Utah Legislature orders an audit Utah Ute Athletics

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Tetonkatest

Utah Legislature orders an audit Utah Ute Athletics

Post by Tetonkatest » February 21st, 2016, 12:27 am

Looks like the BYU and USU legislators are retaliating against Utah canceling games and ordering an audit of Utah Athletics. There is talk that the Pac12 money could be shared with other State schools or that Utah will lose State funding.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3557683-155/ ... ty-of-utah

Also, I'm not sure who this USU alum legislator is or why he's involved, but the Ute fans are furious at him and calling on him to also Audit USU Athletics.

https://mobile.twitter.com/danmccay?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

dyedblue

Re: Utah Legislature orders an audit Utah Ute Athletics

Post by dyedblue » February 21st, 2016, 1:46 am

These guys are stupid. Utah dropped USU and a Weber State - both STATE institutions - and it takes dropping a private, religious institution for them to take notice. I don't get it, why audit now?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » February 21st, 2016, 10:35 am

Frankly, the state should be auditing fairly regularly, regardless. If they're receiving state funds (which they are), the state should be making sure that money is being used wisely.

Incredibly stupid that it took them dropping a private school (that's more important to the legislature than any state school other than the U) to get them worked up enough to do it.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

LKGates

Post by LKGates » February 21st, 2016, 11:07 am

In 1960, when the University of Utah blew up the Skyline Conference, they took BYU along for the ride. They needed a travel partner to substitute for USU, and at the time, BYU athletics was a joke. The U could play the abusive boyfriend, and the Y would put on their dark glasses to hide the black eye, and follow meekly along.

I am delighted that I have lived long enough to see that choice come back to bite both of them on the butt.

Yes, it is infuriating that the legislature cares more about a private university than they do about the land grant university, but at this point, I'm just happy to be on the sidelines passing out torches and gasoline to both sides.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

UtesAggs>BYU
Has thanked: 0

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » February 21st, 2016, 12:12 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:Frankly, the state should be auditing fairly regularly, regardless. If they're receiving state funds (which they are), the state should be making sure that money is being used wisely.

Incredibly stupid that it took them dropping a private school (that's more important to the legislature than any state school other than the U) to get them worked up enough to do it.
Please show me in this audit report where the athletic department received state funds?

http://financialreports.utah.gov/saorep ... ofUtah.pdf

This is a direct result of butthurt Utah legislatures that happen to also be BYU fans. I'm never opposed to an audit from an independent source, but the reasoning behind the audit is a joke.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » February 21st, 2016, 2:52 pm

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:Frankly, the state should be auditing fairly regularly, regardless. If they're receiving state funds (which they are), the state should be making sure that money is being used wisely.

Please show me in this audit report where the athletic department received state funds?

This is a direct result of butthurt Utah legislatures that happen to also be BYU fans. I'm never opposed to an audit from an independent source, but the reasoning behind the audit is a joke.
Line 7, Direct Institutional Support.

Also, regardless of funding source (since you claim state funds are not used), all athletic department employees and coaches are considered state employees, so the state has an interest.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » February 21st, 2016, 6:53 pm

The university receives regular audits of all departments. Including the AD. This is all petty payback.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » February 21st, 2016, 7:18 pm

I agree with LK Gates........Really it is too bad that in 1962 when the WAC was formed and left USU out, that the legislature didn't do something about making sure USU was included with being in the same Athletic conference with UTAH. After all the Utah State Constitution demands Utah and Utah State be in the same Athletic field of competition. However, because we were good in Football Merlin Olsen and the boys, and good in Basketball, Cornell Green and the boys, our President did not want to make waves back then. We were winning and therefore being Indy didn't matter. Well, it didn't matter for about 10 years, but then it started being a problem. Can you imagine had USU Prez gone along with some legislatures thought of making Utah and USU in the same field of play? There would not be Big Brother, little brother talk, that's for sure! I remember my Pop being so upset at Utah for helping form the WAC. However, New Mexico and the Arizona Schools at the time was making sure that any future expansion involving USU would not take place, as they voted USU out several times while Ladell was coaching and then being AD!

Really folks, Aggies, we should dislike Utah more than some on this board does! It is Utah that has screwed Utah State more over the years than any other school! Utah has been the beneficiary of Utah tax payer money for years and years. It is only fair that Lyle Hillyard helped to pass last year a bill that would give USU, and in the future Weber, and SUU, and UVU, a penny or two! Really 1.5 million is not very much these days! In reality looking at things realistically, this State has too damn many University Status schools, for the population! Its a wonder we have any bread crumbs at all! Washington State could handle this many Universities, because they have about 10 million people now. what does Utah have about 3 million?

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » February 21st, 2016, 7:50 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:
UtesAggs>BYU wrote:

Line 7, Direct Institutional Support.

Also, regardless of funding source (since you claim state funds are not used), all athletic department employees and coaches are considered state employees, so the state has an interest.
They also get 2 million a year to maintain their indoor facility, which only cost 6 million went built. Won't show as direct funding for athletics because it is earmarked out if general staye monies to maintain campus buildings.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 21st, 2016, 9:22 pm

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:

How many legislatures do we have in this state, anyway? I figured we just had the one....

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 21st, 2016, 9:49 pm

75 reps and 29 senators. There are a lot of Aggies and a ton of Zoobs in the legislature.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

jrj84105
Been thanked: 0

Post by jrj84105 » February 22nd, 2016, 6:52 am

USU and Boise should be on alert after this stunt. What happens when BYU gets hard up to schedule a game or needs to come back to the MWC? Are BSU and USU fanbases ready for some legislative strong-arming should the interests of BYU oppose their own?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 22nd, 2016, 9:09 am

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:the reasoning behind the audit is a joke.
If there's not a regular auditing schedule already in place - then that's the joke. How is it reasonable to NOT audit?

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » February 22nd, 2016, 9:14 am

brownjeans wrote:
I think the joke is that there isn't a regular auditing schedule already in place.
I agree with this. We should expect to see this happen on a regular basis. I welcome it for USU as well. If there are issues uncovered, regardless of at what school, I want them discovered and dealt with.

The problem I have (as well as many others) is that why does it take a dust-up with the one true team to make this an issue. utah has dumped USU and Weber already in basketball, which has a much greater effect on state budgets than anything some private school does.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » February 22nd, 2016, 9:46 am

GeoAg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
I think the joke is that there isn't a regular auditing schedule already in place.
I agree with this. We should expect to see this happen on a regular basis. I welcome it for USU as well. If there are issues uncovered, regardless of at what school, I want them discovered and dealt with.

The problem I have (as well as many others) is that why does it take a dust-up with the one true team to make this an issue. utah has dumped USU and Weber already in basketball, which has a much greater effect on state budgets than anything some private school does.
Well, what the legislators who are pushing this are saying is that Utah's refusal to schedule USU, Weber State....and private BYU, is hurting intrastate commerce (meaning that businesses, restaurants, hotels, in Logan, Ogden, and Provo are being hurt). Now that is probably an exaggeration and an excuse (we know it is really because they are mad that they stopped scheduling BYU), but at the same time, why is Utah paying schools like IPFW, Idaho State, Savannah State, Delaware State, College of Idaho for 1-and-done games, when it benefits the State more to schedule a school like USU? A Saturday Utah vs USU basketball in Logan is a sellout, and probably brings some spending to town (restaurants, etc). Better than a Saturday USU vs po dunk tech state game.

Their schedule is better this year, but look at last year's schedule? Can they really say that they can't fit USU in their schedule over some of these terrible teams?
http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl ... sched.html

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » February 22nd, 2016, 11:02 am

I've thought about this more, and think it's kinda funny to see how worked up the U is now that they are getting strong-armed by somebody more "important and powerful" than they are. Everything eventually comes full circle, doesn't it? This is just additional proof the U is getting too big for its britches.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 22nd, 2016, 11:47 am

troutputz wrote:I agree with LK Gates........Really it is too bad that in 1962 when the WAC was formed and left USU out, that the legislature didn't do something about making sure USU was included with being in the same Athletic conference with UTAH. After all the Utah State Constitution demands Utah and Utah State be in the same Athletic field of competition. However, because we were good in Football Merlin Olsen and the boys, and good in Basketball, Cornell Green and the boys, our President did not want to make waves back then. We were winning and therefore being Indy didn't matter. Well, it didn't matter for about 10 years, but then it started being a problem. Can you imagine had USU Prez gone along with some legislatures thought of making Utah and USU in the same field of play? There would not be Big Brother, little brother talk, that's for sure! I remember my Pop being so upset at Utah for helping form the WAC. However, New Mexico and the Arizona Schools at the time was making sure that any future expansion involving USU would not take place, as they voted USU out several times while Ladell was coaching and then being AD!

Really folks, Aggies, we should dislike Utah more than some on this board does! It is Utah that has screwed Utah State more over the years than any other school! Utah has been the beneficiary of Utah tax payer money for years and years. It is only fair that Lyle Hillyard helped to pass last year a bill that would give USU, and in the future Weber, and SUU, and UVU, a penny or two! Really 1.5 million is not very much these days! In reality looking at things realistically, this State has too damn many University Status schools, for the population! Its a wonder we have any bread crumbs at all! Washington State could handle this many
Universities, because they have about 10 million people now. what does Utah have about 3 million?
Amen. I have been preaching dislike for Utah for many years on this board. They have hurt us through the years more than the Y. Wait, did I say that? The Y and the U are to be equally disliked.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 22nd, 2016, 11:47 am

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:

Kind of like how the reasoning behind not playing USU, Weber, or BYU is a joke.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 22nd, 2016, 11:51 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:I've thought about this more, and think it's kinda funny to see how worked up the U is now that they are getting strong-armed by somebody more "important and powerful" than they are. Everything eventually comes full circle, doesn't it? This is just additional proof the U is getting too big for its britches.
The ewe has ALWAYS thought that.

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » February 22nd, 2016, 2:25 pm

GeoAg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Yep, this is the reason for it. They aren't even hiding it, citing the "antics" of Chris Hill and Larry K as factors in the audit. I could care less if they want to audit, in fact they should audit. But this is the FIRST of its kind in the state and comes on the heels of opting out of a basketball game with a private institution. Why not the outrage when Utah stopped playing USU and Weber?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 22nd, 2016, 5:17 pm

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:Yep, this is the reason for it. They aren't even hiding it, citing the "antics" of Chris Hill and Larry K as factors in the audit. I could care less if they want to audit, in fact they should audit. But this is the FIRST of its kind in the state and comes on the heels of opting out of a basketball game with a private institution. Why not the outrage when Utah stopped playing USU and Weber?
Couldn't care less the reason why, as a taxpayer I want government to have some kind of audit every year. This includes all state-run schools and all their departments. And do a deep audit every five years or so.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » February 22nd, 2016, 9:08 pm

Just an aside here, Utah was also the school who led the fight for keeping Boise out of the MWC a few years back. They are certainly dirtier than BYU on the admin front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » February 22nd, 2016, 10:35 pm

troutputz wrote:I agree with LK Gates........Really it is too bad that in 1962 when the WAC was formed and left USU out, that the legislature didn't do something about making sure USU was included with being in the same Athletic conference with UTAH. After all the Utah State Constitution demands Utah and Utah State be in the same Athletic field of competition. However, because we were good in Football Merlin Olsen and the boys, and good in Basketball, Cornell Green and the boys, our President did not want to make waves back then. We were winning and therefore being Indy didn't matter. Well, it didn't matter for about 10 years, but then it started being a problem. Can you imagine had USU Prez gone along with some legislatures thought of making Utah and USU in the same field of play? There would not be Big Brother, little brother talk, that's for sure! I remember my Pop being so upset at Utah for helping form the WAC. However, New Mexico and the Arizona Schools at the time was making sure that any future expansion involving USU would not take place, as they voted USU out several times while Ladell was coaching and then being AD!

Really folks, Aggies, we should dislike Utah more than some on this board does! It is Utah that has screwed Utah State more over the years than any other school! Utah has been the beneficiary of Utah tax payer money for years and years. It is only fair that Lyle Hillyard helped to pass last year a bill that would give USU, and in the future Weber, and SUU, and UVU, a penny or two! Really 1.5 million is not very much these days! In reality looking at things realistically, this State has too damn many University Status schools, for the population! Its a wonder we have any bread crumbs at all! Washington State could handle this many Universities, because they have about 10 million people now. what does Utah have about 3 million?

Just curious but do you have a link or any article supporting that history?

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » February 23rd, 2016, 9:44 am

I'm all for the audit, but please please please while they are in there and have access to all the records and files please find the evidence of tampering with DC and bring it to the light, not only to the Utah Legislature but also the NCAA.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 24th, 2016, 11:15 pm

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:

Let's not call things that aren't audits, audits.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 25th, 2016, 12:15 am

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:

Read Note 4 about Direct Institutional Support, ya dumdum.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

KissMyAg
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » February 28th, 2016, 1:15 pm

I think there is something going on with Dr Hill - pissing too many people in Utah off... I wouldn't be surprised if he is no longer with Utah after this audit.

Locked Previous topicNext topic