Full Court Press struggles are GOOD!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
trehogi74
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Full Court Press struggles are GOOD!

Post by trehogi74 » January 14th, 2011, 12:01 am

Over the years this has been the achilles heel for this program. Seems like every time the Ags get into post-season play, the bigger faster stronger teams from bigger fast stronger conferences press us and we turn the ball over immediately. (For whatever reason it seems like our guys always try and pass the ball through the hands of the defender who is standing there with his hands up. For the life of me I cannot understand why there isn't a pump fake before a pass is made with all that ball pressure).

My point is that usually this doesn't come to light until the end of the season, and I'm glad this issue is coming to life now. At least the team gets to practice against teams that aren't "bigger-faster-stronger" in the WAC. They'll be better prepared later on I hope.

Go Ags! Long live King Morrill!

dyedblue

Re: Full Court Press struggles are GOOD!

Post by dyedblue » January 14th, 2011, 12:09 am

First off, this was a great win and really puts us in the pole position for the WAC. A couple of more road wins and the title is ours.

That being said, I am not too confident we can correct it. We have struggled mightily with the press and ball pressure defense all year long. Denver and G-town really exploited us. Bakersfield and BYU gave us trouble. We have a big strong PG and a good ball handling forward in Tai, but we struggle turning the ball over under pressure.
Last edited by dyedblue on January 14th, 2011, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » January 14th, 2011, 12:33 am

first, pane needs to calm down. second, he needs to catch the inbound pass at the free throw line, not the corner of the court. third, he needs to save his dribble until he is composed and not jump when he passes.

with his strength, he should break a press fairly easily. i'm guessing he doesn't break it because his bball IQ doesn't seem to be that high. he tries to outrun the defense.

akborder
Has thanked: 0

Post by akborder » January 14th, 2011, 9:15 am

I agree with this post 10000%. Although it was painful to watch last night, it is good we are getting exposed to this now so we can prepare now and the rest of the season. That way we don't get creamed in the tourney! :scotsman: :rock: :cheers:

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » January 14th, 2011, 9:51 am

For amazing as Stew's offense and defense is, he has to have the worse press breakers in college basketball. It's been a problem since I can remember.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 14th, 2011, 10:22 am

+1 TrueAG, press-break has always been Stew's achilles heel. Maybe it's time to implement a few new ways of breaking the press. While I agree it's good to have this practice now, we've already gotten this wake up call with G-Town and Denver and we still can't handle it. You can do it Stew! Maybe wikipedia has the answer?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 14th, 2011, 10:38 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:+1 TrueAG, press-break has always been Stew's achilles heel. Maybe it's time to implement a few new ways of breaking the press. While I agree it's good to have this practice now, we've already gotten this wake up call with G-Town and Denver and we still can't handle it. You can do it Stew! Maybe wikipedia has the answer?
Give Tai club.
Tai club press.
Press go away.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Locked Previous topicNext topic