Depth chart

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Depth chart

Post by SLB » September 30th, 2021, 6:35 pm

What is the depth chart?
Bean is only one certain of being a starter, but I suspect the rest is up in the air. I got to figure Jones, Eytle-Rock, Miller, Dorius, Ashworth, and Horvath are getting minutes. The rest is unknow.

Aggie19

Re: Depth chart

Post by Aggie19 » September 30th, 2021, 6:52 pm

SLB wrote:
September 30th, 2021, 6:35 pm
What is the depth chart?
Bean is only one certain of being a starter, but I suspect the rest is up in the air. I got to figure Jones, Eytle-Rock, Miller, Dorius, Ashworth, and Horvath are getting minutes. The rest is unknow.
I'd add at least Shulga and Bairstow to that list. IMO

Go Aggies!

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » September 30th, 2021, 7:33 pm

This seems like a reasonable take:
AggiesForever wrote:
September 8th, 2021, 3:05 pm
Norbert Theilssen is A 6-7, 215 forward who can play a variety of ways. He's pretty quick defensively and will not get beat off the dribble. He also appears to be a good and willing rebounder with a very nice shooting touch, but who loves to mix it up inside. With a year of European pro ball already under his belt, he will be a very good player for us this year.

I think you could easily see a line-up featuring 6-7 Justin Bean, 6-7 Norb Theilssen and 6-11 Brandon Horvath, all forwards, starting for the Aggies. Suprisingly, Theilssen would probably be your low post guy and Horvath more of a wing, outside shooter type. USU will run a motion offense, so it really won't matter too much if we have a true center on the floor or not.

From what I have observed, or been told by others who have also watched the basketball team a lot, your top ten players are (*= projected starters):

Sean Bairstow, SG-SF
Steven Ashworth PG
Brandon Horvath F*
RJ Eytle-Rock, SG-SF*
Max Shulga, SG
Rylan Jones PG*
Norbert Thelissen, F*
Brock Miller SG-SF
Trevin Dorius, C
Justin Bean, F*

A lot can happen between now and the first game. But this is what I'm hearing. You can see the entire roster at
https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/mens ... all/roster

This is going to be a really good team.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 30th, 2021, 7:41 pm

Pacobag wrote:
September 30th, 2021, 7:33 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
Norbert Theilssen is A 6-7, 215 forward who can play a variety of ways. He's pretty quick defensively and will not get beat off the dribble. He also appears to be a good and willing rebounder with a very nice shooting touch, but who loves to mix it up inside. With a year of European pro ball already under his belt, he will be a very good player for us this year.

I think you could easily see a line-up featuring 6-7 Justin Bean, 6-7 Norb Theilssen and 6-11 Brandon Horvath, all forwards, starting for the Aggies. Suprisingly, Theilssen would probably be your low post guy and Horvath more of a wing, outside shooter type. USU will run a motion offense, so it really won't matter too much if we have a true center on the floor or not.

From what I have observed, or been told by others who have also watched the basketball team a lot, your top ten players are (*= projected starters):

Sean Bairstow, SG-SF
Steven Ashworth PG
Brandon Horvath F*
RJ Eytle-Rock, SG-SF*
Max Shulga, SG
Rylan Jones PG*
Norbert Thelissen, F*
Brock Miller SG-SF
Trevin Dorius, C
Justin Bean, F*

A lot can happen between now and the first game. But this is what I'm hearing. You can see the entire roster at

An educated guess is still a guess. I am wondering what the real reports say about the depth chart.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » September 30th, 2021, 8:07 pm

SLB wrote:
September 30th, 2021, 7:41 pm
Pacobag wrote:
September 30th, 2021, 7:33 pm
AggiesForever wrote:

Sean Bairstow, SG-SF
Steven Ashworth PG
Brandon Horvath F*
RJ Eytle-Rock, SG-SF*
Max Shulga, SG
Rylan Jones PG*
Norbert Thelissen, F*
Brock Miller SG-SF
Trevin Dorius, C
Justin Bean, F*

An educated guess is still a guess. I am wondering what the real reports say about the depth chart.
True, but some of our posters speak to staff, players, and have seen many of them play. That is likely more “real” than some publications that just look at last year’s stats for returning players and do a brief write up but have never actually seen any of our players on the court. I’ve read “real” articles that project someone to be a major contributor, even though it was reported that person already left the team several weeks before the article was written.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » October 1st, 2021, 8:07 am

I am pumped to watch both Rylan and Norbert. I have high hopes for each of them

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » October 1st, 2021, 11:46 am

Here is what I've gathered so far. Miller is a question mark. He is healthy but I think they will use him with caution at the beginning of the year. Bairstow and Shugla are playing really well. I could see Max being the first guard off the bench. They will be big contributors. I still feel like if Szymon gets some good run at the beginning of the season by the end of the year he will be a solid contributor.

Brandon Horvath F ---Trevin Dorius C -------Szymon Zapała C
Justin Bean F ------------Sean Bairstow SF ---Cade Potter F
Norbert Thelissen F- Brock Miller SG --------Travis Wagstaff F
RJ Eytle-Rock G --------Max Shulga G ---------- Zee Homda G
Rylan Jones PG --------Steven Ashworth PG

This team is deep and will be fun to see what Coach can bring out of them.
These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » October 1st, 2021, 12:04 pm

NewUSUfan wrote:
October 1st, 2021, 11:46 am
Here is what I've gathered so far. Miller is a question mark. He is healthy but I think they will use him with caution at the beginning of the year. Bairstow and Shugla are playing really well. I could see Max being the first guard off the bench. They will be big contributors. I still feel like if Szymon gets some good run at the beginning of the season by the end of the year he will be a solid contributor.

Seems like every year our bench is deep... and then it's not really as deep as the hype played it out to be. Maybe this year will be different though.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
MrBiggle

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 1st, 2021, 12:19 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
October 1st, 2021, 12:04 pm
NewUSUfan wrote:

Seems like every year our bench is deep... and then it's not really as deep as the hype played it out to be. Maybe this year will be different though.
Well yeah, it's what fans do, right?

I've been hearing for years that Utah has tremendous talent at quarterback. That has only been true like once in the last 10 years.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » October 1st, 2021, 1:05 pm

I think Brock being relegated to a bench role bodes well for the overall ceiling of this team. He can and will be a valuable shooter off the bench, but Thelissen should make us much more versatile and tougher to defend.
These users thanked the author Aggiesbleedblue for the post:
3rdGenAggie

SLB

Post by SLB » October 1st, 2021, 5:26 pm

NewUSUfan wrote:

I like to say that I projected Sean Bairstow to be a forward last season. it seems another crazy prediction come true.
Shulga needs to start is next on my list. (this would suggest that it is possible :lol: )

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 3rd, 2021, 2:14 pm

NewUSUfan wrote:

Brandon Horvath C/PF ---Trevin Dorius C
Justin Bean PF
Norbert Thelissen SF- Brock Miller SF/SG
RJ Eytle-Rock G --------Max Shulga G -

Bairstow will be fighting for time at SG and SF, but I can't see him getting that much time. The Norbert Thelissen hype is interesting, because I didn't envision him getting a lot of minutes this year. If so, he'll push Bairstow out, unless Miller is hurt.

I don't see Zee getting much time this year either.

I'm bearish on this roster, unfortunately. It's solid, but I don't see how we're top 3 in the MWC. I am VERY excited to see RJ ER play, however.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
NewUSUfan

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 3rd, 2021, 3:08 pm

We have a lot of experience. I think having a true PG is going to open some eyes. Lacking a starter-level true post and elite athleticism. I think we’ll be Top 5 in the MW. Beyond that, no idea.

GUS

Post by GUS » October 3rd, 2021, 4:22 pm

If we find a more consistent 3 point shooter over the season, I could see them getting some of Miller's minutes. Unless that shooter is Jones or Ashworth. They will be playing a different position. I could see Bairstow or Norbert T. being that guy or even Shulga. Just depends on who blossoms in Odom's system.

AGGIEinIOWA

Depth chart

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 3rd, 2021, 5:45 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if Brock was the guy that filled that consistent 3pt role again. His percentage was quite good thru mid-Feb until his back issues flared up.
I’m hoping they limit his minutes a bit by playing Bairstow/Shulga/Norby more so Brock has something left in the tank down the stretch. His experience and leadership is valuable and when healthy he is a great deep threat. I do think Bairstow can fill Brock’s role in the future quite well though and also adds the threat to take it to the rim.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 3rd, 2021, 6:10 pm

Have people seen Norbert practice with USU? There seems to be a lot of hype with him, but was not sure it that is just anticipation or actual practice time. He was out all last year.

I am excited for this team. Basketball is a weird sport if the team gels and has good chemistry I think they will be really competitive in the MW.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 4th, 2021, 6:33 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 3rd, 2021, 6:10 pm
Have people seen Norbert practice with USU? There seems to be a lot of hype with him, but was not sure it that is just anticipation or actual practice time. He was out all last year.

I am excited for this team. Basketball is a weird sport if the team gels and has good chemistry I think they will be really competitive in the MW.
Norbert Thelissen will have more of a low post presence than most would have imagined.

SLB

Post by SLB » October 4th, 2021, 6:38 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 6:33 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
October 3rd, 2021, 6:10 pm

Norbert Thelissen will have more of a low post presence than most would have imagined.
Things like this is why started this thread. Odom's Aggies have never lost a game.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 4th, 2021, 8:59 am

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
October 1st, 2021, 1:05 pm
I think Brock being relegated to a bench role bodes well for the overall ceiling of this team. He can and will be a valuable shooter off the bench, but Thelissen should make us much more versatile and tougher to defend.
Coming off the bench should help save his back some beating, as well. Brock was really solid last year until his back wore out. Hopefully a bench role (assuming that's where he ends up) will keep him healthier all season.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 4th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Bairstow is going to surprise this season. He’s put in a ton of work and will be in a role where he can thrive. One of Smith’s few failures here at USU was his usage and treatment of Bairstow
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieOrangeCountyAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 4th, 2021, 2:56 pm

I am excited for the new and improved 3&D Bairstow. The kid is athletic and long enough to defend multiple positions, and can shoot it for sure.

Bairstow will benefit greatly from playing with Rylan Jones and RJ, I think.

Smith was using him like he is Kyrie Irving, and he should have been used like Royce O’Neale. He has the ability to impact the game positively on the defensive end and as basically a spot shooter on offense.

I think Bairstow will transform from a guy who can’t finish a fastbreak and a turnover machine to an advanced stats god. I’m here for it.

So excited to get the Odom era underway in less than a month!

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » October 4th, 2021, 3:39 pm

I know when Bairstow first arrived there was talk of him being a PG candidate, but I don't recall ever seeing him used as such. 2 years ago the PG spot was Porter, Sam or Brito. Last year it was Rollie, Anthony or Ashworth. Maybe he had a few minutes in a mop up role. His lack of usage was the fact that he had bad handles (A/TO ration of less than 1), and if that hasn't improved, then his usage will remain the same. I'm hoping for a vast improvement more from the standpoint that often times the light finally comes on in year 3 and the game slows down (ala Brito) more than just a coaching change. Kid has a nice stroke and is adequate defensively but TOs will drive any coach insane.

SG or SF, Bairstow was simply a wing and will remain one. I like the kid and I see potential and I really hope everyone's optimism shows up on the court. But he was losing minutes to Shulga towards the end last year and I'm actually more jacked about Max being a major contributor if he can shoot anywhere near Bairstow's %.

SLB

Post by SLB » October 4th, 2021, 5:39 pm

brian5562 wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 2:08 pm
Bairstow is going to surprise this season. He’s put in a ton of work and will be in a role where he can thrive. One of Smith’s few failures here at USU was his usage and treatment of Bairstow
I remember that I Bairstow looked like he should be a forward since he has the height and a shooter.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 4th, 2021, 5:40 pm

Man, I hope you're all right about Bairstow, I had high hopes when he committed, but have just been disappointed. I'm hopeful, but I'm reserved on this one till I see the potential actually become something more than just potential.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » October 4th, 2021, 5:56 pm

I honestly think that the coaching change will be the most beneficial for Bairstow. I think Smith was the wrong coach for him. He didn't need a coach to convince him to go run through a brick wall. He needs a coach that can bring him back to fundamentals and be patient. That seems to be exactly what Odom is.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 5th, 2021, 11:42 am

So, I was looking at Verbal Commits, and to preface this I'm not entirely sure how they are counting what year a player is with the COVID freebie. However, they have former players that still have eligibility (i.e. players that transferred out) listed in gray. According to the website below, this is the list of "Seniors" that we have had transfer out.

Koby McEwen
Crew Ainge
Abel Porter
John Knight III
Daron Henson
Alphonso Anderson
Roche Grootfaam
Klay Stall
Kuba Karwowski

That's a lot of players. :lol:

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AGGIEinIOWA

Depth chart

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 7th, 2021, 9:56 pm

So is Zee Hamoda going to develop into a special player? Got to admit that a few of the social media posts with him showing some athleticism has me excited. You can tell he has tried to model his game after Kobe. Maybe he won’t be a huge contributor this year but could be that athletic and long wing we’ve yearned for.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
aggies22MetsJetsAggies

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » October 15th, 2021, 8:50 am

Dorius will start at center with Zapala right behind him .Other starters: Bean, Horvath, Jones and Eytle-Rock. ZH will be too good to redshirt.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 15th, 2021, 12:27 pm

BobWilson wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 8:50 am
Dorius will start at center with Zapala right behind him .Other starters: Bean, Horvath, Jones and Eytle-Rock. ZH will be too good to redshirt.
I think Horvath will start at the "5" and Thelissen will start.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Roy McAvoy

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 15th, 2021, 12:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 12:27 pm
BobWilson wrote:
But does horvath play more wing and Thelissen more post?

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » October 15th, 2021, 1:04 pm

1-5 and PG, SG, SF, PF, C seem to be more generalized terms than in the past. A 6’10” guy might be offensively suited for facing the basket and shooting from the perimeter, while also being a great post defender. A 6’7” guy may be an offensive post threat and a great wing defender.

With little more than stats and internet hype to go from, I tend to believe that Jones, Eytle-Rock, Thelissen, Bean, and Horvath, are the likely starters. I’m calling them our 1-5.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 15th, 2021, 2:54 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 12:33 pm
aggies22 wrote:
BobWilson wrote:
But does horvath play more wing and Thelissen more post?
Thelissen likes to operate in the post.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 16th, 2021, 8:57 am

aggies22 wrote:
BobWilson wrote:
If Thelissen starts instead of Miller, I'm a happy camper. :noidea: :stirpot:

SLB

Post by SLB » October 18th, 2021, 12:44 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 8:57 am
aggies22 wrote:
BobWilson wrote:
If Thelissen starts instead of Miller, I'm a happy camper. :noidea: :stirpot:
Miller was great last year, but his back injury is still a thing. It is better to start someone else and ease Miller in limited play because of his back.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 19th, 2021, 12:16 pm

The depth chart is definitely taking shape.

Locked Previous topicNext topic