Starting guards killed us

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
usu99

Starting guards killed us

Post by usu99 » December 2nd, 2021, 9:50 pm

So many weak turnovers and terrible shooting.

5-20
0-5 from 3
6 turnovers
3 assist

Pathetic guard play verses a non super athletic opposing guard.

Ashworth was the only guard worth his salt tonight.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

scotlandog

Re: Starting guards killed us

Post by scotlandog » December 2nd, 2021, 10:07 pm

Ashworth should have been in the game for the last play not Jones. Jones was having a terrible night shooting. Ashworth was player of the game and not in for that. You play the hit hand and Jones was as cold as you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
GUS

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » December 2nd, 2021, 10:15 pm

The horrible flop warning took Jones out of the game.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 2nd, 2021, 10:19 pm

We needed better offensive play from about everyone not named Bean or Ashworth. Horvath did some nice things down the stretch but really struggled the rest of the game. Eytle-Rock's D was good but he needs to show more for a senior with a scoring reputation. I thought Brock was good and played within himself even though he didn't take many shots.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
SpectrumMagicReal Life Aggie

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » December 2nd, 2021, 10:21 pm

RJ had some good drives and I think had our first 4 out of half. Our guard play has been up and down. Rylan played a lot of minutes and works hard on D may have played factor in missed shots.

Brock wasn’t able to get many shots off, definitely didn’t force any shots up.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 2nd, 2021, 10:56 pm

Idk guys, I just keep seeing RJ with poor handles and too many bad passes. I don't see it yet. I see flashes, but I'm not sold on him. It seems like he passes to Horvath an inordinate amount... Not that I don't want Horvath to have the ball, but sometimes there's a better option.

Is it just me?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Aggie in Boise

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 2nd, 2021, 10:59 pm

Rylan struggled with his shot and made some silly turnovers. He also has been instrumental in the games back in east in getting victories. Horvath has been quiet the last few games. We need his scoring and his 3 point shot to come back.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 2nd, 2021, 11:00 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 10:59 pm
Rylan struggled with his shot and made some silly turnovers. He also has been instrumental in the games back in east in getting victories. Horvath has been quiet the last few games. We need his scoring and his 3 point shot to come back.
I wonder if horvath’s ankle is still bothering him.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 2nd, 2021, 11:01 pm

I think Bairstow played good in his limited minutes. He isn’t afraid to take it in and is a pretty good finisher. I’d like to see more of him.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 2nd, 2021, 11:07 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 11:01 pm
I think Bairstow played good in his limited minutes. He isn’t afraid to take it in and is a pretty good finisher. I’d like to see more of him.
Bairstow gave some solid minutes. Needs to limit those turnovers, but was pleased with the way he played considering he was only cleared a week ago. He will play a good role for the team this season.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 3rd, 2021, 7:46 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 10:56 pm
Idk guys, I just keep seeing RJ with poor handles and too many bad passes. I don't see it yet. I see flashes, but I'm not sold on him. It seems like he passes to Horvath an inordinate amount... Not that I don't want Horvath to have the ball, but sometimes there's a better option.

Is it just me?
No but according to Coach RJ starts off slow. I hope he improves quickly. He did have some nice moments last night.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 8:23 am

I hope to be able to agree with Odom by the end of the season. So far, I'm quite bearish about RJER. He did make some nice plays last night, but overall he was ineffective.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 3rd, 2021, 8:45 am

Is it just me, or does Riley Jones look like he's falling down or stumbling every time he shoots a three-pointer? Don't get me wrong, I like his play, just commenting on his shooting 'style'.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 3rd, 2021, 8:50 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 8:45 am
Is it just me, or does Riley Jones look like he's falling down or stumbling every time he shoots a three-pointer? Don't get me wrong, I like his play, just commenting on his shooting 'style'.
It is the ankle weights holding him down.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 3rd, 2021, 9:34 am

Eytle-Rock struggled a bit in the first half. They made a concerted effort to get him going in the second half. I think he shot the ball on three of our first four possessions of the second half. His defense keeps him in the game. Don't forget - it was his defense that gave us a chance to win at the end. He dropped down to double the post and ripped the ball away from Fotu on the block. That set up our chance to win with about 28 seconds (we won't re-hash what happened after that). Eytle-Rock played okay. I was expecting more offense from him, but I've resigned myself to the fact that he isn't going to bring a lot of offensive punch to a game. If he can eliminate turnovers and bad shots and play solid defense, that is a good game for him. He may even chip in 6 or 7 points a game.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
utaggies

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 3rd, 2021, 9:43 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 9:34 am
Eytle-Rock struggled a bit in the first half. They made a concerted effort to get him going in the second half. I think he shot the ball on three of our first four possessions of the second half. His defense keeps him in the game. Don't forget - it was his defense that gave us a chance to win at the end. He dropped down to double the post and ripped the ball away from Fotu on the block. That set up our chance to win with about 28 seconds (we won't re-hash what happened after that). Eytle-Rock played okay. I was expecting more offense from him, but I've resigned myself to the fact that he isn't going to bring a lot of offensive punch to a game. If he can eliminate turnovers and bad shots and play solid defense, that is a good game for him. He may even chip in 6 or 7 points a game.
At the beginning of the season I thought he would be one of the leaders with like 12-14 points per game. Don't think that will happen. Hopefully he can give us 6-8 points per game and play solid defense and limit turnovers.

bpd

Post by bpd » December 3rd, 2021, 10:01 am

If you are a short, un-athletic point guard, you better be able to shoot from 3. Outside of one game, I haven't seen that. There were several open looks last night including the wide open 3 at the end of that game that didn't fall.

Maybe he is hurt.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
utaggies

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 10:27 am

Yossarian wrote:
ER’s clutch steal was very MJ game 6-like.

Funny that game also had a bogus no call at the end.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
Aggie84025

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 3rd, 2021, 10:30 am

SwaggieAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 10:27 am
Yossarian wrote:
ER’s clutch steal was very MJ game 6-like.

Funny that game also had a bogus no call at the end.
It was eerily similar. It immediately came to mind as the play unfolded. I was hoping for the same outcome (win on a dramatic last second shot). It was a really great play by RJ. In the postgame Ashworth said that they had been practicing that exact play all week and it was executed perfectly for the steal.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 3rd, 2021, 11:17 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 7:46 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 10:56 pm

Is it just me?
No but according to Coach RJ starts off slow. I hope he improves quickly. He did have some nice moments last night.
I don’t want to wait until March to allow sufficient time for RJ’s slow start to abate.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieAggie in Boise

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 11:29 am

So...RJ sleeps until May? Meanwhile Bean will sleep in May.

Locked Previous topicNext topic