Is anyone else somewhat .. empty, about this team and the tournament win?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Detroit-Aggie

Is anyone else somewhat .. empty, about this team and the tournament win?

Post by Detroit-Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 10:42 pm

Had you told be back when I was a senior at USU (2011) that in 2024, the basketball team would be playing in the MWC, would win the division, win a tournament game, and spend much of the year nationally ranked - I would've been over the moon about that!

But I'm not. I'm pretty indifferent about that.

I feel detached from Aggie hoops this year. I got excited about the tournament games, but this wasn't a basketball team I cared about. Maybe because I graduated 13 years ago and live half-way across the country now, but I think it's situational to this team. I loved Sam Merrill and Neemy ... and Brock, and Bean... like I remember these guys years later. I'll probably remember them in a decade like I do Jaycee, Gary, Tai, Quayleman and his rebounds, Moore...

This year? This wasn't an Aggie basketball team. I respect them all as talented players, but they were not Aggies.

Osobor is NBA talent, but he's a Bobcat and will finish his college career in Washington. Darius? He's a 6th year senior - I'm happy he spent that one year here. Martinez? I'm happy he got a chance to shine this year; Maryland wouldn't give him a shot. Mason could've been an Aggie, but the rumors are suggesting transfer portal. I won't remember these names next year - maybe Osobor. I never felt attached to this team. None of them were here last year, most of them will be gone next year. The coach? Sparkle or whatever? He was great. We're a bullet point on his resume. He's a bullet point in Utah State basketball history for winning a round-of-64 game. It's a successful business transaction with no hard feelings.

It was a fun year, but it felt like a merc team got us a season trophy and shook the tournament curse off our backs. I guess that's all positive, but I'm indifferent and looking more forward to seeing USU rebuild an actual Aggie program. Or maybe with the transfer portal and coaching carousel, that's not a thing anymore.
Last edited by Detroit-Aggie on March 25th, 2024, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Detroit-Aggie for the post (total 2):
Blue SageAngusAg

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Is anyone else somewhat .. empty, about this team and the tournament win?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 25th, 2024, 10:43 pm

Nope. I've watched that TCU game 3 times. I'll be forever grateful to Sprink and this team for breaking through.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 11):
StanfordAggiebrossp24Aggie formerly in Hawaiibigblue32aggieguy13stwinwardbluegrouseSection_L_AggieAndroidAggievalleyaggie21 and one more user

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 10:45 pm

Yeah, I think Sprinkle leaving might be coloring your view of the season. I still remember the 2012 football season as the best football season of my lifetime, not the season where Coach Andersen left.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiihipsterdoofus21

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 25th, 2024, 10:47 pm

I look at it is quality over quantity. A high quality of the ONE year we had him for over quantity of years, even if they are good years, good enough to get poached by someone but only come with NCAA one and dones.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 25th, 2024, 10:47 pm

Nope this year was awesome. Probably my favorite as an Aggie fan. Even in the Merrill/queta years we had some bad losses including to ybu both times and didn't win in the tournament (we would have in 2020, but it didn't happen). Sucks to keep losing coaches and losing one after one year sucks. I get the frustration, but it doesn't change the great season we just had.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 25th, 2024, 10:49 pm

It’d be nice if a few of the players stick around next year so it doesn’t feel like a total merc job, but either way, we needed to win that tourney game and it still feels great, notwithstanding the (I can't express myself without swearing) that was the following game and the coach leaving the next day.

But like c’mon. At least a couple of dudes need to stick around, right? I hope people are just being hyperbolic when they say no one will be back.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 25th, 2024, 10:51 pm

I"m starting to feel that way about College Sports in general...Aggies not just yet
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post:
Blue Sage

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 10:53 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:45 pm
Yeah, I think Sprinkle leaving might be coloring your view of the season. I still remember the 2012 football season as the best football season of my lifetime, not the season where Coach Andersen left.
Yeah, but Coach Andersen built that team. Sure there were some Brent Guy.. guys.. but Gary built them. That was his team, and they were all Aggies. Gary got that tattoo even. Sparky brought a couple great players, recruited some ballers, won a bunch of games and moved on. He wasn't an Aggie.
These users thanked the author Detroit-Aggie for the post:
Blue Sage

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 10:54 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:47 pm
Nope this year was awesome. Probably my favorite as an Aggie fan. Even in the Merrill/queta years we had some bad losses including to ybu both times and didn't win in the tournament (we would have in 2020, but it didn't happen). Sucks to keep losing coaches and losing one after one year sucks. I get the frustration, but it doesn't change the great season we just had.
I get it. It was a great season and I'm not trying to say that it wasn't. I will like the 2023-24 season for the statistical validation it gives Aggie hoops for being a good program. I simply won't remember any of these names or feel like any of them were ever Aggies. They were a college team playing under the Aggie banner in the Spectrum.
Blue Sage

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 25th, 2024, 10:57 pm

Do you think the Blue bloods that lose all their guys to one and done to the NBA hate their runs and championships? Ever year is new and exciting.

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » March 25th, 2024, 10:57 pm

I’m happy with the tournament win but find myself feeling the similar. I came to love the guys on this team but them leaving after 1 year will definitely make me more hesitant to get on board in the future.

Everyone says to cheer for the jersey, but I’ve tried that with the NFL and am at the point where I only watch 3-4 games a year. It just doesn’t grab me the same way as cheering for one coach and a group of players for multiple years does. I’ll try to care next year but we’ll see how it goes.
These users thanked the author CastIronAggie for the post:
ChowderAggie

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 11:03 pm

Detroit-Aggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:53 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Yeah, but Coach Andersen built that team. Sure there were some Brent Guy.. guys.. but Gary built them. That was his team, and they were all Aggies. Gary got that tattoo even. Sparky brought a couple great players, recruited some ballers, won a bunch of games and moved on. He wasn't an Aggie.
Yeah, I'm a little confused here. Gary Andersen built his team... As opposed to Sprinkle, he simply inherited a bunch of amazing players? :headscratch:
Detroit-Aggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:54 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:47 pm
I get it. It was a great season and I'm not trying to say that it wasn't. I will like the 2023-24 season for the statistical validation it gives Aggie hoops for being a good program. I simply won't remember any of these names or feel like any of them were ever Aggies. They were a college team playing under the Aggie banner in the Spectrum.
I can guarantee that I will remember Darius Brown for the rest of my life. I still remember a one-year player named Chaz Spicer, and I'm pretty sure that Brown saved our tail ends in crunch time even more times than Spicer did.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiibluegrouse

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » March 25th, 2024, 11:05 pm

Nah this one goes down as an all timer. Idgaf who is coaching here or playing here next year as it relates to this season.

This season is the single greatest season in modern Aggie basketball and quite frankly it’s not particularly close.
These users thanked the author bigblue32 for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21Section_L_Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 25th, 2024, 11:05 pm

Darius Brown hit the biggest shot in the spectrum and the win over new Mexico might be my favorite game I ever attended. Don't know how anyone can forget this season
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
bigblue32hipsterdoofus21Section_L_Aggie

ToastedFlakes52

Post by ToastedFlakes52 » March 25th, 2024, 11:14 pm

The three at the end of the New Mexico game by Darius might be my personal favorite Aggie moment of all-time. This year was still incredibly fun. Today is rough, we just got blown out and our coach left again. But two days ago, we were all feeling over the moon and anything but "empty". That still happened, and I know I will look back fondly on the moments this season gave us.
These users thanked the author ToastedFlakes52 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 11:44 pm

All fair critique. I'm probably being overly critical after the double dose of disappointment. It was a fun season, but for me it wasn't one of the more memorable ones. I guess that's all subjective and my perspective in it is uncommon. Don't let that ruin the fun you had watching this very talented team. Watching them continue pulling ahead during that TCU game was genuinely fun!
hipsterdoofus21

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 26th, 2024, 12:00 am

I’m feeling pretty empty tonight from the roller coaster we have all been on, especially since we knew ahead of time how the ride would end.

Knowing this was our last time with Sprinkle and the team, I’m glad I spent an insane (for me) $1,400 on two front row seats to the New Mexico game. Even though the rent-a-team concept worked this year, I believe it will be a long time before we experience a year and final home game like we just enjoyed.

This is a good time for Chowder to retire. Please don’t let Gus talk you into raising student fees. :nono:

:cheers:
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 26th, 2024, 12:12 am

I absolutely loved this team. Was all in on them. Darius Brown is one of my all-time favorite players. And of our last 4 coaches, I’ve liked Sprinkle best by quite a large margin. It sucks that he’s leaving and that we will likely lose a lot of our best players. That stings. But I will always remember this year and these players fondly. I also wish Danny success and will follow his career which I can’t say for his two predecessors.

Onto the chapter…

Go Aggies!

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 26th, 2024, 12:49 am

The Purdue game and impending exodus does put a bit of a damper on a great season and tournament win.

It was certainly fun, just sucks it ended so poorly and have no clue who will even be on the roster next year.

I don’t think your problem is with the guys who were Aggies this past season, but with college sports in general becoming such a financial free for all.

I believe players should get compensated fairly, I don’t think the way they did it is fair or good for the sport. Would’ve preferred a scenario where excess profits went into an endowment/pension like system for players, and NIL was capped at like 40k/yr for players. Guarantee them X/dollars a month for 10 years or something as they find their feet in the real world post college. The current system is and will consistently be a (I can't express myself without swearing) show that will eventually diminish fan interest
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post (total 2):
NEAggieFloridaAggie13

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » March 26th, 2024, 2:56 am

Detroit-Aggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:42 pm
Had you told be back when I was a senior at USU (2011) that in 2024, the basketball team would be playing in the MWC, would win the division, win a tournament game, and spend much of the year nationally ranked - I would've been over the moon about that!

I feel detached from Aggie hoops this year. I got excited about the tournament games, but this wasn't a basketball team I cared about. Maybe because I graduated 13 years ago and live half-way across the country now, but I think it's situational to this team. I loved Sam Merrill and Neemy ... and Brock, and Bean... like I remember these guys years later. I'll probably remember them in a decade like I do Jaycee, Gary, Tai, Quayleman and his rebounds, Moore...

This year? This wasn't an Aggie basketball team. I respect them all as talented players, but they were not Aggies.

Osobor is NBA talent, but he's a Bobcat and will finish his college career in Washington. Darius? He's a 6th year senior - I'm happy he spent that one year here. Martinez? I'm happy he got a chance to shine this year; Maryland wouldn't give him a shot. Mason could've been an Aggie, but the rumors are suggesting transfer portal. I won't remember these names next year - maybe Osobor. I never felt attached to this team. None of them were here last year, most of them will be gone next year. The coach? Sparkle or whatever? He was great. We're a bullet point on his resume. He's a bullet point in Utah State basketball history for winning a round-of-64 game. It's a successful business transaction with no hard feelings.

It was a fun year, but it felt like a merc team got us a season trophy and shook the tournament curse off our backs. I guess that's all positive, but I'm indifferent and looking more forward to seeing USU rebuild an actual Aggie program. Or maybe with the transfer portal and coaching carousel, that's not a thing anymore.
Well said. Those days are gone.
These users thanked the author AngusAg for the post:
Detroit-Aggie

Chatman

Post by Chatman » March 26th, 2024, 5:52 am

Detroit-Aggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
I think we will have to get used to that formula. It’s the new reality of college sports. That is the winning formula now and sometimes I think it’s just time to embrace it because it ain’t going back to the way it used to be.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 26th, 2024, 8:59 am

Chatman wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 5:52 am
Detroit-Aggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
I think we will have to get used to that formula. It’s the new reality of college sports. That is the winning formula now and sometimes I think it’s just time to embrace it because it ain’t going back to the way it used to be.
Or not. Setting the expectation of losing all the coaches AND players every year is a no go. Doesn’t work. Time for some innovation to move to a better solution. Losing coaches is one thing but loosing the team too is just too much. It leads to cheering for mediocrity and empty gyms with no exposure for fear of being gutted EVERY year.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
Detroit-Aggie

#hornsup!

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 26th, 2024, 9:06 am

Not empty. The tournament win is still a really big deal. Would just like to keep a coach for once.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » March 26th, 2024, 9:09 am

I graduated from USU almost 20 years ago and live on the other side of the country from Logan, Utah; and I will forever remember and be grateful for this team.

On a completely unrelated note, I absolutely love Detroit!
These users thanked the author Heisenberg for the post (total 3):
Detroit-AggieAggiefan33StanfordAggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 26th, 2024, 9:11 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:59 am
Chatman wrote:
Detroit-Aggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Or not. Setting the expectation of losing all the coaches AND players every year is a no go. Doesn’t work. Time for some innovation to move to a better solution. Losing coaches is one thing but loosing the team too is just too much. It leads to cheering for mediocrity and empty gyms with no exposure for fear of being gutted EVERY year.
The new reality is when you lose a coach, you are going to lose a good chunk of the players

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 26th, 2024, 9:12 am

I get what you are saying but for me I loved this team. Watching them go from unknowns to a team was a blast. Their success made it that much better. To say they aren't Aggies to me is a bit short sighted. Even if for only one season they put on the Blue and White and represented the school and Aggie basketball very well.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 26th, 2024, 9:12 am

Detroit-Aggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:42 pm

I get the sentiment, and I think for me the biggest change was not getting to go to any home games after moving cross country last fall. I just didn't get that connection with the team like I would have if like the 20 years prior I'd gone to every game I could. Don't get me wrong - loved the team and the season, but the same connection just wasn't quite there for me.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 26th, 2024, 9:14 am

Heisenberg wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:09 am
I graduated from USU almost 20 years ago and live on the other side of the country from Logan, Utah; and I will forever remember and be grateful for this team.

I can attest to Detroit being a very underrated city, and having lived it the west, PNW, and DC. Detroit is my favorite place I have lived. Okay, cache Valley is better than Detroit, but Detroit is better than Salt Lake.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
Detroit-AggieHeisenberg

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 9:15 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:11 am
Blue Sage wrote:
Chatman wrote:
Detroit-Aggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
The new reality is when you lose a coach, you are going to lose a good chunk of the players
And when we lose a coach ever three, two, or uh.. every.. year, how am I supposed to feel attached to that team? Of course I want to see Utah State basketball win, but for me a big part of it was these were Aggies, like me!

I don't know. Feels like college sports aren't the same anymore. They're semi-pro sports with a larger disparity in talent levels where talent moves on up, and USU is a stop along the way. How am I supposed to ever feel the same about this as I did pre-2020 college sports?

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 9:20 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:14 am
Heisenberg wrote:

I can attest to Detroit being a very underrated city, and having lived it the west, PNW, and DC. Detroit is my favorite place I have lived. Okay, cache Valley is better than Detroit, but Detroit is better than Salt Lake.
Haha, tough to compare a metro of 4.5 million to one of 140,000, but it's a good city and region. It's fun when friends from Utah visit, expecting the Detroit of 2010 to still be around and they are all like, "Whoa, what's with this metropolitan city and why is everything so affordable?" :shock:

It's home. I do miss Cache Valley (and SLC) - especially easy access to Aggie games (you have no Idea how badly I wanted them to win Sunday so they could play here!!), but I'm a Michigander at this point.
LarryTheAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 26th, 2024, 9:21 am

Detroit-Aggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:15 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:11 am
Blue Sage wrote:
Chatman wrote:
Detroit-Aggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
And when we lose a coach ever three, two, or uh.. every.. year, how am I supposed to feel attached to that team? Of course I want to see Utah State basketball win, but for me a big part of it was these were Aggies, like me!

I don't know. Feels like college sports aren't the same anymore. They're semi-pro sports with a larger disparity in talent levels where talent moves on up, and USU is a stop along the way. How am I supposed to ever feel the same about this as I did pre-2020 college sports?
Maybe you won't. It is just entertainment at the end of the day. If it isn't giving you the same joy it once did, you can check out and do other things. I think I'll always love Aggie sports as I have my whole life, but we never know what the future will bring. The ride this year was awesome even with a short term coach and short term players

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » March 26th, 2024, 9:34 am

With the new NIL landscape I think we are all going to have to get used to "transactional" teams and coaches. Particularly for basketball as there are a small number of players and they can now follow their coach wherever he goes.

That said for me this year was an incredible surprise as far as success and I had a lot of fun seeing all those wins stack up. :-)

And unless you win the national tournament (or the season gets cancelled - go SAM!) it always ends with a loss.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » March 26th, 2024, 9:47 am

Detroit-Aggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:20 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:14 am
Heisenberg wrote:

Haha, tough to compare a metro of 4.5 million to one of 140,000, but it's a good city and region. It's fun when friends from Utah visit, expecting the Detroit of 2010 to still be around and they are all like, "Whoa, what's with this metropolitan city and why is everything so affordable?" :shock:

It's home. I do miss Cache Valley (and SLC) - especially easy access to Aggie games (you have no Idea how badly I wanted them to win Sunday so they could play here!!), but I'm a Michigander at this point.
Detroit-Aggie, I am also a Gonzaga grad, so my dream matchup in Detroit (the city I was in when the Aggies won their last NCAA tourney game prior to last week) would have been absolutely amazing. I already told my wife we were going to go if USU had won (which, I knew was unlikely). But, man, how cool would it have been!
These users thanked the author Heisenberg for the post (total 2):
Detroit-AggieLarryTheAggie

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » March 26th, 2024, 9:51 am

Really enjoyed watching this team this season. They played a brand of basketball that was fun to watch and they were easy to cheer for.
A bunch of us in Section S had a great time.
Did not like the ending but nothing lasts forever. Enjoy the now, at the time. Nothing promised or guaranteed.
See you next season!

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » March 26th, 2024, 10:25 am

when i watch the aggies play, i feel such a strong sense of personal affinity. they're our guys. those are our colors. that's our house. i'm calling these guys by their names as though they're in my circle and part of my crew.

even if it was never like that with the teams of the past, i still think of tai wesley, pooh williams, desmond pinegar, gary wilkinson, jaycee carroll, nate harris, spencer nelson, cass matheus, and jared quayle as my guys.

if i feel empty, it's because my beloved school won a tournament game - which is really cool and a rare thing! - but the guys i wanted to be proud of for doing that for us aren't part of it in the way that other guys would have been had they accomplished the same thing.

not empty overall, but different for sure.

ps - i've edited this so many times i have no idea if any of you who +1'd it still agree, so double check...
Last edited by AndroidAggie on March 26th, 2024, 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post (total 5):
AggiePTAngusAgCastIronAggieFullMetsJetsAggies

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic