NBA Free Agency and the GS Warriors

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » July 5th, 2016, 3:12 pm

Starting Line up for the Warriors next season:
PG- Steph Curry
SG- Klay Thompson
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Draymond Green
Starting 4, enables the offense to spread the court to get effective shots. Will this year be the first that the 6th man award is actually won by the 5th man?

aceofspadeskb

Re: NBA Free Agency and the GS Warriors

Post by aceofspadeskb » July 5th, 2016, 3:22 pm

This move is the epitomy of why I don't care about the NBA until the finals. Last year there were only 4 true contenders: Warriors, Spurs, Thunder, Cavs. Now there are only 3. The level of parity in the NBA is near non-existent.

That said, it's hard to fault the NBA. It's a problem that can't really be solved. Even a hard cap wouldn't begin to fix this. The top players get the lion's share of their money from endorsements, not an NBA contract.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 5th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Do they just play small ball from the start of games? Who's gonna play center? West?

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » July 5th, 2016, 8:52 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:This move is the epitomy of why I don't care about the NBA until the finals. Last year there were only 4 true contenders: Warriors, Spurs, Thunder, Cavs. Now there are only 3. The level of parity in the NBA is near non-existent.

That said, it's hard to fault the NBA. It's a problem that can't really be solved. Even a hard cap wouldn't begin to fix this. The top players get the lion's share of their money from endorsements, not an NBA contract.
There is only one contender right now -- GSW.

Looks like Pachulia will be the 5. He's very solid. Barring injury, it's already over.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 5th, 2016, 8:55 pm

This just turns my stomach. Sports are entertaining for me because of the competition. This newish fad of creating super teams just doesn't cut it for me. There is no easy fix but it can't be good for the health of the game.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

cval

Post by cval » July 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm

I find myself less interested every year. This year I only watched a handful of games, and only one playoff game.

They have ruined it for all but the most privileged.

Full

Post by Full » July 6th, 2016, 9:15 am

dyedblue wrote:This just turns my stomach. Sports are entertaining for me because of the competition. This newish fad of creating super teams just doesn't cut it for me. There is no easy fix but it can't be good for the health of the game.
Wow! #RiggedSystem :lol: :joking:

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » July 6th, 2016, 11:34 am

dyedblue wrote:This just turns my stomach. Sports are entertaining for me because of the competition. This newish fad of creating super teams just doesn't cut it for me. There is no easy fix but it can't be good for the health of the game.
How is this any different from the Chicago Bulls of the late 90's? The Jazz would have possibly been a dynasty in any other era!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 6th, 2016, 11:39 am

Did Karl and John leave utah when they lost to Bulls.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 6th, 2016, 1:54 pm

I'm interested to see what happens next summer. I had read that the player's union and the owners weren't that far apart and there may not be a lockout. Because of this, I really won't be surprised if the small market teams all just band together and force a real lockout. If parity is a desirable trait, then a hard cap is needed. If it's not, then lets just pull all caps and go the Euro soccer route.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

azaggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by azaggie » July 6th, 2016, 2:27 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
How is this any different from the Chicago Bulls of the late 90's? The Jazz would have possibly been a dynasty in any other era!

Huge difference. It's the equivalent of Barkley signing with the Bulls back in the day. The Bulls of the 90s built their team through the draft and trades.

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » July 6th, 2016, 4:50 pm

dyedblue wrote:Did Karl and John leave utah when they lost to Bulls.

;)

Twitter: @AaronPeck

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 6th, 2016, 5:04 pm

At the end of his career when he was no longer wanted in Utah. Huge difference between 19 year vet Malone going to LA and a prime Durant joining the Warriors.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 7th, 2016, 9:38 am

Break up the Yankees!
10 July 1927, Chicago Daily Tribune, pg. A4: The well wishers would have the league break up the Yankee combination and distribute the strength among the weak clubs.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » July 9th, 2016, 7:21 pm

NBA gets worse each year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 9th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Bird just said he could not imagine ever joining Magic.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » July 10th, 2016, 8:40 am

dyedblue wrote:Bird just said he could not imagine ever joining Magic.
Of course not, the Magic were merely an expansion team in Bird's final years. It would be a major risk to be the face of an expansion team, especially when his physical health was in decline.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » July 10th, 2016, 12:51 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
Of course not, the Magic were merely an expansion team in Bird's final years. It would be a major risk to be the face of an expansion team, especially when his physical health was in decline.
I think he meant Magic Johnson

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » July 10th, 2016, 8:21 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
I think he meant Magic Johnson

Are you sure about that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 10th, 2016, 8:25 pm

Of course he meant Magic Johnson. It would have been fun to see him play with Shaq, Penny, and Anderson. He would rather beat people than pay with them. KD lost my respect. He had a good team and if he was all that he would have worked his butt off this summer to push his team post the Warriors. Instead he took the easy way out and went to the best team in the NBA.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » July 11th, 2016, 7:34 am

dyedblue wrote:Of course he meant Magic Johnson. It would have been fun to see him play with Shaq, Penny, and Anderson. He would rather beat people than pay with them. KD lost my respect. He had a good team and if he was all that he would have worked his butt off this summer to push his team post the Warriors. Instead he took the easy way out and went to the best team in the NBA.

I think he meant Orlando Magic. No way he joins the Lakers, they already had a H.O.F. forward in James Worthy. After the Thunder traded Ibaka to break up the Western Conference finalists...the direction of the franchise changed for KD. And the Warriors needed a shooting forward with the departure of Harrison Barnes.

azaggie

Post by azaggie » July 11th, 2016, 9:04 am

I'm sure he meant Magic Johnson.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 11th, 2016, 9:58 am

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » July 13th, 2016, 2:38 pm

dyedblue wrote:Of course he meant Magic Johnson. It would have been fun to see him play with Shaq, Penny, and Anderson. He would rather beat people than pay with them. KD lost my respect. He had a good team and if he was all that he would have worked his butt off this summer to push his team post the Warriors. Instead he took the easy way out and went to the best team in the NBA.

I know he meant Magic Johnson, as did the poster who sarcastically suggested he might mean the expansion team. Sorry for the sarcasm confusion.

For the record, I'm excited to watch this new Warriors team play. If the Celtics, Lakers and Heat can build super teams with disliked superstars with super egos why shouldn't the Warriors, or any other team for that matter, do the same with likable superstars willing to play as a team? If they continue the unselfish team style of play, they could end up the best team to ever play in the NBA. I'd like that title to go to a group of stars that play as a team as opposed to a group of stars who have to meet their shot quota every game. Isolation offense sucks. Some of the best players in the league deciding to play together to compete against the one-on-one offense put out by LBJ, KI and KL... awesome.

Locked Previous topicNext topic