2018 World Cup

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
trombone_ninja

Re: 2018 World Cup

Post by trombone_ninja » June 27th, 2018, 10:02 am

Absolute madness in Group F today.

Sweden, on the verge of elimination, manhandles Mexico to win the group. Meanwhile Mexico, knowing that a loss against Sweden likely meant elimination, catches a massive break in the form of Sout Korea (yes, South Korea) defeating the defending World Cup champions.

I love this tournament

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » June 27th, 2018, 10:38 am

Still upset about Argentina going through. That was very fun watching group F today.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » June 28th, 2018, 12:39 pm

IMO- with the exception of the final 30 minutes against Sweden and 10+9 against SK, Germany looked pretty much like they were out of sorts - almost like they didn't feel urgency or had some serious internal issues. I started thinking at about the 20 minute of the Mexico game that going to the Brackets was not likely for the Germans. And yet, all they needed was a goal in the first 89 minutes of their game against SK, and they probably would have been able to close out, to probably have been able to pass through to play Brazil.

Disappointing for me as Germany introduced me to the game way back in 1988 when I was in Stuttgart for a student exchange during the Euros, and watched every game with my host family.

Now, I'll be rooting for England in memory of AggieSports - God rest his soul...

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » June 28th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Vamos Colombia!

I sure hope James Rodriguez can be back for Tuesday. Even though he hasn't been scoring, he set up two of the goals in the Poland game beautifully, but was completely nonexistent today before they subbed him out. Thank goodness for all 6'5" of Mina. He is Colombia's leading goal scorer this World Cup.

England will be a hard match, but if they can get past them, Switzerland or Sweden should be a bit easier for a trip to the semifinals.
Last edited by jpswensen on June 28th, 2018, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 28th, 2018, 3:05 pm

jpswensen wrote:
June 28th, 2018, 2:45 pm
Vamos Colombia!

I sure hope James Rodriguez can be back for Tuesday. Even though he hasn't been scoring, he said up two of the goals in the Poland game beautifully, but was completely nonexistent today before they subbed him out. Thank goodness for all 6'5" of Mina. He is Colombia's leading goal scorer this World Cup.

England will be a hard match, but if they can get past them, Switzerland or Sweden should be a bit easier for a trip to the semifinals.
Colombia needs James to make it past England, I think. Crazy that Senegal got booted out of group play by virtue of yellow cards, lol.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 28th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Belgium looks the best to me thus far. How can they be good at soccer with six Trappist breweries in Belgium, and lots of techno dancing?

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » June 29th, 2018, 12:08 am

trombone_ninja wrote:
June 27th, 2018, 10:02 am
Absolute madness in Group F today.

Sweden, on the verge of elimination, manhandles Mexico to win the group. Meanwhile Mexico, knowing that a loss against Sweden likely meant elimination, catches a massive break in the form of Sout Korea (yes, South Korea) defeating the defending World Cup champions.

I love this tournament
I had tickets and was supposed to be at the Germany game. Work had other plans. I was going with friends from South Korea apparently after the game they were treated like celebrities. They told me people kept coming up to them and shaking their hand. I'll be bitter about missing this game for a while.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Locked Previous topicNext topic