Who do we lose??

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FeartheFro

Who do we lose??

Post by FeartheFro » March 16th, 2024, 11:56 am

Joining the crowd that has accepted that Sprinkle is gone, who else leaves with him or more accurately who does he want to take with him? Here is my WAG:
Great-gone
Martinez-gone
Udaje-gone
Johnson- 60/40 he stays
Templin- 40-60 he stays
Mason- 50/50 (pipe dream?)
Washington incoming freshman-gone
Idaho incoming freshman-gone
Phelps- no idea (does DS want him?)
Grant no idea (does DS want him?)
Jackson Grant - gone, neither here or Washington
Sahko- 70/30 he stays, gone if DS wants him.
Jackson- 80/20 stays unless DS wants him.
Burris- 80/20 stays unless DS wants him
Cox- gone
Barnes- stays

Where am I confused???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie4L1fe

Re: Who do we lose??

Post by Aggie4L1fe » March 16th, 2024, 11:59 am

Ya say sprinkle leaves. Our new coach is going to have to do something similar that danny did last year.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 16th, 2024, 2:33 pm

Again, everyone is soo fu*king pessimistic. Chill out! Even IF Sprinkle leave there's no guarantee our best guys will leave.

Great is going to declare for the draft, get feedback and return to USU. Martinez isn't going to go to a fourth school. Sprinkle doesn't utilize Johnson or Templin enough for them to be loyal. Plus Johnson apparently loves it here as does Falslev.

Udej and the pg from Oregon is likely gone. Wynot - who knows. The new coach needs to re recruit him HARD! He could be special.
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on March 16th, 2024, 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 2):
osuaggieToastedFlakes52

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 16th, 2024, 2:38 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:Again, everyone is soo fu*king pessimistic. Chill out!
I thought I was being optimistic putting Mason at 50/50!!

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
ChowderAggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 16th, 2024, 2:38 pm

Osobor, Johnson, Uduje, and Akbonpolo are gone. We have a chance at keeping the rest if we want them. 50/50 on Templin. Probably gone too.

Mason may stay if his dad gets involved.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 16th, 2024, 2:41 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 2:33 pm
Again, everyone is soo fu*king pessimistic. Chill out! Even IF Sprinkle leave there's no guarantee our best guys will leave.
I've been watching the Walking Dead lately. The NIL in college sports reminds me of the college sports world when the zombies start taking over. :lol:

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 16th, 2024, 2:42 pm

The incoming freshman would have to sit out a year not on scholarship if they go somewhere else right? Similar to why Phelps, Templin, etc just stayed and came here?

I think the only guys Sprinkle would take to Washington are Osobor, Max, Uduje, and Martinez

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 16th, 2024, 2:44 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 2:42 pm
The incoming freshman would have to sit out a year not on scholarship if they go somewhere else right? Similar to why Phelps, Templin, etc just stayed and came here?

I think the only guys Sprinkle would take to Washington are Osobor, Max, Uduje, and Martinez
I forgot about Martinez, but you should consider that Templin and Johnson would leave. A 7 footer like Johnson, just a sophomore, that can shoot the three is worth a hell of a lot.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 16th, 2024, 2:53 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Great is going to declare for the draft, get feedback and return to USU. Martinez isn't going to go to a fourth school. Sprinkle doesn't utilize Johnson or Templin enough for them to be loyal. Plus Johnson apparently loves it here as does Falslev.

Udej and the pg from Oregon is likely gone. Wynot - who knows. The new coach needs to re recruit him HARD! He could be special.
What about the state of college basketball these days (,unlimited transfers, NIL, money being thrown around, the coaching carousel, etc.) makes you optimistic that a school like USU can retain top talent and build on a successful team year after year? I think most people see the state of college sports for what it is - a bunch of mercenaries looking for playing time and a payday. If they don't get it in year one and don't see an primitive for the following year, they will look elsewhere. How many of the players on USUs team could even tell you what town the school is located in before they were recruited here? They don't care about USU, they just found a place to play. When they are done, they will move on and not give the school a second thought - especially those that will play for 2 or 3 or even 4 schools before they are done.

It is going to be a very rare thing to have a player stick at one location fur 4 years unless he has some strong attachment to the school and/or, isn't good enough to get a better offer and doesn't get recruited over.

This is the reality of college sports today. That's why people are pessimistic, or better said, realistic. USU will be in a constant state of rebuilding from here on.

Eutaw St. Aggie

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 16th, 2024, 2:54 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 2:44 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

I forgot about Martinez, but you should consider that Templin and Johnson would leave. A 7 footer like Johnson, just a sophomore, that can shoot the three is worth a hell of a lot.
Johnson came to USU independent of Sprinkle, and is from Utah. Lots of reasons for him to stick around at least

If he came here for more playtime I’m not sure it’s a great idea to go to the Big 10
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
osuaggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 16th, 2024, 2:55 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Does Johnson end up at BYU or Utah?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » March 16th, 2024, 2:56 pm

Contrary to doom sayers here, Sprinkle stays. UW is also going after Rice and Alford. IMHO he would not be smart to go to UW. Why: conference instability, excessive travel, leaving a very stable conference, very major increase in media pressure., he would have most of a good team returning. He also got a major increase in pay, with more coming.

I look for him to stay at least until a better job than that opens in a year or 2.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 16th, 2024, 2:57 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 2:55 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Does Johnson end up at BYU or Utah?
Could be YBU, but I think he follows Sprinkle.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 16th, 2024, 3:42 pm

Of the current players I think Sprinkle would only take Ian, Mason and Great but the others could end up elsewhere depending on who the new coach is. Does Ian wanna go to his 4th school? Does Mason wanna be like Ike and be the hometown legend? Johnsons stays unless the new coach doesn't want him.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 16th, 2024, 3:57 pm

I would say Great gone, Martinez 50/50 pending on Andy Hill. Mason, Johnson, Udeje all stay.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
cval

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 16th, 2024, 3:59 pm

Seems like there is a possibility that Andy Hill sticks around as the head guy if Sprinkle does leave. In that case I got to imagine we keep a decent group of guys, including Ian, which would be huge.

Not saying that Hill will or should be the guy but that he MIGHT. Also certainly not saying that we should hire Hill for the purpose of keeping guys around. (If Hill is the best guy than hire him, and if guys stick around for him that would be a nice benefit)

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » March 16th, 2024, 4:05 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

The nature of the game has changed since the NIL has started. People will stay only if we pay them enough. There is no such thing as school pride anymore.

Last year the players stated often how close they were as a team during the season and they all left. This isn’t pessimism, it’s realism.

I don’t expect any of them to come back.
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13trevordude

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 16th, 2024, 4:08 pm

Dwigt wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 4:05 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

The nature of the game has changed since the NIL has started. People will stay only if we pay them enough. There is no such thing as school pride anymore.

Last year the players stated often how close they were as a team during the season and they all left. This isn’t pessimism, it’s realism.

I don’t expect any of them to come back.
Agreed but outside of Great, I don't see a lot of our guys making big NIL money. Mason maybe but he is in a unique position to make more than anyone else staying home.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieMetsJetsAggies

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » March 16th, 2024, 4:17 pm

Wynot will be recruited by Boise St. But what will he do???

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » March 16th, 2024, 4:48 pm

You guys can thank me later when he stays.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 16th, 2024, 4:55 pm

I think Brenchley stays.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 16th, 2024, 4:56 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:

I don’t think anyone has to sit any longer when transferring.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 16th, 2024, 5:00 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 4:56 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

It’s a little different than a transfer though.

What’s the point of signing an NLI? Wouldn’t they become meaningless?

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 16th, 2024, 5:06 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 5:00 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Even if you are correct MJA, someone will take it to court and the NCAA will throw their hands up and say "Whatever".

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 16th, 2024, 5:07 pm

BobWilson wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 4:17 pm
Wynot will be recruited by Boise St. But what will he do???
Sounded like Bosie fans were saying his position already has a lot of depth and they would rather use the scholarship elsewhere.

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 16th, 2024, 5:08 pm

I didn't think Danny was going to leave. But the fact that they put a massive extension in front of him and he hasn't signed speaks louder than anything else. I've accepted that he's gone.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionChowderAggieGameFAQSAggie

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 16th, 2024, 5:19 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 5:08 pm
I didn't think Danny was going to leave. But the fact that they put a massive extension in front of him and he hasn't signed speaks louder than anything else. I've accepted that he's gone.
I have no idea what he is doing but why sign it before the season is over. They aren't going to take it off the table. No reason to sign now.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
cval

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 16th, 2024, 6:06 pm

TrueAG wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 5:19 pm
shoresy wrote:
I have no idea what he is doing but why sign it before the season is over. They aren't going to take it off the table. No reason to sign now.
Why did SDSU’s Durtcher sign?

It provides an infusion of energy into the program.

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 16th, 2024, 6:27 pm

TrueAG wrote:
shoresy wrote:
To prove to your team that you're invested. That's why it was offered to him before the season is over. Want to put the Washington rumors to bed and quiet the noise? Sign on the dotted line.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionAggie formerly in Hawaii

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 16th, 2024, 6:44 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 6:06 pm
TrueAG wrote:
shoresy wrote:
Why did SDSU’s Durtcher sign?

It provides an infusion of energy into the program.
Because Dutcher is going to retire there and has no plans to move up.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 16th, 2024, 6:46 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 6:27 pm
TrueAG wrote:
shoresy wrote:
To prove to your team that you're invested. That's why it was offered to him before the season is over. Want to put the Washington rumors to bed and quiet the noise? Sign on the dotted line.
Then we make a sweet 16 run and Michigan overs him 25 million and then what. Most ambitious people like as many options as possible.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 16th, 2024, 6:51 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

They already are really. The ncaa gave up on fighting sitting out for a second transfer. As long as you can enter the portal you can leave.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 16th, 2024, 8:47 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 5:06 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Even if you are correct MJA, someone will take it to court and the NCAA will throw their hands up and say "Whatever".
Maybe players will go through a few different schools each year. If they don't like the way things are going in January at Bum FK U., they transfer over to its biggest competitor who has a line on a three seed in March.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 16th, 2024, 8:49 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

That's true but he also went to Oregon and hated it and wanted to get away from there. I think he stays. I think Mason would stay at least I hope he would.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 16th, 2024, 8:51 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:

What's different from transferring versus signing an NLI and having to stay?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic