The USA gymnastics situation should be a bigger story.

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

The USA gymnastics situation should be a bigger story.

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 24th, 2018, 1:51 am

https://nypost.com/2018/01/18/usa-gymna ... -athletes/

It is approaching 200 victims of this monster and he was enabled by a whole group of people both at USA gymnastics and Michigan State University. It is a lesser sport, but this scandal is even worse than what happened at Penn State. They finally shut down the ranch where much of the abuse took place, but maybe they should just shut down USA gymnastics. Completely clean house and start over. At Michigan State, the whole leadership from the previous coach to the current President need to be held accountable.

swordsman1989

Re: The USA gymnastics situation should be a bigger story.

Post by swordsman1989 » January 24th, 2018, 7:33 am

You are correct, it should be at the top of the headlines. I hope there are some additional criminal charges coming against the others who enabled/protected/turned a blind eye to everything that was happening.

Once again, the "protect the institution" mentality needs to die a horrible death. So many atrocities are made worse in an attempt to protect an institution. Jerry Sandusky would have been locked up sooner, there would have been far fewer victims, Joe Paterno would not have had his reputation tarnished, Penn State would not have paid out millions in judgements, and the administration members would not have faced their own criminal charges if they had not had the desire to protect the institution back when Sandusky's actions first became known.

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » January 24th, 2018, 11:10 am

Speaking of "protect the institution", I agree Aggie in Hawaii. I'm amazed that Michigan State hasn't taken far more heat for this one. Think about how much Penn State took with the Sandusky thing, and IMO this is a much bigger, more visible case. People there had to have known. Nassar is going to prison for life, but those in charge at MSU and USA Gymnastics, and those close to the situation need to take much more heat for this one.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 24th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Yep. John Geddert who coached the 2012 Gold Medal team usa where 4 of the 5 girls were abused needs to be punished severely. He sent many girls through the years to Nassar.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 24th, 2018, 5:42 pm

What should be a bigger story are all the coaches who do amazing things and make so many lives better. Unfortunately, no one cares about positive news.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.
~Dudley Field Malone

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 24th, 2018, 6:12 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 5:42 pm
What should be a bigger story are all the coaches who do amazing things and make so many lives better. Unfortunately, no one cares about positive news.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Apples and Oranges. Yes good decent people should be highlighted more in our society, but in the Larry Nassar scandal, there were many enablers that need to be exposed, lose whatever authority they have and if applicable face jail time. Had people in a position of power taken it seriously in the 90's, there would be far less victims that had their lives forever altered by this monster.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 24th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 1:51 am

It is approaching 200 victims of this monster and he was enabled by a whole group of people both at USA gymnastics and Michigan State University. It is a lesser sport, but this scandal is even worse than what happened at Penn State. They finally shut down the ranch where much of the abuse took place, but maybe they should just shut down USA gymnastics. Completely clean house and start over. At Michigan State, the whole leadership from the previous coach to the current President need to be held accountable.
Local news just said that MSU president announced tonight that he'll be resigning tomorrow.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 24th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 6:12 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 5:42 pm
Apples and Oranges. Yes good decent people should be highlighted more in our society, but in the Larry Nassar scandal, there were many enablers that need to be exposed, lose whatever authority they have and if applicable face jail time. Had people in a position of power taken it seriously in the 90's, there would be far less victims that had their lives forever altered by this monster.
So this isn't this about news this should get more attention? I guess that was a rhetorical thing.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 25th, 2018, 1:23 am

Maybe it’s because I only read the liberal media, but I have seen multiple stories a day on the Nassar case for weeks, and weekly or so stories before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 25th, 2018, 11:54 am

Well...

https://deadspin.com/fox-sports-has-com ... 1822415652

Hail Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 25th, 2018, 10:07 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
January 25th, 2018, 1:23 am
Maybe it’s because I only read the liberal media, but I have seen multiple stories a day on the Nassar case for weeks, and weekly or so stories before that.

That is good. There are certainly some great people in the liberal media. I like Lawrence O'donnell.

AggieHead

Post by AggieHead » January 26th, 2018, 5:13 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:Maybe it’s because I only read the liberal media, but I have seen multiple stories a day on the Nassar case for weeks, and weekly or so stories before that.

I’m with you AK. It’s been a top story in my news feeds.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » January 30th, 2018, 11:03 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 9:08 pm
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 1:51 am

Local news just said that MSU president announced tonight that he'll be resigning tomorrow.
There is a case going on at WSU right now where some administrators are being sued over an employment issue. The weird thing is that they are suing the administrators themselves, rather than the university. I'm sure the lawyers on the board can tell us why this tactic is taken. The administrators have asked that the university provide for their legal defense, which I think the Board of Trustees has to approve. I can only imagine the kinds of civil lawsuits that are gearing up in the wake of this and the rest of the football/basketball allegations that are coming out of the woodwork.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » January 30th, 2018, 11:18 am

ESPN just did a big news report on the "other" problems with Michigan St. it was very interesting. There are problems top to bottom. The one thing that I have always thought about coaches, is that they can't know everything, but when they do know something they better get it taken care of. I would rather the general public here the things the program is doing, rather then the " It is being taken care of internally"

Locked Previous topicNext topic