What would be interesting, mostly good but slightly bad

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

What would be interesting, mostly good but slightly bad

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 10th, 2024, 3:48 pm

I thought of something that would be nice, and good in most ways but bad in a few ways. We got used to having regular season basketball success, hoping that THIS year would be THE year we win a first round NCAA game to No avail again. And each time, melting down more and more to a point of expecting it but still being disappointed but still being heartbroken about AGIN having an inability to win a first round game. But it was nice and exciting to FINALLY win a First Round game, to a point of most of us barely caring that the Second Round game was as much of a debacle as it was cause it was at least IN the second round and not the first round. Obviously, we hope that we don't have to wait another 23 years to win an NCAA game, and would be nice if we can get to a point of regularly winning the first game.

But what would be interesting is if we can get to a point of regularly winning the first game, to a point of taking it for granted like we have been taking regular season success for granted, and then aspiring to each year, reach the Sweet Sixteen thinking that THIS year is the year we have a good second round matchup, and then melting down(as fans) when we AGAIN and AGAIN each year choke in the second round game expecting each year to be the year we win it. But also kind of bad when regularly reaching the second round only to choke there would set up more and more people to act like jerks over the second round game turning out poorly.

Obviously, most of you think RIGHT NOW that you will never melt down and be ornery over losing a second round game, but for those you that were faithful supporters of football in the 2000s, Setting aside the debate over Blake, how many of you would have said or even thought in the 2000s that you would EVER piss and moan over finishing a football season 6-7 with a bowl loss?

You can make a case that you would hoped a loss to Weber State would never happen and said you would be pissed over that, and that in the grand scheme of things, it was nice in the short term for slightly more happiness to get the wins we did get through that year, but in the long term, we were always going to remember 2022 as the year we lost to Weber State and what we did after that would have little long term effect on how we remembered that year. BUT, there was also plenty of melting down over the 6-7 seasons of 2015, 2017 and 2023 that had some cumulative frustration but didn't have the ONE individual loss that was of the magnitude of Weber State.

And I will lastly acknowledge that what happened in the 2000s does NOT give Blake a pass to not do better, and him firing the DC had to be done, but it is good he did it even though everything points towards him being forced into it.

ineptimusprime

Re: What would be interesting, mostly good but slightly bad

Post by ineptimusprime » April 10th, 2024, 3:58 pm

If Beelzebub came to me in a dream tonight and told me he'd make it so USU would make the tourney and win its first round game every year for the rest of my life, but could never advance past the second round, I would take the deal.

I may end up regretting it, but I'd take it.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 10th, 2024, 4:14 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 3:58 pm
If Beelzebub came to me in a dream tonight and told me he'd make it so USU would make the tourney and win its first round game every year for the rest of my life, but could never advance past the second round, I would take the deal.

It's easy to say you would take it EVERY year, but maybe a different story if it meant we sometimes went 2 or 3 or 4 years between first round wins.

Like in football, we would have taken the deal if we were told after the 2010 season that from 2011-2020, we would only have TWO seasons that we win 11 games spending much of later part of the year in the AP polls, a third year that we get our 10th win in a bowl game, a fourth year that we get our 9th win in a bowl game, and two other years that we would get to 7 wins with a bowl loss, we would have taken the deal. BUT, there was still alot of gnashing of teeth in the other four years, and even some to an extent after the games we DID lose in the six years that were good.

kenpo

Post by kenpo » April 10th, 2024, 5:06 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

It would be worth it just for the betting.
These users thanked the author kenpo for the post (total 2):
AggieBluesMetsJetsAggies

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 10th, 2024, 5:48 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

To the tune of the The Devil Went Down to Georgia:
I'll take your bet you're gonna regret, because I'm the least optimistic there's ever been.

Oohhhh, 'prime is typing on his 'board and you can tell he's really scarred, cuz lovin' the Jayhawks AND the Aggies is pretty f*****g hard.
I'd love to type more but ran out of time. Thanks for your sacrifice, 'prime.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Hoot

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 10th, 2024, 6:51 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 5:48 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

I'll take your bet you're gonna regret, because I'm the least optimistic there's ever been.

Oohhhh, 'prime is typing on his 'board and you can tell he's really scarred, cuz lovin' the Jayhawks AND the Aggies is pretty f*****g hard.
When I was a junior at USU I’d go over to an old friends house to study because we had the same history class. He had this roommate I’ll call Brad. Brad was a nice enough guy but kept to himself. He’d often have friends over and they’d play loud music while they played video games in his room. This would go on late into the night.

One night we were trying to study and my cousin (who was also in the class) couldn’t focus because Devil Went Down to Georgia was playing so loud. He got mad and went and pounded on the door but they didn’t answer so he just opened it.

For the sake of the innocents on this site, I will not disclose what was seen but it involved a livestream and a lack of socks. The music was being used as a cover. We’ve always wondered though, of all songs, why Devil Went Down to Georgia?
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieSeattleAg

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 10th, 2024, 8:13 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 6:51 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

When I was a junior at USU I’d go over to an old friends house to study because we had the same history class. He had this roommate I’ll call Brad. Brad was a nice enough guy but kept to himself. He’d often have friends over and they’d play loud music while they played video games in his room. This would go on late into the night.

One night we were trying to study and my cousin (who was also in the class) couldn’t focus because Devil Went Down to Georgia was playing so loud. He got mad and went and pounded on the door but they didn’t answer so he just opened it.

For the sake of the innocents on this site, I will not disclose what was seen but it involved a livestream and a lack of socks. The music was being used as a cover. We’ve always wondered though, of all songs, why Devil Went Down to Georgia?
Sounds like he was playing with someone's fiddle.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 10th, 2024, 9:06 pm

Reality is fans adjust expectations based on how their team does and the wall their team hits. If you asked a Gonzaga fan 25 years ago they would be upset with deep runs in the tournament every year but not making more final fours, they would have told you that you were crazy, but that's how many Gonzaga fans feel now. If we started regularly winning first round games but never made the sweet sixteen, eventually many Aggie fans would be upset and want more. That would definitely be a good problem to have and hope it happens.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
GameFAQSAggieMetsJetsAggies

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 10th, 2024, 11:59 pm

There would eventually be some disappointment in not getting to a sweet 16 I’d think, I bet even SDSU fans are a little disappointed their generational run was ended by an all time UConn team, and then they got smoked again by them in the s16 the next year

You gotta learn to enjoy the ride, be it early season tournaments, MW regular season titles, MW tourney, or first round nail biters.

The goal going forward should be having a good enough regular season to snag a 4-6 seed so we can avoid the 1-2s until the s16. That’s when you start to make a run like SDSU finally did. When you’re a 7-10 the 1st game will always be tough, let alone the 2nd against a 1-2. Sucks we got stuck with Purdue/Edey this year but at least we got the first round monkey off our backs.

It also helps that the MW looks to finally have some staying power as a 4-5+ bid league. Hopefully UNLV can get it together too

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 11th, 2024, 7:39 am

Well, SDSU and USU lost to the eventual championship game participants. I would say the MWC represented rather well this year. If only UNR doesn't faulter down the stretch in their game. I would never make a deal to have USU eternally in the first round winner circle but no further. I would be dull.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 11th, 2024, 7:25 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 8:13 pm
Hoot wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 6:51 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Sounds like he was playing with someone's fiddle.
Oh someone was getting fiddled alright.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic