For those who are freaking out about Kowalczyk

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
cval

Re: For those who are freaking out about Kowalczyk

Post by cval » March 28th, 2024, 4:55 pm

That’s pretty specific, but I do think familiarity helps in building relationships that can be important in recruiting.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 28th, 2024, 8:23 pm

BasketballAgg wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:42 pm
GeoAg wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:40 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:39 pm
I am seriously wondering about our AD. There is zero excitement factor with this hire. He was honestly the least qualified of any of those being considered. I would have taken Andy Hill over this. Un real.
This is just not true. He was the most qualified. He has the highest level of sustained success of any of the main candidates.
How successful would we have thought Stew was with 0 NCAA appearances?
Stew took Montana to the NCAA tournament in 1991.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 28th, 2024, 8:39 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 8:23 pm
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
I am seriously wondering about our AD. There is zero excitement factor with this hire. He was honestly the least qualified of any of those being considered. I would have taken Andy Hill over this. Un real.
This is just not true. He was the most qualified. He has the highest level of sustained success of any of the main candidates.
To be precise, prior to USU, Stew had 1 NCAA appearance and 2 NIT appearances in 12 years of coaching. Kowalczyk has 0 NCAA appearances and 5 NIT appearances in 22 years of coaching. Is that drastically worse than Stew, especially since, unlike Stew, Kowalczyk has spent his entire career in one-bid leagues?

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 28th, 2024, 8:57 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 8:39 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
To be precise, prior to USU, Stew had 1 NCAA appearance and 2 NIT appearances in 12 years of coaching. Kowalczyk has 0 NCAA appearances and 5 NIT appearances in 22 years of coaching. Is that drastically worse than Stew, especially since, unlike Stew, Kowalczyk has spent his entire career in one-bid leagues?
I saw the same thing about the postseason.

I am surprised he may be the pick, but maybe he will be a good coach.

The difference is Morrill was much more like Danny Sprinkle or Craig Smith than this possible pick.

Morrill was 47 when he came, he worked in the West, and had several years of coaching left in his career.

I am not necessarily against him, I like the sustained success rather than the one hit wonder of a conference tournament win, but the fact that there aren't any NCAA appearances is a bit troubling.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 28th, 2024, 9:39 pm

I don't understand the comments about age. Recruiting and coaching is not about age. It's about recruiting connections, money, and assistants and habits and pure ability to coach. None of those things is dependent on age. We can get a solid 5, at least, years out of Coach K. If those years are 20+ wins and continuity where we're competing for MWC titles, sign me up!
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 28th, 2024, 9:47 pm

SLB wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 3:21 pm
Dave Rice always gets those blue-chip players (look at Washington and their NBA players and top 40 recruits during the time of Dave Rice being there), and Dave Rice was in the NCAA tournament (2x) in the 2 seasons before Simon joining UNLV.
Unless you're talking about a kid who grew up watching the Aggies and his parents are heavily impacting his decision to come to Utah State (we have one of those kids coming, but he's not "blue chip"), then we're not going to get those kids to come to Utah State... Unless you are a multi-milionaire who is ready to donate 100s of thousands of dollars to recruiting so that kids will come. Each of those "blue chippers" are requiring that schools pay them simply for the visit and they're taking as many visits as they can so that they pad their bank accounts. Utah State is not going to be playing that game under those conditions, that is unless you have money that you want to throw away. So forget about getting a coach that will do that. The bigger question is if Coach K will retain any of Sprinkle's assistants. This is my biggest concern.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 28th, 2024, 9:51 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
He also has lost every single NIT game.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 28th, 2024, 9:57 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:39 pm
I don't understand the comments about age. Recruiting and coaching is not about age. It's about recruiting connections, money, and assistants and habits and pure ability to coach. None of those things is dependent on age. We can get a solid 5, at least, years out of Coach K. If those years are 20+ wins and continuity where we're competing for MWC titles, sign me up!
I was stating how old he was. If he was 34, I would state that as well.

The positive of that is he may not be trying to "climb the ladder" like the last 3. Stew probably could have, but decided he liked USU. It could be a positive he is a decade older than the last 3, just that it is a different dynamic.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 28th, 2024, 10:59 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:51 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Stew also lost every single NIT game (both before and after coming to USU). And in Kowalczyk's case, at least two of those NIT losses were following season-ending injuries to one of his top players.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 28th, 2024, 11:01 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:47 pm
SLB wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 3:21 pm
Dave Rice always gets those blue-chip players (look at Washington and their NBA players and top 40 recruits during the time of Dave Rice being there), and Dave Rice was in the NCAA tournament (2x) in the 2 seasons before Simon joining UNLV.
Unless you're talking about a kid who grew up watching the Aggies and his parents are heavily impacting his decision to come to Utah State (we have one of those kids coming, but he's not "blue chip"), then we're not going to get those kids to come to Utah State... Unless you are a multi-milionaire who is ready to donate 100s of thousands of dollars to recruiting so that kids will come. Each of those "blue chippers" are requiring that schools pay them simply for the visit and they're taking as many visits as they can so that they pad their bank accounts. Utah State is not going to be playing that game under those conditions, that is unless you have money that you want to throw away. So forget about getting a coach that will do that. The bigger question is if Coach K will retain any of Sprinkle's assistants. This is my biggest concern.
Also, as I noted elsewhere, Simon started his career at Findlay Prep. I haven't looked it up, but I suspect that many of the blue chip players UNLV recruited during the Rice/Simon era came from Findlay. But Findlay closed a couple years ago, so I think that pipeline is gone now.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 28th, 2024, 11:04 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 10:59 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Stew also lost every single NIT game (both before and after coming to USU). And in Kowalczyk's case, at least two of those NIT losses were following season-ending injuries to one of his top players.
Yeah funny we name the court after stew who was 1-14 in NCAA/nit games in his career, but can't give coach kowalczyk a chance because of his postseason record.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Aggie84025

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » March 28th, 2024, 11:07 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
He’s also 1-3 in the CBI and 1-1 in the CIB.

Not good.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 28th, 2024, 11:32 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 11:04 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Yeah funny we name the court after stew who was 1-14 in NCAA/nit games in his career, but can't give coach kowalczyk a chance because of his postseason record.
Well at least Stew got to the NCAA tournament in a one bid league.

What’s TK record number n the NCAA tournament, again?

Stew also faired pretty well in conference tournaments and won some.

How many has TK won?

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 29th, 2024, 12:27 am

Elkaggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 11:32 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?
How many conference tournaments has Todd Simon won? The reality is that a coach that has a long track record of winning in March is not coming to USU. If there was another candidate with a better resume who wanted the job, that would be another story. But I find it weird that people are excited about Simon but hating Kowalczyk when Simon's record in March is just as bad. I guess Simon's poor March record doesn't count because half the time he finished .500 in conference, and for some reason it's better to finish .500 and lose in the conference tournament than it is to win the regular season title and lose in the conference tournament. I think some people are just biased toward the younger guy/"Utah guy" (even though he is actually from the Midwest as well) or they just have very unrealistic expectations about the type of coach we can attract to USU.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 29th, 2024, 7:03 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?
How many conference tournaments has Todd Simon won? The reality is that a coach that has a long track record of winning in March is not coming to USU. If there was another candidate with a better resume who wanted the job, that would be another story. But I find it weird that people are excited about Simon but hating Kowalczyk when Simon's record in March is just as bad. I guess Simon's poor March record doesn't count because half the time he finished .500 in conference, and for some reason it's better to finish .500 and lose in the conference tournament than it is to win the regular season title and lose in the conference tournament. I think some people are just biased toward the younger guy/"Utah guy" (even though he is actually from the Midwest as well) or they just have very unrealistic expectations about the type of coach we can attract to USU.

Why are you so determined to defend Toledo Tod’s honor?

It’s ok if people don’t like him as much as you do. It’s ok if people would rather have Simon or another coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
SLB

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 29th, 2024, 7:46 am

Look, if he’s good enough to win a several conference regular seasons he’ll likely take us to the tourney. Because doing that in the MWC will often suggest you will get an
Autobid.

When you’re in most of those conferences to make the tourney no matter how you performed that season it means you have to win 4 specific games, in a row. And that’s all making the tourney out of a 1-bid league really says.

Although it’s an interesting data point he hasn’t been to the tournament, I’m sure there is a reason we’re hiring him beyond “hire someone one that provides continuity”

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 29th, 2024, 7:58 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 12:27 am
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?
I don’t think the coach needs to have a long track record of winning in March but you would think in 14 years at least once or twice he would the Conf tourney, especially after winning the regular season. Normally, you are the favorite when you win the conference.

Also, I haven’t really mentioned anything about Simon. I don’t really think either are great options. They seem about the same. The only slight advantage is he has at least spent some time in the MWC living in the our state. To me that gives him a slim advantage but neither move the needle much for me at all.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 29th, 2024, 11:15 am

2004AG wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 7:03 am
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?

It’s ok if people don’t like him as much as you do. It’s ok if people would rather have Simon or another coach.

Because there is a good chance that he will be our new coach. I think he has a fantastic resume and could be very successful at USU, and it would be very unfortunate if the fans turned against him before he is even hired.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 29th, 2024, 11:15 am

Elkaggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 7:58 am
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 12:27 am
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?
I don’t think the coach needs to have a long track record of winning in March but you would think in 14 years at least once or twice he would the Conf tourney, especially after winning the regular season. Normally, you are the favorite when you win the conference.

Also, I haven’t really mentioned anything about Simon. I don’t really think either are great options. They seem about the same. The only slight advantage is he has at least spent some time in the MWC living in the our state. To me that gives him a slim advantage but neither move the needle much for me at all.
If you're not happy with Kowalczyk or Simon, then who can we realistically hire that would be better?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 29th, 2024, 11:40 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?

Because there is a good chance that he will be our new coach. I think he has a fantastic resume and could be very successful at USU, and it would be very unfortunate if the fans turned against him before he is even hired.
Great. You’re welcome to like him. Others don’t have to.

You freaking out over every post semi critical of Toledo Tod isn’t going I change any minds anyways.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 29th, 2024, 11:43 am

2004AG wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 11:40 am
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?

You freaking out over every post semi critical of Toledo Tod isn’t going I change any minds anyways.

And if you don't like what I have to say about him, nobody is obligating you to respond to my posts. I'm just bored at work refreshing this page nonstop for any type of update, and arguing about candidates is more fun than just refreshing endlessly.

splintorb

Post by splintorb » March 29th, 2024, 11:47 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 11:43 am
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?

And if you don't like what I have to say about him, nobody is obligating you to respond to my posts. I'm just bored at work refreshing this page nonstop for any type of update, and arguing about candidates is more fun than just refreshing endlessly.
We can all stop the discussions about Tod

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 29th, 2024, 11:50 am

splintorb wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 11:47 am
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?

I love it when people say things like this with no context. They could be posting from Sabau's burner account. Or they could be talking out of their tail end. If you are going to spread rumors like this, it would be awesome if you would give us at least some basis for the rumor. Also, if Kowalczyk is out, I hope that's because someone even better is interested, because he looks like a great candidate on paper.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
splintorb

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 29th, 2024, 11:51 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?

Not at all. I’m not the board nanny. Post about him all you want. I just couldn’t figure out your obsession with him. But you answered that you’re trying to change hearts and minds. So thanks for that answer. Good luck in your mission.

(If I were the board nanny, I would ban anyone that won’t stop beating to death all the stupid jokes about Tunka or only fans).

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
Aggie84025

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » March 29th, 2024, 12:23 pm

The combined real sports knowledge and coaching insight of this board is realistically quite poor, just by the nature of what it is (faceless, nameless, free message board).

I, for one, am delighted that we have hired professionals with the work experience, the network of contacts, and the responsibility to locate, attract and sign the best individuals we can afford.

I do not think the job of the AD or the Head of the Search Committee at a place like USU is super easy. We have fairly lofty expectations and somewhat limited resources.

In general, there are also a lot of positive things. rich history, proud committed fans, quality conference tradition and standing, less intense scrutiny than power conference jobs.

In all, I would say, the Utah State job is a pretty nice gig if you can get it.

pono
Has thanked: 0

Post by pono » March 29th, 2024, 5:52 pm

Thank you Aggies, enjoyed my post sparking a good debate. My intention was to share insight from a Toledo perspective as someone who has been a huge fan for nearly 50 years, was once a bit of an insider, and now mostly stays in the loop from afar via msg boards and streaming games. Your board is lively and engaged. The MAC and MWC have historically been peer level conferences but over the past 6-7 years we are going in opposite directions.

TK can really coach, has won awards for ethics, grad rates, sportsmanship. You could do much worse. Not sure if a perfect fit. His style is much more UNM than SDSU. His success is also due to a core of longtime assistants, all of whom are OH/MI guys who played at UT or Xavier. If offered, I'd think TK's decision will be swayed by input from his family and those of his assistants. The "family culture" at Toledo is real, not lip service.

We like TK, but are frustrated w the lack of postseason success and would be OK if he left and we elevated the rest of the staff and kept continuity. Guess we'll continue the anxious is your insider really an insider bickering on our respective boards until next week. :cheers:
These users thanked the author pono for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0StanfordAggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 29th, 2024, 5:55 pm

pono wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 5:52 pm
Thank you Aggies, enjoyed my post sparking a good debate. My intention was to share insight from a Toledo perspective as someone who has been a huge fan for nearly 50 years, was once a bit of an insider, and now mostly stays in the loop from afar via msg boards and streaming games. Your board is lively and engaged. The MAC and MWC have historically been peer level conferences but over the past 6-7 years we are going in opposite directions.

TK can really coach, has won awards for ethics, grad rates, sportsmanship. You could do much worse. Not sure if a perfect fit. His style is much more UNM than SDSU. His success is also due to a core of longtime assistants, all of whom are OH/MI guys who played at UT or Xavier. If offered, I'd think TK's decision will be swayed by input from his family and those of his assistants. The "family culture" at Toledo is real, not lip service.

We like TK, but are frustrated w the lack of postseason success and would be OK if he left and we elevated the rest of the staff and kept continuity. Guess we'll continue the anxious is your insider really an insider bickering on our respective boards until next week. :cheers:
Thanks for stopping in, pono. You caught us at a funny time. This is about as wild as we get. Usually this board is only somewhat crazy. Btw, you guys have a lovely town out there in Toledo. I live in Detroit, but we come down there for the zoo. Nice area.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 29th, 2024, 5:56 pm

splintorb wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 11:47 am
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

How many has TK won?

@ Splintorb nailed it this morning! Nice work!

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 30th, 2024, 8:19 am

Now that we have our new coach, and he's not Tod (or Tunka), I'm gonna miss the overt sexual tension between 2004AG and StanfordAggie. Perhaps you can get a feature on FloridaAggie13's OnlyFans?

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 30th, 2024, 8:25 am

Zaggie07 wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 8:19 am
Now that we have our new coach, and he's not Tod (or Tunka), I'm gonna miss the overt sexual tension between 2004AG and StanfordAggie. Perhaps you can get a feature on FloridaAggie13's OnlyFans?
From what I’ve seen he’s past his tortured artist phase and has completely sold out. If they’re willing to go, he’s willing to film.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
Zaggie07

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 30th, 2024, 9:25 am

Welp, I think that freaking out a little has changed the game and we now find ourselves in the position we needed. I will be donating to the NIL after all.

#hornsup!

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 30th, 2024, 10:24 am

pono wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 5:52 pm

Appreciate the insight and conversation! Cheering for Tod K and the Rockets. This is the year you finally get over the NCAA Tournament hump.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 30th, 2024, 10:35 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 9:25 am
Welp, I think that freaking out a little has changed the game and we now find ourselves in the position we needed. I will be donating to the NIL after all.
Are you saying you think the board melting down changed the coaching hire? I highly doubt that.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 30th, 2024, 11:25 am

GeoAg wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 10:35 am
Blue Sage wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 9:25 am
Are you saying you think the board melting down changed the coaching hire? I highly doubt that.
Anybody that says fan or student needs as much as our AD welcomes and knows how to listen past critical feedback to hear what the actual needs are. So yes feedback from this site likely contributes to her data used in problem statement creation and needs analysis. In fact ideas and opinions from groups like this can spur unexpected growth. Directed intentional discussions around those who best understand sports programs are often where new ideas that change everything spwan from and she knows it. Our opinions are very important to ensure future growth. What I also choose to believe and know as a fact in my case is that faced with the wrong choice of Coach and the likelyhood of loosing our beloved athletes brought clarity that if we don’t want to digress just how important NIL money is. Therefore, I am donating a significant percentage of my annual salary to the NIL. If the likes of Mason, Ian, and Great are retained it is because many others also realized how important donations to the NIL are. Danny Sprinkle really challenged us at the last luncheon to donate to the NIL, I plan to do that very thing. I hope we do it so well that he rues the day that he asked us to significantly up the NIL dollars.

#hornsup!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic