Karl Benson's most strategic move

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
silentmaster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by silentmaster » May 11th, 2012, 10:25 am

during his tenure as WAC commissioner was to jump off to join the Sun Belt. Had he had that kind of vision aforethought with WAC conference membership several years ago, perhaps things would be different for the WAC. Of course, USU is in a conference situation now that I think is pretty close to ideal, but it wasn't fun to be at the mercy of others.

VegasAggie72

Re: Karl Benson's most strategic move

Post by VegasAggie72 » May 11th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Honest question: why do Benson, Thompson, the former BE commissioner, the former Big 12 commissioner get so much heat in the realignment issues? What were they supposed to do? There is a well established hierarchy in college conferences, and no matter how good of a commissioner you are, if a better conference comes calling, you are probably going to lose that school. No amount of planning or foresight will prevent it. How was Benson supposed to convince Boise to stay? What could he have done differently?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 11th, 2012, 9:52 pm

VegasAggie72 wrote:Honest question: why do Benson, Thompson, the former BE commissioner, the former Big 12 commissioner get so much heat in the realignment issues? What were they supposed to do? There is a well established hierarchy in college conferences, and no matter how good of a commissioner you are, if a better conference comes calling, you are probably going to lose that school. No amount of planning or foresight will prevent it. How was Benson supposed to convince Boise to stay? What could he have done differently?
Been proactive instead of reactive. While we were at the brunt of the outcome of the project, what Hair did was a far more cutthroat and successful move than what Karl did.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 11th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Don't be moving your daughter into college during the biggest and most crucial week in determining the conference's future.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » May 12th, 2012, 9:22 am

When you have Captained two boats into icebergs you deserve to hang.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 12th, 2012, 10:36 am

VegasAggie72 wrote:Honest question: why do Benson, Thompson, the former BE commissioner, the former Big 12 commissioner get so much heat in the realignment issues? What were they supposed to do? There is a well established hierarchy in college conferences, and no matter how good of a commissioner you are, if a better conference comes calling, you are probably going to lose that school. No amount of planning or foresight will prevent it. How was Benson supposed to convince Boise to stay? What could he have done differently?
VegasAggie, you happen to be right. I'm not waaaay inside, but I get really solid and timely and some back chanel information. University presidents make conferences. Folks on this board ought to research what a commissioners job really is, and what little pure authority a commissioner commands. He is at the service of the school presidents.

I made a discreet inquiry to a certain party who knows and interchanges well with both Benson and Thompson. He rated Benson as brighter and more able than Thompson, while putting neither man down.

Folks, it's not like a commissioner just gathers schools or spawns ideas and then by himself acts freely on them. The "Project" was a fantastic idea, and so close to happening...24 to 48 hours. Nevada and Fresno abandoned the concept they had been a part of generating...or it wouldn't have gotten to that point........PERIOD.

VegasAggie72

Post by VegasAggie72 » May 15th, 2012, 5:32 pm

TreeSap - wasn't he being "proactive" with project? How could he have anticipated NV and FSU backing out after they signed the $5 million pact? And as "Cutthroat" as Hair supposedly was in pillaging the WAC, his conference still got pillaged when bigger conferences came calling (on his watch, he has seen Utah, BYU, TCU, Boise and SDSU leave). The only reason he still has a job/conference is because he had an inferior conference (WAC) to raid.

Bottom line, there is an established hierarchy in conference affiliation. If a conference higher on the totem pole comes calling, the school in the inferior conference is going to jump 99 times out of a 100, regardless of how proactive a commissioner is. Money will always rule the day.

And come on, hipster, you're really going to rip on a guy for moving his daughter to college? I look forward to the day your firstborn goes to college (hopefully USU) and you tell her sorry, i can't go with you, something important might happen at work today. lol.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 15th, 2012, 6:03 pm

You know what you‘re so right! I just researched it and according to California law that was the only day she could have possibly moved in. So in essence KB was forced to neglect the job and responsibility that he applied and was being paid for.
And you know what I think i‘ll take your advice and tell the hospital to hold all my surgery patients until i‘ve unloaded little Covington‘s last box of high school trophies.

VegasAggie72

Post by VegasAggie72 » May 15th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Hipster - you really, truly, think Benson could've done something different to save the WAC? I'd bet money even if he was hanging around his office that day, NV and Fresno still leave.

Besides, even if your assumption is correct, we should be happy he screwed up. If the WAC doesn't implode, we probably don't end up in the MWC, right?

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 15th, 2012, 7:19 pm

I just find it funny we‘re defending a guy who wouldn‘t show up to our last two basket title games, didn‘t worry about expansion (Montanas? N. Texas) until the bigger conferences started scrambling and the WAC brand was weakened, and kissed boise‘s arse and neglected everyone else for the past decade to name a few shortcomings.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 15th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Not showing up to give is the trophy was very poor taste. He probably had to pick his daughter up and bring her home for spring break.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 15th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Bing!

89LaytonAg

Post by 89LaytonAg » May 16th, 2012, 8:28 am

Hipster, I couldn't agree more with you. The one time Peanuthead was proactive (the project) he botched the execution i.e. a worthless contract.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 16th, 2012, 8:35 am

Thanks for the back up! Lancer or Knight?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 16th, 2012, 9:55 am

The problem was the way he wrote the contract. He wrote that BYU had to enter the WAC in order for the contract to take affect, and cause of that, he had to settle for the $900,000 he did get from Fresno and Nevada. He needed to not add the clause that BYU had to come into the WAC in order for the buyout to be in affect.

VegasAggie72

Post by VegasAggie72 » May 16th, 2012, 10:17 am

Not defending the guy; just refuse to blame him for the demise of the WAC. I'm shocked people think he could've done something differently to "save the WAC." Wonder what the Horizon or CAA commissioners were doing the past few weeks when the A10 poached Butler and VCU?

You've refused to answer the question: if he didn't take his daughter to school the weekend in question, does he save the WAC and does it still exist? If so, how? My point is, it doesn't matter what he did or didn't do, once a better conference comes calling, the school is going to leave.

And the comment on Karl writing the contract, if the WAC was relying on a commissioner to write a legal document and not their legal counsel, well then, that's a much bigger issue.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 16th, 2012, 1:58 pm

There in lies the problem right? We don‘t know if he could have saved the conference had he shown up to work that day. I do know that on that day when decisions were being made that CT was actively making calls while CB was carrying a lava lamp inside.

However above all CB should have fortified the WAC while it had value.

89LaytonAg

Post by 89LaytonAg » May 17th, 2012, 8:10 am

By the time Karl was moving his daughter in the die was cast. His failure was in getting beat by Thompson every time they went head to head. Reference the basketball deal with the Missouri Valley Conference and letting BYU write the contract.
P.S. Hipster I am a Lancer.

VegasAggie72

Post by VegasAggie72 » May 17th, 2012, 10:52 am

Thank you Layton for getting my point.

Hipster - even when the WAC had value, there was no one Benson could've added to get NV/Fresno/Boise or anyone else to stay. What if he had persuaded Montana/MT ST or N. Texas to come? Do you think those teams would've made a difference? Nope, NV and Fresno still leave for greener pastures.

If you want to blame someone, blame Nebraska. There move to the Big 10 triggered this round of realignment. Remember, the MWC had actually passed on adding Boise St, then NE leaves for Big 10, followed by Utah/Colorado to the Pac 12, at which point MWC grabbed Boise.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 17th, 2012, 1:11 pm

If he would have convinced the Montanas to make the jump and had N. Texas on board, he could have had time to strengthen those programs and the conference so that it could have survived. You're right, Nevada and Fresno would probably still have left, but then at the conference wouldn't have become the sinking ship it was. And you never know. If he's proactive and adds those teams 4 years ago or so, maybe the WAC would have been strong enough to attract some MWC teams away from the mtn contract and CT. Thats the thing with KB, you never know what could have been, because he never did anything until forced to act out of survival.

But its cool. We can agree to disagree, and you can continue to bow down to a graven image of Mr. Peanut, that actually smells like peanuts when you scratch it.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 17th, 2012, 8:18 pm

He did add Denver, Seattle, UT-Arlington, UTSA, and Texas State once the WAC had been completely decimated.

Nevermind the fact that none of those schools had ever played a down in D1A football. They were basketball powerhouses! I mean, the when they joined their combined average RPI over the previous 5 years was 239! That's a pretty big number right there... Oh wait... :bangwall:

Let's also not forget how many times he publicly invited North Texas, or how he shamelessly (and publicly) begged the WAC defectors to rejoin the conference.

In the meantime what was Hair doing? Inviting Boise State (2 BCS Bowl Wins) as a preemptive move before Utah left. Then inviting Fresno State & Nevada (traditional WAC football powerhouses) right as they found out BYU was leaving (and before TCU left), thwarting "the project" right before it was executed. Had the project gone through it could have possibly damaged or even disbanded the MWC. Hair was proactive and immediately got the upper hand while Peanut was out of the office moving his daughter into college.

Once they had the upper hand they went ahead and invited Hawaii (traditional WAC powerhouse, 1 BCS Bowl appearance) to join in football only and set up a system whereby Hawaii would pay all the other teams to travel to the islands for the games.

In the meantime he was lobbying to get the MWC a chance at a BCS auto-bid, looking into setting up an alliance or merger with Conference USA, and finding ways to improve a less than desirable TV contract.

But by then Karl Benson had abandoned ship leaving the sinking ship to an "interim" commissioner. We still haven't named a commissioner and no one has a clue where the WAC basketball tournament will be next year.

As the nail in the coffin, Hair further stabilizes the MWC by inviting Utah State and SJSU to join a great regional conference of like minded institutions. The conference is apparently stable enough now to have Boise State thinking seriously about rejoining with SDSU probably not far behind.

It's not about what Karl Benson could or could not have done if he would have acted like a competent commissioner... It's about what he did (or didn't do) while commissioner of the WAC. At least he came that one time when we won the WAC Championship in basketball (and announced it as our first title even though it was a repeat title for us). He did do that.

Locked Previous topicNext topic