ASHWORTH scores 26 but......

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
spud

ASHWORTH scores 26 but......

Post by spud » February 2nd, 2024, 9:22 pm

Creighton loses on their home court again. Should have stayed home my friend! How do they continue to keep such a high ranking?

Sl7vk

Re: ASHWORTH scores 26 but......

Post by Sl7vk » February 2nd, 2024, 9:26 pm

spud wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 9:22 pm
Creighton loses on their home court again. Should have stayed home my friend! How do they continue to keep such a high ranking?
Money was good while it lasted. Time to get slotted into a desk job selling life insurance in Omaha now.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
AV8AG

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 2nd, 2024, 9:41 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 9:26 pm
spud wrote:
Money was good while it lasted. Time to get slotted into a desk job selling life insurance in Omaha now.
Mutual of Omaha?
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkAV8AG

Eutaw St. Aggie

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » February 2nd, 2024, 9:53 pm

We're still doing the "Ashworth should have stayed" thing when we're in the top-20 and he scores 26 points for the #13 team in the country?

He left a really good team for another really good team, and got a fat paycheck and a degree in the field he wants to go into out of it.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 12):
quirkytovlibluegrouseReal Life AggieFloridaAggie13gomretatFromLItoLoganToastedFlakes52newtonianbluePacobag and 2 more users

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 2nd, 2024, 9:56 pm

shoresy wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 9:53 pm
We're still doing the "Ashworth should have stayed" thing when we're in the top-20 and he scores 26 points for the #13 team in the country?

He left a really good team for another really good team, and got a fat paycheck and a degree in the field he wants to go into out of it.
Good points. Additionally we upgraded in the process.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 2nd, 2024, 9:59 pm

shoresy wrote:

What degree is he getting? Just curious.

I hold no ill will toward Ashworth. I wish he would’ve stayed. He would’ve played a significant role this year. Even more I wish Shulga had stayed. But we are currently on track to have the greatest season in the modern Aggie basketball era. Enjoy the ride, and let’s think about donating more to the collective.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » February 2nd, 2024, 10:04 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 9:59 pm
shoresy wrote:

I hold no ill will toward Ashworth. I wish he would’ve stayed. He would’ve played a significant role this year. Even more I wish Shulga had stayed. But we are currently on track to have the greatest season in the modern Aggie basketball era. Enjoy the ride, and let’s think about donating more to the collective.
Reportedly, he's going to Creighton's dental school. Obviously wasn't an option at Utah State.

And yes, I agree. We're having an unbelievable season and I'd rather have DBII than Ashworth.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 2nd, 2024, 10:08 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 9:41 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
spud wrote:
Mutual of Omaha?
Starring Marlin Perkins

These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
BearLakeMonsterFloridaAggie13

Eutaw St. Aggie

quirky

Post by quirky » February 2nd, 2024, 10:14 pm

shoresy wrote:

exactly. people just need to let it go, i think it looks pathetic at this point

he could've either transfered and made a couple hundred thousand and go to a bigger league with a coach that fits your playstyle, or he could've stayed, not made the money, stayed with a team where he currently had no teammates, and have to be with a coach that doesn't fit his playstyle at all

but on the downside, some people won't consider him an "aggie legend"
These users thanked the author quirky for the post (total 3):
bluegrouseReal Life Aggiegomretat

spud

Post by spud » February 2nd, 2024, 11:03 pm

I am not letting it go. I'm following this thing to the very end! I can't help myself.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » February 2nd, 2024, 11:09 pm

quirky wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 10:14 pm
shoresy wrote:

exactly. people just need to let it go, i think it looks pathetic at this point

he could've either transfered and made a couple hundred thousand and go to a bigger league with a coach that fits your playstyle, or he could've stayed, not made the money, stayed with a team where he currently had no teammates, and have to be with a coach that doesn't fit his playstyle at all

but on the downside, some people won't consider him an "aggie legend"
I have no ill will towards Steven. Things worked out best for both parties. Did he do enough to be considered an Aggie Legend? He was really good maybe I need to look at his numbers again.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » February 2nd, 2024, 11:14 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 10:08 pm
Yossarian wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 9:41 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
spud wrote:
Mutual of Omaha?
Starring Marlin Perkins

Not bad, but I think you meant this one:

These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
Yossarian

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 3rd, 2024, 7:21 am

shoresy wrote:
February 2nd, 2024, 10:04 pm
shoresy wrote:

Reportedly, he's going to Creighton's dental school. Obviously wasn't an option at Utah State.

And yes, I agree. We're having an unbelievable season and I'd rather have DBII than Ashworth.

Like he’s a first year dental student this year?? If he’s swinging both dental school and high level D1 basketball, he’s either a genius or he doesn’t need to sleep this year. Honestly, he always seemed like an MBA type of guy to me. Shoulda grad transferred to Harvard for that.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » February 3rd, 2024, 10:45 am

February 3rd, 2024, 7:21 am
shoresy wrote:
shoresy wrote:

Like he’s a first year dental student this year?? If he’s swinging both dental school and high level D1 basketball, he’s either a genius or he doesn’t need to sleep this year. Honestly, he always seemed like an MBA type of guy to me. Shoulda grad transferred to Harvard for that.
I don't have any actual knowledge on that, that's just what I remember reading on this board. But I can't ever recall anybody posting false information on here before, so it must be true.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 3rd, 2024, 10:52 am

I'm baffled as to why we begrudge these guys for taking the money and running, especially when, as adults, we know just how difficult it is to earn money in the 'real world'.

Someone paid him $250k to play basketball on their court, wearing their jersey. Make the same offer to me at that age and my only question would be, "...what time do you want me there...?"
Last edited by FloridaAggie13 on February 3rd, 2024, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 3rd, 2024, 11:01 am

I’m baffled why someone cares about what other posters care about and what they choose to post about.

The title was clear. If you don’t want to read another posters opinion, don’t click on a link that contains his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » February 3rd, 2024, 11:18 am

I really could give a $hit less as far as what Ashworth did/does. He is a BJ. I just hope that we get the opportunity to play the BJs in the NCAA Tourney.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 3rd, 2024, 11:23 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 10:52 am
I'm baffled as to why we begrudge these guys for taking the money and running, especially when, as adults, we know just how difficult it is to earn money in the 'real world'.

Someone paid him $250k to play basketball on their court, wearing their jersey. Make the same offer to me at that age and my only question would me, "...what time do you want me there...?"
They guy is free to follow the money. I am free to think he made a mistake and be slightly amused by it.

The guy could have had his name in the rafters at the Spectrum, instead he will be largely forgotten in Logan and Omaha. Though evidently he might be remembered a bit longer in Logan than in Omaha... :lol:

I also find it amusing that he left to be part of a top program, and USU is just as good as the team he joined this year.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

jprism

Post by jprism » February 3rd, 2024, 12:34 pm

shoresy wrote:
shoresy wrote:

I doubt he is doing dental school this year. He was in one of my business acumen classes last year that students take as a sophomore or junior. Unless he took a full year’s worth of summer classes last summer I don’t think he has his bachelors yet.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » February 3rd, 2024, 12:44 pm

To each their own. I’m not confident Ashworth would have gotten his name in the rafters and he may not even care much about that. I’m guessing we wouldn’t have picked up Javon if SA chose to stay. What kind of numbers would SA put up with the other guys we have now? I think he would have made us better, but I disagree with those who think he would easily have been one of the top 10 USU players of all-time. I’m not bothered by a discussion about a former Aggie. Some of us are curious to hear how he is doing. This is a fan forum and it seems appropriate to discuss players and fandom. It does feel like a few fans may take it a little personal like they got dumped by SA and they are bitter and want him to fail. That’s their choice. I personally think it’s a waste of time to be upset or want someone to fail because they decided to do what they felt was best for them.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
OKAggie

ghsaggie

Post by ghsaggie » February 3rd, 2024, 3:41 pm

jprism wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 12:34 pm
shoresy wrote:
shoresy wrote:

I doubt he is doing dental school this year. He was in one of my business acumen classes last year that students take as a sophomore or junior. Unless he took a full year’s worth of summer classes last summer I don’t think he has his bachelors yet.

He is 100% not in the dental school.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 3rd, 2024, 3:54 pm

2004AG wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 11:01 am
I’m baffled why someone cares about what other posters care about and what they choose to post about.

The title was clear. If you don’t want to read another posters opinion, don’t click on a link that contains his name.

Sorry, I thought this was a chat board where we are free to weigh in with whatever thoughts are rolling around in our head.

I'll check with you next time before posting.
Real Life Aggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 3rd, 2024, 4:09 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 11:23 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Someone paid him $250k to play basketball on their court, wearing their jersey. Make the same offer to me at that age and my only question would me, "...what time do you want me there...?"
They guy is free to follow the money. I am free to think he made a mistake and be slightly amused by it.

The guy could have had his name in the rafters at the Spectrum, instead he will be largely forgotten in Logan and Omaha. Though evidently he might be remembered a bit longer in Logan than in Omaha... :lol:

I also find it amusing that he left to be part of a top program, and USU is just as good as the team he joined this year.
Fast forward 25 years and looking back, I'd take the $250k over the possibility of having my jersey hung in the rafters. $250k helps pay for homes, cars and kids educations. Having my jersey in the rafters twenty-five years later might get me a free sandwich.
Pacobag

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 3rd, 2024, 4:12 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Ah, yes. The recurring "legend," "name in the rafters," etc. spiel all you anti-capitalists go on about.

His basketball abilities had an economic value. Rather than pay what his market value was, we said he should stick around anyway. When he left because someone agreed to compensate him accordingly, we pout and assert that a token gesture should have kept him around.

He isn't Sam Merrill (whose name isn't in the rafters, as far as I'm aware), and he isn't Jaycee. He was awesome for us, but his name wouldn't have been in the rafters, and he wouldn't have become an Aggie legend. He'd have been largely forgotten besides happy reminiscence, akin to Chris Smith, Spencer Butterfield, and Brian Green (all of whom had better single season 3pt% than Ashworth: https://usustats.com/records/season/3fgpercentage). He'd have been largely forgotten anyway. At least this way he gets to be largely forgotten with a largely increased wallet.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Pacobag

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 3rd, 2024, 4:23 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 4:12 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Ah, yes. The recurring "legend," "name in the rafters," etc. spiel all you anti-capitalists go on about.

His basketball abilities had an economic value. Rather than pay what his market value was, we said he should stick around anyway. When he left because someone agreed to compensate him accordingly, we pout and assert that a token gesture should have kept him around.

He isn't Sam Merrill (whose name isn't in the rafters, as far as I'm aware), and he isn't Jaycee. He was awesome for us, but his name wouldn't have been in the rafters, and he wouldn't have become an Aggie legend. He'd have been largely forgotten besides happy reminiscence, akin to Chris Smith, Spencer Butterfield, and Brian Green (all of whom had better single season 3pt% than Ashworth: https://usustats.com/records/season/3fgpercentage). He'd have been largely forgotten anyway. At least this way he gets to be largely forgotten with a largely increased wallet.
Mods. I would like to report this as a personal attack...

That cuts deep. I don't think there is a more offensive thing you could have called me...
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Real Life Aggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » February 3rd, 2024, 4:44 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 4:23 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

That cuts deep. I don't think there is a more offensive thing you could have called me...
You mean a good player, not an all time great, leveraged his playing career into a new career where he makes 500k a year and travels the world and hunts while an intern manages a few Mutual Funds? Rough life. Such a shame he couldn’t transfer to Omaha Nebraska for a cool MBA!
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 3rd, 2024, 4:44 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 4:23 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I recommend you recite 3 Hail Rockefellers while burning a Sacred Wallet of Cornelius Vanderbilt candle. That should be sufficient penance for your misstep.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » February 3rd, 2024, 5:48 pm

i hope that fake aggie loses every game

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » February 3rd, 2024, 5:52 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

his name never would have been in the rafters he sucked (I can't express myself without swearing) his first two years.
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 3rd, 2024, 7:01 pm

He had a decent shot at 2000 career points had he stayed, maybe he would have done it. But if you get 2000 points, your name gets put in the rafters.

Was he as good as Sam or Jaycee? Absolutely not. Could he have gotten to 2000 points? Yes he could have.(granted he would have had an extra year to do it.)

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » February 3rd, 2024, 7:12 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 7:01 pm
He had a decent shot at 2000 career points had he stayed, maybe he would have done it. But if you get 2000 points, your name gets put in the rafters.

Was he as good as Sam or Jaycee? Absolutely not. Could he have gotten to 2000 points? Yes he could have.(granted he would have had an extra year to do it.)
I would never go so far as to call you an AC.

It’s all speculation but whose minutes do you think he would be taking and what do you think his scoring average would be on this year’s team? I don’t doubt he may have made an all-time top 10 Aggie stat list or two, but unless he hit a couple of game winners to get us in the sweet 16, I doubt he would have made my top 25 all-time Aggie great list.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 3rd, 2024, 7:14 pm

I really like Ashworth. After Rylan went down, he was our best ballhandler and was a fairly effective defender when not too overly outmatched physically.

However, Ashworth wasn't going to get 2,000 points. His best year, last year, when Odom gave him the green light to shoot whenever he wanted and from wherever he wanted, he totaled 567 points. Right now, he only has 1200 points. If he had stayed, he wouldn't be getting starters minutes. Ashworth is a shooter, not a scorer. Jaycee, Sam, for example, were scorers. They were going to get twenty points + almost every game because they weren't one trick ponies from the three-point line.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 3rd, 2024, 7:18 pm

Pacobag wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 7:12 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 7:01 pm

I would never go so far as to call you an AC.

It’s all speculation but whose minutes do you think he would be taking and what do you think his scoring average would be on this year’s team? I don’t doubt he may have made an all-time top 10 Aggie stat list or two, but unless he hit a couple of game winners to get us in the sweet 16, I doubt he would have made my top 25 all-time Aggie great list.
There are certainly better players than Ashworth that wont get their jersey retired. I would probably have Ashworth in the top 15 to 20 players since the stew Morrill era. That does not change the fact that he had a legit shot at 2000 points, and think if he got 2000 points he probably gets his jersey retired.
Last edited by LarryTheAggie on February 3rd, 2024, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Pacobag

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 3rd, 2024, 7:19 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 7:14 pm
I really like Ashworth. After Rylan went down, he was our best ballhandler and was a fairly effective defender when not too overly outmatched physically.

However, Ashworth wasn't going to get 2,000 points. His best year, last year, when Odom gave him the green light to shoot whenever he wanted and from wherever he wanted, he totaled 567 points. Right now, he only has 1200 points. If he had stayed, he wouldn't be getting starters minutes. Ashworth is a shooter, not a scorer. Jaycee, Sam, for example, were scorers. They were going to get twenty points + almost every game because they weren't one trick ponies from the three-point line.
You don't think he could have gotten there in 2 years? Not saying he would have, but it certainly was a possibility.
Last edited by LarryTheAggie on February 3rd, 2024, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » February 3rd, 2024, 7:32 pm

I don't think he could have made it to 2000 pts because he would have flapped his arms so much they would have fallen off.
Always kinda of bugged me because he never did that when someone else did something. Struck me as as "hey, look at me" deal. But that's just me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic