Clemson let the nation down

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
User avatar
RockyMountainHigh
Posts: 426
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Clemson let the nation down

Post by RockyMountainHigh » January 2nd, 2018, 6:49 am

Now the talking heads have their dream scenario, an all-sec natty game.

We looked horrible on offense. I hope the #1 player in the country gets a shot at QB vs Kelly Bryant though for 2018. I believe he will be the next Deshaun Watson.

Thank you all for the numerous times y'all have pulled for my Tigers! Let's hope 2018 is a much better year for Aggies and Tigers!!



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 1735
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by sam tingey » January 2nd, 2018, 7:03 am

Sorry for your loss! Take care of yourself like always. Here's to a wonderful 2018. Go get em Tigers. At least you have some optimism for next season. It seems that the Aggies will be floating along in a similar situation next year.



User avatar
dhilk3785
Posts: 1089
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 5:14 pm
Location: That City Down South, UT
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by dhilk3785 » January 2nd, 2018, 5:03 pm

Image


"Try not to suck" - Joe Maddon

User avatar
Servo
Posts: 1178
Joined: November 7th, 2010, 11:01 am
Location: Satellite of Love
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by Servo » January 2nd, 2018, 5:24 pm

Can we get rid of the polls already? Is there any other athletics system out there where best teams are decided by such subjective measures? With only four spots in the playoff, there is ZERO reason any team that wasn't a conference champion should be allowed a shot at the national championship. A four-team playoff was an improvement over the BCS but a six or eight team bracket would be even better still.


I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

User avatar
RockyMountainHigh
Posts: 426
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by RockyMountainHigh » January 2nd, 2018, 5:46 pm

"You should have to win your conference to win the national championship"

- Nick Saban.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2286
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 2nd, 2018, 11:10 pm

RockyMountainHigh wrote:
January 2nd, 2018, 5:46 pm
"You should have to win your conference to win the national championship"

- Nick Saban.
Did he really say that? Saban has benefitted twice by the opposite. 2011 also comes to mind.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2286
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 2nd, 2018, 11:11 pm

sam tingey wrote:
January 2nd, 2018, 7:03 am
Sorry for your loss! Take care of yourself like always. Here's to a wonderful 2018. Go get em Tigers. At least you have some optimism for next season. It seems that the Aggies will be floating along in a similar situation next year.
The expectation for the Aggies will be higher next year and they are trending upward.



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 1735
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by sam tingey » January 3rd, 2018, 6:08 am

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
January 2nd, 2018, 11:11 pm
sam tingey wrote:
January 2nd, 2018, 7:03 am
Sorry for your loss! Take care of yourself like always. Here's to a wonderful 2018. Go get em Tigers. At least you have some optimism for next season. It seems that the Aggies will be floating along in a similar situation next year.
The expectation for the Aggies will be higher next year and they are trending upward.
Maybe for you and for the general storyline, but I am convinced that the last three years are what we are going to see next year. 6-7 is my guess for final record next year with yet another bowl loss to a MAC team.



User avatar
RockyMountainHigh
Posts: 426
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by RockyMountainHigh » January 3rd, 2018, 7:16 am

Yup. He did say that.



USUMAE
Posts: 219
Joined: September 3rd, 2015, 2:41 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by USUMAE » January 3rd, 2018, 10:12 am

Honestly how hard would it be to just have the conference champions play for it? Sure there are teams that are better than the worst of the conference champs, but so what? That happens all the time in sports.
The conferences in the NFL and NBA aren't exactly balanced.
Even in the NCAA there some paths to qualification are easier for others. That's how it is in XC. The Mountain Region had 5 teams ahead of the top team from the South Region. (Admittedly, XC can have many teams competing at once and so the MR did get a lot more at-large bids than the SR)

It would only take a total of four rounds and 9 games. I think there would be a lot less controversy. Didn't win your conference? Tough luck. Better luck next year.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 7124
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1153 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by USU78 » January 3rd, 2018, 10:41 am

Clemson let nobody down but Clemson, and probably not even that. It comes down to matchups in games like this. The matchups favored the elephants. It's no more complicated than that.

I'm proud of the Clemson boys accomplishing what they did this season.


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

swordsman1989
Posts: 1051
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by swordsman1989 » January 3rd, 2018, 11:39 am

I am beginning to hate college football. The almighty SEC will finish the post-season with a losing record of 5-6. Alabama could not even win its own division and yet was awarded one of the four spots in the playoffs. Meanwhile the Big Ten went 7-1 in the postseason and was left out of the playoffs. If two teams from one conference deserved a shot, it should have been Ohio State and Wisconsin.

If FCS can support 24 teams in its playoffs, FBS should be able to support 16. Give a spot to ALL ten conference champions, and then have 6 at-large spots. If the NCAA cannot move towards that soon, then this fan is gone. In any case belief that the SEC is head and shoulders above everyone else needs to die. When the SEC plays other P5 conference schools on a neutral field, they are overwhelmingly mediocre.



User avatar
RockyMountainHigh
Posts: 426
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by RockyMountainHigh » January 5th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Alabama:
Conference winner? No
Division winner? No
State winner? No

National winner? Possibly.



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 1735
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 347 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by sam tingey » January 5th, 2018, 2:11 pm

RockyMountainHigh wrote:
January 5th, 2018, 12:38 pm
Alabama:
Conference winner? No
Division winner? No
State winner? No

National winner? Possibly.
I think the same thing too overall, but I can be convinced that they are one of the best teams out there. All those no answers come from just one close loss to a rival. it isn't like they lost multiple games. Then sadly, Bama went out and worked over Clemson, which is an exceptionally good team. Alas, it will ever be that Alabama ad Ohio State will get preferential treatment.



AggieDude
Posts: 5464
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 5:10 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by AggieDude » January 10th, 2018, 4:36 pm

I think Ohio State probably was the best team left out of the playoff, but they lost head to head against Oklahoma and didn't show up against Iowa (Iowa St?). Clemson probably wishes Ohio State would've made it in over Alabama, but it's hard to argue that Alabama isn't the best team in the country after their showing in the playoff. Ultimately, it comes down to recruiting. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are almost always pulling in top 5 recruiting classes and Georgia is starting to as well. Coaching makes a difference but with the time constraints coaches are subject to there is only so much ground that can be made up for weaker recruiting. If you're developing 4 and 5 star athletes at a high level, you're going to be more successful against a team developing 2 and 3 star athletes. The programs that are always at the top have three common factors: elite coaches, unlimited resources (virtually), and they recruit well. Some folks out here in SEC country think Alabama is starting to fade. I don't see it. Until their recruiting drops off (they've had the #1 class like 7 years in a row), they'll continue to be at or near the top every year.



User avatar
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG
Posts: 6174
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 10th, 2018, 5:15 pm

AggieDude wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 4:36 pm
I think Ohio State probably was the best team left out of the playoff, but they lost head to head against Oklahoma and didn't show up against Iowa (Iowa St?). Clemson probably wishes Ohio State would've made it in over Alabama, but it's hard to argue that Alabama isn't the best team in the country after their showing in the playoff. Ultimately, it comes down to recruiting. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are almost always pulling in top 5 recruiting classes and Georgia is starting to as well. Coaching makes a difference but with the time constraints coaches are subject to there is only so much ground that can be made up for weaker recruiting. If you're developing 4 and 5 star athletes at a high level, you're going to be more successful against a team developing 2 and 3 star athletes. The programs that are always at the top have three common factors: elite coaches, unlimited resources (virtually), and they recruit well. Some folks out here in SEC country think Alabama is starting to fade. I don't see it. Until their recruiting drops off (they've had the #1 class like 7 years in a row), they'll continue to be at or near the top every year.
Ohio St lost at Iowa, Oklahoma lost at home to Iowa State


Enter your Picks on GOOGLE DOCS
BOWLS Entry Sheet

WEEK 15 Entry with results

WEEKLY & WTHCG Standings Congrats to winners - Aggies22 Weekly, bigblue WTHCG

KICKOFF Standings & Summary Congrats to winner - NHAGGIE!

AggieDude
Posts: 5464
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 5:10 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by AggieDude » January 12th, 2018, 3:00 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 5:15 pm
AggieDude wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 4:36 pm
I think Ohio State probably was the best team left out of the playoff, but they lost head to head against Oklahoma and didn't show up against Iowa (Iowa St?). Clemson probably wishes Ohio State would've made it in over Alabama, but it's hard to argue that Alabama isn't the best team in the country after their showing in the playoff. Ultimately, it comes down to recruiting. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are almost always pulling in top 5 recruiting classes and Georgia is starting to as well. Coaching makes a difference but with the time constraints coaches are subject to there is only so much ground that can be made up for weaker recruiting. If you're developing 4 and 5 star athletes at a high level, you're going to be more successful against a team developing 2 and 3 star athletes. The programs that are always at the top have three common factors: elite coaches, unlimited resources (virtually), and they recruit well. Some folks out here in SEC country think Alabama is starting to fade. I don't see it. Until their recruiting drops off (they've had the #1 class like 7 years in a row), they'll continue to be at or near the top every year.
Ohio St lost at Iowa, Oklahoma lost at home to Iowa State
Thanks! I knew both had big wins but I've been getting it backwards all season.



User avatar
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG
Posts: 6174
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Clemson let the nation down

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 12th, 2018, 10:07 pm

AggieDude wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 3:00 pm
AGinNEIowa wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 5:15 pm
AggieDude wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 4:36 pm
I think Ohio State probably was the best team left out of the playoff, but they lost head to head against Oklahoma and didn't show up against Iowa (Iowa St?). Clemson probably wishes Ohio State would've made it in over Alabama, but it's hard to argue that Alabama isn't the best team in the country after their showing in the playoff. Ultimately, it comes down to recruiting. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are almost always pulling in top 5 recruiting classes and Georgia is starting to as well. Coaching makes a difference but with the time constraints coaches are subject to there is only so much ground that can be made up for weaker recruiting. If you're developing 4 and 5 star athletes at a high level, you're going to be more successful against a team developing 2 and 3 star athletes. The programs that are always at the top have three common factors: elite coaches, unlimited resources (virtually), and they recruit well. Some folks out here in SEC country think Alabama is starting to fade. I don't see it. Until their recruiting drops off (they've had the #1 class like 7 years in a row), they'll continue to be at or near the top every year.
Ohio St lost at Iowa, Oklahoma lost at home to Iowa State
Thanks! I knew both had big wins but I've been getting it backwards all season.
No problem! I get it given to me backwards quite often out here - "Oh, I saw your school on TV last night (utah vs USC)". I always say "That's like saying you're a fan of the Hawkeyes - I'd never do it to you, don't do it again to me"


Enter your Picks on GOOGLE DOCS
BOWLS Entry Sheet

WEEK 15 Entry with results

WEEKLY & WTHCG Standings Congrats to winners - Aggies22 Weekly, bigblue WTHCG

KICKOFF Standings & Summary Congrats to winner - NHAGGIE!

Locked Previous topicNext topic