Odom = Duryea

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Agzrule

Re: Odom = Duryea

Post by Agzrule » January 18th, 2022, 11:45 pm

I really don’t care if anyone agrees with me, at this point, In my opinion, this team plays like duryeas teams did, one on one out of control, poor shot discipline and I simply cannot stand it, to me it is more than just bad shooting, I don’t see Odom using timeouts to calm the team down or to set up a good shot, I am beyond frustrated watching this continuing from game to game, I do realize Odom is a much better coach than duryea but right now it’s not by much, I expect much much more out of him

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 18th, 2022, 11:48 pm

Ahbye wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:36 pm
Treesap can vouch for this, but when I was still capable of physical movement, people hated to play me in basketball because they thought I was a cocky (I can't express myself without swearing). I would call my shots before they went in, and it pissed people off. What wasn't grasped was the fact that "self-talk" is the oldest way to maintain/regain confidence in the history of human sport. Confidence is contagious, whether real or manufactured, and so is timidity. Lots of us have experienced pressure moments or played in front of large crowds, and I think we can agree that those who were successful were those who could weather slumps or storms and stop the slide. This team needs a psychologist and several practices full of FTs and 3 point shooting until they puke.
You know it. Those BYU fanboy tools that we were dropping 3's on deserved every last bit of trash talk we gave them too.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 18th, 2022, 11:48 pm

Agzrule wrote:I really don’t care if anyone agrees with me, at this point, In my opinion, this team plays like duryeas teams did, one on one out of control, poor shot discipline and I simply cannot stand it, to me it is more than just bad shooting, I don’t see Odom using timeouts to calm the team down or to set up a good shot, I am beyond frustrated watching this continuing from game to game, I do realize Odom is a much better coach than duryea but right now it’s not by much, I expect much much more out of him
But you wanted Smith fired. So…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
FloridaAggie13

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » January 18th, 2022, 11:48 pm

Agzrule wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:45 pm
I really don’t care if anyone agrees with me, at this point, In my opinion, this team plays like duryeas teams did, one on one out of control, poor shot discipline and I simply cannot stand it, to me it is more than just bad shooting, I don’t see Odom using timeouts to calm the team down or to set up a good shot, I am beyond frustrated watching this continuing from game to game, I do realize Odom is a much better coach than duryea but right now it’s not by much, I expect much much more out of him
I should have said we don't completely disagree either with respect to why we're on this thread. There are definitely similarities.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
Agzrule

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 18th, 2022, 11:49 pm

Agzrule wrote:
I can agree with the no TO’s and can’t set/draw up a play out of a time out for nothing.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » January 18th, 2022, 11:50 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:48 pm
Ahbye wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:36 pm
Treesap can vouch for this, but when I was still capable of physical movement, people hated to play me in basketball because they thought I was a cocky (I can't express myself without swearing). I would call my shots before they went in, and it pissed people off. What wasn't grasped was the fact that "self-talk" is the oldest way to maintain/regain confidence in the history of human sport. Confidence is contagious, whether real or manufactured, and so is timidity. Lots of us have experienced pressure moments or played in front of large crowds, and I think we can agree that those who were successful were those who could weather slumps or storms and stop the slide. This team needs a psychologist and several practices full of FTs and 3 point shooting until they puke.
You know it. Those BYU fanboy tools that we were dropping 3's on deserved every last bit of trash talk we gave them too.
Hahaha! I should have added that there were definitely ancillary benefits to the trash talking because it sure as hell got to them.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » January 18th, 2022, 11:50 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Agzrule wrote:I really don’t care if anyone agrees with me, at this point, In my opinion, this team plays like duryeas teams did, one on one out of control, poor shot discipline and I simply cannot stand it, to me it is more than just bad shooting, I don’t see Odom using timeouts to calm the team down or to set up a good shot, I am beyond frustrated watching this continuing from game to game, I do realize Odom is a much better coach than duryea but right now it’s not by much, I expect much much more out of him
But you wanted Smith fired. So…….

Please quit thread jacking

Bluened
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bluened » January 18th, 2022, 11:52 pm

I was pretty high on the Odom from the start and still think he can turn it around (just not this year, not enough talent.) I am frustrated that we went from a 16 point lead to down four and Odom did not make any noticeable adjustments and kept all of his timeouts in his back pocket. Reminds me of Quinn Snyder in the last playoff game against the clippers last year. The team looked like they expected to lose right when Fresno made that little run at the end of the first half. Still think Odom will be better than Duryea in the long run, hope he can adjust to this level of basketball. The terrible thing with Duryea is he had so many tools/plays/ he learned from Stew and never used them. He should have been a quick study. I will give Odom a grace period to adjust.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » January 18th, 2022, 11:53 pm

Ahbye wrote:
Agzrule wrote:
I should have said we don't completely disagree either with respect to why we're on this thread. There are definitely similarities.
I’ve been going to games since 1993, I have no other usu coach that he is comparable to that I have seen here
Last edited by Agzrule on January 18th, 2022, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 18th, 2022, 11:54 pm

Winning Team wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:26 pm
Also is it not true that we have played really good teams? We have played the best in the MW and have been in it with 2:00 left in every game.

With the roster we have I would consider that a success.
New Mexico and the AFA are NOT good teams.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 18th, 2022, 11:55 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:54 pm
Winning Team wrote:
Also is it not true that we have played really good teams? We have played the best in the MW and have been in it with 2:00 left in every game.

UC Davis at home?!
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 19th, 2022, 12:09 am

Elkaggie wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:55 pm
utaggies wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:54 pm
Winning Team wrote:

UC Davis at home?!
A bad loss. And even just to break it down to the conference eventually to compete you have to win some of these games. Our next 2 games we play Boise State and San Diego State. Should we just consider losses ok because they are good teams as we sit at 1-6? We are playing competitive basketball, but excuses don't work when they happen time after time after time.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 19th, 2022, 12:17 am

WHERE IS BEAN?? He needs to step it up and take over the game down the stretch. Just like he did against Oklahoma. He's been so passive lately, like he's deferring to Sam or Neemias. It's your team bro. Scarff down some Taco Time, demand the ball and enforce your will! Quit forgetting you're the best player on the floor!!
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on January 19th, 2022, 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 19th, 2022, 12:21 am

Odom is making a really bad first impression, and I am pretty disappointed, but it is premature to say he is Duryea. Duryea managed to be terrible with a roster Craig Smith won a conference title with the following year. The current roster is not that roster.

Find your zen place like I have and let your expectations die. Just hope for development and a much needed roster purge when the time is right. That’s all we can do.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
FloridaAggie13

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 19th, 2022, 12:36 am

GUS wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:22 pm
I hope RJER moves on. Inconsistent and below average play. I'd rather keep Potter.
I’m fine with keeping Potter. He’s a redshirt that hasn’t played at all and deserves a shot still.

In regards to RJ moving on, I get that perspective and would be okay with that outcome. The four I’ve listed have at least shown MW bench-level rotation player potential, albeit ALL of them just in flashes.Honestly, there isn’t a current player on the roster that I would be bent out of shape to lose. If Bairstow keeps it up, he may be one I would be bummed to lose.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 19th, 2022, 12:58 am

I don't think this is on Odom. Odom beat a #1 seed with a UMBC team. He isn't a dummy. He needs better basketball players, that is evident. Guys that can throw the ball through the hoop at a clip higher than 25% and guys that are strong enough, athletic enough, and mentally tough enough to compete in this league. If he can recruit those types of players, I think we'll find that he's not a terrible coach.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
vegasaggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 19th, 2022, 5:34 am

Almost as if hiring a coach with a resume based entirely on one game wasn’t a great idea. Someone tell me why he is a good coach without referencing the upset over Virginia. I’ll wait.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 19th, 2022, 5:58 am

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 5:34 am
Almost as if hiring a coach with a resume based entirely on one game wasn’t a great idea. Someone tell me why he is a good coach without referencing the upset over Virginia. I’ll wait.
At UMBC when when took over, they had been winning only 4-10 games the previous five years. They were in the basement to say the least. He then goes 97-60 overall, and 50-28 in conference over five seasons. Look I’m as frustrated as anybody, the MWC is very deep this year. Craig left him with a crap sandwich. This year will be painful especially with our high expectations for USU basketball. I reset my expectations, and Im just hoping for a overall record slightly better than .500. They are in a funk right now, it looked like they put away some of that last night, then the second half came. Hopefully they can figure it out soon. Odom will really need to make it happen next year.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 3):
aggiebornFloridaAggie13vegasaggie

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 19th, 2022, 6:00 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
At UMBC when when took over, they had been winning only 4-10 games the previous five years. They were in the basement to say the least. He then goes 97-60 overall, and 50-28 in conference over five seasons. Look I’m as frustrated as anybody, the MWC is very deep this year. Craig left him with a crap sandwich. This year will be painful especially with our high expectations for USU basketball. I reset my expectations, and Im just hoping for a overall record slightly better than .500. They are in a funk right now, it looked like they put away some of that last night, then the second half came. Hopefully they can figure it out soon. Odom will really need to make it happen next year.
Yeah but if you take away all of the wins what has he done?

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 4):
aggieborntreesap32aggies22FloridaAggie13

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 19th, 2022, 6:07 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:00 am
FL350Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

Made one NCAA Tournament in a weak league? Lost to a Big West team, has a poor track record in close games at USU? Eked out a road win over the worst team in the conference after losing to the second worst? Although maybe that makes us the second worst team in the league. Idk

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 19th, 2022, 6:12 am

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

Made one NCAA Tournament in a weak league? Lost to a Big West team, has a poor track record in close games at USU? Eked out a road win over the worst team in the conference after losing to the second worst? Although maybe that makes us the second worst team in the league. Idk
Yeah. I mean if you ignore his wins and only focus on his losses you’re absolutely correct.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
aggieborn

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 19th, 2022, 6:16 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

Ha ha I don’t know. Probably shaves, sh***s, and showers on the really productive days just like the rest of us.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 19th, 2022, 6:17 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:12 am
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

Yeah. I mean if you ignore his wins and only focus on his losses you’re absolutely correct.

Fair enough. Would you care to enlighten us all on his most impressive wins then? Virginia and who else?

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 19th, 2022, 6:27 am

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... re-county/

Well it was worse than I thought. In 14 years prior to Odom they had one winning season. I don’t care what you think about the league, turning an absolute loser into a winner is no small task. I’m willing to wait and see if Odom can start working his magic the next couple of years.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 2):
AggieSCvegasaggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 19th, 2022, 6:28 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

It’s not like Craig Smith had a better resume than Odom. We just got spoiled by 3 years with an NBA caliber center and 2 years with a NBA caliber guard. People need to chill and give Odom a chance. They act like we’re getting blown out every game.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggieSCvegasaggie

coolag

Post by coolag » January 19th, 2022, 6:31 am

What I've learned from this thread: if we get better basketball players and they make baskets, we will be better. Thanks Nutrisystem!!! (USU Fans)
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
FL350Aggie

Regulator of Class

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 19th, 2022, 6:33 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:28 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

It’s not like Craig Smith had a better resume than Odom. We just got spoiled by 3 years with an NBA caliber center and 2 years with a NBA caliber guard. People need to chill and give Odom a chance. They act like we’re getting blown out every game.
Exactly! Even with all that NBA talent and a guy like Bean he still couldn’t win a tournament game. Although to be fair, his best chance got taken by Covid. Yes, he tore it up in the MWC but it wasn’t as deep as it is this year.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 19th, 2022, 6:35 am

coolag wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:31 am
What I've learned from this thread: if we get better basketball players and they make baskets, we will be better. Thanks Nutrisystem!!! (USU Fans)
Yeah, if USU makes more baskets than the other team they will most likely win. Who would have thought!?

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » January 19th, 2022, 6:56 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:20 pm
All of you freaking out, I get it — I was there.

Just learn to accept as I did that we just don’t have the talent this year and stop worrying about the wins and losses this season.

What I hope to see is improvement and development from the guys on the roster that have shown promise, and a swift (but polite) kick out the door for the other half of the roster in the offseason.

Were I Odom, I would honestly use the rest of this season to figure out who is worth bringing back next season. Let Zee and Shulga get extended run. Those are the only two on the roster that are still question marks, IMO.

Ashworth, Jones, Bairstow, and RJER (if he is willing to get in better shape and accept a bench role) should be back. Everyone else aside from Zee and Shulga (who are still question marks) should be shown the door.
I was concerned for half a game or a game then I stopped worrying.

I will be interested to see how we change over the next two seasons.

That is a shocking thought though. What if we're like this for two more years. Still, I'm not worried yet. Having football be decent helps a ton.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 19th, 2022, 8:06 am

The concern I have is who has he recruited that’s a difference maker? Do we have any good committs? I feel like next year could be worse than this year.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 19th, 2022, 8:16 am

Elkaggie wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 8:06 am
The concern I have is who has he recruited that’s a difference maker? Do we have any good committs? I feel like next year could be worse than this year.
Falslev.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 19th, 2022, 8:19 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:28 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

Yeah there are some things this year that being critical of is completely fair. We can't keep blowing these close games. However, it is way way way too early for any talk that Odom isn't a good coach or won't get it done here. He has a great resume, turned around a terrible program at UMBC and is in his first year here. Give it some time to see what he can do with the program. This was always going to be a transition year where making the tournament was going to be a tough ask.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
vegasaggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 19th, 2022, 8:43 am

aggieborn wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:10 pm
Dureyas recruiting played a big part in Craig Smiths success, and Smiths poor recruiting is playing a big part in odoms failures. This roster can’t win and this roster is Smiths not Odoms
I agree with this to a certain extent but Odom's recruits haven't been great (especially RJ) and Craig did take two of his good recruits (Worster and Anthony) with him and his other good recruit left for the NBA, after his junior year. As I recall Gary didn't leave the football program in good shape but Blake took responsibility and brought in some good recruits and turned things around. At the end of the day the coach has responsibility for the product that's on the floor. This is Odom's first year so I'm going to give him some leniency but I'm hoping he's working hard to bring in some good recruits for next year. Even with the lack of talent, IMO, we've lost a number of very close games that we could have probably won with better coaching.

IMO, Queta was the X factor in Craig's success.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » January 19th, 2022, 9:04 am

People were expecting too much. Looking at the players brought in, and the roster overall, objectively this is a .500 team. The Ags may go on a winning streak and get some excitement up for a while, but realistically it isn't a team that's going down in history as one of the better USU teams, record wise or talent wise.

As for Odom, other than the fact that he didn't do a good job with his first class, which was kind of expected, it's really too early to judge him overall. However, he has to show in his next recruiting class that he can bring in some players that are more competitive at this level, not the UMBC level.

In Stew's first year here he went 15-13, 8-8 conference. He brought in something like 9 new players and went 28-6, 16-0 conference his second. I'm not saying Odom and Stew are comparible coaches, but turning a team around can be done with one recruiting class.
Last edited by SeldomSeenSmith on January 19th, 2022, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 4):
Aggie formerly in HawaiicdaAgNowhereLandAggievegasaggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 19th, 2022, 9:05 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 9:04 am
People were expecting too much. Looking at the players brought in, and the roster overall, objectively this is a .500 team. The Ags may go on a winning streak and get some excitement up for a while, but realistically it isn't a team that's going down in history as one of the better USU teams, record wise or talent wise.

As for Odom, other than the fact that he didn't do a good job with his first class, which was kind of expected, it's really too early to judge him overall. However, he has to show in his next recruiting class that he can bring in some players that are more competitive at this level, not the UMBC level.

In Stew's first year here he went 15-13, 8-8 conference. He brought in something like 9 new players and went 28-6, 16-0 conference. I'm not saying Odom and Stew are comparible coaches, but turning a team around can be done with one recruiting class.
Yep and you were rightfully critical of the roster going into the season and got unfairly roasted for it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic