Current State of USU Basketball

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

Re: Current State of USU Basketball

Post by ThunderAggie » April 7th, 2024, 2:31 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 2:18 pm
Looks like we’re the only tournament team on the list…
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » April 7th, 2024, 4:19 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 2:31 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 2:18 pm
Looks like we’re the only tournament team on the list…
I saw where he said he went to Penn cause of the palestra the cathedral of college basketball, I bet this dude would love the spectrum !

bpd

Post by bpd » April 7th, 2024, 4:52 pm

Don’t count on it.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 7th, 2024, 6:56 pm

Kid went to Penn, but wants a real academic challenge so he's strongly considering Utah State.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
LKGatesStanfordAggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 7th, 2024, 7:43 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 6:56 pm
Kid went to Penn, but wants a real academic challenge so he's strongly considering Utah State.
Hey if he wants the challenge Utah State can give it to him. I remember taking classes when a 40% was the high. Engineering will kick his butt IF that’s what he wants…
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
3rdGenAggie

#hornsup!

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » April 7th, 2024, 8:24 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 7:43 pm
Hey if he wants the challenge Utah State can give it to him. I remember taking classes when a 40% was the high. Engineering will kick his butt IF that’s what he wants…
I took a grad level stats/math class where we had 14 students. In fall quarter I got a Cminus. I dropped the other two classes in the series. When I checked my transcript it turned out that I was higher than the class average. Winter quarter there were 2 returning students. End of the year the teacher was looking for a new job.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 2):
AngusAgBlue Sage

LKGates

Post by LKGates » April 7th, 2024, 9:01 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 8:24 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
I took a grad level stats/math class where we had 14 students. In fall quarter I got a Cminus. I dropped the other two classes in the series. When I checked my transcript it turned out that I was higher than the class average. Winter quarter there were 2 returning students. End of the year the teacher was looking for a new job.
I went to medical school with a bunch of kids from Duke, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford, etc. etc. I was the only student in my class to successfully test out of three courses, biochemistry, cell biology, and genetics. My background from Utah State was second to none. And that says way more about USU than it does about me.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 14):
AngusAgSection_L_AggieUSU78stwinwardStanfordAggieflying_scotsman2.0GreenAgaggies22FloridaAggie133rdGenAggie and 4 more users

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 7th, 2024, 9:55 pm

LKGates wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:01 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
I went to medical school with a bunch of kids from Duke, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford, etc. etc. I was the only student in my class to successfully test out of three courses, biochemistry, cell biology, and genetics. My background from Utah State was second to none. And that says way more about USU than it does about me.
Yeah, the real benefits to going to “top schools” like the ones listed above are for access to top professors in their respective fields (research, actual education be damned) and connections in the alumni network (brand name is cool too, I guess). Biochemistry doesn’t change from one university to the next, but the quality of teacher does.

I had a professor at USU who was highly regarded in his line of research, but he was also passionate about teaching, and he was a great teacher. He worked at the U before coming to USU. He told our class that while at the U he had a candid conversation with the department head who said something along the lines of, “it’s great that you are a good teacher and get good student reviews, but if you want to succeed here, research is more important.” That’s at the U. I can only imagine what they tell professors at Harvard or MIT. We are fortunate at USU to have a good balance of research and teaching in our faculty.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
LKGates

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » April 8th, 2024, 8:55 am

Blue Sage wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Tell me you had Audrey Levine as the professor in that class? One test was multiple choice and if you guessed C all the way down you would have beat the class average.

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » April 8th, 2024, 9:02 am

Blue Sage wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
I remember my dynamics professor used to brag that his test average was 30%. I think my first test score was in the 40s and I thought I was screwed... Till I found out my friend got a 17%

SoJo_Aggie

Post by SoJo_Aggie » April 8th, 2024, 9:02 am

Blue Sage wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
originally read this as "I remember taking classes when high" and thought that would make it challenging

You insulted my choice of beverage. As host and provider, I was offended by this.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 8th, 2024, 9:24 am

SLB wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 4:10 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 1:49 pm
SLB wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 11:22 am
Aggie702 wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 11:17 am
SLB wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 11:07 am
There is a new player in the portal that makes sense for us to pursue.
Zed Key 6'8" 230 lb forward 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds per game at Ohio State.
He averaged 15.2 minutes per game.
Has some willingness to shoot 3s.
He is going to be a COVID senior.
And we're known for our love of all things Ohio!
The Ohio thing was another reason that it makes sense to pursue Zed Key. I have to imagine that Calhoun has connections to pursue Zed Key, and Key was on a lower level Big Ten team.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 01/zed-key
The last 2 seasons at Ohio State did not involve NCAA tournament bids.
Key is also pretty good at offensive rebounds.
Imagine, having this due with Osobor and the Big Fish, with Josh and Mason back it would be a very dominant team. If Calhoun can help them improve the 3 shot and Utah State could be scary good!
I was thinking the same kind of thing.
We're not even interested in recruiting him.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2024, 10:20 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 9:24 am
SLB wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 4:10 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 1:49 pm
SLB wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 11:22 am
Aggie702 wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 11:17 am
SLB wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 11:07 am
There is a new player in the portal that makes sense for us to pursue.
Zed Key 6'8" 230 lb forward 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds per game at Ohio State.
He averaged 15.2 minutes per game.
Has some willingness to shoot 3s.
He is going to be a COVID senior.
And we're known for our love of all things Ohio!
The Ohio thing was another reason that it makes sense to pursue Zed Key. I have to imagine that Calhoun has connections to pursue Zed Key, and Key was on a lower level Big Ten team.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 01/zed-key
The last 2 seasons at Ohio State did not involve NCAA tournament bids.
Key is also pretty good at offensive rebounds.
Imagine, having this due with Osobor and the Big Fish, with Josh and Mason back it would be a very dominant team. If Calhoun can help them improve the 3 shot and Utah State could be scary good!
I was thinking the same kind of thing.
We're not even interested in recruiting him.

Disappointed
The list is not that great. This is why I thought that we take a shot at getting Key.
Last edited by SLB on April 8th, 2024, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 8th, 2024, 10:27 am

Can't wait to get the Final Four over with so we can get our coaching staff hired and get them to work.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2024, 11:12 am

Here is another player to consider, and he was actually a guard.
If we got Holt, he could help us get Hill to recommit.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » April 8th, 2024, 11:45 am

SLB wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 11:12 am

Weird math: 2 years at JC, 2 years at Utah, 1 year(?) at SDSU? Even Covid doesn't grant a 6th year, does it?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 8th, 2024, 12:17 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Weird math: 2 years at JC, 2 years at Utah, 1 year(?) at SDSU? Even Covid doesn't grant a 6th year, does it?
Looks like he only played 3 games in 21-22 at Utah so maybe be got a medical redshirt or something.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2024, 1:31 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 12:17 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Looks like he only played 3 games in 21-22 at Utah so maybe be got a medical redshirt or something.
ACL tear at Utah

SLB

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2024, 2:21 pm

We should try to get this player.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2024, 2:49 pm

@SLB you know we all appreciate your insights…but are you really going to post random players again throughout all these pages?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
EngineeringAggieFloridaAggie13

SLB

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2024, 2:54 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 2:49 pm
@SLB you know we all appreciate your insights…but are you really going to post random players again throughout all these pages?
I am looking at players from conferences that assistant coaches and coaches have been part of.
The player from South Dakota went to the same HS as Hill.
Last edited by SLB on April 8th, 2024, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 8th, 2024, 2:55 pm

slcagg wrote:
Random? SLB knows how to pick players. Did you forget about Shulga?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » April 8th, 2024, 2:57 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:55 pm
LKGates wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 9:01 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
Yeah, the real benefits to going to “top schools” like the ones listed above are for access to top professors in their respective fields (research, actual education be damned) and connections in the alumni network (brand name is cool too, I guess). Biochemistry doesn’t change from one university to the next, but the quality of teacher does.

I had a professor at USU who was highly regarded in his line of research, but he was also passionate about teaching, and he was a great teacher. He worked at the U before coming to USU. He told our class that while at the U he had a candid conversation with the department head who said something along the lines of, “it’s great that you are a good teacher and get good student reviews, but if you want to succeed here, research is more important.” That’s at the U. I can only imagine what they tell professors at Harvard or MIT. We are fortunate at USU to have a good balance of research and teaching in our faculty.
USU has a good balance of professors teaching and researching. I only recall one class I had that was largely taught by some TAs. Even then, the professor still taught at least twice a week for a class that met at least 4x per week back in the trimester days.

At the same time, I was disappointed when talking with a USU department head once about an adjunct professor who was finishing up his doctorate that they might bring back the adjunct the next year but that would probably be it with him. Even though he was a great teacher and the students really enjoyed him, he had no real interest in doing the research necessary to get tenure and so keeping him around much longer didn't make a lot of sense.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » April 8th, 2024, 3:13 pm

slcagg wrote:
Hey, if he posts literally every player that enters the portal, then he can claim that he predicted it when inevitably one of them transfers here!
These users thanked the author Aggiesbleedblue for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 8th, 2024, 3:20 pm

I can't even fathom all of the moving parts that Coach Calhoun is certainly dealing right now.

Who he offers and how many spots he has is dependent on who enters the portal or not from USU. Then who actually commits is dependent on who enters the portal or not, specifically Great Osobor. But then who actually commits or not is dependent on I'm sure the other conditional offers a player has that are depending on what happens with those other teams and the portal/recruits.

I'm sure juggling all of that is no small task.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
jackattack

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » April 8th, 2024, 3:27 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 3:20 pm
I can't even fathom all of the moving parts that Coach Calhoun is certainly dealing right now.

Who he offers and how many spots he has is dependent on who enters the portal or not from USU. Then who actually commits is dependent on who enters the portal or not, specifically Great Osobor. But then who actually commits or not is dependent on I'm sure the other conditional offers a player has that are depending on what happens with those other teams and the portal/recruits.

I'm sure juggling all of that is no small task.
Plus, somebody is recruiting like crazy right now with all these Tweets showing USU has shown interest.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » April 8th, 2024, 4:01 pm

22, you are one of the primary reasons I enjoy this board.
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post (total 3):
aggies22cvaltinplater

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 8th, 2024, 4:04 pm

AAU Coach (Agent): "Hey, you need to take a look at my kid"
Secretary in USU AD: "Uh..who? Uh...Send us some tape"
Player tweets: USU has shown interest
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21trevordudeHarcher

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 8th, 2024, 4:23 pm

Take a look at the coach on the previous staff that follows almost all of these guys receiving interest from USU.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
aggies22trevordudeAggiefan33

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » April 8th, 2024, 4:33 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 4:23 pm
Take a look at the coach on the previous staff that follows almost all of these guys receiving interest from USU.
For the uninitiated to x/twitter, which coach is that?
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie in BoiseMrBiggle

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 8th, 2024, 5:13 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 4:33 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
Chris Haslam.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
bigblue32Section_L_AggieAggiePTZaggie07ratofallaggiestrevordude

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2024, 5:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 5:13 pm
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Chris Haslam.
What does this mean?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2024, 5:45 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 5:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Chris Haslam.
What does this mean?
That Haslam is a sleeper agent waiting to poach these dudes for the next school he’s coaching at.

Just kidding, I think the implication is that Haslam has a spot on our staff.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 8th, 2024, 5:48 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 5:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Chris Haslam.
What does this mean?
It's hard to say, it would seem Haslam has been making contact with dudes BUT I know that Eric Brown has been in contact with Kase Wynott and Terrence Hill.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Section_L_Aggieslcagg

AggiePharm

Post by AggiePharm » April 8th, 2024, 8:01 pm

Does the increased assistant salary pool mean we’ll have an additional assistant spot? So we could retain Haslam & Brown, add Calhoun’s 2 Youngstown guys AND add an additional assistant that we’re assumedly recruiting from the Final 4 interviews?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic