Is the Spectrum Magic Dead?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

Is the Spectrum Magic Dead?

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 21st, 2022, 4:15 pm

There was another thread talking about how we keep losing in the Spectrum, but that quickly turned into a "we suck" thread, and not undeservedly so. This thread I wanted to ask a more heart-stabbing question. Is the Spectrum Magic dead?

Despite being a .500 team, we have had good student and alumni attendance at the games, including last night. In fact, I think the Hurd deserves a specific shoutout right now. They have done a great job this season. It's not a sold out student section, but it is fairly full, loud, and engaged. The front-rowers have done a good job leading cheers so they aren't too fast, they're intelligible, and often quite clever. I loved the "Daddy's Boy" cheer yesterday. The other fans deserve a shoutout too. Attendance has been good and people get on their feet and get loud when necessary.

In the late 2000's I remember going to games in the Spectrum and just assuming we would win, no matter the opponent. It was like the Spectrum crowd could will the team to victory. There was a rare loss, but if a game was close, the Spectrum would simply rattle players and we'd usually walk away with a win. This season has me shook. Opposing players are hitting huge shots late in the game with the crowd fully into the game. Boise was ice cold from three, then when the Spectrum was really rocking with a couple minutes left, they bury two of them, fairly well defended, like it's nothing. We used to have players dying at the free throw line. Sans Boise, teams are having the time of their lives shooting free throws at the Spectrum.

So is the Spectrum Magic dead? It sure feels like it. And I don't know that there is anything to do but blame Stan Albrecht and The Apology. If the Spectrum Magic dies, then I won't feel nearly so bad about a new building being built. I have a lot of memories in the Spectrum, and to me it is as much a college basketball sanctuary as any place in the country. I am of the opinion that we should never tear down, renovate, or change the Spectrum. But if Spectrum Magic is dead, then it's like the soul of the building has left, and all that remains is a hollow, noisy carcass where players can hit big shots at will.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
aggies22cdaAg

Hoot

Re: Is the Spectrum Magic Dead?

Post by Hoot » January 21st, 2022, 4:16 pm

Well I’m just gonna get us started early on this one. We suck.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2022, 4:32 pm

It's been dead for years. Aggie basketball used to be an EVENT. If you weren't a season ticket holder, it used to be tough to get tickets if you waited too long. Once the students stopped showing up and filling up their portion of their seating it was only a matter of time before the magic died.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0FloridaAggie13

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 21st, 2022, 6:41 pm

The Spectrum Magic is directly proportional to the quality of the home team.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21flying_scotsman2.0

Eutaw St. Aggie

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » January 21st, 2022, 6:51 pm

I blame the apology!
These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0FloridaAggie13Full

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » January 21st, 2022, 7:13 pm

A lot of it has to do with the level of competition, especially this year. The Big West and WAC other than Nevada and New Mexico St wasn’t as high quality as now
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 21st, 2022, 7:25 pm

But even in those Big West years, USU was beating ranked BYU and Utah teams in the Spectrum.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Eutaw St. Aggie

AmericanAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by AmericanAggie » January 21st, 2022, 7:54 pm

Yes definitely. "Spectrum Magic" was something that both elevated our teams while taking the opponents off their game. We routinely made the visiting stars look like rubbish. I agree with OP that every game felt like a game we were gonna win, and that invincible feeling required both team and crowd magic. I'd say since @CaptainChaos left, the magic just hasn't been there. Some years the team has had swagger and ability, and some years the crowd has been good (but honestly never up to the high standard that Faf and company set), but the perfect storm of crowd/player confidence, ability, and the shared desire to humiliate and destroy the other team just hasn't happened in too long.
These users thanked the author AmericanAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 21st, 2022, 8:06 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 6:41 pm
The Spectrum Magic is directly proportional to the quality of the home team.
To a point sure, but there have been less than stellar Aggie teams that were dominant at home.

Look at the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 Aggies. A mediocre two year stretch by Stew's high standards. Over that two year period USU only lost one home game while outside of the Spectrum USU lost 22. Their WAC home record over those two years was 15-1. Their road WAC record was 6-10. When the Spectrum was really humming I don't see us losing the type of games we lost this year. Over those two years, we found ways to win close games; buzzer beater against Utah, 1 pt last minute comeback win against Boise, overtime win against top 10 Nevada, etc. . . Now we find ways to lose those type of games.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0FloridaAggie13

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 21st, 2022, 8:07 pm

No, it isn't dead. It may go dormant at times, but it will revive. And I'll do my part. I'll keep buying season tickets and will keep showing up. The magic is still there, waiting to show itself. I hope to be there when it revives.

To that point, I think the banana suits and cardboard cutouts in section F don't help.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0GUS

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 21st, 2022, 8:35 pm

cdaAg wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 8:07 pm
No, it isn't dead. It may go dormant at times, but it will revive. And I'll do my part. I'll keep buying season tickets and will keep showing up. The magic is still there, waiting to show itself. I hope to be there when it revives.

To that point, I think the banana suits and cardboard cutouts in section F don't help.
You’re the man. But at least the banana boys are trying and showing up every single game. I’m good with that. Do whatever you gotta to distract their team
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
cdaAg

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2022, 8:57 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 8:35 pm
cdaAg wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 8:07 pm

You’re the man. But at least the banana boys are trying and showing up every single game. I’m good with that. Do whatever you gotta to distract their team
Those dudes are trying to do their own thing without being ripoffs of Wild Bill. I'm cool with it.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0cdaAg

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 21st, 2022, 9:14 pm

Spectrum Magic isn’t a building, it is the fans. If we don’t show up then it will die.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
cdaAg

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 21st, 2022, 9:20 pm

NVAggie wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 9:14 pm
Spectrum Magic isn’t a building, it is the fans. If we don’t show up then it will die.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 21st, 2022, 9:54 pm

It started with the apology. "Sorry our fans are so loud...shhh..."

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 22nd, 2022, 8:03 pm

cdaAg wrote:No, it isn't dead. It may go dormant at times, but it will revive. And I'll do my part. I'll keep buying season tickets and will keep showing up. The magic is still there, waiting to show itself. I hope to be there when it revives.

The banana boys are constantly urging the sections behind the visiting team to get up off there asses when we need to get loud. They are working there asses off down there to get people fired up IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post (total 4):
flying_scotsman2.0cdaAgFloridaAggie13sam tingey

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 22nd, 2022, 8:09 pm

It's hard to get people fired up when you shoot 25% from the field and have 6 minute scoring droughts

Eutaw St. Aggie

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » January 22nd, 2022, 8:50 pm

I have a question, .. does the mens team practice in the spectrum or the wayne estes center??

If it’s not in the spectrum then maybe they can change that.

There is absolutely no home court advantage with our shooters. How??

If they practiced shooting double the time they are now and in the spectrum I think we could see a good turn around offensively.

Also, the players need to get the crowd involved and try to feed off their energy, that is contageous. Seems also like many of the players were having fun at the beginning of the year, and that has been lost.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 22nd, 2022, 9:33 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 8:50 pm
I have a question, .. does the mens team practice in the spectrum or the wayne estes center??
I'm pretty sure they practice both places!

Locked Previous topicNext topic