Is it Possible to Get Refs Under 65 Years Old!?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ususports

Re: Is it Possible to Get Refs Under 65 Years Old!?

Post by ususports » January 22nd, 2022, 1:20 pm

AggieHead wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 1:08 pm
Could we start a forum for complaints about refs? Complaining about refs is small time and juvenile. We aren’t losing because of officiating. We are losing because we seriously lack speed and athleticism.
But dude, can you believe the ref called a lane violation when our player camped in the key for the entire free throw shooting process? They should overlook that every time like they do at my son’s games. At my son’s games, they don’t call traveling, double dribble, or most violations, so it is bush league they call them in college. We would have a much better record if they called them against our opponents, but overlooked all of our teams violations. Life isn’t fair!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 24th, 2022, 7:55 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 11:13 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 11:11 am
Usu0505 wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 10:15 am
coolag wrote:Our Head Coach basically had a ref come and threaten to beat his a$$ during a game. Think about that. Can you picture that ever happening to Stew or even Craig Smith? For whatever reason the officials don't respect Odom and seem to go out of their way to let him know it. Maybe its our nerd alert staff or our pasty white roster? But as a family member asked me recently, can you picture any member of our staff going in to a great recruits home and knocking it out of the park with them and their family? Sadly I have no confidence that will happen. We shall see.
Craig smiths pump you up, jock boy boxing quotes didn’t work either so there is that.

We’ll see I guess jury is still out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It didn't work? I must have missed going to the tourney the last 3 years under coach Smith. As well as winning 2/3 conference tourney championships.
We did that with Timmy D’s recruits, a Portuguese wunderkind that we got because we had another Portuguese kid on the roster, and a walk-on-turned-god named Justin Bean.

Craig’s recruiting, or lack thereof, had little to do with it. Points for Craig for Marco and Rollie, but that’s about it.
Yep, if you take away all of Craig's good recruits, including an early entry NBA Draftee that set all sorts of records at USU, he didn't have any good recruits!
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Pacobag

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 24th, 2022, 10:20 am

I don't know the history of Craig Smith recruiting, but I've listed some notable players that signed while he was a head coach that I could think of (conference in parentheses):

Best:
Neemias Queta (MW)
Matt Mooney (Summit)
Stanley Umude (Summit)
Tyler Hagedorn (Summit)

Good or potentially good:
John Knight III (MW)
Alphonso Anderson (MW)
Marco Anthony (MW)
Rollie Worster (MW)
Sean Bairstow (MW)

Whiffs:
Too many to list....

It would be interesting to compare Tim Duryea, Craig Smith, and Ryan Odom's top recruits during their time as head coaches while also noting the conference they were in at the time. Are there any publications that rank a school's recruiting classes relative to their conference peers? It would be interesting to see how these three coaches ranked.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » January 24th, 2022, 11:53 am

Pacobag wrote:I don't know the history of Craig Smith recruiting, but I've listed some notable players that signed while he was a head coach that I could think of (conference in parentheses):

Best:
Neemias Queta (MW)
Matt Mooney (Summit)
Stanley Umude (Summit)
Tyler Hagedorn (Summit)

Good or potentially good:
John Knight III (MW)
Alphonso Anderson (MW)
Marco Anthony (MW)
Rollie Worster (MW)
Sean Bairstow (MW)

Whiffs:
Too many to list....

It would be interesting to compare Tim Duryea, Craig Smith, and Ryan Odom's top recruits during their time as head coaches while also noting the conference they were in at the time. Are there any publications that rank a school's recruiting classes relative to their conference peers? It would be interesting to see how these three coaches ranked.
Would someone please explain the Fonz love that prevails on the board? I feel the role he was given by Smith was appropriate.

I don't mean to hate on him, Fonz is a good guy, but I feel he played too much hero ball (which sometimes was needed and won a couple games) and looked like he had inconsistent effort on defense and rebounding. I feel the bench role was a perfect role for him. Hence why he transferred to a smaller school and not a bigger school.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 24th, 2022, 3:08 pm

SSaggie wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 11:53 am
Would someone please explain the Fonz love that prevails on the board? I feel the role he was given by Smith was appropriate.

I don't mean to hate on him, Fonz is a good guy, but I feel he played too much hero ball (which sometimes was needed and won a couple games) and looked like he had inconsistent effort on defense and rebounding. I feel the bench role was a perfect role for him. Hence why he transferred to a smaller school and not a bigger school.

I don’t disagree. I’m also not that high on Bairstow…. yet. He needs to show more toughness and more consistency before I’d definitively say he is good. I wasn’t sure who to include outside of Neemi and Mooney.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » January 24th, 2022, 5:00 pm

Yeah I feel the same about Bairstow. He has the potential but hasn't strung it together yet.

Locked Previous topicNext topic