Next Contract

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
2004AG

Next Contract

Post by 2004AG » March 25th, 2024, 12:54 pm

Hear me out, I think we should pick our top 3-4 favorites and as long as they are all equally qualified and we would be essentially splitting hairs, why not go with who would agree to the highest buyout and also agree to a game in the spectrum on their new team ? Let’s be real, a 5 million buyout wouldn’t have stopped Washington, but it would be nice to have a couple extra million for the athletic department.

(No im not saying to pick a crappy coach just because they would agree to a higher buyout)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 4):
AggieFBObsessionAggie840253rdGenAggieAngusAg

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: Next Contract

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:02 pm

I like it.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:04 pm

80 million dollar buyout.

(I can't express myself without swearing) off power conference (I can't express myself without swearing)!

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:05 pm

Someone else mentioned it. For $900K (roughly), we get an outright Regular Season MWC Championship, an NCAA tournament win, and about $3M to $3.5M. That is a great ROI.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieforlifeViAggie

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 25th, 2024, 1:06 pm

If we go off something like this it’ll be miles of Simon. Both want to be here BADLY and would undercut any offer to get it.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 25th, 2024, 1:09 pm

FootballAgg wrote:If we go off something like this it’ll be miles of Simon. Both want to be here BADLY and would undercut any offer to get it.
Simon it is then.

This gives these slick talking coaches the opportunity to put their money where their mouth is.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
AggieFBObsession

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 25th, 2024, 1:20 pm

They all have agents who do the negotiating. I think our buyout conditions are consistent with other schools in our category. Would love to make it more but I have no interest in scaring off a coach we really want.

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:21 pm

gomretat wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 1:20 pm
They all have agents who do the negotiating. I think our buyout conditions are consistent with other schools in our category. Would love to make it more but I have no interest in scaring off a coach we really want.
Doesn’t matter. They’ll just leave anyway.

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 25th, 2024, 1:23 pm

You can't just arbitrarily pick a buyout number without it potentially turning into an unenforceable penalty provision, which is why it is almost always the remaining balance on the contract since the parties can agree to that amount of damages. Want a higher buyout, offer the next coach $2 million per year like we were going to give Sprinkle.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:23 pm

The more I think about it the more I want Andy Hill. He could keep a few guys here and he wouldn't be able to jump after one season as I don't think the P5s come calling after 1 season overall of being a head coach. Hill knows what he has here and knows what he can make if he is successful. If I'm Hill I tell Diana I'll take a cut from Sprinkle's salary but want escalators in my contract that would get him to the $2M if he is vey successful. I've heard Martinez is loyal to Hill but even without it shows that Hill is a good recruiter and can fill in the gaps that we need.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 25th, 2024, 1:27 pm

I would prefer to stick with the proven formula of a head coach with a prove track record of turning lower level programs around. Not that interested in an assistance. Also today, you almost need to hire a head coach so he has players to bring with him.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
Intermeddler

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 25th, 2024, 1:33 pm

gomretat wrote:They all have agents who do the negotiating. I think our buyout conditions are consistent with other schools in our category. Would love to make it more but I have no interest in scaring off a coach we really want.
That’s why I specifically said the 3-4 coaches would all need to be essentially equals.

Then take the one who’s agrees to the highest buyout.

Sure If Bill Self wants the job, we just take any buyout.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:34 pm

GeoAg wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 1:27 pm
I would prefer to stick with the proven formula of a head coach with a prove track record of turning lower level programs around. Not that interested in an assistance. Also today, you almost need to hire a head coach so he has players to bring with him.
On the players note. I agree but is it better to have a coach who can retain players on your team or a coach who can bring new players with them? I think it is the same. Having said that, I don't know if any current players would stay if Hill was the coach over anyone else. I think that is an interview question though, who will you bring with you or who can you convince to stay if you are the new head coach? Should be easier with your own players as you could ask them directly what their disposition is on retaining an assistant or getting a new coach.

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 25th, 2024, 1:39 pm

Whoever it is, however we structure the contract, i pray we put some serious (I can't express myself without swearing) emphasis on loyalty. Whether it’s buyout, whether it’s pressure from the fanbase, I want accountability.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 25th, 2024, 1:40 pm

Gotta put the home and home clause in there as well. Done a world of good for VCU as they churn coaches.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 25th, 2024, 2:02 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 1:23 pm
The more I think about it the more I want Andy Hill. He could keep a few guys here and he wouldn't be able to jump after one season as I don't think the P5s come calling after 1 season overall of being a head coach. Hill knows what he has here and knows what he can make if he is successful. If I'm Hill I tell Diana I'll take a cut from Sprinkle's salary but want escalators in my contract that would get him to the $2M if he is vey successful. I've heard Martinez is loyal to Hill but even without it shows that Hill is a good recruiter and can fill in the gaps that we need.
Which guys do you realistically think Hill could retain? I would guess Josh/Great are following Haslam if he goes with Sprinkle. I could see Hill retaining Ian.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic