Lighting up the A

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
dhilk3785

Re: Lighting up the A

Post by dhilk3785 » October 18th, 2015, 11:07 am

That is awesome! I definitely would buy one.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 20th, 2015, 8:08 am

jpswensen wrote:Very rough prototype done. I can't quite space the LEDs right on my protoboard and I think I may need to tone down the brightness. I also think it looks better live than in the picture. For some reason the picture from my iPhone is too saturated and it messes with the other colors.
Awesome! I got the 3d printing part done. Now I just have to paint and figure out how to put the lights on. When you get it finalized can you let me know what parts you ordered to light it and stuff?

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 20th, 2015, 9:10 am

so impressive.

i have tried to pick up 3D modeling with sketchup but i really suck at it.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 20th, 2015, 11:11 am

I would buy also...probably more than one. My whole family are Aggies, and I think all deserve one!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 20th, 2015, 11:14 am

AndroidAggie wrote:so impressive.

i have tried to pick up 3D modeling with sketchup but i really suck at it.
If you qualify for a student version, SolidWorks Student Edition is $150 and is both the easiest to use and easiest to learn. It comes with tons of tutorials that if you take the time to go through will be fairly proficient. Most website that share 3D models also give Solidworks files. A full SolidWorks license is about $2500 up front and then $750 per year for updates.

A free option that is getting better but still needs some work (it is light years ahead of SketchUp) is made by a bunch of people who broke away from SolidWorks. It is a web app called OnShape. Their "free" level of account allows you to have an unlimited number of public drawings and 5 private drawings. They also have a ton of tutorials also, but they are just behind SolidWorks in almost every way.

There is another free option that a lot of "maker" types really like. It is called OpenSCAD (http://www.openscad.org/) and is a Javascript-like language that lets you create parts by creating primatives (squares, circles, cylinders, cubes, polygons and their extrusions) and then lets you do 3D logic on them (UNION, DIFFERENCE, INTERSECTION).

Edit: Added a third option because I think I remember saying once you know how to code well

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 20th, 2015, 8:06 pm

"know how to code well"

more like, i haven't been fired. i'm only kinda familiar with javascript. truth is i don't have time. i tell myself i do, but i don't.

seriously, though, this project is very awesome.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 20th, 2015, 10:01 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:The specific "True Aggie" would have to be copyrighted, it might be if it's considered art. A $150 with an intellectual property attorney may be necessary. The CLC (athletics) licensing seems pretty simple for the local license, but this would probably be through the University (=slow moving bureaucracy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just sent an email to the USU Trademark Licensing office. Some schools post their fees online, but USU doesn't. I think I can qualify for the "Local Licensing" because I am an Aggie alumnus (which has a $50 fee for the national CLC licensing body that most universities use), but they don't give their up-front and per-item royalty costs online. Maybe they tailor it to the group applying. The up-front costs would need to be pretty low for it to be worth it to me (and to convince my wife) to actually start producing something.

My side projects:

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 21st, 2015, 9:12 am

It's in the CLC application. USU's is among the lowest. I've got it on my computer somewhere, I'll look when I go to work.

Hail Aggies!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 21st, 2015, 3:03 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:It's in the CLC application. USU's is among the lowest. I've got it on my computer somewhere, I'll look when I go to work.

I found that. Thanks for pointing it out, and USU's rates do seem quite reasonable. However, I still can't find a definition on their website of Advance Categories A, B, and C. There seems to be differences for apparel vs merchandise vs promotional items. Also, there are a lot of requirements to even get licensed: liability insurance, UL testing and certification, either company accounting or a business plan, etc. Ugh red tape sucks.

My side projects:

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 21st, 2015, 3:54 pm

Might be worth a PM to youessyou (i think) as he has a license for his business.

Hail Aggies!

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 21st, 2015, 7:19 pm

Not smart enough to build one, but if you get these down, would be open to buy one.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 23rd, 2015, 1:28 am

Getting closer. I have the majority of the web framework up and running. The nice thing is that I wrote a little utility so that I can do all of the web design except a few key pieces that interact with the hardware using Dreamweaver or another tool and then just generate all the code to be loaded to the board from the utility.

Most of what I have done so far can be found at:
https://github.com/jpswensen/ESP8266_WebGen

Here are a few pictures of how the user interface is coming along. That main page is empty now, but it will let your either control the lights manually or set it to "when we win, make it blue" mode.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10-23,12.22.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10-23,12.22.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10-23,12.22.23 AM.png

My side projects:

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 23rd, 2015, 10:34 am

i just followed you on github

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 27th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Looks like a commercial version of this likely isn't going to happen. The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), which is sort of a licensing clearinghouse for almost all universities, requires something called UL certification for any electronic product that will involve a university trademark. The problem is that UL certification (safety + RF emissions) is at least $8k from what I can find searching around the internet. It would take selling a boatload of these to actually have it worth getting it certified. I have an email in to the CLC folks to see if using all UL certified subcomponents is allowed, but I suspect their answer will be "no".

I will still make all my circuit board designs, website designs, code, and fabrication instructions available to everyone, but I can't imagine it being financially worth it for me to actually start selling these things. I am further along (e.g. the website is almost done and I am ready to ship off the circuit board for fab). I'll keep submitting as I make more progress.

My side projects:

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 27th, 2015, 7:00 pm

So how about making them on an Aggie 'etsy' shop? Read, sell them here?

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk. Please forgive my improper grammar and/or spelling issues.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 27th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Could you sell the electrical components separate from the A?

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 27th, 2015, 9:55 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:Could you sell the electrical components separate from the A?
That is an incredibly good idea. People would essentially have to buy the A separately from the electronics (or they could just buy the A if they wanted to) and then snap them together. Then I only have to license the A portion (I think). This would also allow me to license other university logos separately from the base electronics also!

You are a genius. :cheers:

My side projects:

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » October 28th, 2015, 12:52 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think you need any sort of UL certicate for a small, battery-powered device. I seem to recall needing that certification for products that require some sort of instrumentation panel with an AC power. You may want to check the specifications for requiring UL.

I work for a company that builds electronics and the only products we sell that are UL classified are full systems with AC source connections.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 28th, 2015, 1:51 pm

It is a CLC requirement, not a law or regulatory requirement. Even for plugin devices and liability insurance, as long as you are using a UL certified wall adapter then the *safety* law doesn't require it.

Edit: Added the word safety. The contract/licensing law would require me to get a license which in turn requires I get UL certified.

My side projects:

toroazzurro

Post by toroazzurro » March 29th, 2018, 2:17 pm

I'm back. I still want this. How do I do it? Haha.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 31st, 2018, 11:21 pm

OK. I am just about ready to go live with a Kickstarter. Here is the preview link
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... n=29802fd5

If any of you have feedback, let me know so I can make updates before I send it live.
Should I have different reward levels?
Does the $35 price seem reasonable?

Some of the cost is me getting a dual extruder 3D printer so that I can print the whole topper in a single print, rather than printing and/or painting and gluing. I have thought about adding one more reward level that was about $150 and is an 11in x 11in x 9.5in Aggie Block A. This wouldn't have the electronics, but would be quite a bit bigger than the 3in x 3in x 3in electronic version that I am proposing.

My side projects:

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 1st, 2018, 10:00 am

jpswensen wrote:OK. I am just about ready to go live with a Kickstarter. Here is the preview link

If any of you have feedback, let me know so I can make updates before I send it live.
Should I have different reward levels?
Does the $35 price seem reasonable?

Some of the cost is me getting a dual extruder 3D printer so that I can print the whole topper in a single print, rather than printing and/or painting and gluing. I have thought about adding one more reward level that was about $150 and is an 11in x 11in x 9.5in Aggie Block A. This wouldn't have the electronics, but would be quite a bit bigger than the 3in x 3in x 3in electronic version that I am proposing.
So $35 gets a light up block A once you reach your goal and begin production?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » April 1st, 2018, 10:17 am

Zaggie07 wrote:So $35 gets a light up block A once you reach your goal and begin production?

Yes. I think I need to edit the Kickstarter page to indicate the size of what I am proposing. It will be somewhere between 3in x 3in and 4in x 4in at the base.

My side projects:

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 1st, 2018, 10:25 am

jpswensen wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:So $35 gets a light up block A once you reach your goal and begin production?

Yes. I think I need to edit the Kickstarter page to indicate the size of what I am proposing. It will be somewhere between 3in x 3in and 4in x 4in at the base.

Considering the licensing and development going into this, that seems like a pretty good deal. It connects to wifi and automatically turns blue when the Aggies win? How is it powered?

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » April 1st, 2018, 10:35 am

Zaggie07 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:

Considering the licensing and development going into this, that seems like a pretty good deal. It connects to wifi and automatically turns blue when the Aggies win? How is it powered?

The licensing is actually a lot cheaper because I am an alumni. They have a “local” license option that is a lot less expensive than the general licensing options.

Yes, it connects over WiFi. When you first get the device, it will act like an access point. You will connect to it directly over WiFi and then tell it your router SSiD and password so that t can connect to your home/work WiFi. Then it will be watching ESPN for scores for the sports you mark in the web interface and turn blue when the Aggies win (will turn back to white 12 hours after the win). You can also pick other custom color schemes for holidays and such.

It is power by a wall plug. I had considered battery, but three AA would only last about 24-48 hours depending on brightness settings.

My side projects:

stu

Post by stu » April 1st, 2018, 9:54 pm

jpswensen wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:

The licensing is actually a lot cheaper because I am an alumni. They have a “local” license option that is a lot less expensive than the general licensing options.

Yes, it connects over WiFi. When you first get the device, it will act like an access point. You will connect to it directly over WiFi and then tell it your router SSiD and password so that t can connect to your home/work WiFi. Then it will be watching ESPN for scores for the sports you mark in the web interface and turn blue when the Aggies win (will turn back to white 12 hours after the win). You can also pick other custom color schemes for holidays and such.

It is power by a wall plug. I had considered battery, but three AA would only last about 24-48 hours depending on brightness settings.

Great gift for Aggies!

aggietime

Post by aggietime » April 2nd, 2018, 5:57 am

jpswensen wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:

Just read through the Kickstarter. I have no technical input, but would absolutely buy one of these if it goes into production.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » April 2nd, 2018, 12:12 pm

Anyone else unable to see his kickstarter link?

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:Anyone else unable to see his kickstarter link?
Worked for me.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » April 2nd, 2018, 12:28 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:
April 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:Anyone else unable to see his kickstarter link?
Worked for me.

Hmm... maybe it's blocked on my work network, or something.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 2nd, 2018, 12:36 pm

i don't see it either, using chrome.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » April 2nd, 2018, 12:56 pm

tipitup wrote:
April 2nd, 2018, 12:36 pm
i don't see it either, using chrome.
This should be a direct link, rather than the board formatting it as a KickStarter link (I think)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... n=29802fd5

My side projects:

tipitup

Post by tipitup » April 2nd, 2018, 1:08 pm

I see it. are you doing your pcb and going to get it from china, or where?

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » April 2nd, 2018, 1:21 pm

tipitup wrote:
April 2nd, 2018, 1:08 pm
I see it. are you doing your pcb and going to get it from china, or where?
Yes. The board in the KickStarter isn't the final one I am going to use. I ended up modifying the design to have a castellated internal edge so that I can solder the Wemos D1 mini (https://wiki.wemos.cc/products:d1:d1_mini) directly to the board that houses the LEDs and thus reduce the height of the electronics (this makes the base thinner and cheaper). I have a small 3D printed fixture with pegs that I can put the PCB on and the Wemos on to constrain them and then do the solder very quickly with them held aligned.

The current plan is to use PCBWay (from China). I know several people who have used them and their work is good. I would use a US company, but the cheapest I have seen is about $4 a board, whereas PCBway comes in at around $1.86 shipped. I used PCBshopper (https://pcbshopper.com/) to get ballparks for various companies before getting detailed quotes.

The parts list for this is pretty simple because I am already using the Wemos D1 mini. They are:
5 x WS2812B multicolor programmable LEDs
1 x barrel jack connector (through hole) for DC power supply
1 x 5V DC power supply

If I can get the parts prices low enough (enough people buy through the Kickstarter) I plan on throwing a little piezo speaker on there so that it can play the fight song and The Scotsman also.

My side projects:

tipitup

Post by tipitup » April 2nd, 2018, 3:11 pm

sounds like you got it under control. nice job

Locked Previous topicNext topic