An unmentioned dark side of NIL

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

An unmentioned dark side of NIL

Post by SectionBAggie » March 27th, 2024, 12:32 pm

As we raised our family, we occasionally crossed paths with parents who (for kids as young as 6 years old) were adamant that they needed to push those kids for the financial benefit of a college scholarship.

With the reality that there is more money in NIL than there is in (most) college scholarships I really have to wonder what degree some parents are going to be pushing their kids so that they can tap in.

ViAggie

Re: An unmentioned dark side of NIL

Post by ViAggie » March 27th, 2024, 12:35 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:32 pm
As we raised our family, we occasionally crossed paths with parents who (for kids as young as 6 years old) were adamant that they needed to push those kids for the financial benefit of a college scholarship.

With the reality that there is more money in NIL than there is in (most) college scholarships I really have to wonder what degree some parents are going to be pushing their kids so that they can tap in.
Just look at the percentage of kids who get a full-ride D1FBS scholarship offer; it's not very common. And now there are only really 4 Power Conferences. The chances of Little Jimmy getting a full ride at a P4 with big-time NIL $$ is extremely unlikely.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 27th, 2024, 12:36 pm

I can see that start to change.
IMO if we are going to be paying these "students" over 100k per year to play, then the University should use that scholarship for someone that needs it more.
Last edited by MrBiggle on March 27th, 2024, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post (total 3):
AggiePT3rdGenAggieShowMeAggie

Where only sage brush grows

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 27th, 2024, 12:47 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:35 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:

Just look at the percentage of kids who get a full-ride D1FBS scholarship offer; it's not very common. And now there are only really 4 Power Conferences. The chances of Little Jimmy getting a full ride at a P4 with big-time NIL $$ is extremely unlikely.
I know of at least one starter for a fellow Mountain West hoops program that is making 100 grand. The players at UNLV all get cars AND money.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 27th, 2024, 12:49 pm

Slippery Slope doesn't really begin to describe what is happening to colleges with all this. I mean it's one of main reasons Nick Sabin retired.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 27th, 2024, 12:50 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:47 pm
ViAggie wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:

I know of at least one starter for a fellow Mountain West hoops program that is making 100 grand. The players at UNLV all get cars AND money.
Did you just get back from the early 90s?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 27th, 2024, 12:50 pm

From a high school coach that I know - the NIL money is filtering down to the high school level. If you thought parents of high school athletes were out of control before, wait until there is NIL money on the line for little Johnny and his spot on a team or amount of playing time.

Eutaw St. Aggie

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » March 27th, 2024, 12:51 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:36 pm
IMO if we are going to be paying these "students" over 100k per year to play, then they University should use that scholarship for someone that needs it more.
I honestly wonder how these "student athletes" are able to finish a degree at all. I would love to see what the transcripts for some of these kids who go to 4-5 different colleges on athletic scholarships even looks like. Transferring credits is usually difficult.
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post (total 2):
GidbobMrBiggle

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 27th, 2024, 12:53 pm

AggiePT wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:51 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:36 pm
IMO if we are going to be paying these "students" over 100k per year to play, then they University should use that scholarship for someone that needs it more.
I honestly wonder how these "student athletes" are able to finish a degree at all. I would love to see what the transcripts for some of these kids who go to 4-5 different colleges on athletic scholarships even looks like. Transferring credits is usually difficult.
Most universities require the final 60 credits or something like that to be completed at their school for a degree.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 27th, 2024, 12:55 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:50 pm
From a high school coach that I know - the NIL money is filtering down to the high school level. If you thought parents of high school athletes were out of control before, wait until there is NIL money on the line for little Johnny and his spot on a team or amount of playing time.
The amount of money parents pay these days for teams, training, and showcases is silly. No way there is a net ROI.

Similar with NIL, no way there is a net ROI .

There will be select players, and select schools, that benefit.

I don't think it'll be the top spenders or the no-spenders.

Any parents on here feel like they are getting bang-for-their- buck? I know some baseball parents who have kids that play in Vegas, Arizona, all over Utah, and they're getting offers to USU-East, or half scholarships to UNLV, or Colorado community colleges.
Last edited by trevordude on March 27th, 2024, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not sent from Tapatalk

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » March 27th, 2024, 12:56 pm

AggiePT wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:51 pm
Transferring credits is usually difficult.
USU was my third school. (Evidence that the teen-age mind can be unstable.) Not a single credit from the first two was used for my degree evaluation. Transferring credits is indeed HARD.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 27th, 2024, 1:06 pm

Yossarian wrote:
As if parents were not crazy enough this will just make it worse.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
SectionBAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 27th, 2024, 1:08 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:47 pm
ViAggie wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:

Did you just get back from the early 90s?
I'm old school bro!

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 27th, 2024, 1:57 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
As if parents were not crazy enough this will just make it worse.
It starts before this. Bryce Harper was being flown in and out of baseball tournaments by teams when he was 12. I’m sure he was getting some type of compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic