Odom = Duryea

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SeldomSeenSmith

Re: Odom = Duryea

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » January 19th, 2022, 9:06 am

I have a thick skin. It's been roasted many times.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiiaggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 19th, 2022, 10:09 am

So, we are saying that Smith was successful on the back of Duryea's recruits (Sam) and striking gold on one recruit (Queta). This combined with a weak MWC. I honestly don't really care about all of the excuses. The guy won championships and got into the NCAA tourney. I believe he would have done better than Odom is doing. It would be a step back from what we had come to expect with Smith. I believe much of that would have been due to Anthony and Worster still being on the team and continuity. I agree that Smith recruited poorly in many respects. He did bring in Queta, Worster, and Anthony. The last two have some limitations but have many strengths.

Odom was given a difficult assignment for sure. He had two starts back in Bean and Miller. His returning bench was relatively weak and unproven with Ashworth being the most successful. Odom only brought in a couple of his own guys and Rylan Jones. Horvath and Jones played really well early on. They were a big piece to our success. Now they seem to be mediocre. RJER hasn't done much all season, but we keep hearing that he will come on later in the season. Hopefully that happens before March. Bairstow had an injury that set him back. Miller is done. There have been several things that have happened this year that give me hope that Odom will get where we need to be, but he has to be willing to make this his team. I am excited to see if anyone progresses through this season. I am excited to see what the offseason brings.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 19th, 2022, 10:12 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:09 am
So, we are saying that Smith was successful on the back of Duryea's recruits (Sam) and striking gold on one recruit (Queta). This combined with a weak MWC. I honestly don't really care about all of the excuses. The guy won championships and got into the NCAA tourney. I believe he would have done better than Odom is doing. It would be a step back from what we had come to expect with Smith. I believe much of that would have been due to Anthony and Worster still being on the team and continuity. I agree that Smith recruited poorly in many respects. He did bring in Queta, Worster, and Anthony. The last two have some limitations but have many strengths.

Odom was given a difficult assignment for sure. He had two starts back in Bean and Miller. His returning bench was relatively weak and unproven with Ashworth being the most successful. Odom only brought in a couple of his own guys and Rylan Jones. Horvath and Jones played really well early on. They were a big piece to our success. Now they seem to be mediocre. RJER hasn't done much all season, but we keep hearing that he will come on later in the season. Hopefully that happens before March. Bairstow had an injury that set him back. Miller is done. There have been several things that have happened this year that give me hope that Odom will get where we need to be, but he has to be willing to make this his team. I am excited to see if anyone progresses through this season. I am excited to see what the offseason brings.
Sam wasn't a Duryea recruit, he was Stew's. He graduated a year after Jalen Moore, but with his mission and everything else they never played together.

https://247sports.com/Player/Sam-Merril ... ol-54585/

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Moor ... ol-53834/
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
aggies22

stang

Post by stang » January 19th, 2022, 10:31 am

The venn diagram of people who are convinced that Craig Smith "isn't a very good basketball coach" and people who are now furious with Ryan Odom for not having the same success that Craig did in his first year is a circle, and I find it hilarious.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
AggieDadHarcher

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 19th, 2022, 10:35 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:12 am
NVAggie wrote:

Sam wasn't a Duryea recruit, he was Stew's. He graduated a year after Jalen Moore, but with his mission and everything else they never played together.

Yes they did. https://usustats.com/rosters/2016-17
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
aggies22

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 19th, 2022, 11:09 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:35 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

So they did, one year together.

It is a bit ironic, because they played the state title game against each other where Jalen Moore hit the long 3 pointer to win the game.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 19th, 2022, 11:45 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:24 pm
bigblue wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:23 pm
slcagg wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:20 pm
treesap32 wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:16 pm
Mentally weak. Can't make FTs, we panic and turn the ball over. Miss open looks. Miss layups.

Gotta put some of the blame on the coaches when your team is mentally weak.
Horvath went from shooting over 80% from the FT line to clanking them off the glass. He's missed his last 7 free throws.
So what has happened? Seems like a confidence thing and the whole team looks tentative out there.
100% lack of confidence. That's more mental than coaching in my opinion. We have a perfect storm of multiple players lacking confidence.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Coach has to instill confidence. When your team is mentally weak you have to fix that. Bring in a sports psychologist if you can't do it yourself.
Isn't Dr. Gordon still on campus?

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » January 19th, 2022, 12:10 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 11:45 am
treesap32 wrote:
bigblue wrote:
slcagg wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Mentally weak. Can't make FTs, we panic and turn the ball over. Miss open looks. Miss layups.

Horvath went from shooting over 80% from the FT line to clanking them off the glass. He's missed his last 7 free throws.
So what has happened? Seems like a confidence thing and the whole team looks tentative out there.
100% lack of confidence. That's more mental than coaching in my opinion. We have a perfect storm of multiple players lacking confidence.

Coach has to instill confidence. When your team is mentally weak you have to fix that. Bring in a sports psychologist if you can't do it yourself.
I'm pretty sure he retired from teaching. I loved his class, although he missed three weeks for the Winter Olympics when I was in it. We definitely need a sports psychologist.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » January 19th, 2022, 12:16 pm

We are in every game, we just don't have a star to put us over the top. We need someone who can create for himself or others in crunch time.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 19th, 2022, 12:21 pm

UStateTim wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 12:10 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 11:45 am
treesap32 wrote:
bigblue wrote:
slcagg wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I'm pretty sure he retired from teaching. I loved his class, although he missed three weeks for the Winter Olympics when I was in it. We definitely need a sports psychologist.
Bring him back to help our boys out!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 19th, 2022, 12:31 pm

coolag wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:31 am
What I've learned from this thread: if we get better basketball players and they make baskets, we will be better. Thanks Nutrisystem!!! (USU Fans)
You're not too far off my Aggie brother.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 19th, 2022, 12:39 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:30 pm
Let us not forget that Mr Duryea had an NBA guy in Merrill and a high level college guy in McEwen. Odom has no such players and this team is far more competitive with a far more difficult schedule. This thread is the most idiotic thing I’ve seen on this board.
I believe someone on this forum made a comment last season indicating they didn’t believe we’d have much of a drop off at center if Queta left for the NBA because we have Dorius.

I bought into some forum hype before the season started and thought Thelissen would become a starter this season.

In hindsight, those are 2 pretty dumb thoughts.

HPAGGIE

Post by HPAGGIE » January 19th, 2022, 12:43 pm

The problem that I am seeing is that we are lacking a true scorer. Someone that can go get us a few or multiple baskets when needed. I understand we have Bean, and he is a good scorer, but I don't think he is the give me the ball and I will go get some points type of player. He gets his points through the flow of the game, put backs, etc.

In the last few games, it appears that some are willing to give it a go. Last night we saw clear outs for Bairstow and Shulga and it just didn't quite work out. We appear to be doing a lot of clear out iso and then do a lot of watching. I am not a basketball guy and from my perspective no teams appear to run any set offensive plays, so I do not know what we need to do to change. as far as offense sets go.

I compare it to Maldonado from WY. They needed points and if I remember correctly on 4 straight trips down the court, they iso'd him and he could take his guy and get the basket. I don't think we have the players to do that, so we need to come up with something else on offense. At the end of the game it was he and Ike. We doubled up Maldonado and Ike got us. Getting some threes to fall would be great, because they are all packing it in on us.

I am a football guy and we always talk about having the offense work with the players you have, or you go find the right players to fit the offense you would like to run. But having the wrong offense for the wrong players doesn't work. I think that is where we are at with basketball. We need to change the offense to the players we have and or he really needs to go get some players this off season to run the type of offense he likes to run.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 19th, 2022, 12:55 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 11:09 am
treesap32 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

It is a bit ironic, because they played the state title game against each other where Jalen Moore hit the long 3 pointer to win the game.

I remember watching that game and thinking this Sam Merrill guy is pretty damn good.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USUaggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 19th, 2022, 12:57 pm

Pacobag wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 12:39 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:30 pm
Let us not forget that Mr Duryea had an NBA guy in Merrill and a high level college guy in McEwen. Odom has no such players and this team is far more competitive with a far more difficult schedule. This thread is the most idiotic thing I’ve seen on this board.
I believe someone on this forum made a comment last season indicating they didn’t believe we’d have much of a drop off at center if Queta left for the NBA because we have Dorius.

I bought into some forum hype before the season started and thought Thelissen would become a starter this season.

In hindsight, those are 2 pretty dumb thoughts.
In all fairness, nobody knew that Thelissen would get to campus and act like he has no basketball comprehension skills.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Pacobag

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » January 19th, 2022, 1:03 pm

As I see it, Early in the season we were moving the ball really well and getting open looks. We were averaging 20+ assists a game. We are now down to 17.8 apg. In conference games our assist totals are really low. AF we had 11. NM we had 14 (win), CSU we had 10, wyo we had 12 and Fresno we had 9. our offense has really struggled in conference play because we are trying to do too much hero ball or iso. In contrast, when we won the Myrtle beach Tournament we averaged 18 apg. We need to get back to moving the ball and the offense will flow better.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 19th, 2022, 1:07 pm

aggies1 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 1:03 pm
As I see it, Early in the season we were moving the ball really well and getting open looks. We were averaging 20+ assists a game. We are now down to 17.8 apg. In conference games our assist totals are really low. AF we had 11. NM we had 14 (win), CSU we had 10, wyo we had 12 and Fresno we had 9. our offense has really struggled in conference play because we are trying to do too much hero ball or iso. In contrast, when we won the Myrtle beach Tournament we averaged 18 apg. We need to get back to moving the ball and the offense will flow better.
The assists are also going down because everyone is afraid to put up a shot and as the shot clock winds down whoever has the ball in their hands last is the poor guy that has to chuck one up there. It's like the ball is a hot potato, NOBODY wants it.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 19th, 2022, 1:16 pm

aggies1 wrote:
No assists on missed FGs.

I don’t know if our assists per made FG are down as well.

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » January 19th, 2022, 1:26 pm

What does everyone think our record would look like this year with Queta? 16-2 or 15-3? We’d all be praising Odom’s coaching even with the shooting struggles. I like Odom’s offense better than Smiths. We just need to hit some shots. We’ll see what happens with recruiting over the next couple of seasons.

ColoAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by ColoAggie » January 19th, 2022, 1:45 pm

aggies1 wrote:
Winner. That's exactly how we built the lead yesterday-less dribbling and more passing and motion. Once Fresno adjusted and upped their defensive intensity, we stopped moving the ball and the iso crap with the token ball screen at the top became our "go to" offense. It's ridiculous and that's on Odom. It's like he has no answer to the other team's adjustments.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 19th, 2022, 2:41 pm

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:17 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:12 am
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:00 am
FL350Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 5:34 am
Almost as if hiring a coach with a resume based entirely on one game wasn’t a great idea. Someone tell me why he is a good coach without referencing the upset over Virginia. I’ll wait.
At UMBC when when took over, they had been winning only 4-10 games the previous five years. They were in the basement to say the least. He then goes 97-60 overall, and 50-28 in conference over five seasons. Look I’m as frustrated as anybody, the MWC is very deep this year. Craig left him with a crap sandwich. This year will be painful especially with our high expectations for USU basketball. I reset my expectations, and Im just hoping for a overall record slightly better than .500. They are in a funk right now, it looked like they put away some of that last night, then the second half came. Hopefully they can figure it out soon. Odom will really need to make it happen next year.
Yeah but if you take away all of the wins what has he done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Made one NCAA Tournament in a weak league? Lost to a Big West team, has a poor track record in close games at USU? Eked out a road win over the worst team in the conference after losing to the second worst? Although maybe that makes us the second worst team in the league. Idk
Yeah. I mean if you ignore his wins and only focus on his losses you’re absolutely correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough. Would you care to enlighten us all on his most impressive wins then? Virginia and who else?
That one win over Virginia is one more NCAA Tournament win than we have at USU in twenty years; and he did it against a one seed while with a team about as talented as Stews Big West teams.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 19th, 2022, 2:43 pm

How bad of a coach would Smith have been if Sam doesn't take over each game in the '19 and '20 MWC Tournament? Otherwise, we get knocked out in the second round each year, ala Timmy D.

AggieDad

Post by AggieDad » January 19th, 2022, 2:54 pm

Half way through the first season of a new coach is not time to call for change. Maybe Odom has to find his legs a bit, but this is not on him right now. We just played the top half of the league, with another one Saturday and Wednesday. These opponents are a combined 60-14 right now. With Net rankings at 27, 30, 43, 47, 54, and we have been in every game with a chance to win. We've come up short and this needs to be addressed, but we don't have the same talent as these other teams, and certainly not of the past few years. Many are playing for the first time together. Relax a bit. I think Odom is doing more with this team than can be reasonably expected. We have good talent and some of it is maturing, but we lost two good players to Utah, and one of our better scorers is now out of basketball.
These users thanked the author AggieDad for the post (total 2):
AggieSCAngusAg

coolag

Post by coolag » January 19th, 2022, 3:42 pm

AggieDad wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 2:54 pm
Half way through the first season of a new coach is not time to call for change. Maybe Odom has to find his legs a bit, but this is not on him right now. We just played the top half of the league, with another one Saturday and Wednesday. These opponents are a combined 60-14 right now. With Net rankings at 27, 30, 43, 47, 54, and we have been in every game with a chance to win. We've come up short and this needs to be addressed, but we don't have the same talent as these other teams, and certainly not of the past few years. Many are playing for the first time together. Relax a bit. I think Odom is doing more with this team than can be reasonably expected. We have good talent and some of it is maturing, but we lost two good players to Utah, and one of our better scorers is now out of basketball.
clearly Odom is not getting fired after this year or next for that matter. But if this crap on the floor persists until then I can see a mid season firing in year 3.

Regulator of Class

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 19th, 2022, 3:56 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 11:11 pm
We're mentally weak.
This.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 19th, 2022, 4:07 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 8:16 am
Elkaggie wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 8:06 am
The concern I have is who has he recruited that’s a difference maker? Do we have any good committs? I feel like next year could be worse than this year.
Falslev.
I hope so. I watched him a lot in high school and although he was very good I’m not convinced he’s a difference maker. Maybe after a couple years but I hope he can be a difference maker.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 19th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 4:07 pm
treesap32 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 8:16 am
Elkaggie wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 8:06 am
The concern I have is who has he recruited that’s a difference maker? Do we have any good committs? I feel like next year could be worse than this year.
Falslev.
I hope so. I watched him a lot in high school and although he was very good I’m not convinced he’s a difference maker. Maybe after a couple years but I hope he can be a difference maker.
It will probably take a year or 2 with Falslev, but he is a very good talent. We have good history of getting solid in state talent and having them thrive at USU. Who knows if that will happen, but he has a good skill set to make it happen.

For next year this team really needs some proven transfer talent from a smaller school or raw athletic ability/potential from a P5 type school who just needs more playing time. Their will be lots of available transfers I just hope that Odom can get 2-3 in here that can make an immediate impact.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 19th, 2022, 4:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 1:07 pm
aggies1 wrote:
The assists are also going down because everyone is afraid to put up a shot and as the shot clock winds down whoever has the ball in their hands last is the poor guy that has to chuck one up there. It's like the ball is a hot potato, NOBODY wants it.
Where's BEAN?

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » January 19th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Duryea had no head coaching experience, fan base wasn't excited about the hire from the onset, and early results reinforced the dissatisfaction with him among the fan base.

Odom has head coaching experience (with a track record of some success), fan base was excited about the hire from the onset, but the early results haven't been the level we would've hoped.

It's way to early to say Odom = Duryea. We've been spoiled the past three years, so with a new coach and loss of key players taking a step back shouldn't be surprise. That doesn't mean Odom should get a free pass forever, and hopefully he can motivate and coach his players to finish the season strong.

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » January 19th, 2022, 5:27 pm

Don't give up on Odom. This team is getting good shots and missing them. They can't even hit free throws at this stage. They will come around and I think they will improve as the season progresses and will be a significant factor come tournament time. Another thing, we do have two starters out and Jones is certainly not at full strength. I don't know how serious Bean's ankle is. I do know we have people on this board that are quick to judgment.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 19th, 2022, 5:54 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 12:55 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 11:09 am
treesap32 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

I remember watching that game and thinking this Sam Merrill guy is pretty damn good.
I asked my brother after watching the game "Who won?" He said Sky View. I said "Wrong, the Aggies won." Far and away the two best players on the court and in that tournament were USU commits.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post (total 2):
aggies22JSHarvey

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 19th, 2022, 6:38 pm

And to the OP, fully disagree that Odom is equal to Duryea. This season's been tough and has, in my opinion, highlighted the lack of developed talent on this year's team. Duryea failed to recruit a key guy who was already on the team and coming to practice. The talent level on the team he inherited from Stew was probably the best collection of talent in the program out of the previous 5-6 years. He had no clue what to do with it. This year's results are frustrating, but I agree with the assessment of many in this thread who acknowledge the lack of impact players on the roster. Odom does need to fix that over the next two recruiting cycles. If he doesn't, it will be the recruiting that's his failure and demise. If he hits on some good players and also develops some of our young guys, I think we'll all be much more pleased next year at this time. I believe the schemes are solid. Duryea was clueless. He took a juco approach to strategy, i.e., hope the players do something effective or hit whatever shot they decided to take.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 19th, 2022, 6:55 pm

We don’t have the horses. Apparently Kaysville isn’t a hot bed for talent

DCAggie24

Post by DCAggie24 » January 19th, 2022, 7:34 pm

Talented roster or not; Odom better start winning or he is going to lose his Disney movie in 15 years.

BigSkyAG

Post by BigSkyAG » January 19th, 2022, 8:00 pm

Slight Correction Seldom Seen. Stew went 19-0 in his second year in conference.

Locked Previous topicNext topic