Great Osobor

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
LoveMyAggies

Re: Great Osobor

Post by LoveMyAggies » April 3rd, 2024, 3:33 pm

I looked at the analytics at the end of Jan, Ledee, Osobor, Edy and the 7 footer from Kansas had the greatest impact on games, points, FTA, drawn fouls, rebounds and impact of points per possession on touches.

These dudes are the best in the business and this is why Calhoun sold the farm to be the Aggies coach and so .. we’ll see if Osobor ends up at UW. Don’t be surprised if he goes B1G.

Some of the biggest bball $$ is there and it’s not even close.

If Osobor isn’t offered a sack of cash to go there I’ll be shocked.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 3rd, 2024, 3:35 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:38 pm
ryguy417 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:32 pm
brian5562 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:26 pm
It stings a little less knowing that Coach met with each player and that NIL was discussed with each of them.
Or worse, Coach met and we don’t have the bag to even consider staying. Hopefully not, but a big man like Osobor will demand $300-500k likely.
I bet more, but he’ll live to regret it. He will not have the freedom he has here. The relationships. He’ll likely move up another level in competition that he’s not ready for. He could’ve fine tuned his skills in the MW.

I hope Calhoun can get Burns to replace him.
Idk… $500k mitigates a lot of regret.

It is what it is. And it appears from my research the only solution is counter intuitive to the stances people had a few years ago. So I am probably not understanding a lot of it as it seems complex.

I’m sure the the lawyers may correct me- but it appears that there are multi employer exemptions when it’s collectively bargained to antitrust laws. Let the players unionize then the NCAA can workout a compromise from letting everything gets out of hand before it destroys college sports.

That’s hard for me to say because I’m generally very anti-union.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
splintorb

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2024, 3:37 pm

If the going rate for a MW starter is really $100k, then I feel like we should definitely be able to keep a guy like Uduje around if he likes it here. The article with Eric Laub from last week sure suggested we could afford a MW starter level NIL "salary." I'd be surprised if Josh had a better offer elsewhere. :noidea: If he leaves, I'd probably chalk it up to him really not liking it much here.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Aggie in Boise

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 3rd, 2024, 3:39 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:38 pm
ryguy417 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:32 pm
brian5562 wrote:
It stings a little less knowing that Coach met with each player and that NIL was discussed with each of them.
Or worse, Coach met and we don’t have the bag to even consider staying. Hopefully not, but a big man like Osobor will demand $300-500k likely.
I bet more, but he’ll live to regret it. He will not have the freedom he has here. The relationships. He’ll likely move up another level in competition that he’s not ready for. He could’ve fine tuned his skills in the MW.

I hope Calhoun can get Burns to replace him.
He'll do just fine and have a nice nest egg to start his European Career. Just the business now.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
splintorb

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 3:54 pm

We now have funds in the NIL coffer. Why can't we match what he's being offered? Even if its the lion share of the collective. As much as I like the other guys, he's only player that (really) matters; you can build a new team around his skill set.
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on April 3rd, 2024, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2024, 3:54 pm

Anyone saying Great is in for a dose of P5 reality isn't giving him his due. He's probably amongst the Top 10 players in the portal right now.

Sucks to lose him (and yes, I think it's a foregone conclusion we've lost him), but if we can hold onto Isaac, Mason, and Josh and then replenish from the portal we'll still have a really good team next year.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 3:55 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 3:54 pm
Anyone saying Great is in for a dose of P5 reality isn't giving him his due. He's probably amongst the Top 10 players in the portal right now.

Sucks to lose him (and yes, I think it's a foregone conclusion we've lost him), but if we can hold onto Isaac, Mason, and Josh and then replenish from the portal we'll still have a really good team next year.
Not really. Fine = not very good.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2024, 3:57 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 3:55 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

I think Isaac, Mason, and Josh would be a really nice nucleus of players to reload with. Certainly a much better spot than we were in this time last year! What I am hoping is that Great and Ian moving on frees up more NIL money to lockdown the guys we can afford to keep, and that we see a few more "run it back" messages in the coming days.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:03 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 3:57 pm
I think Isaac, Mason, and Josh would be a really nice nucleus of players to reload with. Certainly a much better spot than we were in this time last year! What I am hoping is that Great and Ian moving on frees up more NIL money to lockdown the guys we can afford to keep, and that we see a few more "run it back" messages in the coming days.
This time last year we had 2 of those 3.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:05 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Not unles you can find a guy as talented as Great to replace him (good luck). High level role players at best. You need a star.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:06 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:05 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Not unles you can find a guy as talented as Great to replace him (good luck). High level role players at best. You need a star.
Maybe Wynott can be that good (assuming we can land him) but probably not year 1.

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:13 pm

How does Utah State typically pay their basketball coaching staff? I’m assuming that donors pay a good portion of it, so why doesn’t our AD just tell those donors to put in all of their money into the collective. Just move the money around. That million bucks that was going to go to the coaching staff can now go solely to players. Use the NCAA tourney credits and the last two coach buyouts to fund the new coaching staff.

Additionally the NCAA can’t stop anything right now, so why doesn’t the AD just put some of the programs money into the collective. All I’m saying is that we just made 3 million bucks, so why can’t we find a way to move that 3 million bucks straight into the collective.
These users thanked the author EngineeringAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:18 pm

I knew as soon as there were no follow up posts after Fish posted this would happen.

Huge loss but this is the new reality and it absolutely sucks.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:20 pm

EngineeringAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:13 pm
How does Utah State typically pay their basketball coaching staff? I’m assuming that donors pay a good portion of it, so why doesn’t our AD just tell those donors to put in all of their money into the collective. Just move the money around. That million bucks that was going to go to the coaching staff can now go solely to players. Use the NCAA tourney credits and the last two coach buyouts to fund the new coaching staff.

Additionally the NCAA can’t stop anything right now, so why doesn’t the AD just put some of the programs money into the collective. All I’m saying is that we just made 3 million bucks, so why can’t we find a way to move that 3 million bucks straight into the collective.
I've wonderd this too. Players should get paid but why is it always on the doners to fork over?
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

TexAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by TexAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:21 pm

In Aggieland*

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 4:25 pm

Hey @aggies22, welcome back! Two questions, from what you're hearing is USU even in the ballpark NIL wise with an offer to keep Osobor? Second, what are the chances he just declares and goes pro? It's a pretty week draft and an extra year/new school might not help his stock.

We heard all this transfer noise with J-Love but he made the right move and went pro. Wondering if that's Osobor's path.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 3rd, 2024, 4:29 pm

Calhoun likes to have bigs to shoot 3s. Osobor does not fit that scheme.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Roy McAvoy

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 3rd, 2024, 4:30 pm

Great can't shoot outside 5 feet. How will he play in the NBA? This isn't the 90's. Edey is one of the most dominant college players ever and isn't even in the top 10 of a weak draft.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21AggieFBObsession

AggiePharm

Post by AggiePharm » April 3rd, 2024, 4:32 pm

SLB wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:29 pm
DJ Burns had shot 9 3's through his for 4 years of college ball. Calhoun said the staff worked on his shot all summer and he shot 96 of them this season. Now, 32% obviously isn't great, but I don't think Calhoun is afraid of letting someone develop a 3 (ala Paul Millsap) if they have that potential in them. Granted, Osobor is only a 65% FT shooter where Burns is up to 76% for his career.
These users thanked the author AggiePharm for the post:
bigblue32

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 3rd, 2024, 4:33 pm

SLB wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:29 pm
If you have a player like Great, you adjust your scheme to fit his strengths. You don't need Great shooting 3s with the right pieces. Him having the ability to hit 3s against Purdue would've been nice. However, his lack of 3 point shooting didn't hurt us during the season, nor do I foresee it being an issue for him wherever he plays next season.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 3rd, 2024, 4:36 pm

Honestly, the starting forwards before portal additions should be Johnson and Dallin Grant.
Dallin Grant was a shooter in HS.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 3rd, 2024, 4:39 pm

TrueAG wrote:Great can't shoot outside 5 feet. How will he play in the NBA? This isn't the 90's. Edey is one of the most dominant college players ever and isn't even in the top 10 of a weak draft.
I like how we criticize all of our players/coaches as soon as we hear they may leave. He’s just going to get feedback and he will be back to play CBB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 2):
bluegrousetrevordude

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 3rd, 2024, 4:48 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:39 pm
TrueAG wrote:Great can't shoot outside 5 feet. How will he play in the NBA? This isn't the 90's. Edey is one of the most dominant college players ever and isn't even in the top 10 of a weak draft.
I like how we criticize all of our players/coaches as soon as we hear they may leave. He’s just going to get feedback and he will be back to play CBB.

Tell me where I am wrong? You are always the board hall monitor. Great is an amazing college player. NBA is a different game. Osobar needs to expand his game and conditioning to play in a better college conference or professionally. I think Calhoun could be the ideal coach for that. We can have honest conversations about players and coaches without always being a jock sniffer.

splintorb

Post by splintorb » April 3rd, 2024, 5:01 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:30 pm
Great can't shoot outside 5 feet. How will he play in the NBA? This isn't the 90's. Edey is one of the most dominant college players ever and isn't even in the top 10 of a weak draft.
You realize how backwards your comment is, right?
1. The best way for a player to "safely" test and get feedback for the NBA before being a senior is by entering the portal.
2. You are stating that Great can't shoot the ball outside 5 feet, and that is is not going to be good in the NBA, but, in the same breath you are frustrated that a player is entering the portal to get more NIL money? A player by your words is not going to play in the NBA?
These users thanked the author splintorb for the post:
SectionBAggie

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » April 3rd, 2024, 5:03 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:48 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:39 pm

Tell me where I am wrong? You are always the board hall monitor. Great is an amazing college player. NBA is a different game. Osobar needs to expand his game and conditioning to play in a better college conference or professionally. I think Calhoun could be the ideal coach for that. We can have honest conversations about players and coaches without always being a jock sniffer.
Kinda sensitive there..... aren't you!?

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 3rd, 2024, 5:21 pm

splintorb wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 5:01 pm
TrueAG wrote:
1. The best way for a player to "safely" test and get feedback for the NBA before being a senior is by entering the portal.
2. You are stating that Great can't shoot the ball outside 5 feet, and that is is not going to be good in the NBA, but, in the same breath you are frustrated that a player is entering the portal to get more NIL money? A player by your words is not going to play in the NBA?
I didn't say anything of your number 2 point? All I said is he isn't an NBA player. If you think he is, that is fine.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 3rd, 2024, 5:24 pm

splintorb wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
Why do you have to enter the portal to test the NBA waters? I don't remember Queta doing this.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

jackattack

Post by jackattack » April 3rd, 2024, 5:27 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 5:24 pm
splintorb wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
Why do you have to enter the portal to test the NBA waters? I don't remember Queta doing this.
He did test the waters
These users thanked the author jackattack for the post:
apo

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 5:28 pm

You used to be able to declare and if you didn’t hire an agent come back. Who knows the rules anymore

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » April 3rd, 2024, 5:31 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:45 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:42 pm
TrueAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:40 pm
scotlandog wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:39 pm
ryguy417 wrote:
brian5562 wrote:
Have we ever figured out the whole “Are foreign players eligible for NIL” issue? If they have a school visa they can’t make money and NIL under current laws counts. Does Great have a work visa?

That was my question? A student and work visa are very different.
There are ways. Players were getting paid before NIL. They just do it the old school way.
A kid walks into his dorm room and there is a sack of dough waiting for him on his bed.
I guess if you are ok with fraud and risk being deported and blacklisted. It's all good..
So what you're saying is all its gonna take is a couple of disgruntled IRS agents that graduated from mid-majors for all of this to all come crashing down?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 3rd, 2024, 5:52 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:25 pm
Hey @aggies22, welcome back! Two questions, from what you're hearing is USU even in the ballpark NIL wise with an offer to keep Osobor? Second, what are the chances he just declares and goes pro? It's a pretty week draft and an extra year/new school might not help his stock.

We heard all this transfer noise with J-Love but he made the right move and went pro. Wondering if that's Osobor's path.
With what we have to offer, it's not anywhere near what he will command on the P5 market. It's all going to come down to what he values most. Money, or comfortability in familiar surroundings but if everybody bails, the surroundings might not be that familiar after all.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
bigblue32trevordudeEngineeringAggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 3rd, 2024, 5:56 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 5:52 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:25 pm

With what we have to offer, it's not anywhere near what he will command on the P5 market. It's all going to come down to what he values most. Money, or comfortability in familiar surroundings but if everybody bails, the surroundings might not be that familiar after all.
There are players who want to win who have connections with the coach.
Funk was that way

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2024, 5:58 pm

Great is an incredible college player that is a Top 10 player in the portal right now and will make some P5 very happy.

Zero percent chance he’ll carve out an NBA career. Zero. Will make a lot of money in China or Europe tho.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
Aggie in BoiseAggieFBObsessiontjensen_25

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 6:25 pm

(I can't express myself without swearing)

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 3rd, 2024, 6:31 pm

FromLItoLogan wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 5:31 pm
TrueAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:45 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:42 pm
TrueAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:40 pm
scotlandog wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:39 pm
ryguy417 wrote:
brian5562 wrote:
Have we ever figured out the whole “Are foreign players eligible for NIL” issue? If they have a school visa they can’t make money and NIL under current laws counts. Does Great have a work visa?

That was my question? A student and work visa are very different.
There are ways. Players were getting paid before NIL. They just do it the old school way.
A kid walks into his dorm room and there is a sack of dough waiting for him on his bed.
I guess if you are ok with fraud and risk being deported and blacklisted. It's all good..
So what you're saying is all its gonna take is a couple of disgruntled IRS agents that graduated from mid-majors for all of this to all come crashing down?
We don’t want the IRs sniffing around our collectives either, because they will lose their tax deductibility

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic