Who is our greatest mid-major rival

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Who is our greatest mid-major rival

Post by Dwigt » November 9th, 2010, 8:34 am

Kyle Whelliston says that UC-Irvine is a "great rival" for us. http://www.midmajority.com/p/1786
Who would you say is a great mid-major rival. (Remember if we use the Mid-Majority's standard, teams in the Mountain West don't count)

My votes:
In Conference: Nevada, NMSU, Boise St (anyone remember the "Daddy's Boy" chant to Coby Karl a few years back?")
OOC: Weber St.
Who I'd like to see as rivals: St. Mary's, Wichita St, N. Iowa (all because they are good teams that are relatively close to us)
Last edited by Dwigt on November 9th, 2010, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

Mr. Sneelock

Re: Who is our greatest mid-major rival

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 9th, 2010, 8:39 am

New Mexico State or Nevada. Before we got into the WAC, I would say Irvine or Pacific.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » November 9th, 2010, 8:42 am

It should be noted that post was written in 2004. Obviously, there isn't any kind of rivalry between USU and UCI right now. The mere mention of the name Jerry Green still makes my blood boil, but in the grand scheme of things the USU/UCI rivalry is now a footnote.

So if we're exempting BYU and Utah I would have to go with NMSU. Nevada and to a lesser extent Weber also crossed my mind, but there's something about the southern Aggies for me--And it's not just our buddy Frank.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » November 9th, 2010, 8:55 am

MarioWest wrote:It should be noted that post was written in 2004. .
Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to mention it. After reading it I just got curious. I may have to add who would you like to have a rivalry with.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 9th, 2010, 9:00 am

MarioWest wrote:It should be noted that post was written in 2004. Obviously, there isn't any kind of rivalry between USU and UCI right now. The mere mention of the name Jerry Green still makes my blood boil, but in the grand scheme of things the USU/UCI rivalry is now a footnote.

So if we're exempting BYU and Utah I would have to go with NMSU. Nevada and to a lesser extent Weber also crossed my mind, but there's something about the southern Aggies for me--And it's not just our buddy Frank.
I would say NMSU as well. It's been a fun rivalry over the last few years with Reggie, His Troyness, Wen's Day, all the ammunition we got from their various and repeated the run ins with the law, and the fact that they've competed with us better than any other team in has over that span of time. It's been really fun IMO.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 9th, 2010, 9:11 am

NMSU would be my thinking as well. They are so similar to us yet so different from us.

We are both in the same boat and have been for a long time, yet their hoops team follows the complete opposite road than our hoops team.

ericsil7

Post by ericsil7 » November 9th, 2010, 11:12 am

I'd have to say NMSU as well, they've had some success against us recently and they are like our evil twin. They're program is ran exactly opposite of us. We run a tight disciplined team system, theres is a free flowing, isolation, individual system. We have brought in solid representatives of our University (except DiLo), them not so much (however it it improving)

Locked Previous topicNext topic