: :sarcasm:
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
aggies22

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Chatman

Post by Chatman » January 19th, 2022, 1:32 pm

January 18th, 2022, 11:23 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 9:45 am

Good shooter. Probably around 38-40% from three. More of a true point guard with a pass first mentality but on Skyridge this year he has had to take on more of the scoring at 19 points per game but still averaging 7 assists.
I saw this post on Twitter. Your boy ? . Looks like he is having a great year. Possible PWO candidate? Mission kid?

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 19th, 2022, 4:21 pm

I thought we were looking at CSI and SLCC for recruits….at least CSI. Did they dry up?

Locked Previous topicNext topic