Coaching Observation

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieHoops
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Coaching Observation

Post by AggieHoops » December 30th, 2010, 8:40 am

Nice to see that Hawaii is much better than last year. The game over there is going to be very tough. They have some good players and their new Coach has done a great job.

During the game last night I notice something that I have always questioned. Several times Coach Jones just absolutely lost it. He was throwing his notebook and ripping every player on the floor. Once he was all over Brady and then Tai about a switch or something. Tai had had enough and actually went over to the bench and had a heated discussion with Jones. Then another time Coach Jones was ripping Newbold after Hawaii’s #3 made a tough contested 3 pointer (he did that a few times last night, he was impressive) anyway, you could see Tyler saying what do you want me to do? I hit his hand on the shot and he still made it. Tyler just shook his head like wow.

I have no problem with coaches getting on the players for dumb mistakes etc., but I don’t see alot of positive feedback in a game. This brings me to my question. Why is it that most Coaches seem to be so over the top and negative towards their players? Last year at Utah, Boylen went after one of his players in the game against USU and an assistant Coach had to restrain Boylen. We have all seen some of the antics that famous College Coaches have done and become know for over the years. If you have ever sat close enough to a bench to actually hear what the coaches say, some of you might be shocked. So why is that? If any of us in our occupations treated any employee like that we would have serious trouble. Can you imagine a supervisor going off in a meeting throwing things and using every word they could think of. What about a Professor at the school, what if they went off on their students all of the time. What is worse is that this is seen at all levels of Coaching from grade school on up. What is the difference that makes it ok for Coaches to do this yet everywhere else it is frowned upon. Is it a requirement to be a Coach to be like that or are there successful Coaches that don’t have to go there?

Does any of this matter if you are a successful Coach? Is there a reason Coaches don’t get better results building players up? And what makes it Ok for some players to be able to argue back while others know they had better be quiet?