Team production

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
browntown

Team production

Post by browntown » September 1st, 2021, 1:18 pm

Hey all, just starting to see stuff on Social media about the team being back in the gym and it got me thinking about the upcoming season and how the team will play. I’m beginning to wonder how the team will be balanced in terms of offensive/defensive production?

I think Bean will be the biggest producer overall with his energy and hustle on both ends. After him who else will be contributing? Rylan Jones has showed a lot of promise and hopefully could be really great this year. Is he our main offensive weapon or do guys like Horvath and Eytle-Rock come in and carry us offensively? Any returning players like Brock or Ashworth or Bairstow that increase their roles?

In my opinion this team has good players, and I am hoping collectively they can all work together to win as a team. I don’t think we have a player as talented as Sam or Queta were for us, but I feel like our starting 5 as a whole is comparable to the teams we had under Coach Smith.

Here’s my guess of the top contributors on the team this year:

1. Bean
2. Rylan Jones
3. Eytle-Rock
4. Horvath
5. Bairstow
6. Brock Miller
7. Ashworth
8. Dorius
9. Shulga

ineptimusprime

Re: Team production

Post by ineptimusprime » September 1st, 2021, 8:36 pm

Just gauging by highlights and how old he is, I have a sneaking suspicion Norbert Thelissen is going to end up quite high on your list.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 5):
slcaggRoy McAvoyReal Life Aggieaggies22BLUERUFiO

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » September 3rd, 2021, 1:06 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 8:36 pm
Just gauging by highlights and how old he is, I have a sneaking suspicion Norbert Thelissen is going to end up quite high on your list.
Agree 100% with this. Him and Max will be pushing for mins.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » September 15th, 2021, 9:43 pm

Are we overlooking Conner Gillis and Connor Odom? :joking: I just noticed these guys on the roster along with Quinn Taylor as a Graduate Manager. Quinn's bio mentions him signing a professional contract in Latina Italy but later being medically disqualified. Cool that he is back in Logan and with the Aggies.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 16th, 2021, 6:08 am

Pacobag wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 9:43 pm
Are we overlooking Conner Gillis and Connor Odom? :joking: I just noticed these guys on the roster along with Quinn Taylor as a Graduate Manager. Quinn's bio mentions him signing a professional contract in Latina Italy but later being medically disqualified. Cool that he is back in Logan and with the Aggies.
You know... with the history we have had with walk-ons you may be right.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 16th, 2021, 12:32 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 6:08 am
Pacobag wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 9:43 pm
You know... with the history we have had with walk-ons you may be right.
Wow, we have a pretty full roster with 13 on scholarship and 5 walk-ons. Lots of bodies for scout team. Who knows if Conner and Connor will eventually make any contribution beyond the scout team, but if I had to wager on a walk-on with potential to even see the court someday it'd likely be Brenchley .....or possibly Wagstaff.

coolag

Post by coolag » September 16th, 2021, 5:22 pm

With Zapala's "NBA potential" I see no reason why he isn't #1 on your list. Bank on it. The bald traitor said so.

Regulator of Class

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 20th, 2021, 2:09 pm

coolag wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 5:22 pm
With Zapala's "NBA potential" I see no reason why he isn't #1 on your list. Bank on it. The bald traitor said so.
My sarcasmometer is going off for sure here, but I will say that I haven't given up on Big Z. I still think the kid has a ton of potential.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » September 20th, 2021, 7:47 pm

My feeling like last year that we can replace Merrill and Queta with the overall team effort. Anthony and Worster were overall the worst offensive players on the team last year by far which is why our team struggled when Brock Miller got injured. I feel that Rylan Jones, year 2 Ashworth, Miller, Eytle-Rock, year 2 Shulga, Bairstow, Zee, and the local walk-on will be pick up the slack much more than expected. I made wild predictions, and I hope my Shulga would replace Anthony comment and be a starter would outdo my Bean prediction and Brito prediction.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 20th, 2021, 8:39 pm

SLB wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 7:47 pm
My feeling like last year that we can replace Merrill and Queta with the overall team effort. Anthony and Worster were overall the worst offensive players on the team last year by far which is why our team struggled when Brock Miller got injured. I feel that Rylan Jones, year 2 Ashworth, Miller, Eytle-Rock, year 2 Shulga, Bairstow, Zee, and the local walk-on will be pick up the slack much more than expected. I made wild predictions, and I hope my Shulga would replace Anthony comment and be a starter would outdo my Bean prediction and Brito prediction.
I don't know how you could type that with a straight face.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 20th, 2021, 9:19 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 8:39 pm
SLB wrote:
You combine their stats you get basically 59.6 minutes per game 19.1 points per game 7.6 rebounds per game 6.6 Assists per game 4.5 TOs 41% from the field 30.8 % on 3s 68% FT. What I put in bold led to countless TOs and defenses let Worster and Anthony have wide open 3s all day long. Defense with some nice assists were their thing, but Craig Smith always designed plays that got assists especially from point. Queta had 2.7 assists per game (from the center position), and Ashworth the backup PG that played 19 minutes per game got 2.6 assists per game.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » September 20th, 2021, 10:03 pm

I’m not anticipating Zee or the local walkon to get consequential minutes this season. I’ll be surprised if Shulga or Bairstow gets more than 15 minutes per game.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 20th, 2021, 10:43 pm

Pacobag wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:03 pm
I’m not anticipating Zee or the local walkon to get consequential minutes this season. I’ll be surprised if Shulga or Bairstow gets more than 15 minutes per game.
I say wait and see. A lot of basketball will decide minutes and production.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 21st, 2021, 11:46 am

Zee definitely seems primed for a redshirt year, but I thought Queta would need a redshirt year too and we saw how that turned out.

I'm curious to see how Potter does. Do people think he'll redshirt?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

SLB

Post by SLB » September 21st, 2021, 12:30 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 11:46 am
Zee definitely seems primed for a redshirt year, but I thought Queta would need a redshirt year too and we saw how that turned out.

I'm curious to see how Potter does. Do people think he'll redshirt?
It is a wait and see deal. Potter and Zee seemed to be good players to add to this team.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
3rdGenAggie

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » September 21st, 2021, 4:26 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
I actually agree regarding the lackluster offense by Worster and Anthony. Both are gamers and valuable, but efficient offense was not their strongest trait. Anybody can throw up a shot. Although I think Wordter may improve with experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SSaggie for the post:
SLB

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 21st, 2021, 5:23 pm

SSaggie wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 4:26 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
I actually agree regarding the lackluster offense by Worster and Anthony. Both are gamers and valuable, but efficient offense was not their strongest trait. Anybody can throw up a shot. Although I think Wordter may improve with experience.

They may not have been the most consistent, but more often than not, one of those two carried us in a game.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 21st, 2021, 7:09 pm

SSaggie wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 4:26 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Both are gamers, had clutch shots, and provided good defense, but the overall offense was lackluster at best with here and there good games. Miller being basically the only scoring guard was a thing, and Miller was doing solid job with his 43.5 % from 3 then that back injury. Miller's injury was the difference in winning or losing the MWC since he was the only shooting guard.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 22nd, 2021, 4:26 pm

SLB wrote:
**clears throat** ... whispers "Horvath"

carry on.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 23rd, 2021, 7:11 pm

As far as injury news goes, my son said he came across Trevin Dorius in a boot limping across campus today. I know boots are commonly used these days, even for the most minor lower leg injury, so hopefully it's nothing major. Any other players have set backs.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 23rd, 2021, 8:44 pm

Miller driving around in a new gold/tan Land Rover. Uglier than a G-Wagon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 23rd, 2021, 9:29 pm

Any of you schmucks hearing anything about who’s good?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 24th, 2021, 12:11 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 8:44 pm

Uglier than a G Wagon... that's most cars on the road, fam. If you said uglier than a PT Cruiser, that'd be impressive.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » September 24th, 2021, 9:17 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 8:44 pm

His NIL must be going better than Bean's Burritos. :joking:

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 24th, 2021, 5:51 pm

TheAKAggie wrote: