Pope to Kentucky

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Re: Pope to Kentucky

Post by SLB » April 12th, 2024, 1:27 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 1:11 pm
FeartheFro wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 12:42 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:I would very much like seeing Dallin Hall transfer to Utah State.
I was sitting right next to Dallin when he was visiting Utah State as a junior in high school. Based on our conversation I would have bet money he was going to commit to USU. He loved the atmosphere and commented how much he would love playing here. It didn’t happen but I know USU was high on his list of potential schools.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Problem is, coach Calhoun doesn't have history here and probably wouldn't put emphasis on guys like Hall or Lohner. Which may or may not be a good thing. We'll see.
Some players on the team know Hall. Isaac Johnson and Mason Falslev could recruit Hall.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Slim80

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » April 12th, 2024, 1:43 pm

If a potential student enrolls at BYU while not a member, they require an LDS leader endorsement in which they commit to living by the Honor Code - no smoking, no drinking, no sex, etc. It would be VERY awkward to have a head coach that didn't comply with those rules recruiting players and telling them that they have to comply. So although actual membership may not be a requirement, living that lifestyle is a requirement and I am sure that it why the "practice" is in place even without a policy.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 12th, 2024, 1:57 pm

It is nice to see other fan bases have to go through the misery of losing head coaches and seeing their team get blown up. As Aggies we have become accustomed to it over the last several years so its nice to see others get the same opportunity.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 12th, 2024, 2:11 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 1:57 pm
It is nice to see other fan bases have to go through the misery of losing head coaches and seeing their team get blown up. As Aggies we have become accustomed to it over the last several years so its nice to see others get the same opportunity.
Especially now with players being freely able to leave. It used to be when a coaching change happened you knew you weren't going to be losing your roster. Not saying Gary 1.0 wouldn't have won at USU, but he definitely benefitted from having guys like Wagner and Turbin already in the program to get the winning momentum going.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Aggie84025

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 12th, 2024, 2:16 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 1:43 pm
If a potential student enrolls at BYU while not a member, they require an LDS leader endorsement in which they commit to living by the Honor Code - no smoking, no drinking, no sex, etc. It would be VERY awkward to have a head coach that didn't comply with those rules recruiting players and telling them that they have to comply. So although actual membership may not be a requirement, living that lifestyle is a requirement and I am sure that it why the "practice" is in place even without a policy.
Good point. I very strongly doubt we'll see a non-LDS head coach at BYU until the honor code is done away with.

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 12th, 2024, 2:21 pm

shoresy wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 2:16 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:
Good point. I very strongly doubt we'll see a non-LDS head coach at BYU until the honor code is done away with.
They’d sooner close up the athletics department 🤞

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 12th, 2024, 2:37 pm

shoresy wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 2:16 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:
It would be really awkward to run the program if you didn't believe it yourself. Not saying it doesn't happen at certain places, but imagine being the coach of byu during 2011 when you have the best team maybe in your history and you have to suspend one of your best players for something that is no big deal almost anywhere else? If you aren't a believer an experience like that would drive you insane.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 12th, 2024, 2:58 pm

The guy I would like to see come our way from the coaching change down there is Isaac Davis
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
aggies22

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 12th, 2024, 3:03 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 2:37 pm
It would be really awkward to run the program if you didn't believe it yourself. Not saying it doesn't happen at certain places, but imagine being the coach of byu during 2011 when you have the best team maybe in your history and you have to suspend one of your best players for something that is no big deal almost anywhere else? If you aren't a believer an experience like that would drive you insane.
One thing related to the honor code not being a big deal anywhere else is that most NFL teams actually laughed when Jamaal Williams told them what he got in trouble for doing at BYU.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 12th, 2024, 7:38 pm

I remember Stew saying that he had some brief conversations with BYU after Steve Cleveland left for Fresno. They told him that he had to have a temple recommend to be hired by BYU. (Stew is/was LDS, although he didn't have a temple recommend and wasn't interested in obtaining one.) So I think the de facto requirement is that head coaches have to be LDS and temple worthy.

On a totally unrelated note, I read an article that said that Billy Donovan had at least some interest in the Kentucky job but said he didn't want to have any serious negotiations until the Bulls' season is over (which could happen as early as next Wednesday). Kentucky told him to pound sand and went with Pope instead. Wow. Maybe they thought he wasn't a serious candidate and didn't want to lose all their players if they left the position vacant for too long. But I'm trying to imagine how an AD who values his job would decide to pass up Billy Donovan in favor of Mark Pope.

kenpo

Post by kenpo » April 13th, 2024, 11:32 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 7:38 pm
I remember Stew saying that he had some brief conversations with BYU after Steve Cleveland left for Fresno. They told him that he had to have a temple recommend to be hired by BYU. (Stew is/was LDS, although he didn't have a temple recommend and wasn't interested in obtaining one.) So I think the de facto requirement is that head coaches have to be LDS and temple worthy.

On a totally unrelated note, I read an article that said that Billy Donovan had at least some interest in the Kentucky job but said he didn't want to have any serious negotiations until the Bulls' season is over (which could happen as early as next Wednesday). Kentucky told him to pound sand and went with Pope instead. Wow. Maybe they thought he wasn't a serious candidate and didn't want to lose all their players if they left the position vacant for too long. But I'm trying to imagine how an AD who values his job would decide to pass up Billy Donovan in favor of Mark Pope.
I'm not sure that you have that right. The rule is if you are a member, you need a temple recommend at ybu. Of course non-members can't have a recommend.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 13th, 2024, 2:21 pm

kenpo wrote:
April 13th, 2024, 11:32 am
StanfordAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2024, 7:38 pm

I'm not sure that you have that right. The rule is if you are a member, you need a temple recommend at ybu. Of course non-members can't have a recommend.
Good point. I guess my point was that simply being LDS isn't sufficient. You have to have a temple recommend as well.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 14th, 2024, 10:56 am

Chris Burgess gonna be the guy for BYU.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 14th, 2024, 11:14 am

ineptimusprime wrote:Chris Burgess gonna be the guy for BYU.
He's the only option that isn't a complete failure imo

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 14th, 2024, 12:26 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 11:14 am
ineptimusprime wrote:Chris Burgess gonna be the guy for BYU.
He's the only option that isn't a complete failure imo

Which ironically, is what he was to Mormons everywhere when he didn’t commit to Roger Reid and BYU in his playing days.

Oh how the tables have turned :stirpot:
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 14th, 2024, 12:31 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:I would very much like seeing Dallin Hall transfer to Utah State.
I was sitting right next to Dallin when he was visiting Utah State as a junior in high school. Based on our conversation I would have bet money he was going to commit to USU. He loved the atmosphere and commented how much he would love playing here. It didn’t happen but I know USU was high on his list of potential schools.

Were you guys in the same Freemont High School class with the same teacher?
Last edited by Aggie in Boise on April 14th, 2024, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 14th, 2024, 12:33 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 12:31 pm
FeartheFro wrote:

We you guys in the same Freemont High School class with the same teacher?
Were you guys there when there was the fight over saved seats at church?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 14th, 2024, 12:38 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 12:33 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:

I haven't been to Plain City since 2008 but below are links to the fight you are referencing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... space.html

https://www.fox13now.com/2013/07/01/pol ... lds-church

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 14th, 2024, 1:17 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:

Class of 82 baby!!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 14th, 2024, 1:27 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 12:38 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:

I haven't been to Plain City since 2008 but below are links to the fight you are referencing.

Yeah I have read all the articles that are out there about the fight. I thought it sounded funny but I know the bishop of the ward didn't think it was funny. I also heard he didn't want to appear on the news to talk about it but he gave in and did it cause the pressured him and pressured him into doing it.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 14th, 2024, 1:29 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 1:17 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:

Class of 82 baby!!

They didn't have have Fremont in 82. Kids in Plain City back then went to Weber. Next year, some of the Fremont population will be reassigned to the new Westfield high.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 14th, 2024, 1:48 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 1:17 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:

Class of 82 baby!!

So, Weber High?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 15th, 2024, 3:11 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 12:38 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:

I know it's immature, but it's kinda funny when someone gets hit by a Dodge.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 15th, 2024, 9:14 pm

If byu pulls off this Kevin Young hire that’s a great get for them.

He was a finalist for the Nets job, is highly respected, and is considered to be on the fast track to an NBA head coaching job.

Chris Burgess was very underwhelming. But Kevin Young is a different ballgame.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 15th, 2024, 9:26 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 9:14 pm

He was a finalist for the Nets job, is highly respected, and is considered to be on the fast track to an NBA head coaching job.

I still dont get the love for Chris Burgess. Utah hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since he became an assistant there
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Aggie in Boise

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 15th, 2024, 9:35 pm

April 15th, 2024, 9:26 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I still dont get the love for Chris Burgess. Utah hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since he became an assistant there
There is not a lot of love for Burgess. He is just the only realistic option that will A)go the byu. And B) had not already failed as a head coach or have some other big red flag. And C) is LDS.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 15th, 2024, 11:28 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 9:35 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

There is not a lot of love for Burgess. He is just the only realistic option that will A)go the byu. And B) had not already failed as a head coach or have some other big red flag. And C) is LDS.
Just ybu fans trying to make lemonade out of dogsh*t

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » April 16th, 2024, 5:05 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 12:26 pm
Which ironically, is what he was to Mormons everywhere when he didn’t commit to Roger Reid and BYU in his playing days.

Oh how the tables have turned :stirpot:
nuh uh. i'm a mormon now and i was then. and i didn't even know who he was at the time nor would i have cared. obviously, you meant your statement very literally and mathematically so i'm taking it that way.

edaw33

Post by edaw33 » April 16th, 2024, 8:29 am

Collin Chandler just de-committed from BYU and is joining Pope in Kentucky. YBU fan base is melting down. Great to see it after all the crap they threw our way as Danny was leaving.
These users thanked the author edaw33 for the post:
bigblue32

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 16th, 2024, 8:34 am

That probably just means that they will overpay to keep some of their players now.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 16th, 2024, 9:11 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 9:35 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I wonder how Burgess will do as a head coach - it doesnt seem like it fits his personality. But IMO he is a very good big man coach and a great recruiter. If I were him I would be following Pope to Kentucky.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 16th, 2024, 9:14 am

Hopefully Burgess is perfectly mediocre.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
EngineeringAggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

shoresy

Post by shoresy » April 16th, 2024, 9:26 am

Collin Chandler is the real deal. That one's gotta really sting.

I get the feeling that BYU might have some pretty rough years coming up.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 16th, 2024, 9:34 am

shoresy wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 9:26 am

I think most here know that nothing would make me happier but as we proved last season, your fortune can change in a hurry in hoops.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 16th, 2024, 9:36 am

shoresy wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 9:26 am

Utah and BYU are sinking ships.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic