Expansion Candidates - Who are they?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ViAggie

Expansion Candidates - Who are they?

Post by ViAggie » March 2nd, 2018, 11:41 am

Just a guess:

Gonzaga - obviously
St. Mary's - due to Gonzaga and a successful BB team
University of Pacific - makes sense, part of the old Big West
University of Denver - makes sense geographically, part of the former WAC
Grand Canyon - meh
NMSU - unlikely due to political reasons

In bold are my favorites. I don't think NMSU has a chance due to UNM and FB. There is no reason to take them as an oly-only sport school when they have an FBS FB team, it would be all or nothing, and why not?. byu is the outlier and would likely only attempt to come as a package deal with Gonzaga.

Personally I hate the idea of adding Grand Canyon - for profit "Christian" school, no thanks! Not sure why people are so high on them, because they advertise??? What ever.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

MalAgua

Re: Expansion Candidates - Who are they?

Post by MalAgua » March 2nd, 2018, 11:51 am

Cool, let's start building another conference with schools without football teams!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 2nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

well it's going to happen so...

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 2nd, 2018, 12:53 pm

Grab BYU and Gonzaga and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » March 2nd, 2018, 12:54 pm

CSU, AFA and Denver -and Laramie's only a few miles away? seems like a stretch for Denver bringing much value to the conference. Geographical proximity is about it

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 2nd, 2018, 1:47 pm

I'd prefer to keep the MW a football playing conference. I don't like the idea of having schools that do not participate in football.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 2nd, 2018, 2:02 pm

Just take Gonzaga so we have travel partners. Tell BYU to call when they want to bring all sports.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.
~Dudley Field Malone

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 2nd, 2018, 2:10 pm

My vote is to tell byu to go to hell altogether. Bringing byu in isn't worth the few extra hundred thousand dollars the conference would get for adding them.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » March 2nd, 2018, 4:10 pm

Gonzaga - obviously
University of Pacific - doesn't make sense, the bring nothing to the conference. If they aren't a big fanbase, bringing money, or a contender it does not good.
University of Denver - doesn't make sense geographically (too many schools close. no new TV market), Doesn't bring anything to the table.
Grand Canyon - I am split on this one. They have a huge student body and the potential for the phoenix tv market. Obviously it would be 3rd fiddle but better than our current stance. But they aren't proven winners. It is a gamble on if they can grow quickly.
NMSU - unlikely due to political reasons, but one of the best choices. Add Football (with BYU-Provo all sports) to make it 14 basketball and 14 football. If they continue to struggle it at least gives the Mountain division a body bag game that we have been using the West division for.

If the money works (no one is too greedy in asking for deals), I would add Gonzaga (non-football obviously), BYU-P (all sports), and NMSU (all sports). This is assuming no politics and that someone... doesn't think that they are too good for what they really are.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 2nd, 2018, 4:38 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
March 2nd, 2018, 4:10 pm
Gonzaga - obviously
University of Pacific - doesn't make sense, the bring nothing to the conference. If they aren't a big fanbase, bringing money, or a contender it does not good.
University of Denver - doesn't make sense geographically (too many schools close. no new TV market), Doesn't bring anything to the table.
Grand Canyon - I am split on this one. They have a huge student body and the potential for the phoenix tv market. Obviously it would be 3rd fiddle but better than our current stance. But they aren't proven winners. It is a gamble on if they can grow quickly.
NMSU - unlikely due to political reasons, but one of the best choices. Add Football (with BYU-Provo all sports) to make it 14 basketball and 14 football. If they continue to struggle it at least gives the Mountain division a body bag game that we have been using the West division for.

If the money works (no one is too greedy in asking for deals), I would add Gonzaga (non-football obviously), BYU-P (all sports), and NMSU (all sports). This is assuming no politics and that someone... doesn't think that they are too good for what they really are.
Who tho? Who could you be talking about?

I agree with what you said. Gonzaga is the exception because they are so freaking good at basketball. I would love to see BYU just rot, but it would be fine I guess if they come back on the MWC terms. So my two ideal scenarios:

1.a. Bring on Gonzaga, nobody else. Leave football at 12, basketball at 12 (and improved), screw BYU (always a good thing) by taking 1/3 of their conference away from them.

1.b. Do nothing

2. Bring on the Zags. Bring BYU and NMSU in all sport to go to 14 all around.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 2nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

I don’t get the obsession with NMSU. Hell no. They bring nothing.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » March 2nd, 2018, 5:55 pm

Could there be any possibility the commish has been in contact with any Big Sky schools? I'd like any Montana school or even E. Washington over NMSU.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 3rd, 2018, 12:44 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 2nd, 2018, 2:02 pm
Just take Gonzaga so we have travel partners. Tell BYU to call when they want to bring all sports.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
This ^^^^^^^

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 3rd, 2018, 1:51 pm

BYU has played a key roll in damaging the last two conferences they have been in. I don't like them, I don't trust them.

Only entertain BYU coming if they being football and then there is a ten year $100M buyout penalty due immediately upon a decision to leave the MW that goes down $5M power year after the tenth year is reached.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » March 4th, 2018, 9:44 am

I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people seem high on NMSU. This is a program that has averaged less than 3.5 wins per season in the past 25 years, and only has had three winning seasons during that time. The year before that 25 year time frame began, Sport Illustrated had an article covering how historically awful NMSU had been in the previous 20 years. This is a program that has been at the absolute bottom of FBS/D1A for close to half a century. Now, after one mediocre season (7-6) in the worst conference in FBS, everyone wants them for expansion. They still have no fan or institutional support, bad facilities, no market, and zero reason to think the mediocre season will translate into any sustained success.

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » March 4th, 2018, 10:43 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 9:44 am
I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people seem high on NMSU. This is a program that has averaged less than 3.5 wins per season in the past 25 years, and only has had three winning seasons during that time. The year before that 25 year time frame began, Sport Illustrated had an article covering how historically awful NMSU had been in the previous 20 years. This is a program that has been at the absolute bottom of FBS/D1A for close to half a century. Now, after one mediocre season (7-6) in the worst conference in FBS, everyone wants them for expansion. They still have no fan or institutional support, bad facilities, no market, and zero reason to think the mediocre season will translate into any sustained success.
  • Scoreboard.
    Past performance does not necessarily indicate future returns.
    Look in the mirror. We were pretty much in NMSU's position a mere 10-12 years ago.
I don't have any great love for NMSU, but to cast such aspersions from our mediocre and lowly perch smacks of low self-confidence, lashing out at our peers to desperately make ourselves feel better.

Yeah, they've sucked. We sucked, got better thanks in part to the WAC and MWC invites. And now we're tetering on the edge of suckiness again in both spots.

But by the grace of god...and Gary Anderson and Craig Thompson... go I.

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 4th, 2018, 12:01 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people seem high on NMSU. This is a program that has averaged less than 3.5 wins per season in the past 25 years, and only has had three winning seasons during that time. The year before that 25 year time frame began, Sport Illustrated had an article covering how historically awful NMSU had been in the previous 20 years. This is a program that has been at the absolute bottom of FBS/D1A for close to half a century. Now, after one mediocre season (7-6) in the worst conference in FBS, everyone wants them for expansion. They still have no fan or institutional support, bad facilities, no market, and zero reason to think the mediocre season will translate into any sustained success.

I’ve thought the same thing. I don’t get it. New Mexico State adds nothing.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » March 4th, 2018, 12:40 pm

AggieBlues wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 10:43 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 9:44 am
  • Scoreboard.
    Past performance does not necessarily indicate future returns.
    Look in the mirror. We were pretty much in NMSU's position a mere 10-12 years ago.
I don't have any great love for NMSU, but to cast such aspersions from our mediocre and lowly perch smacks of low self-confidence, lashing out at our peers to desperately make ourselves feel better.

Yeah, they've sucked. We sucked, got better thanks in part to the WAC and MWC invites. And now we're tetering on the edge of suckiness again in both spots.

But by the grace of god...and Gary Anderson and Craig Thompson... go I.
The big difference, and I mean BIG difference, is that USU had made some significant investments in its program in the years leading up to the WAC/MWC invites. The Stan Laub Center was completed in the late 1990s, prior to the WAC invite. The Laub Athletics and Academics Complex was completed (in 2008) and the Icon Strength and Conditioning Center was announced (in January 2012) prior to the MWC invite in May 2012. New Mexico State has made very little improvements in its facilities in recent years, the last major upgrade coming in 2004 with their Fulton Athletics Center. If NMSU had made significant investment in facilities in recent years, and shown a major commitment to their program, as USU had done in the five years prior to the MWC invite, then I would be far more supportive of their inclusion.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 6th, 2018, 11:59 am

You guys remember a few years back when there was talk about CUSA merging with the MWC for a super-duper conference? Remember that???? That + Gonzaga???

Hmmmmm

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 6th, 2018, 12:34 pm

We should merge with the PAC-12 and Big Sky and form a three-tier league.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
March 6th, 2018, 12:34 pm
We should merge with the PAC-12 and Big Sky and form a three-tier league.
it would benefit everyone BUT the PAC 12... especially the lower tier teams

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » March 7th, 2018, 12:02 pm

dyedblue wrote:
March 3rd, 2018, 1:51 pm
BYU has played a key roll in damaging the last two conferences they have been in. I don't like them, I don't trust them.

Only entertain BYU coming if they being football and then there is a ten year $100M buyout penalty due immediately upon a decision to leave the MW that goes down $5M power year after the tenth year is reached.

Try the last three, it was BYU (with their man, and number one Aggie hater,Ernie Wilkinson) who led the charge for the destruction of the Skyline Conference, when they created the WAC. This move left USU homeless. This BYU-led movement not only blew up the Skyline Conference but the Border Conference as well.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » March 13th, 2018, 7:28 pm

I think it was the Arizona schools and New Mexico that blew up the border conference. Losing Texas Tech earlier probably didn't help either.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic