Jay Don Blake added to the Utah Hall of Fame

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
NowhereLandAggie

Jay Don Blake added to the Utah Hall of Fame

Post by NowhereLandAggie » September 21st, 2021, 7:30 am

Nice for the university to recognize this achievement. If I recall, he is the only NCAA champ in USU's history, though I could be wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/USUAthletics/p ... 06/?type=3

https://www.abc4.com/sports/nick-rimand ... ame-class/

stang

Re: Jay Don Blake added to the Utah Hall of Fame

Post by stang » September 21st, 2021, 11:56 am

That's great news, glad to hear it.

The unfortunate part is that JDB has distanced himself from Utah State, and is now actually a BYU booster. I don't know the full story as to why, but he's actually been somewhat vocally opposed to USU and hasn't done anything to help support or promote the school or golf program in recent decades.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » September 21st, 2021, 2:11 pm

stang wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 11:56 am
That's great news, glad to hear it.

The unfortunate part is that JDB has distanced himself from Utah State, and is now actually a BYU booster. I don't know the full story as to why, but he's actually been somewhat vocally opposed to USU and hasn't done anything to help support or promote the school or golf program in recent decades.
I had heard that on the board here, so I thought USU recognizing was significant. :noidea:

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » September 21st, 2021, 2:27 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 7:30 am
Nice for the university to recognize this achievement. If I recall, he is the only NCAA champ in USU's history, though I could be wrong.

Track and Field has three athletes combining for five NCAA titles. Mark Enyeart (3), Glenn Passey, and Jerry Cerulla.

Softball won the 1980 and 1981 AIAW National Championships. (NCAA didn't sponsor Div. I women's sports until after 1981)

Volleyball won the 1978 AIAW National Championship.
These users thanked the author sancho839 for the post:
vegasaggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » September 21st, 2021, 2:43 pm

sancho839 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 2:27 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

Track and Field has three athletes combining for five NCAA titles. Mark Enyeart (3), Glenn Passey, and Jerry Cerulla.

Softball won the 1980 and 1981 AIAW National Championships. (NCAA didn't sponsor Div. I women's sports until after 1981)

Volleyball won the 1978 AIAW National Championship.
I knew about softball and volleyball, I meant individual.

I did not know about Track and Field, thanks for the updates.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
sancho839

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 21st, 2021, 3:01 pm

I've tried to find out how L Jay Silvester (of Bear River HS and USU) did at nationals while throwing disk and putting shot at USU. All I can find is stuff about his Olympics appearances and his '72 silver in the discuss. Anyone know?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » September 21st, 2021, 3:09 pm

USU78 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 3:01 pm
I've tried to find out how L Jay Silvester (of Bear River HS and USU) did at nationals while throwing disk and putting shot at USU. All I can find is stuff about his Olympics appearances and his '72 silver in the discuss. Anyone know?
Outdoor shot put All-American (1958) and two time discus All-American (1958-59).
These users thanked the author sancho839 for the post:
USU78

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 21st, 2021, 4:40 pm

sancho839 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 3:09 pm
USU78 wrote:
Outdoor shot put All-American (1958) and two time discus All-American (1958-59).
But not gold medalist either year, I take it?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » September 22nd, 2021, 8:14 am

USU78 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 4:40 pm
sancho839 wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 3:09 pm
USU78 wrote:
But not gold medalist either year, I take it?
Nope

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 23rd, 2021, 11:55 pm

Anyone know the story behind him distancing himself from USU and becoming a BYU booster?

stang

Post by stang » September 24th, 2021, 9:34 am

swordsman1989 wrote:Anyone know the story behind him distancing himself from USU and becoming a BYU booster?
I don’t know the details and I don’t want to speculate, but from what I’ve been told it’s at least in part due to the lack of money and resources USU puts into its golf program. Which I understand. We’ve had the same piss poor coach for 22 years.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 24th, 2021, 10:38 am

stang wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 9:34 am
swordsman1989 wrote:Anyone know the story behind him distancing himself from USU and becoming a BYU booster?
I don’t know the details and I don’t want to speculate, but from what I’ve been told it’s at least in part due to the lack of money and resources USU puts into its golf program. Which I understand. We’ve had the same piss poor coach for 22 years.
Guess we should cut the football and basketball budget so we can get a better golf program!

stang

Post by stang » September 24th, 2021, 12:43 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 10:38 am
stang wrote:
Guess we should cut the football and basketball budget so we can get a better golf program!
Thank you for the hyperbole. It was asked why one of the most successful athletes in USU's history no longer gives a damn about Utah State, and what I've been told by multiple people who would know such things is that the AD's indifference to the program's atrocious performance in recent decades is a contributing factor.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 24th, 2021, 1:38 pm

stang wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 12:43 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 10:38 am
stang wrote:
Thank you for the hyperbole. It was asked why one of the most successful athletes in USU's history no longer gives a damn about Utah State, and what I've been told by multiple people who would know such things is that the AD's indifference to the program's atrocious performance in recent decades is a contributing factor.
Someone's sarcasm meter is in need of a tune up.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 24th, 2021, 4:15 pm

stang wrote:
Without knowing the answer - I'm wondering to myself:

"How much money and how much involvement did Jay Don Blake, as a successful professional golfer, have in trying to improve the golf program at USU?" Did he use his fame and success to advance the program?

Maybe he has donated a lot of money to the program? I don't know.

Maybe he tried to donate but the school wouldn't take his money?

Maybe he has tried to get involved with the program and the coaches didn't want his help or want him around their program?

Maybe he found it too easy to forget the school he attended and bag on their lack of resources and just join up with the popular kids?

I don't know.

Eutaw St. Aggie

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 25th, 2021, 12:33 am

Yossarian wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 4:15 pm
stang wrote:

"How much money and how much involvement did Jay Don Blake, as a successful professional golfer, have in trying to improve the golf program at USU?" Did he use his fame and success to advance the program?

Maybe he has tried to get involved with the program and the coaches didn't want his help or want him around their program?

Maybe he found it too easy to forget the school he attended and bag on their lack of resources and just join up with the popular kids?

I don't know.
Regarding the first part, I am wondering how much money a golfer with his profile would have actually made. Yes, he was successful, but he was by no means a superstar golfer. He had one career win on the PGA tour, his best ever finish in a major was tied for 6th in the 1992 U.S. Open, and his highest ever ranking was #63. Not exactly the stuff legends are made of. I am sure he made a nice living, but it is doubtful he made millions, and outside of very die hard golf fans, he certainly does not carry a lot of name recognition.

I think a lot of people think professional athletes, musicians, and actors are all rolling in the dough, when the reality is that outside of a select few, most do not end up with millions. I have a pretty good friend in aviation who was, and occasionally still is, a member of a pretty successful band with a couple of top 40 hits, and they have had several songs used in successful movie soundtracks as well. Talking with him about his experiences, it is clear that while for a while in the 1990s, when they were at their peak of popularity, while things were nice for him, he never was rolling in the cash. As he puts it, he was able to afford a decent and clean apartment in Los Angeles, bought a new Honda Accord with cash, and had enough money to pay for his flight training without going in to debt. Comfortable, but not opulent or luxurious. Today, he is not officially a member of the band, but he still performs with them on occasion (he did about a dozen shows with them when they were on tour this past summer), and he did write one of the songs on the new album they released earlier this year. But he said he doesn't really make any money off of that, and he never sees any royalty checks these days. But anyway, my first thought when I found out what he did before getting in to aviation was that he must have been living large for a while. But he really destroyed that myth. Again, he said it is very few bands, the ones that achieve superstar status, that ever make money like that. So that again leads me to believe that Jay Don Blake may not have had the kind of money to affect the golf program to much of a degree, even if he had donated a large amount of his winnings to the program.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2021, 6:04 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 12:33 am
Yossarian wrote:
stang wrote:

I don't know.
Regarding the first part, I am wondering how much money a golfer with his profile would have actually made. Yes, he was successful, but he was by no means a superstar golfer. He had one career win on the PGA tour, his best ever finish in a major was tied for 6th in the 1992 U.S. Open, and his highest ever ranking was #63. Not exactly the stuff legends are made of. I am sure he made a nice living, but it is doubtful he made millions, and outside of very die hard golf fans, he certainly does not carry a lot of name recognition.

I think a lot of people think professional athletes, musicians, and actors are all rolling in the dough, when the reality is that outside of a select few, most do not end up with millions. I have a pretty good friend in aviation who was, and occasionally still is, a member of a pretty successful band with a couple of top 40 hits, and they have had several songs used in successful movie soundtracks as well. Talking with him about his experiences, it is clear that while for a while in the 1990s, when they were at their peak of popularity, while things were nice for him, he never was rolling in the cash. As he puts it, he was able to afford a decent and clean apartment in Los Angeles, bought a new Honda Accord with cash, and had enough money to pay for his flight training without going in to debt. Comfortable, but not opulent or luxurious. Today, he is not officially a member of the band, but he still performs with them on occasion (he did about a dozen shows with them when they were on tour this past summer), and he did write one of the songs on the new album they released earlier this year. But he said he doesn't really make any money off of that, and he never sees any royalty checks these days. But anyway, my first thought when I found out what he did before getting in to aviation was that he must have been living large for a while. But he really destroyed that myth. Again, he said it is very few bands, the ones that achieve superstar status, that ever make money like that. So that again leads me to believe that Jay Don Blake may not have had the kind of money to affect the golf program to much of a degree, even if he had donated a large amount of his winnings to the program.
I'm a 80s/90s music kid. I'm interested to know who the dude is?

Pokitren
Has thanked: 0

Post by Pokitren » September 27th, 2021, 6:10 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/USUAthletics/photos/a.10151648932823106/10158374720138106/?type=3

https://www.abc4.com/sports/nick-rimando-haloti-ngata-headline-utah-sports-hall-of-fame-class-home
Yes, it's really nice. Because I thought he was so inconspicuous. Thank you.
swordsman1989 wrote:

All right, so be it. At least he didn't perform at the worst level.
Last edited by Pokitren on October 7th, 2021, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 27th, 2021, 6:53 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 6:04 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
stang wrote:

I don't know.

New Kids on the Block

Aggies All the Way!

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 27th, 2021, 9:57 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 6:53 am
aggies22 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
stang wrote:

I don't know.

New Kids on the Block
Well close...at least geographically. Like New Kids on the Block, this band is also from Boston.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2021, 10:19 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 9:57 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
stang wrote:

I don't know.

New Kids on the Block
Well close...at least geographically. Like New Kids on the Block, this band is also from Boston.
New Edition?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 27th, 2021, 10:41 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 10:19 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
stang wrote:

I don't know.

New Kids on the Block
New Edition?
I know that Bruce Dickinson - the lead singer for Iron Maiden - is a commercial airline pilot (and accomplished fencer, as well). But Iron Maiden is not from Boston and I would guess that they would be on the more successful side. Perhaps it is the band "Boston"?

The money in the music industry is in writing the hit songs and being a music producer.

A couple of bands that I like are from the Boston area:

Dropkick Murphy's
Pixies

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 27th, 2021, 10:49 am

Aerosmith

Go Aggies!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2021, 11:41 am

Yossarian wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 10:41 am
aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 10:19 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
stang wrote:

I don't know.

New Kids on the Block
New Edition?
I know that Bruce Dickinson - the lead singer for Iron Maiden - is a commercial airline pilot (and accomplished fencer, as well). But Iron Maiden is not from Boston and I would guess that they would be on the more successful side. Perhaps it is the band "Boston"?

The money in the music industry is in writing the hit songs and being a music producer.

A couple of bands that I like are from the Boston area:

Dropkick Murphy's
Pixies
Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Yossarian

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » September 30th, 2021, 2:46 pm

Some Clarification- the Utah Sports Hall of Fame is not connected to Utah State University. The qualification to be inducted
into their Hall of Fame is that the player had to have been all-American or recognized for national or international accomplishments. Their is also a residency requirements where they must have lived in Utah growing up or had residency
after their playing days. Jay Don joined Hali Ngata, Nick Rimando, and two female Olympians in this year class.
In Jay Dons inductions speech he talked about how much he loved USU and Logan and was greatful to USU and his time
here. Utah State was well represented at the Hall of Fame Ceremony.
An interesting story he told was that when he came on a recruiting visit. The golf coach told him they wanted him to play a round of golf with someone in the athletic department and if he won he could receive a scholarship. He arrived for his match and none other than Ladell Anderson showed up. Jay Don said he beat Ladell handily and was given the scholarship.

Jay Dons philanthropic work is now with the Junior Golf Program in Utah and that is what he is passionate about.
He is an Aggie and was inducted with an Aggie flag behind him.

If you are in Salt Lake and Have some time go visit the USHOF museum in the crossroads mall. Their are videos of him
along with about 30 other Aggies that are inspiring and will make you proud to be an aggie. The museum is free and is used to
promote the legacy of sports in the state of Utah.
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post (total 2):
NVAggieYossarian

Locked Previous topicNext topic