A Proposal

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
SectionBAggie

A Proposal

Post by SectionBAggie » September 22nd, 2016, 6:45 pm

I have the guilty pleasure of visiting cougarboard when it is meltdown. It's been a good couple of weeks.

Someone over there has started a practice of referring to USU as being in Ogden. And it had them in stitches. Now, truth be told, I really don't care, but I've always wondered what would happen of the phrase Ricks-Provo got some legs.

My proposal is that no longer do we use the old 3-letter designation, but make all references to that school as Ricks-Provo.

Empire of Dirt

Re: A Proposal

Post by Empire of Dirt » September 22nd, 2016, 7:08 pm

I don't see why saying USU is in Ogden is funny.

I really don't get it, can someone explain?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » September 22nd, 2016, 7:13 pm

I have never understood the humor from this. Boneyfuller popularized it and it makes no sense. I mean, I get that they are trying to demean us by pretending they don't know where USU is, but isn't it really making them seem unintelligent. Also how is co fusing Logan with Ogden a joke? Ogden metro ha a higher population than Provo metro and is only 30 min from Logan. Oh no, you pretended to be geographically challenged and confused Logan with a much larger city a few miles away. I feel so bad to be a fan of my alma mater

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

JonnyCienPesos
Has thanked: 0

Post by JonnyCienPesos » September 22nd, 2016, 7:13 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:I don't see why saying USU is in Ogden is funny.

I really don't get it, can someone explain?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I think it's their attempt at saying we are so insignificant that they don't even know what city we are in. There is a lot irony there. Especially given the fact that they go out of their way to talk about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » September 22nd, 2016, 11:42 pm

Forced jokes usually come off as just that- forced. I say let them have their dumb joke. it just makes look pathetic. Really? That's all they could come up with? Looks like that BYU education doesn't help with practical skills like knowing where things are.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » September 23rd, 2016, 8:02 am

SectionBAggie wrote:I have the guilty pleasure of visiting cougarboard when it is meltdown. It's been a good couple of weeks.

Someone over there has started a practice of referring to USU as being in Ogden. And it had them in stitches. Now, truth be told, I really don't care, but I've always wondered what would happen of the phrase Ricks-Provo got some legs.

My proposal is that no longer do we use the old 3-letter designation, but make all references to that school as Ricks-Provo.
What's wrong with TDS? :noidea:

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 23rd, 2016, 8:03 am

That is a stupid joke. About as stupid as half the BYU jokes people insist on using here.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 23rd, 2016, 8:10 am

BYU fans are obsessed with this joke. Boney Fuller made it, but then the rest are so eager to chime in "ogden!" anything usu related and then they are snicker about it.

Ever since they had their dream season going until usu came in to provo and walked away with an easy win where they were 4-0, ranked in the top 25, a dominating win over texas and a soon-to-be heisman champ Taysom Hill, they've been pretty eager to make a concerted effort to knock usu any way they can. Which I think is great. Before they all kind of just felt bad for usu, now they consistently make an effort against usu, almost as if usu is a rival or something.

It's good stuff. Get ready for an onslaught of "ogden" and boney fuller ripping usu this November and just make sure to respond accordingly and not give them what they're looking for.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 23rd, 2016, 8:34 am

I suggest we use "bednar" as a verb wrt ybu

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » September 23rd, 2016, 8:50 am

Ok, who the hell is Boney Fuller??? Is this something that you would have to spend time on cougarboard to understand???

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 23rd, 2016, 9:25 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:Ok, who the hell is Boney Fuller??? Is this something that you would have to spend time on cougarboard to understand???

It's mostly twitter and social media. Boney Fuller is some fake name of a guy who played football at byu about 80 years ago or whatever. They just come up with a bunch of jokes and make fun every school they are playing that week. www.twitter.com/boneyfuller He'll periodically make fun of usu too. Here's where the whole USU-ogden joke originated.

Here's a recent video he just made making fun of west virginia.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 23rd, 2016, 9:34 am

Like swish said, he pretends that he's some old BYU football player but he actually ripped the name off from J.F.C. Fuller who was a British Army officer. I have never quite grasped why BYU fans think he is so funny. I imagine him as some middle aged guy that got shown by his teenage children how to use Twitter and thought that taking on this persona could help him live out the glory of his Junior High days again.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff, '16 Bowl, '19 WTHCG

Post by bigblue » September 23rd, 2016, 12:58 pm

Too corny for me to even think about how dumb it is. As for the proposal, I will call them what ever sounds good in the sentence. I keep it cleaning on here than what I say on person.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » September 23rd, 2016, 2:49 pm

Same folks that think Studio C is funny. I just back away slowly whenever someone starts to talk about it or explains one of their sketches to me.

Back away, not today, disco lady...

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 23rd, 2016, 3:31 pm

TDS?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » September 23rd, 2016, 4:28 pm

TDS does get them ticked. Urban Meyer rubbed it in them.

corio

Post by corio » September 23rd, 2016, 6:20 pm

All this reminds me of was the last time we played BYU in Salt Lake. There was a pretty even spread of regular fans, but our student section was full and theirs was tickling 2/3rds full. Towards the end of the game both student sections started chanting at each other starting with BYU's "Little Brother", followed by USU's "Come to Logan". Then BYU started chanting "Where is Logan?" which confused me more then it actually felt like a good comeback. But then the HURD made it all better by chanting back "Where's your students?". The basketball team lost but the students should have left with a moral victory on that one. We're just better at being clever.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 23rd, 2016, 7:37 pm

They get a kick out of it because they're looking to get under our skin. I don't really care if they pretend we're in Ogden. I say we keep up the charade- in fact let's tell them there is no Logan, that there is nothing past Brigham City and to drive right past exit 362... if they don't believe that tell them Logan sucks anyway. Because maybe then BYU fans will never come into Logan which is ok with me.

"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 23rd, 2016, 9:46 pm

Jokes on them. Ogden is way better than Provo/Orem. Their truth is way worse than the fiction.

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » September 24th, 2016, 1:13 am

Just commenting to say I think Ricks-Provo is hilarious and IM A DAIRY YEWT AND PROUD.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 24th, 2016, 4:48 am

I'm down with Ricks Provo.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 24th, 2016, 1:17 pm

I often refer to BYU as BYU-Provo or BYU-P when I meet Cougars down here in Texas. They seem to hate it. I would encourage you all to try it the next time you talk with a Coug. The trick is that you have to use it two or three times with very obvious intent so that they know you are familiar with BYU, but prefer to call it BYU-P.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » September 25th, 2016, 8:20 am

ViAggie wrote:TDS?
Team Down South.

I'm guessing Urban got that from his early days as an assistant at TOSU, as Buckeyes refer to *ichigan as That Team Up North.

"Try not to suck" - Joe Maddon

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » September 25th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Isn't byu in orem ?

Is byu the 2nd or 3rd biggest college in orem. UVU, beauty school, Byu? ?

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » September 30th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Aglicious wrote:Like swish said, he pretends that he's some old BYU football player but he actually ripped the name off from J.F.C. Fuller who was a British Army officer. I have never quite grasped why BYU fans think he is so funny. I imagine him as some middle aged guy that got shown by his teenage children how to use Twitter and thought that taking on this persona could help him live out the glory of his Junior High days again.

Like that friggin Tennessee fan.. Whatever his name is. That dude is a douche.

Locked Previous topicNext topic