Random idea (conferences)

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Random idea (conferences)

Post by BigBlueDart » November 19th, 2010, 2:53 pm

Saw this thought pop up and was just curious what everyone's reaction would be.

Keep the WAC together (or form some other league) which is football only, leaving all WAC members to find alternative homes for their other sports. SJSU could go Big West. We could go Big Sky, along with Idaho. Would we be better off staying in this deteriorating WAC for all sports, or would this be a viable alternative, specifically for basketball.

justinmorrey
Has thanked: 0

Re: Random idea (conferences)

Post by justinmorrey » November 19th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Not gonna happen

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » November 19th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Not saying it will. Please expound on your reasoning so as to encourage further discussion.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » November 19th, 2010, 3:40 pm

The Big Sky wouldn't work.

They don't sponsor the same sports that we have, so some our teams there would have to find other homes anyway.

I believe the Big Sky is an "all-or-nothing" conference and would not except us as "non-football" members. Does anyone have access to their conference code on this?

The perception and statistical reality of the Big Sky's position in the grand scheme of things would kill our basketball program's momentum. The only other team of note is Weber State. We struggled in the latest WAC version to place an at-large-bid. We would not get one in the Big Sky. We would be fighting it out with the Big West for the bottom rung in the top-20 conferences list.

While we may be deluding ourselves to a certain degree, there is value in at least pretending to be a level above conferences like the Big Sky and Big West. Fans, advertisers, and other funding sources like to be associated with a program on the rise, not a program moving down a competitive level. Please name one program you think Big Sky membership would benefit, and why.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 19th, 2010, 3:44 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:I believe the Big Sky is an "all-or-nothing" conference and would not except us as "non-football" members. Does anyone have access to their conference code on this?
They just added 2 football only members so I don't think that they're all or nothing.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » November 19th, 2010, 5:39 pm

I'm sure others may have had this same thought but I can understand being in a geographic conference like the WAC for revenue generating sports (football & men's basketball). But why not have all other sports compete in a tighter geographic conference. So for example, USU, Utah, BYU, Weber, Boise, Idaho State, & a couple of others would form a Utah/Idaho conference for all sports except men's basketball & football. The local rivalries might be as likely to increase interest in those sports and it would save athletic departments significant money for team travel. It may cost more to send the women's soccer team to Hawaii or Ruston once than all of the money the women's soccer team generates in ticket sales during the entire season. So form a Utah/Idaho conference for those sports and then keep the football/men's bb programs in their current respective conferences (or move USU to the MWC in football & men's bb). What do you think?

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 19th, 2010, 5:49 pm

I'd personally not miss the olympic sports at all. I don't think a sport that can't sustain itself should be paid for by the school or from the proceeds of other sports. Sorry, I'm not too interested in Utah State's cross country team or the womens soccer team. Bah Humbug! Football and Basketball make sense, baseball also makes sense for some schools, but other than that, field the two or three womens sports that Title 9 would dictate and make all the other teams club teams.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » November 19th, 2010, 5:54 pm

The NCAA requires a school to have a certain number of sponsored sports in order to play in a given division.

ChicagoAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by ChicagoAggie » November 19th, 2010, 6:46 pm

We might need to approach the WCC for all sports but football and try our luck at indy in football (or ask the WAC to take us as a football only school). As an indy, there would be 4 (6 now) other teams that we could contract with for a scheduling alliance. Add 2-3 MWC teams and a couple of other teams and we are set.

Honestly, I hate this sh*t. Our University has so much more to offer than just football and a media market. The money flowing for football has made intercollegiate sports a professional game.

rockandrolle
Been thanked: 0

Post by rockandrolle » November 19th, 2010, 6:53 pm

I seriously just got a little bit sick thinking about the real possibility of a scenario like this coming to pass....

Locked Previous topicNext topic