For Those Who KNEW Gonzaga was Coming to the MWC...

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
NavyBlue

For Those Who KNEW Gonzaga was Coming to the MWC...

Post by NavyBlue » April 2nd, 2018, 11:23 am

What happened?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: For Those Who KNEW Gonzaga was Coming to the MWC...

Post by USU78 » April 2nd, 2018, 12:21 pm

I would have thought everybody learned an important lesson back when the P-10/12, Big-12, WAC, BWC, and MWC were at war over conference alignment. The insiders at USU were leaking information like crazy, and, for all we know, what they were leaking was the best information then available at the highest [president's office, athletics office] levels.

Problem was, and problem is, there are people outside the highest levels at USU who have agendas and who know things that are not necessarily the same things "known" by the highest levels at USU.

"Chooo! Chooo!" is nothing more than a best-info-available declaration on an event outside USU's and the MWC's control, when it comes to acts by 3rd parties. It's something far different when it comes to matters solely internal to USU and/or the MWC.

Keep that in mind, this stuff isn't hard at all.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » April 2nd, 2018, 12:27 pm

TWSS

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 2nd, 2018, 5:42 pm

Hair had the school presidents believing it was happening up until about a week ago...

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » April 2nd, 2018, 8:35 pm

Wcc made concessions to make Few happier. May work until the remainder wcc continue to suck

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 3rd, 2018, 9:20 am

I did notice that ESPN ran a message across the crawl line during the Orioles-Astros game last night stating that Gonzaga was staying in the WCC after considering joining the MW.

Eutaw St. Aggie

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 3rd, 2018, 9:29 am

As far as the schools knew, it was a done deal. Whether Gonzaga led Thompson to believe that or Thompson misled the presidents, I don’t know. But it looks like the WCC pretty much gave them an offer they felt that they couldn’t refuse. But as of about a week ago, the MW schools all thought it was a done deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 3rd, 2018, 11:07 am

Gonzaga asked to join, the MW schools were unanimous in favor of adding them. That was the done deal part. It looks like Gonzaga either got cold feet or were playing the MW like a fiddle, got what they washed and chose to stay put.

This will hurt Gonzaga in the future of they want it off the WCC. It sounds like they are very happy playing big fish in the small pond.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 3rd, 2018, 2:49 pm

Keep feasting on a steady diet of Santa Clara, San Diego, Pepperdine and temple tech etc. Time to move on from Gonzaga.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 3rd, 2018, 3:30 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 11:07 am
Gonzaga asked to join, the MW schools were unanimous in favor of adding them. That was the done deal part. It looks like Gonzaga either got cold feet or were playing the MW like a fiddle, got what they washed and chose to stay put.

This will hurt Gonzaga in the future of they want it off the WCC. It sounds like they are very happy playing big fish in the small pond.

Gonzaga didn't ask the Mountain West to join. It was the MW who asked Gonzaga to join.
“The reality is, the Mountain West contacted us and asked us to consider joining,” said Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth. “We set the table early on by saying there were going to be some significant hurdles for us to overcome — never saying they were insurmountable. There were just things we needed to figure out.”
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/a ... st-confer/

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 3rd, 2018, 5:21 pm

Meh they weren't a good fit IMHO. The MWC is made up of large, Western based PUBLIC institutions. Not small, parochial schools. Trips up to the great northwest? Meh....

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 3rd, 2018, 5:24 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 5:21 pm
Meh they weren't a good fit IMHO. The MWC is made up of large, Western based PUBLIC institutions. Not small, parochial schools. Trips up to the great northwest? Meh....
I tend to agree and would also add because they are a non-football sponsoring school. Including schools that don't sponsor the sport that drives the bus is a scary proposition for conference stability. This is why I would have preferred Wichita St. over Gonzaga because at least they have aspirations of bringing their football program back.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 4th, 2018, 3:02 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 5:21 pm
I would have loved to have added Gonzaga. With Hawaii as football only it would have worked to slide Gonzaga in as the 12th school for basketball and other sports. Gonzaga has made the sweet sixteen 4 years in a row and has a team next year that will be a final four contender. Few programs have had more tournament success than the Zags recently.. The move would have immediately elevated our conference.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 4th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Personally, if this new coach pans out- I'd rather a year or two of growth without Gonzaga. If we turn it around and get back to where we 8 years ago because of the coach, then Gonzaga could maybe join at that time and we are even better.

But, Gonzaga coming would have still been huge.

Locked Previous topicNext topic