Two more

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Tetonkatest

Re: Two more

Post by Tetonkatest » March 26th, 2024, 5:01 pm

ususports wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:42 pm
Madsen just signed a two year extension through 2030. Can he really be a serious candidate?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... adsen-2030

wow. after only 1 year?
was he that great of a coach this year?

shelbjstew

Post by shelbjstew » March 26th, 2024, 5:02 pm

Stew was born and raised in Provo in an LDS family, just not very active himself. His brother and sister raised their families active in the LDS religion, so he’s familiar with it and not biased against LDS people. He’s married to a lovely catholic woman. His mom living in Logan and his siblings being close I’m sure were a contributing factor to why he stayed.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 26th, 2024, 5:03 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:27 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:23 pm
Two others to be considered. (They may have already been mentioned, and if so I am sorry. I don’t see everything on this board. )
Two guys I would like to see on the list. Madsen , CAL and before that SUU. And Pope, BYU.

They are really good coaches. Great recruiters. From Utah, not too old. Would love to coach at Utah State (Pope doesn’t like BYU which is right up our alley,) Madsen would love to move back to Utah from the dumpster fire in CA

I would love to have either one.
Funny you should bring those two up.......
Has Alex Jensen been given consideration?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 26th, 2024, 5:03 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:29 pm
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Two others to be considered. (They may have already been mentioned, and if so I am sorry. I don’t see everything on this board. )
Two guys I would like to see on the list. Madsen , CAL and before that SUU. And Pope, BYU.

They are really good coaches. Great recruiters. From Utah, not too old. Would love to coach at Utah State (Pope doesn’t like BYU which is right up our alley,) Madsen would love to move back to Utah from the dumpster fire in CA

Oh boy. You tease!!
It DOES NOT mean that either will be interviewing, however, it's my understanding that we reached out to those two and Bryce Drew to gauge their interest in the gig.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 26th, 2024, 5:04 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 5:03 pm
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

I haven't heard his name mentioned.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 5:05 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:

Mark Madsen is not from Utah. He actually grew up in the Bay Area a short distance from Cal, and he has lived in the Bay Area almost all his life. I could be wrong, but I don't think he is going to make a move to the MWC just to be in Utah.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 2):
mcaggie1bluegrouse

ususports

Post by ususports » March 26th, 2024, 5:06 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:29 pm
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

Oh boy. You tease!!
It DOES NOT mean that either will be interviewing, however, it's my understanding that we reached out to those two and Bryce Drew to gauge their interest in the gig.
While we were at it, did we ask Pope if they want to start playing us again?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 26th, 2024, 5:06 pm

We should reach out to that uconn coach too he's put together a couple good seasons in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0ljdentWasatchAggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 26th, 2024, 5:15 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 5:05 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:

Mark Madsen is not from Utah. He actually grew up in the Bay Area a short distance from Cal, and he has lived in the Bay Area almost all his life. I could be wrong, but I don't think he is going to make a move to the MWC just to be in Utah.
I heard that he doesn't like Logan. :stirpot:

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 26th, 2024, 5:16 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:57 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:55 pm
Agezzz wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:53 pm
This is not meant to be anti LDS. But I think the only BB coach that would be happy in Logan would have to be LDS. Past three coaches seem to have made that pretty clear. Without really saying it openly.....but certainly my conversations with them leave me little doubt.
Nonsense, Stew wasn't LDS (I don't think).
Raised in Provo, just a hunch, but I think Stew is likely LDS... just not the church-going type.
I am pretty sure you are right.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 26th, 2024, 5:24 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

Then I was given bad information. Thanks for correcting me.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 26th, 2024, 5:26 pm

This thread should be deleted.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
LarryTheAggie

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 5:33 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
This is not meant to be anti LDS. But I think the only BB coach that would be happy in Logan would have to be LDS. Past three coaches seem to have made that pretty clear. Without really saying it openly.....but certainly my conversations with them leave me little doubt.
I doubt that. Stew wasn't LDS (I don't think), Smith loved it here. Sprinkle was barely here plus is from Montana and is familiar with LDS culture.
Other people have mentioned that Stew is from the state and comes from an LDS family. They haven't mentioned, however, that Stew and his family were BYU fans. When he was considering the job, he called and asked his mom if she would cheer for him if he became an Aggie. When he was playing college ball himself, he spent two years at Ricks. Out of high school, BYU recruited him for football, but when he said he wanted basketball instead, they didn't take him. Presumably he was aiming at BYU for basketball post-Ricks, but took Gonzaga instead.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 26th, 2024, 5:59 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:58 pm
ViAggie wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me to see this whole process wrapped up by this weekend.
Why are you posting that on this thread? Are we hiring Pope? :lol:
I have no idea who we are hiring and I'm betting neither does anyone else here. We might have some good guesses, but who the actual person is? No...

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 26th, 2024, 6:01 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 5:33 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
I doubt that. Stew wasn't LDS (I don't think), Smith loved it here. Sprinkle was barely here plus is from Montana and is familiar with LDS culture.
Other people have mentioned that Stew is from the state and comes from an LDS family. They haven't mentioned, however, that Stew and his family were BYU fans. When he was considering the job, he called and asked his mom if she would cheer for him if he became an Aggie. When he was playing college ball himself, he spent two years at Ricks. Out of high school, BYU recruited him for football, but when he said he wanted basketball instead, they didn't take him. Presumably he was aiming at BYU for basketball post-Ricks, but took Gonzaga instead.
I once had a boss (in CA oddly) who claimed she dated Stew in HS (yes she went to Provo HS), claimed she had a huge crush on him and went to all of his games. Stew dodged a bullet with that one. :lol:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
StanfordAggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 26th, 2024, 8:50 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

For the women's team, maybe

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 26th, 2024, 8:54 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 5:06 pm
We should reach out to that uconn coach too he's put together a couple good seasons in a row

Honestly Dan Hurley would be my first choice. Nate oats as a backup plan
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » March 26th, 2024, 9:05 pm

Last time we hired a rival's head coach (CSU) it turned out pretty well. I once heard SM also say once he told BYU no thanks. If we hired their current coach, well, it might be something that is meant to be.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 11:01 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:05 pm
Last time we hired a rival's head coach (CSU) it turned out pretty well. I once heard SM also say once he told BYU no thanks. If we hired their current coach, well, it might be something that is meant to be.
I think BYU asked Stew if he would be willing to get a temple recommend in order to become their head coach, and he pretty much laughed in their face. Although it is unclear whether he was laughing about the thought of becoming their head coach or laughing about the thought of getting a temple recommend. Maybe both?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 26th, 2024, 11:19 pm

Or the ridiculousness of the notion that templeworthiness and basketball have some kind of connection.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
StanfordAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » March 27th, 2024, 9:26 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

Wife

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 27th, 2024, 9:39 am

Pope has been sought after by P5 schools all but one year at BYU (last year). I have no idea what his current status is or what his motives are but if he wants money, NIL, and a P5 option he can have it.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 27th, 2024, 9:42 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 11:01 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
I think BYU asked Stew if he would be willing to get a temple recommend in order to become their head coach, and he pretty much laughed in their face. Although it is unclear whether he was laughing about the thought of becoming their head coach or laughing about the thought of getting a temple recommend. Maybe both?
BYU turned Stew down and it was his dream job. He grew up in Provo and wanted to go home.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 27th, 2024, 10:02 am

gomretat wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 9:42 am
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 11:01 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
BYU turned Stew down and it was his dream job. He grew up in Provo and wanted to go home.
I assume you are joking, but I doubt that's the case. According to Stew, he had a brief talk with BYU after Steve Cleveland left for Fresno. He said the conversation went something like this:

"Are you willing to get a temple recommend so that you can be a candidate for BYU's head basketball coach?"
"No."

And that was pretty much the end of the discussion.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 27th, 2024, 11:00 am

I believe Stew said, "F@#$ No!"

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 27th, 2024, 3:39 pm

I see the ybu whyners has have finally found this thread: https://www.cougarboard.com/board/messa ... &tab=top10

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 27th, 2024, 3:54 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 3:39 pm
I see the ybu whyners has have finally found this thread: https://www.cougarboard.com/board/messa ... &tab=top10
Good heavens, that fan forum is a mess. Idiots aside, it looks like the layout is some unholy abomination spawned when Lotus Notes forcibly had its way with a bullet list from a Windows 95-era Word document.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 4):
StanfordAggieZaggie07aggieguy13ViAggie

IceCougar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by IceCougar » March 27th, 2024, 3:59 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:

that's plain crazy talk. Nobody is stepping down from a power conference job to take a lesser job unless they're on the downhill side of their career and can't get big jobs any more. Both Madsen and Pope are dudes in their prime and still potentially on the rise.

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » March 27th, 2024, 4:01 pm

IceCougar wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 3:59 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:

that's plain crazy talk. Nobody is stepping down from a power conference job to take a lesser job unless they're on the downhill side of their career and can't get big jobs any more. Both Madsen and Pope are dudes in their prime and still potentially on the rise.
Welcome.

IceCougar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by IceCougar » March 27th, 2024, 4:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...oh, you were serious
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:54 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » March 27th, 2024, 4:03 pm

IceCougar wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 4:02 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...oh, you were serious
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:54 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Sarcasm is super tough to decipher. Especially when you don’t have to click on each message Individually to read them.
These users thanked the author bigblue32 for the post:
ProvoAggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 27th, 2024, 4:05 pm

IceCougar wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

Don't worry; we don't want your coach. He's okay, but we can do better than that douche canoe. Hopefully he can ride this surprisingly successful season to a coaching position that he doesn't hate.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggiebigblue32

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » March 27th, 2024, 4:08 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 3:39 pm
Well, they're not sending their best and brightest.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieViAggieStanfordAggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 27th, 2024, 4:19 pm

IceCougar wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

No, I don't think its crazy talk. I was stuck in that hellhole for a couple years way back. He'd probably take Weber State if they could pay him. I'm guessing from past chatter that he may not be making Big 12 money either at his current "calling". So if he can't land another p5 gig this year a team like USU paying comparably might look like a pretty good interim gig unless he's getting paid more than what has been suggested. Not that we want him but a desperate man does things like this.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 28th, 2024, 10:14 am

Lurking Cougars, sorry to tell you this because we know you don't want to hear it but YES your coach wanted the UDub job. But pat yourself on the back knowing he was shooting for a B1G 10 job; that should at least offer you some solace.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic