Officiating in the MW

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieDad

Officiating in the MW

Post by AggieDad » January 21st, 2022, 2:01 pm

Refs have a very difficult job. I give them a lot of leeway, often much to the disappointment of some of my family. First, they are not going to see everything. Stuff gets unnoticed. Second, trying to discern fouls in real time is extremely difficult. In fact, its not always conclusive even when slowed down and reviewed 10 times. Third, it's nice to have three refs covering the floor, but then one game can have three different standards being applied. However, anecdotally, my impression is that this year seems to be producing a lot of poorly called and managed games. The Refs, largely, just seem off their game this year. Consistency during a game is lacking, as is communication with coaches and players. Charges, which are by nature difficult to nail every time, seem unusually inconsistent, as well as post play fouls. Anyway, wondering if anyone else has noticed it? Thanks.
These users thanked the author AggieDad for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025aggies22cdaAg

AgsRock
Has thanked: 0

Re: Officiating in the MW

Post by AgsRock » January 21st, 2022, 2:16 pm

Amen. I have walked to my car complaining about the refs with my family more this year than any other year I can remember by a mile. Very inconsistent and out of position this year, they seem to be running up the tunnel at the end of each game. Games are choppy and disjointed really hard to deal with this year. I like you my Aggie Brother have a long leash for refs, having officiated high school basketball for years, it is a thankless job and hard to be prefect, however they have been noticeably bad more often than not this year.
These users thanked the author AgsRock for the post (total 2):
aggies22cdaAg

SLB

Post by SLB » January 21st, 2022, 2:30 pm

AgsRock wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 2:16 pm
Amen. I have walked to my car complaining about the refs with my family more this year than any other year I can remember by a mile. Very inconsistent and out of position this year, they seem to be running up the tunnel at the end of each game. Games are choppy and disjointed really hard to deal with this year. I like you my Aggie Brother have a long leash for refs, having officiated high school basketball for years, it is a thankless job and hard to be prefect, however they have been noticeably bad more often than not this year.
I feel that way, and I felt the refs were usually fair in the past. I expect in these days' bad calls everywhere with a favorite team getting almost all of the calls go their way with a few going the other way to claim that it was fair. I feel that refs in the big sports have gotten worse every year with a ref union of some sort doing whatever they want. Refs and no one in the sports have punished refs for being really bad and screwing the sport in reality. I remember the refs in both basketball and soccer caught betting on the game which might be happening with some of the games.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 21st, 2022, 2:47 pm

I think sometimes MWofficiating is on the level of Church ball , and I was a ref in church for several years..My favorite memory was reffing a game when we lived in Centerville. One of the teams had a former Aggie on it. He started complaining from the get go. Actually being very obnoxious. Early in the second half he disagreed with a charging call I made. He yelled out that I was doing a lousy job. I answered “ well at least I am reffing better than you are playing”. That seemed to settle things down.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 21st, 2022, 4:04 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 2:47 pm
I think sometimes MWofficiating is on the level of Church ball , and I was a ref in church for several years..My favorite memory was reffing a game when we lived in Centerville. One of the teams had a former Aggie on it. He started complaining from the get go. Actually being very obnoxious. Early in the second half he disagreed with a charging call I made. He yelled out that I was doing a lousy job. I answered “ well at least I am reffing better than you are playing”. That seemed to settle things down.
Dave Isaacson?

Locked Previous topicNext topic