Well at least it's nice that we had a great year in one of the two revenue sports.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13

Well at least it's nice that we had a great year in one of the two revenue sports.

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 21st, 2022, 10:37 am

As an Aggie fan, we can't all have what we enjoyed in 2018 which is a great football and basketball year. I have settled that this team is not NCAA tournament compatible even though I hope I'm wrong on that come conference tournament time, but it will take winning the tournament for them to get in. Still 3 years in a row in the NCAA tournament is quite the accomplishment from where we were. Four in a row would be awesome but all streaks end eventually. We'll get there again hopefully soon. This team has a lot of work to do to develop and I will try as a fan to enjoy that for the remainder of the season. I'm not in the let's fire Odom after the first year wagon. I always believe giving a coach at least two or three years before coming to that conclusion. I'm glad we had a great football year, and honestly when it comes to the development of the athletic program that's the sport you would rather have successful even over basketball notwithstanding the history Aggie basketball has for the University. Go Aggies.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
vegasaggie

Yossarian

Re: Well at least it's nice that we had a great year in one of the two revenue sports.

Post by Yossarian » January 21st, 2022, 10:39 am

On the bright side - women's gymnastics seems to be on the rise with many top performers underclass(wo)men.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
cdaAg

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggiealum13

Re: Well at least it's nice that we had a great year in one of the two revenue sports.

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 21st, 2022, 10:43 am

Yossarian wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 10:39 am
On the bright side - women's gymnastics seems to be on the rise with many top performers underclass(wo)men.
Overall sports at USU is trending up which is nice to see.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post (total 2):
aggies22cdaAg

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 21st, 2022, 10:45 am

It sucks to lose all of these close games. I'm really appreciative of how hard our guys play; I hope they'll get that winning edge back, but I don't think anyone wants to play our guys. They'll be in a battle for sure. I feel bad for the guys...I know they want to win. I think it is awesome how many fans continue to show up and support the team. It's been a tough season, but nothing even approaching what in the past I have referred to as a shameful season! Go Aggies! Keep fighting boys!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 4):
AngusAgvegasaggiecdaAgsignalwar

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2022, 10:48 am

If i had to choose I which sport had success it would be football any day of the week. The success they had this year still makes me numb thinking about it. I wish the basketball team was having that same type of year, but unfortunately it is not the case. It is hard to have both programs be really successful at the same time. Look at our conference mates with the exception of maybe SDSU none are having huge success (championships in both) in both revenue sports at the same time or have on a consistent basis

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2022, 10:51 am

newhouse9 wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 10:45 am
It sucks to lose all of these close games. I'm really appreciative of how hard our guys play; I hope they'll get that winning edge back, but I don't think anyone wants to play our guys. They'll be in a battle for sure. I feel bad for the guys...I know they want to win. I think it is awesome how many fans continue to show up and support the team. It's been a tough season, but nothing even approaching what in the past I have referred to as a shameful season! Go Aggies! Keep fighting boys!
My thoughts exactly. This aggie basketball team are full of (from my outsider view) what seem like high character guys. They play hard and you can tell they want nothing more than to have the roof go off the spectrum. They feel the pressure and play hard, but just cannot get over the hump. The results suck, but I don't have a hard time supporting or getting behind this team.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
AngusAgvegasaggiecdaAg

coolag

Post by coolag » January 21st, 2022, 11:07 am

newhouse9 wrote:
No one is saying "we don't want to play Utah State". Most are licking their chops.

Regulator of Class

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 21st, 2022, 11:22 am

newhouse9 wrote:
Yeah, I like the guys on the team and realize they are working hard and I like that they are high character guys. We need more balance on offense. Good post play and perimeter play like it was with Queta and Merrill. That formula will get us to places.

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » January 23rd, 2022, 9:31 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 11:22 am
newhouse9 wrote:
Yeah, I like the guys on the team and realize they are working hard and I like that they are high character guys. We need more balance on offense. Good post play and perimeter play like it was with Queta and Merrill. That formula will get us to places.
When you read our board, you realize we only like to support our teams when things are going well. Everything I'm seeing is a repeat of comments made over the last three years. How did those years turn out? Remember how terrible our Football team was after the Wyoming game? Food for thought....I don't visit the board that often, for good reason. Go Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 23rd, 2022, 10:39 am

Agezzz wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 9:31 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
When you read our board, you realize we only like to support our teams when things are going well. Everything I'm seeing is a repeat of comments made over the last three years. How did those years turn out? Remember how terrible our Football team was after the Wyoming game? Food for thought....I don't visit the board that often, for good reason. Go Aggies!
The people who post on this board support the team no matter what. People who spend a big chunk of their time on message boards aren't casual fans. Don't interpret criticism for lack of support. I was at every home game during 2007 when we didn't win a single home game in football. I cursed up a storm and was very critical of the program that year, but I was there supporting every step of the way. When the team beat NMSU to finally get a win I was screaming at the tv like we had won the Super Bowl. No fanbase is going to be 100% positive all the time nor should they be. If you accept losing, you'll be a loser.

coolag

Post by coolag » January 23rd, 2022, 12:01 pm

I happen to know that our programs are a direct reflection of this message board. It's true. Like really true.

Regulator of Class

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » January 23rd, 2022, 12:28 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 10:39 am
Agezzz wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
The people who post on this board support the team no matter what. People who spend a big chunk of their time on message boards aren't casual fans. Don't interpret criticism for lack of support. I was at every home game during 2007 when we didn't win a single home game in football. I cursed up a storm and was very critical of the program that year, but I was there supporting every step of the way. When the team beat NMSU to finally get a win I was screaming at the tv like we had won the Super Bowl. No fanbase is going to be 100% positive all the time nor should they be. If you accept losing, you'll be a loser.
That was deep! Thanks for explaining things to me based on your seemingly long life experience....Phew, I must have been completely wrong. LOL :thumbsup:

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 23rd, 2022, 12:45 pm

Agezzz wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 12:28 pm
Agezzz wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
That was deep! Thanks for explaining things to me based on your seemingly long life experience....Phew, I must have been completely wrong. LOL :thumbsup:
Do you expect fans to never be critical of a losing program? What is your definition of what makes a great fan?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 23rd, 2022, 1:22 pm

Welcome to USUFans.com, where we eat our own.

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » January 23rd, 2022, 1:38 pm

January 23rd, 2022, 12:45 pm
Agezzz wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
Do you expect fans to never be critical of a losing program? What is your definition of what makes a great fan?
Of course not! But you have to admit that 90% of the criticism is very childish, silly and immature. My definition of a great fan is someone who puts their money where their mouth is. For example, how many on this board actually donate money to the sports program? Or to the University for that matter. EVERYONE has $25.00 to donate...everyone! My opinion is that if you can afford 800.00 phones, and 200.00 phone bills, you can get off your cheap butts and donate. Our fan base is great at complaining behind a closed door like this board, but for some reason can't go to games and support the programs. I get distance and costs and families and all the rest. But why can Utah and BYU fans fill up their stadiums? I don't think Aggie Alums and Students are great supportive fans. We hate being the little brother, but deserve the name. We have a small FB stadium and a fairly small BB arena. We don't sell out FB and BB ever.....unless it's BYU. I guess I'm the odd one, but I've been living the life of an Aggie fan for a long time. I get tired of over the top negative posts. I'm quite close to the sports program and I'll leave it at that. I know than many players find the board very offensive. But, so be it. Go Aggies!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 23rd, 2022, 2:05 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 10:51 am
newhouse9 wrote:
My thoughts exactly. This aggie basketball team are full of (from my outsider view) what seem like high character guys. They play hard and you can tell they want nothing more than to have the roof go off the spectrum. They feel the pressure and play hard, but just cannot get over the hump. The results suck, but I don't have a hard time supporting or getting behind this team.
Does the conference give out a “Miss Congeniality” award?

coolag

Post by coolag » January 23rd, 2022, 2:12 pm

Agezzz wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 1:38 pm
Agezzz wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
Of course not! But you have to admit that 90% of the criticism is very childish, silly and immature. My definition of a great fan is someone who puts their money where their mouth is. For example, how many on this board actually donate money to the sports program? Or to the University for that matter. EVERYONE has $25.00 to donate...everyone! My opinion is that if you can afford 800.00 phones, and 200.00 phone bills, you can get off your cheap butts and donate. Our fan base is great at complaining behind a closed door like this board, but for some reason can't go to games and support the programs. I get distance and costs and families and all the rest. But why can Utah and BYU fans fill up their stadiums? I don't think Aggie Alums and Students are great supportive fans. We hate being the little brother, but deserve the name. We have a small FB stadium and a fairly small BB arena. We don't sell out FB and BB ever.....unless it's BYU. I guess I'm the odd one, but I've been living the life of an Aggie fan for a long time. I get tired of over the top negative posts. I'm quite close to the sports program and I'll leave it at that. I know than many players find the board very offensive. But, so be it. Go Aggies!
LOL

Regulator of Class

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 23rd, 2022, 2:23 pm

Agezzz wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
I would bet a good percentage of posters on here donate, at least if you go by what they say on here. I certainly respect where you are coming from and some posts do cross the line, but most negative posts are just fans venting their frustration after investing so much time, money and emotional capital into the team and university. They just want to see USU succeed. Our attendance issues has been something of big conversation on here, but it isn't the people who post on here that you have to worry about. The people who spend time on this message board are the fans who go to games as often as they possibly can.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 23rd, 2022, 2:31 pm

I think attendance issues are only going to get worse as time goes by. I have a son at USU right now and two that have attended in the past few years. I watch pretty much every football and basketball game i can (i live out of state). My older two boys have no interest in watching the Aggies - or sports of any kind, really. My son in school says it is difficult to find people to go to games with. There just isn't an interest in sports like this that there used to be. I would expect attendance and donations to decline in the future, rather than go up, when the last generation of sports fans starts to wane.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » January 23rd, 2022, 3:17 pm

January 23rd, 2022, 2:23 pm
Agezzz wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
I would bet a good percentage of posters on here donate, at least if you go by what they say on here. I certainly respect where you are coming from and some posts do cross the line, but most negative posts are just fans venting their frustration after investing so much time, money and emotional capital into the team and university. They just want to see USU succeed. Our attendance issues has been something of big conversation on here, but it isn't the people who post on here that you have to worry about. The people who spend time on this message board are the fans who go to games as often as they possibly can.
I don't argue with this. But I can tell you for a fact that the % of USU alums who donate to Sports and USU in general is EXTREMELY low. I can also agree that many on this board do donate, but statistically, percentage numbers are pretty much representative of the Alum population. Those numbers hold pretty true with attendance numbers as well. USU has a very strong but small number of alums that donate big dollars. I'm sure you know some of their names. But 25.00 x 50K alums, would sure be a big help. I'm sure someone will post a LOL on my comment. Have a good day!

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » January 23rd, 2022, 7:03 pm

Agezzz wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 3:17 pm
January 23rd, 2022, 2:23 pm
Agezzz wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
I don't argue with this. But I can tell you for a fact that the % of USU alums who donate to Sports and USU in general is EXTREMELY low. I can also agree that many on this board do donate, but statistically, percentage numbers are pretty much representative of the Alum population. Those numbers hold pretty true with attendance numbers as well. USU has a very strong but small number of alums that donate big dollars. I'm sure you know some of their names. But 25.00 x 50K alums, would sure be a big help. I'm sure someone will post a LOL on my comment. Have a good day!
LOL or not. Your posts are very accurate. I just don't like hate for each other. Just sort this great school. It's hard when they lose. But they sure work hard.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » January 23rd, 2022, 9:00 pm

aggiesdidwhat wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 7:03 pm
Agezzz wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 3:17 pm

LOL or not. Your posts are very accurate. I just don't like hate for each other. Just sort this great school. It's hard when they lose. But they sure work hard.
Can they do a Gofundme style campaign where everyone pledges toward a common goal? The whole $25 x 50k people would be more exciting if you could see it accumulating somewhere and check progress towards the goal.

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » January 24th, 2022, 6:56 am

I donate every year. Traveled to every home football game from Delta, UT for 3 year. That's 7 hours round trip. I do it because I love the aggies and loved my time there. I am personally soooo sick of all of the whining about how cheap our fan base is. It doesnt make you any more generous to call it out. It just turns people off. I'm amazed at how often everyone on Twitter blasts the students or fans when the stadium isn't full. Do your part and dont be whiny little B;tches!
These users thanked the author deltaaggie for the post (total 3):
AgliciousAngusAgsam tingey

lionhead

Post by lionhead » January 24th, 2022, 7:22 pm

deltaaggie wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 6:56 am
I donate every year. Traveled to every home football game from Delta, UT for 3 year. That's 7 hours round trip. I do it because I love the aggies and loved my time there. I am personally soooo sick of all of the whining about how cheap our fan base is. It doesnt make you any more generous to call it out. It just turns people off. I'm amazed at how often everyone on Twitter blasts the students or fans when the stadium isn't full. Do your part and dont be whiny little B;tches!
I'm sick of how cheap our fan base is too. Those whiny little B;tches! :scotsman: I drove from St George for 3 years to home games...that's a 14 hour round trip. :rock: Sorry, I never post, but this was too easy. I agree with Agezzz.

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » January 24th, 2022, 7:24 pm

lionhead wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 7:22 pm
deltaaggie wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 6:56 am
I'm sick of how cheap our fan base is too. Those whiny little B;tches! :scotsman: I drove from St George for 3 years to home games...that's a 14 hour round trip. :rock: Sorry, I never post, but this was too easy. I agree with Agezzz.
Rude but effective! I had to laugh.... :cheers:

Locked Previous topicNext topic